• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2011/2012 | OT12 | All the clowns were offside...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bergkamp and RVP played for Arsenal and they were/are my favorite players. For the rest I can only say that the club just clicked for me.

COOL! Yeah Bergkamp is an utter legend, will always be adored by us fans, unlike a certain other Dutchman ;)

The 98' World Cup drew me in. And then I really liked these three guys.

And although he's never played in the league, I've always really liked Christian Vieri too.

Best Chelsea. Awesome players.

Parents used to always take the ferry over from Dublin to England to see United when they were dating. When I was born, I was raised a fan.

Awwwwwwwwwwwww. Football really does bring people together :) xx

Saw Chelsea against Copenhagen as a kid. Then Grønkjær joined a season or two later and I decided all those red shirts the other kids were wearing were ugly/my dad bought me a Chelsea shirt. No other deeper meaning behind it.

lol I remember Gronkjaer, pretty decent player. Reminded me of Gudjohnsen when he played for Chelsea :p

The 2002 world cup got me interested in soccer for the first time. Got really excited about Landon Donovan, who was I think 20 or so years old at the time.

I kind of forgot about it for awhile, then decided to follow Arsenal, as I liked Thierry Henry. Followed off and on just watching matches here and there, and in 2005, jumped on the Liverpool bandwagon after the CL final. So... yeah I haven't been a fan all that long, I suppose. But then again, I am a lot older than most of you snot-nosed pre-teens, so for you, 10 years of watching football is like half your lifespan.

Gloryhunter ;)

Yeah Henry was my favourite player (and still is).

These stories are cool! Keep them coming lads, really interesting :)

Carbonox

Guidetti tweeted a pic of his locker at Carrington. Next to Balotelli!

I honestly think City will utilize him this season.

Yeah, next to Van Persie, Aguero, Dzeko, Balotelli and Tevez. Plus you need to get rid of Adebayor. Delirious Man City fan is delirious. We'll take Guidetti off your hands for 6m. kkthx.

So, I was just checking out our online store and found out that Puma put up a third kit without anyone noticing I think, at least I haven't heard anything of it. Well here it is:
w2i7e.jpg

They should have made this shirt yellow and made it our home shirt. I would have bought that...

Can someone else watch this video and tell me if I'm being deluded thinking this kid's special? I wish Chriswok was here so he could give me an opinion on where he thinks this lad stacks up as an 18 year old.
He is clearly supremely gifted. I saw him against the United kids a couple of times and I've seen some of his other YouTube clips, his range of passing is outstanding. First time I've seen such smart feet from him too.

I would be very excited. The thing is though, from here on it won't be about his technical ability, he has that for life now. It'll be physical and mental hurdles which he has to over come at first team level where he will have players sticking to him like shit and breathing down his neck. He'll have to show strength physically but of mind too for his talent to shine when put under those pressures, quickness of thought to pick those passes with less time and space etc....and really, the only way of testing that is to see how he does when in the first team.

He's 18 now, about time he got a chance. Plenty of players start playing by then, let's hope Rodgers give him a chance.

Btw, not a fan of the haircut, his long locks looked much better.

Feorax

I take it it's the Sturridge thread? Some right knuckle draggers in there. People who can't separate Stobart from Goal, and some muppet who doesn't think Sturridge is worth £10 million. Given the wage debate, and the raft of new options Di Matteo has available, plus the fact that Di Matteo doesn't even play Sturridge I'd say it's pretty likely he'll leave.

Got a horrible feeling Spurs will get him though. Seems par for the course this summer.

For him to go to Spurs would mean he would likely be played wide right again under AVB. Don't think he'll be to keen on that...

lol I remember Gronkjaer, pretty decent player. Reminded me of Gudjohnsen when he played for Chelsea :p

Was at the same time (for a little)!

jC3E1.jpg

Shame injuries ruined so much of his career... But well, without the injuries Copenhagen would probably never have gotten him. But... Dat goal against United

iniUmJ3ToROle.gif

Arnie

He is clearly supremely gifted. I saw him against the United kids a couple of times and I've seen some of his other YouTube clips, his range of passing is outstanding. First time I've seen such smart feet from him too.

I would be very excited. The thing is though, from here on it won't be about his technical ability, he has that for life now. It'll be physical and mental hurdles which he has to over come at first team level where he will have players sticking to him like shit and breathing down his neck. He'll have to show strength physically but of mind too for his talent to shine when put under those pressures, quickness of thought to pick those passes with less time and space etc....and really, the only way of testing that is to see how he does when in the first team.

He's 18 now, about time he got a chance. Plenty of players start playing by then, let's hope Rodgers give him a chance.

Yep, stage 1 is complete for him, I don't see how much more he can learn from playing youth/reserve matches when he's performing to such a standard at this level of competition. The only way he's going to grow further and become the player his potential suggests is to train and play in a first team, with and against quality international players. Luckily we've just hired a manager that perfectly compliments Suso's abilities; if Rodgers was to visualise his perfect youth talent to come into his system I can't imagine it'd be far off Suso. Credit needs to go to Rafa for ringing him up and persuading him to come here whilst Real and Barca were circling.

I love his new haircut, vastly prefer it to his old mop. The boys developing an insane amount of swagger.

Also Indiana Jones on BBC1 is making me want to plug my PS3 in and finish Uncharted 3. Only got about half way through at christmas.

For him to go to Spurs would mean he would likely be played wide right again under AVB. Don't think he'll be to keen on that...
All signs do point to Liverpool. He'd be perfect for us. A natural finisher in the centre, exactly what we've been missing since we sold Torres.

You can have him for free next season if you want.

I know I'm going on about it a bit, but I've heard the justifications for him having less than a year left on his contract, and they're not good enough for me. Its stupidity to have let it get this far unless we have an agreement in place with him

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
Heres a question for non-British Footygaf in regards to the Premier League.

How did you come to support your club? I assume most of you followed the WC/Euros then picked the best players from that?

I started watching the US team during the 2010 World Cup and decided to follow Everton due to its strong American ties.

Wessiej

Was at the same time (for a little)!

Shame injuries ruined so much of his career... But well, without the injuries Copenhagen would probably never have gotten him. But... Dat goal against United

Oh man, Grønkjær was always my favorite player when I was young. Saw him face to face when I was 9 or something, was awesome at that time.

really? he looks like he lost at least 20 kilos in the last two years and got nearly 10 years younger.
Yeah, at the end of his Bayern-period he looked awful. World trip + chilling hard made him to look good again. Good for him.

Arnie

I know I'm going on about it a bit, but I've heard the justifications for him having less than a year left on his contract, and they're not good enough for me. Its stupidity to have let it get this far unless we have an agreement in place with him

I'll cry if we don't renew it. I've tweeted Jimmy Rice to ask Rodgers next time they chat. I've just got to remain confident that Rodgers wants him, and that we'll get it sorted. If we can assume Sterling's going to be training at Melwood from now on, Suso has to as well.

He looks class. I would love to see him more in the Premier League but a technically gifted Spaniard such as himself will probably have many eyes on him from Spain's clubs, I reckon.
He chose to come to us when he had offers from Real and Barca. I don't doubt he probably harbours aspirations of playing in La Liga one day, and I don't doubt that day will come, but for now I'd imagine he wants to play in the Premier League; and he's surrounded by Spanish speaking players as well as a Spanish speaking manager who appreciates his style of football. Everything's primed for him to exceed here.

Yeah I would be pretty worried, esp after what happened with Pogba. Clubs will know about him and will be watching and waiting to pounce. Also, without meaning to sound like a dick...there could be some teams which come in for him that are more attractive to him than LFC right now.

If he wants to stay though, he will. What are the apparent reasons his contract hasn't been extended? I'd want that sorted very quickly.

Yeah I would be pretty worried, esp after what happened with Pogba. Clubs will know about him and will be watching and waiting to pounce. Also, without meaning to sound like a dick...there could be some teams which come in for him that are more attractive to him than LFC right now.

If he wants to stay though, he will. What are the apparent reasons his contract hasn't been extended? I'd want that sorted very quickly.

For the first 4 or so months of last season, Suso was underperforming. Borrell gave an interview to the OS in which he criticised Suso's workrate and consistency, and singled him out as one who has to work harder to succeed. Since then, Suso has been great. Some people think that we're holding back on the contract until he proves he can work like that for longer than 5 months. I personally don;t think its worth risking losing him for free, just so we can dangle the contract in front of him so that he's more likely to fulfil his potential. It will have been a waste of time, money and effort if we end up witholding the carrot for so long that he decides to apply himself and ends up leaving on a free regardless.

He should be regularly training at Melwood, and he should be given a contract. The carrot should be first team appearances, not a contract.

keit4

Banned
Santiago Cañizares (spanish goalkeeper) just published nude pics of his wife in twitter by mistake LOL The guy is TT right now...

For the first 4 or so months of last season, Suso was underperforming. Borrell gave an interview to the OS in which he criticised Suso's workrate and consistency, and singled him out as one who has to work harder to succeed. Since then, Suso has been great. Some people think that we're holding back on the contract until he proves he can work like that for longer than 5 months. I personally don;t think its worth risking losing him for free, just so we can dangle the contract in front of him so that he's more likely to fulfil his potential. It will have been a waste of time, money and effort if we end up witholding the carrot for so long that he decides to apply himself and ends up leaving on a free regardless.

He should be regularly training at Melwood, and he should be given a contract. The carrot should be first team appearances, not a contract.
mino-raiola.jpg

Pogba's agent, lives for this kinda shit

Yeah that doesn't really make full sense. Maybe it's been on hold because they knew there would be new management and now Rodgers is in he'll make the call.

mino-raiola.jpg

Pogba's agent, lives for this kinda shit

Yeah that doesn't really make full sense. Maybe it's been on hold because they knew there would be new management and now Rodgers is in he'll make the call.

Him and the Venky's owners must be the most corrupt looking motherfuckers in football. Redknapp as well.

dc89

Yeah, next to Van Persie, Aguero, Dzeko, Balotelli and Tevez. Plus you need to get rid of Adebayor. Delirious Man City fan is delirious. We'll take Guidetti off your hands for 6m. kkthx.

Stranger things have happened.

You know how Spain played with 6 midfielders?

Well City are going 4-0-6.

I swear I've seen Man Utd play with 4 out and out srikers when chasing a game in the last 10 minutes. Think it was Rooney, Berbatov, Tevez and someone else

I swear I've seen Man Utd play with 4 out and out srikers when chasing a game in the last 10 minutes. Think it was Rooney, Berbatov, Tevez and someone else
We had those 3 and Ronaldo when we came back against Spurs in 09 for the whole second half. Rooney and Ronaldo on the wings. Carrick and Scholes in CM!

Swance

Neo Member

How did you come to support your club? I assume most of you followed the WC/Euros then picked the best players from that?

I began following international football much more closely beginning with EURO 08. I started playing FIFA games regularly in 2008 (FIFA 09) as well and I would always use City because I loved their badge/kits (the massive transfer budget didn't hurt). While I was watching City against the Whitecaps and Galaxy in the pre-season, I decided that this was the year I would start watching all their matches. After the season opener against Swansea, I was hooked. I'm Canadian and have been watching hockey my entire life but I would say football is rapidly becoming my favourite sport.

rodvik

JT defence force?

Now I've seen everything

#freeJT

Speaking of which I wonder what the outcome of the trail will be? I think he is guilty (The Ferdinands maybe semi-twats but they dont go around making shit up) but I would be happy if it turned out it was all a mistake.

K1LLER7

We had those 3 and Ronaldo when we came back against Spurs in 09 for the whole second half. Rooney and Ronaldo on the wings. Carrick and Scholes in CM!
Missed that team :( Tevez while he was at United was far from being a JT.

Until he went to City, and then it all went bad.

Lightning

Banned

My mum and dad took me to London when I was a child, we stayed in North London and we went to a Man Utd vs. Arsenal game at Highbury and we stayed at a hotel surrounded by Arsenal fans and from that point I always supported and loved Arsenal. This happened right at the start of the Wenger era, Bergkamp had just been purchased, and Bruce Rioch was the manager although he didn't last long. I grew up with Bergkamp as my idol which passed to Fabregas once Bergkamp retired.

I'm not really totally sold on Moutinho tbh but I'm desperate and he certainly could be very good so yeah, fingers crossed.

I know, tournament play syndrome can strike, but I thought he was grand in the Euros. Key to Portugal's progress, as much as Ronaldo huffed and puffed in the limelight.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom