• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2011/2012 | OT12 | All the clowns were offside...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nani says he wants to stay and his agent is in talks with United over a new contract.

http://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/2896/premier-league/2012/07/07/3226084/nani-reveals-he-is-in-negotiation-with-man-united-over-new?source=breakingnews

twitter rumours United and Porto have agreed a deal for Moutinho at £25m and it's up to the player to decide between Spurs and United
Man we really need to make sure we get Nani signed up. He is worth more than £90k p/w now. 90k p/w was a good wage a few years ago, clubs are richer these days give him what he deserves. They say Young is on £120k p/w, Nani deserves at least that, if true. Would be a massive loss to us if we sold him. Luckily he still has 2 years on his current deal so there is time enough to have it at all settled.

Can't really imagine there is much truth in the Mancini rumours. Would expect City to come out and deny it before long.

Clegg

Wouldn't be surprised if Moutinho chooses Spurs. Link up with AVB again plus can slot straight in as a replacement for Modric. With Man Utd, he'd have to contend with Kagawa, Carrick, etc.

Kagawa isn't a CM, Scholes will only play once every 3 games, Anderson is shit and Cleverley unproven. If United signed Moutinho then he'd be Carricks partner in midfield.

When Carrick begins to decline as a player, Moutinho will still be in his 20's. It would be a perfectly sensible signing for United to make.

Which of course means that he's going to Spurs.

Wouldn't be surprised if Moutinho chooses Spurs. Link up with AVB again plus can slot straight in as a replacement for Modric. With Man Utd, he'd have to contend with Kagawa, Carrick, etc.
Wouldn't be surprised if he did go to Spurs (though I naturally think MUFC have enough to offer even though he loves AVB) but I don't think competition is the one of his doubts when it comes to United...our CM is dire and crying out for players like Moutinho.

I'm not really totally sold on Moutinho tbh but I'm desperate and he certainly could be very good so yeah, fingers crossed.

Carbonox

Kagawa isn't a CM, Scholes will only play once every 3 games, Anderson is shit and Cleverley unproven. If United signed Moutinho then he'd be Carricks partner in midfield.

When Carrick begins to decline as a player, Moutinho will still be in his 20's. It would be a perfectly sensible signing for United to make.

Which of course means that he's going to Spurs.

That's true I guess. Still, my offer of Bebe for Cabaye still stands.

Clegg

I also think that Fletcher is done as a professional footballer.

Just can't see him making a return. And even if he does its very unlikely that he'll be as good as he used to be.

rififi

About Modric to Real, the latest reports from Marca and AS are citing the Sun and Daily Mail as sources (reporting that if Real don't come to a deal by the 18th of July, Modric is looking for other options because he doesn't want to stay at Tottenham).

Obviously the reports aren't credible, and paying 40 million euros for a player who won't be playing the majority of games is ridiculous, even for Madrid it's ridiculous.

Plus, I don't want him at Madrid, I want Sahin to get more playing time.

Another reason the rumours about Modric to Real exits is that one of his agents (Mario Mamic) was in Madrid a few weeks ago "seen" with Madrid people.

I also think that Fletcher is done as a professional footballer.

Just can't see him making a return. And even if he does its very unlikely that he'll be as good as he used to be.
Yeah I am not really holding out much hope for Fletch. Tbh, him getting back to health just to lead a normal day to day life would be great, his illness sounds terrible and it seems people really struggle with it.

He was pictured at Wimbledon last week, still looked very weak and ill. Very sad for him, he was beginning to become a really great player for us and I actually think he could have even pushed on to become captain. Certainly in a season like last season where he would have played alot of games.

Fergie said that "we'll see" in regards to him which to me basically means, it's not looking good but we hope it gets better :(

Clegg

Yeah I am not really holding out much hope for Fletch. Tbh, him getting back to health just to lead a normal day to day life would be great, his illness sounds terrible and it seems people really struggle with it.

He was pictured at Wimbledon last week, still looked very weak and ill. Very sad for him, he was beginning to become a really great player for us and I actually think he could have even pushed on to become captain. Certainly in a season like last season where he would have played alot of games.

Fergie said that "we'll see" in regards to him which to me basically means, it's not looking good but we hope it gets better :(

I still don't get why we leave our CM so underdeveloped. SAF has brought in Jones and Smalling to eventually take over from Rio and Vidic. We're well stocked for wingers and strikers too but our midfield has no depth at all.

We don't seem to have planned for Scholes retirement and we kept waiting for Hargreaves to make a return, which he never did. And it looks likely that Fletch won't make it back either. It's a bit perplexing.

Salvadora

It has to be a case of Ferguson missing out on his preferred targets rather than ignoring the obvious problem. I still think United will bolster the midfield this summer unfortunately.

Wessiej

Last photo of him ;(

Goodbye my friend. Ugh, now I must follow Newcastle the next season, no problem ;)

12876_1_1_1.jpg

K1LLER7

Anderson's run of injuries has really affected the Midfield. I'm sure SAF thought he'd be the one to take over from Scholes and after his first season, things looked promising. Shame his injurys have had a massive impact on his game and he's not really been the same player. Thankfully Carrick stepped up last season and hopefully he can take it through to next season.

I still don't get why we leave our CM so underdeveloped. SAF has brought in Jones and Smalling to eventually take over from Rio and Vidic. We're well stocked for wingers and strikers too but our midfield has no depth at all.

We don't seem to have planned for Scholes retirement and we kept waiting for Hargreaves to make a return, which he never did. And it looks likely that Fletch won't make it back either. It's a bit perplexing.
I have no explanation other than to say I think it's a blind spot of Ferguson's. Even when you consider the players we have missed out on...not too many of them strike me as the type of players we would need in that part of the pitch.

I don't think Fergie appreciates the importance of a strong and diverse CM or else it would have been addressed. When he said at the end of last season that he didn't believe he needed to sign a DM or a player in that specific role because he never has done before...that's what I took from it. The game has moved on and 2 all round CM's don't quite work anymore, at least not in all instances. He said after the City game that he thought Scholes and Carrick were our best players. Funnily enough, I thought they did okay that game...but the game was most certainly lost in midfield and I don't think Fergie recognises that. We need some different options there, stronger players and players who can carry the ball a little bit. Him going after these attacking and pacey forwards suggests to me he thinks that is where we're most lacking.

I'm not saying he thinks the CM is fine and dandy, just that I really don't think he sees it as an area of massive weakness, which IMO it has been from time to time. You look at some of the CM's who have moved clubs over the last few years, we did not get a single one, nevermind that we were never even interested in a single one, not that we know of anyway.

Heres a question for non-British Footygaf in regards to the Premier League.

How did you come to support your club? I assume most of you followed the WC/Euros then picked the best players from that?

Clegg

I have no explanation other than to say I think it's a blind spot of Ferguson's. Even when you consider the players we have missed out on...not too many of them strike me as the type of players we would need in that part of the pitch.

I don't think Fergie appreciates the importance of a strong and diverse CM or else it would have been addressed. When he said at the end of last season that he didn't believe he needed to sign a DM or a player in that specific role because he never has done before...that's what I took from it. The game has moved on and 2 all round CM's don't quite work anymore, at least not in all instances. He said after the City game that he thought Scholes and Carrick were our best players. Funnily enough, I thought they did okay that game...but the game was most certainly lost in midfield and I don't think Fergie recognises that. We need some different options there, stronger players and players who can carry the ball a little bit. Him going after these attacking and pacey forwards suggests to me he thinks that is where we're most lacking.

I'm not saying he thinks the CM is fine and dandy, just that I really don't think he sees it as an area of massive weakness, which IMO it has been from time to time. You look at some of the CM's who have moved clubs over the last few years, we did not get a single one, nevermind that we were never even interested in a single one, not that we know of anyway.

I'd go along with this. Fergie also seems to be hell bent in persisting with the players he has.

Its the only explanation I can think of as to why he never tried to sign someone during Hargreaves injury.

jtb

Banned
Forlan is heading back to South America? :lol what a horrible horrible transfer. he's scored, what, one goal since moving to Inter and Moratti didn't even know he was cup tied for the Champions League. embarrassing.

GorillaJu

How did you come to support your club? I assume most of you followed the WC/Euros then picked the best players from that?

The 2002 world cup got me interested in soccer for the first time. Got really excited about Landon Donovan, who was I think 20 or so years old at the time.

I kind of forgot about it for awhile, then decided to follow Arsenal, as I liked Thierry Henry. Followed off and on just watching matches here and there, and in 2005, jumped on the Liverpool bandwagon after the CL final. So... yeah I haven't been a fan all that long, I suppose. But then again, I am a lot older than most of you snot-nosed pre-teens, so for you, 10 years of watching football is like half your lifespan.

Saw Chelsea against Copenhagen as a kid. Then Grønkjær joined a season or two later and I decided all those red shirts the other kids were wearing were ugly/my dad bought me a Chelsea shirt. No other deeper meaning behind it.

jtb

Banned
About Modric to Real, the latest reports from Marca and AS are citing the Sun and Daily Mail as sources (reporting that if Real don't come to a deal by the 18th of July, Modric is looking for other options because he doesn't want to stay at Tottenham).

Obviously the reports aren't credible, and paying 40 million euros for a player who won't be playing the majority of games is ridiculous, even for Madrid it's ridiculous.

Plus, I don't want him at Madrid, I want Sahin to get more playing time.

Another reason the rumours about Modric to Real exits is that one of his agents (Mario Mamic) was in Madrid a few weeks ago "seen" with Madrid people.

Coentrao played just 20 league games this year, cost 40 million, and was a left back. Madrid (or probably Mou) is all about winning the CL, at whatever costs, and if that means replacing Kaka's injured ass with another world class midfielder in Modric, I can definitely see it happening, especially with Sahin used in a swap deal. the Higuain suggestion though.... can't really believe that. He's got several more years on his contract and will be coming to Arsenal swapping with RVP!!!!
that will never happen.

Desmond

Parents used to always take the ferry over from Dublin to England to see United when they were dating. When I was born, I was raised a fan.

GQman2121

Banned

The 98' World Cup drew me in. And then I really liked these three guys.

ij2eJkCSbYnLM.jpg

SNN0105MD-280_996116a.jpg

And although he's never played in the league, I've always really liked Christian Vieri too.

Kyoufu

Paddy Power is going to turn me into a gambling addict at this rate.

I had a 5 quid free bet so I played Zuma Slots for a laugh. Put down a quid and hit the slot roll... won 36 quid.

:s

Meier

Mancini is trending on Twitter for the most hilariously surreal reasons.

Russian 'rumours' saying he's signed to coach national team

Been catching up since going to bed last night.. nutty! I know the Russian fan in the thread mentioned Pep was rumored to be on his way to meet with them about the job. Talk about ready to spend the cash.

Edit: Supposedly Mancini would earn €7.2m (which is £5.7m). The offer from City is already £5 million.. seems crazy.

Bergkamp and RVP played for Arsenal and they were/are my favorite players. For the rest I can only say that the club just clicked for me.

Arnie

I posted a thread on RAWK. Countdown until it's locked?

YMIDB.gif

I take it it's the Sturridge thread? Some right knuckle draggers in there. People who can't separate Stobart from Goal, and some muppet who doesn't think Sturridge is worth £10 million. Given the wage debate, and the raft of new options Di Matteo has available, plus the fact that Di Matteo doesn't even play Sturridge I'd say it's pretty likely he'll leave.

Got a horrible feeling Spurs will get him though. Seems par for the course this summer.

MPW

Bayern Munich want to sign Germany international Sami Khedira but Real Madrid will only entertain their advances if Bastian Schweinsteiger is allowed to move in the other direction

great deal for both sides, right? :D

rififi

Coentrao played just 20 league games this year, cost 40 million, and was a left back. Madrid (or probably Mou) is all about winning the CL, at whatever costs, and if that means replacing Kaka's injured ass with another world class midfielder in Modric, I can definitely see it happening, especially with Sahin used in a swap deal. the Higuain suggestion though.... can't really believe that. He's got several more years on his contract and will be coming to Arsenal swapping with RVP!!!!
that will never happen.

True, now that I am thinking about it a bit more, I can see why Modric is wanted as well.

Although Madrid already have Khedira and Sahin (he's not leaving and has already vocally refused any move this summer) to play a similar CM role, Alonso is getting older, Ozil doesn't really have a backup, and I don't think Mourinho rates Granero highly enough. Madrid are definitely looking for at least one extra midfielder, but Modric is too good a player and too costly to be only a backup. I still don't think Madrid is willing to pay that much for him (or give up Higuain after the huge ordeal of convincing him to stay at the end of the season), but maybe I am just delusional.
While Coentrao was definitely overpriced, Marcelo was the only LB, so he had no one else in his position at the time.

And in all fairness, Coentrao only cost 30 million euros :/

dc89

Guidetti tweeted a pic of his locker at Carrington. Next to Balotelli!

I honestly think City will utilize him this season.

MPW

Higuain to Spurs would be ... -_________- Calling it now, 2012 PL top scorers: Gonzalo Higuain & Sergio Agüero.

after all that time madrid players and mourinho spent trying to convince him to stay, i highly doubt madrid will give him away that easily

Bayern Munich want to sign Germany international Sami Khedira but Real Madrid will only entertain their advances if Bastian Schweinsteiger is allowed to move in the other direction

Khedira is more consistent, younger and no pussy, you'd lose in that case.

spidye

lol

mou, u so cray

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom