• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2011/2012 | OT12 | All the clowns were offside...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Messi

Haha, Yeah ones of the best seasons I've seen. City signed Robinho and United spent 30m on Berbatov. CL was great too with Iniestas last minute goal against Chelsea. Even Darron Gibson scored on the last day lol.

Shame it was Ronaldo's last season at United, Tevez's too :(

Newcastle were relegated :p
And there was the Benitez FACTS!! tantrum

"INNNNNNNNNNIESSSSSTTTTAAAAAAAAAA!!! Its heartbreak at stamford bridge...." me nearly in tears, I nearly died that night.

Then last year happened, horror show. Ah well.

fuenf

Just skimmed through the Kicker Preview:
Dortmund's Neven Subotic apparently dreams about playing in the PL one day (start the rumour mill...)
Bayern counts on getting Martinez and doesnt have a alternative plan.

Jensen

Just my opinion on the matter. Read a few of his posts and just get the feeling that he doesn't like us too much.

Which is rather bizarre.
I'm not sure, I just tried to search for some posts where he mentions anything to do with this thread or football(apart from his clarification on that word) and all I could find is this.

Sylver

Banned
Sure it's posted here but:

Spain under19 has just won the Eurocup, great future.
6QckS.jpg

Spain 1 - 0 Greece. Now let's see what we do on the Olympic Games.

Dortmund's Neven Subotic apparently dreams about playing in the PL one day (start the rumour mill...)

Welcome to, like, what, 4 years ago?

I think I just posted an interview with Subotic about that subject one or two weeks ago. He said something like "it's a dream but dreams don't always have to become real".

Edit: yeah, found it:
"I've always said that it's been a childhood dream of mine to play in England and I have always watched the Premier League," Subotic says. "But I don't have to do everything I wanted to do as a kid - I also wanted to be an astronaut but I can't see that happening!

"I'm not sure if it's a child's dream or still my dream but it's the hardest league in Europe and the most aggressive and I like that. However, I wouldn't be where I am now without Jurgen Klopp. First of all, he brought me to Germany from America and I signed my first deal with him at Mainz, and then he gave me the opportunity to join him at Dortmund, which was another big step. I have a lot to thank him for and Dortmund remains my home."
http://soccernet.espn.go.com/column...nterview---home-is-where-the-heart-is?cc=5739

PaulLFC

Oops. Apologies. I don't know where I got that idea from.
Not just you, I thought that too. I thought I remembered the thread about him being a mod referring to him as she, wonder who I got him confused with.

Also, why doesn't he like this thread?

fuenf

Ever since Mumei became a mod, this thread has been in ruins. Coincidence?

Well i think that (anti-) sexism / discrimination is simply a topic that's dear to his heart, he might appear a little over sensitive in some cases but oversensitivity is still better than ignorance. Cant really fault him for anything that's going on here, it's just that a little more transparency and consistency would be welcomed.

Welcome to, like, what, 4 years ago?

I think I just posted an interview with Subotic about that subject one or two weeks ago. He said something like "it's a dream but dreams don't always have to become real".

I just posted the most interesting tidbits from the Kicker preview.

rodvik

Ever since Mumei became a mod, this thread has been in ruins. Coincidence?

"you have destroyed your lands! you will not destroy mine!"

Seriously I havent seen it. A bunch of mods have been on the "please stop swearing so much" trip , which while annoying really doesnt seem that unreasonable for a site that relies on ad traffic.

There has been some idiocy around the claim that calling someone a JT is sexist (which is just flat wrong) but beyond that its been the usual Euros/World Cup twattery fall out which always happens. Its like E3, every year it claims a few :)

Besides if we did have a new mod who was a bad one and was bigoted against a particular group of gaffers he/she would self implode over time, they always do.

I just posted the most interesting tidbits from the Kicker preview.

Well yeah, but I just don't know how this is interesting anymore. I think everyone already knows that Subotic loves the PL. That has been known since he signed for us. The interview I posted is much more interesting and gives a new perspective on the subject. I was pretty sure he'd leave after this season but I can definately see him sign a new contract now.

Edit: I just found out that we won against Schlacke the day Subotic was born, that's pretty awesome :D

fuenf

Well yeah, but I just don't know how this is interesting anymore. I think everyone already knows that Subotic loves the PL. That has been known since he signed for us. The interview I posted is much more interesting and gives a new perspective on the subject. I was pretty sure he'd leave after this season but I can definately see him sign a new contract now.

Edit: I just found out that we won against Schlacke the day Subotic was born, that's pretty awesome :D

well it's football gossip season ;)

edit: tbh i'm just jealous. would love to hear Robben say something similar. ;)

Arnie

Am I missing the joke here? He plays for Barca.

He is greedy but he is phenomenally talented. Decision making can and probably will be improved. Most likely another future Barca star.

Does Rodriguez play for Real then? Commentator was talking about one of the strikers making his debut for Real last season, for some reason I assigned that to Deulofeu.

He's talented, sure, but his decision making is woeful and his dribbling is sloppy. He's very un-Spanish in that regard, gives the ball away with astounding frequency. At one point the commentator asked why Spain were so reserved in pushing men forward when they attacked, citing their possession as grounds to do so, then, out of the blue, Deulofeu rejects the easy options to pass and fucking runs, sloppily, at the Greece defence, giving the ball away and causing half of his team to scramble back into position.

LOLOLOLOLOLOL Spain Euro U19 Champions hahahahahah. Domination!

So proud of Greece though, far more interesting to watch than the national team from the Euro2012 tournament.

When does the first championship game occur bro?

I always felt that too. When he first joined Chelsea though his voice was fine. I feel like all he has to do is *attempt* to clear his throat, at least! Hahaha.

I think the first game is the week before the premier league starts

well it's football gossip season ;)

edit: tbh i'm just jealous. would love to hear Robben say something similar. ;)
You'll be stuck with Robben forever lol

But don't be jealous, Bayern will win the next Bayern - BVB match.
It's just the shitty super cup, though hahaha

Subotic would be the absolute dream signing for Arsenal. His presence would help us so much. Damn I wish we were in for him.
Nobody is in for Subotic this summer, anyway.

fuenf

You'll be stuck with Robben forever lol

But don't be jealous, Bayern will win the next Bayern - BVB match.
It's just the shitty super cup, though hahaha

yeah i guess i have to start rooting for Robben once again, i just hope that he's a changed man after last season. lol Bayern wont win that game!

Carbonox

So Liverpool rejected Newcastle's loan offer? Looks like it's a sale or no deal. They won't make back the bulk of their 35m fee anyway so Carroll looks like he's gonna stay at Liverpool for a while yet, I guess. Unless someone gives them a good loan offer (like covering the majority of his wages perhaps).

Feorax

So Liverpool rejected Newcastle's loan offer? Looks like it's a sale or no deal. They won't make back the bulk of their 35m fee anyway so Carroll looks like he's gonna stay at Liverpool for a while yet, I guess. Unless someone gives them a good loan offer (like covering the majority of his wages perhaps).

The reports suggest that Newcastle were willing to cover all of his wages, so it looks like loan simply isn't an option.

We'll give you £10 mil plus Walcott for him.

I'd bite your hand off for that deal.

FootballFan

Does Rodriguez play for Real then? Commentator was talking about one of the strikers making his debut for Real last season, for some reason I assigned that to Deulofeu.

He's talented, sure, but his decision making is woeful and his dribbling is sloppy. He's very un-Spanish in that regard, gives the ball away with astounding frequency. At one point the commentator asked why Spain were so reserved in pushing men forward when they attacked, citing their possession as grounds to do so, then, out of the blue, Deulofeu rejects the easy options to pass and fucking runs, sloppily, at the Greece defence, giving the ball away and causing half of his team to scramble back into position.

Just want to say Deulofeu is easily one of* the best youngster that Barcelona has and that is saying something.. Maybe he was bad today but he is definitely not awful. Hopefully you aren't judging him on just this 1 game.

PaulLFC

"you have destroyed your lands! you will not destroy mine!"

Seriously I havent seen it. A bunch of mods have been on the "please stop swearing so much" trip , which while annoying really doesnt seem that unreasonable for a site that relies on ad traffic.

There has been some idiocy around the claim that calling someone a JT is sexist (which is just flat wrong) but beyond that its been the usual Euros/World Cup twattery fall out which always happens. Its like E3, every year it claims a few :)

Besides if we did have a new mod who was a bad one and was bigoted against a particular group of gaffers he/she would self implode over time, they always do.
I think it has to do with different interpretations of the words. Here in the UK the JT word seems to be used more and more, it's losing some of its "oh my god you said ****" shock factor now, and it most certainly isn't used in a sexist way, at least not here. It's a general insult that can be directed towards any person, like plenty of others.

I can understand the JT rule, but I hope the "dislike" that's been mentioned doesn't go beyond that, as I genuinely think we have a great community here and everyone gets along 99% of the time. I'd like to hope that isn't changed for the worse in the future.

Clegg

United Pre-Season Squad:

Lindegaard, Amos, Johnstone, Ferdinand, Veseli, Vermijl, Wootton, Blackett; Valencia, Anderson, Carrick, Scholes, Powell, Kagawa, Bebe, Tunnicliffe, Lingard, Brady, Petrucci; Berbatov, Chicharito, Macheda.

Godtrucci is about to announce himself to the world.

Wes

venison crêpe
Some Villa transfer news:

A Feyenoord fan who told us about El Ahmadi moving has said tonight that Ron Vlaar was at Villa this weekend to discuss terms.

Also it's great to hear Petrov is in remission.

rodvik

Some Villa transfer news:

A Feyenoord fan who told us about El Ahmadi moving has said tonight that Ron Vlaar was at Villa this weekend to discuss terms.

Also it's great to hear Petrov is in remission.

Old! :) But yeah good news. The pic is doing the rounds, it certainly looks like him. Probably means we are shipping out Collins or Dunne.

From what I saw of him at the Euro's, Ron Vlaar isn't great. Was only a couple of matches though and that entire defence was horrible so could very well be a distortion.

Blackett going on tour too, that's cool. He might have to play a few games this season. United's pre-season tour is pretty crazy, it's a bit of a world tour isn't it, we're all over the place.

Lightning

Banned
The reports suggest that Newcastle were willing to cover all of his wages, so it looks like loan simply isn't an option.
Liverpool's stance is either going to change or they better find a way to fit Carroll into their system. Loaning him out and hoping he has success to bring his price back up is the best they can hope for. No one is going to offer much transfer fee for Carroll in his current state.

Dat depth, baby. No way we're not playing 3-5-2 next season.

Code:
                                          Buffon
                                     (Storari/Leali)

Barzagli         Bonucci         Chiellini
                              (Caceres)       (Lucio)

Lichtsteiner                                                          De Ceglie
(Caceres/Isla)                                              (Giaccherini/Pepe/Armero?)

Marchisio            Pirlo             Vidal
              (Asamoah/Padoin/Giaccherini)   (Pogba)    (Isla/Marrone/Pepe)

???(RVP?)                  Giovinco
                      (Matri/Quagliarella)            (Vucinic)

On Pepe

Pepe and Giaccherini are the biggest losers of this formation as they both typically play up high on the wings in a 4-3-3. They can both play in the middle as CM who are allowed to roam forward (see Giaccherini in Coppa Italia, Pepe against Napoli) but with the depth we have, it's unlikely that they'd be called upon to play in either positions unless we have big injuries to deal with, or our players need rest.

A 4-3-3 looks also interesting. I won't bother with the depth chart, but Giovinco out on the left with Vucinic behind him, our mystery striker in the centre with Matri/Quagliarella behind him, and Pepe/Giaccherini sharing the role on the right. Theoretically, we can play with someone like RVP out wide on the right and Matri/Quagliarella in the middle, but I just don't see Conte a) wasting the clinical finishing that someone like RVP brings by putting them in, basically, a supporting role in a 4-3-3, or b) chaining Lichtsteiner to defensive duties which would be required with a player like that on our right is offensive minded. Lichtsteiner and Caceres were too good going forward to let that happen. I really think Simone Pepe's role in this squad is going to matter a great deal on what formation Conte decides to stick with. That, and Isla playing outwide on the right is also a big threat to Pepe's starting jersey in a 4-3-3.

Borriello left his mark on Vucinic I see.

ExBK2.jpg

Haha amazing!

I like Borriello--his swagger, and what he offers to a team. But I rather we get Pazzini to play that role. I think a Krasic swap is actually a great deal for both. Think Krasic would be shit in Inter's 4-2-3-1, though.

jtb

Banned
Liverpool's stance is either going to change or they better find a way to fit Carroll into their system. Loaning him out and hoping he has success to bring his price back up is the best they can hope for. No one is going to offer much transfer fee for Carroll in his current state.

at this point, Liverpool might as well ship Carroll to a championship side (shame West Ham got promoted!) just to get him games and build up his confidence. Who gives a shit if he wants to go or not; by the end, he might have developed enough of his game to be used as more than just a one-dimensional battering ram. I'm sure Liverpool paid most of Cole's wages at Lille anyways, for example.

Carbonox

Heh, according to the Mirror, Newcastle ARE willing to meet the supposed 17m price tag on Carroll. Ugh I hope not. I know it's still a lovely profit we made off of him if it does go ahead but something about breaking our purchase record for a player who we sold to break the overall British player record is poetic. Wrong but poetic.

C_3_Media_1524939_immagine_obig.jpg

Michael Bradley shopping for Roma gear. Great deal for Roma at 3.5m. Tremendous old school DM. Maybe the new American ownership influenced the deal to increase the brand in North America, but I'd take him for Juve any day of the week.

Heh, according to the Mirror, Newcastle ARE willing to meet the supposed 17m price tag on Carroll. Ugh I hope not. I know it's still a lovely profit we made off of him if it does go ahead but something about breaking our purchase record for a player who we sold to break the overall British player record is poetic. Wrong but poetic.

We can get a better striker for that money. I doubt we'll go for it.

Arnie

Just want to say Deulofeu is easily one of* the best youngster that Barcelona has and that is saying something.. Maybe he was bad today but he is definitely not awful. Hopefully you aren't judging him on just this 1 game.
For clarification I'm judging him solely off one game, I'm more than prepared to be completely wrong in the future.

I've watched all but one of Spain's games in this tournament but just not really paid much attention to him. Was hard not to tonight because he was probably the worst player in a Spain shirt.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom