• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2011/2012 | OT12 | All the clowns were offside...

Status
Not open for further replies.

GQman2121

Banned
Hello gang! Just home after 6 days in hospital having broken my back. Fractured vertibrae. Didn't put a towel on the ground and slipped. Home now, wearing a corset-like cast for 6-12 weeks. Alright, not much pain.

I've luckily never broken a bone, but damn if the back doesn't sound like the worst case. Hope you can manage to stay comfortable while you recover. :)

Carbonox

Since Tiote came on, the entire play has changed for Newcastle. Looking much more convincing. Though it helps folks like Ryan Taylor also came on for more experience and stability.

Also, surprisingly, Obertan seems to work better up front. His pace is scaring the shit out of everyone. Gotta go fast seems to work in this position!

Edit: Fucker scuffed a one-on-one. Still, his pace got him in to that position. Bit more work and this could be something special. At least we don't have to witness his shitty decision making on the wings. Playing as a striker is straight run-and-place. That's all I'd want from him.

Yen

Did they give you the proper painkillers?

I had some for when I broke my leg. State of bliss.

Allergic to morphine/codeine despite its obvious qualities. Diazepam was my drug of choice. Stopped my spasms.

Shiiiit. Hope you're alright, Yenrot. No permanent damage, I hope? Home after 6 days, well, no, I suppose not. :) Wish you a fast recovery!

Never felt pain like it on tuesday/wednesday, and that's saying something as I have had ribs broken before. It should be a fairly minor fracture if I'm out this soon, I guess. The cast will stop further damage. Originally I thought I'd need surgery which would've meant strapping me to a board for 3 weeks, along with all the pain surgery brings.
Holy shit.

Just reminded me of Breaking Bad. :lol

Good luck for your recovery.
YENROT :/ Damn son, glad you're well. Heal up soon and take care....
What the fuck :0

lulz

Yenrot, I wish you a speedy and healthy recovery.

GQman2121 said:
I've luckily never broken a bone, but damn if the back doesn't sound like the worst case. Hope you can manage to stay comfortable while you recover. :)

Thanks for the well wishes all. A summer of lying on the sofa watching movies and tv awaits. Still going to England next week though! Risky!

Clegg

I was ran over by a van when I was 9.

Broke my leg and ankle from the impact and was unconscious for a few hours.

Wasn't allowed my own morphine drip. Docs had to administer it themselves.

Carbonox

And that's that. FT: Newcastle 1-0 Monaco

We beat a far superior team to Chemnitzer. Football, how does it work?

Our youngsters did a decent job.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
logoligaaa_1342465405.jpg
logoascenso_1342465376.png
co_1342465213.jpg

When will the 2.0 fad be over?
I liked the anthem though...

Fady K

Mancini's Dad, Aldo.

He was in hospital last year and it looked really bad. But he got better and he came to a few of the important games, United & QPR to name two.

Now he's pretty much always watching training or traveling with the squad.

964056761-14052012214816.jpg

So nice to see Mancini and his pops together in a day such as that. Mancini looks so loveable when he's not angry.

random barca chant!:

BARCA BARCA BAAAAAAAARCAAAAAAAAAAAA

You know what we need more of this stuff! I only hear Bayern fans with this stuff.

CHELSEAAAAAAAAAAALLLLLLLLLLLOOOOOOOOOOOOONAAAAAAAAAAAAA

BAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRSSSSSSSSEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

It's bad that I now have to double check if it says Sporks every time someone posts SSN as a source. Poor AVB... Actually nah.

cyw1c.jpg

Lol, what a photo.

The same thing happens to me btw, I keep having to check if its Sporks lol! One of our fellow posters once got mixed up and did the opposite - posted a Sporks article that he thought was Sports :p

I won't believe it still. Tomorrow we'll hear more news about how Oscar did not even receive a bid in the first place :p

UEFA Best Player in Europe Award contenders

The 32-player long list is as follows (in alphabetical order):
Sergio Agüero (ARG) – Manchester City FC
Xabi Alonso (ESP) – Real Madrid CF
Mario Balotelli (ITA) – Manchester City FC
Jakub Błaszczykowski (POL) – Borussia Dortmund
Gianluigi Buffon (ITA) – Juventus
Iker Casillas (ESP) – Real Madrid CF
Petr Čech (CZE) – Chelsea FC
Fábio Coentrão (POR) – Real Madrid CF
Leslie Davies (WAL) – Bangor City FC
Didier Drogba (CIV) – Chelsea FC (now at Shanghai Shenhua FC)
Cesc Fàbregas (ESP) – FC Barcelona
Falcao (COL) – Club Atlético de Madrid
Joe Hart (ENG) – Manchester City FC
Zlatan Ibrahimović (SWE) – AC Milan
Andrés Iniesta (ESP) – FC Barcelona
Shinji Kagawa (JPN) – Borussia Dortmund (now at Manchester United FC)
Vincent Kompany (BEL) – Manchester City FC
Frank Lampard (ENG) – Chelsea FC
Lionel Messi (ARG) – FC Barcelona
Luka Modrić (CRO) – Tottenham Hotspur FC
Mesut Özil (GER) – Real Madrid CF
Pepe (POR) – Real Madrid CF
Andrea Pirlo (ITA) – Juventus
Sergio Ramos (ESP) – Real Madrid CF
Raúl González (ESP) – FC Schalke 04 (now at al-Sadd Sports Club)
Cristiano Ronaldo (POR) – Real Madrid CF
Wayne Rooney (ENG) – Manchester United FC
David Silva (ESP) – Manchester City FC
Fernando Torres (ESP) – Chelsea FC
Yaya Touré (CIV) – Manchester City FC
Robin van Persie (NED) – Arsenal FC
Xavi Hernández (ESP) – FC Barcelona

WHAT THE FUCK IS THIS SHIT

Yen

We bought a promising Ghanaian striker from Genoa, with the usual - you know it! - co-ownership formula. Ladies and gents, I give you Richmond Yiadom Boakye, 19 years old. Apparently he's had good season with Sassuolo in Serie B and they almost made it to Serie A.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?&v=Pw9Spx7vBN8

UEFA at least pretend you watch Serie A :p edit: How good is Boakye really? Surely Ciro Immobile (OUR player) was better last season?

He reminds me of Matri. Decent with the ball at his feet, quick on the turn, confident enough to take an extra touch to put himself in a better position. Loan him out to another Serie B team and see if he repeats his form.

And, yeah, Immobile is wonderful but it'll take a year or two for him to turn into the type of striker we need. We'll have to give him the opportunity to play in Serie A, however. Either us (less likely) or with a minnow, but he needs to play regularly in a top league. Hope Verratti learns that, too, as he's going to either rot on the bench or he needs to be loaned out.

Jensen

A lot of the players nominated for these awards are always players who had a few good games at international tournaments.

The award itself is silly, would prefer just having a UEFA best XI.

A lot of the players nominated for these awards are always players who had a few good games at international tournaments.

The award itself is silly, would prefer just having a UEFA best XI.

A few good matches can't be enough to be on that list.

Coentrao over Busquets or Alba?

:lol

Jensen

A few good matches can't be enough to be on that list.

Coentrao over Busquets or Alba?

:lol
I guess playing for a team that gets more of the spotlight probably helps as well.

I agree about Busquets it's really strange how he gets overlooked by pundits, the media and average fan. Very similar to how Makelele was constantly overlooked.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
Torres, fine. Can't say much about Lampard, either.

But Balotelli won the English league, got into the Euro final and played amazingly, and Coentrao had an amazing Euro and played admirably for Real Madrid.

Coeantrao wasn't even a regular for Real in the league, he didn't even play a specific position. He was mediocre domestically and a good EUROs doesn't make up for that. Same for Balotelli. He stamped on a player's head and was banned, was sent off multiple times and while he scored a few goals it was nothing more than you would expect from a £20m striker. To say he's worthy of consideration for the 'Best Player in Europe' award is a joke.

Meier

Just was reading the most recent of Noel's tour diary entries.. got a kick out of this. Was posted on July 10th:

So . . . I remember the festival being quite a big one. Massive crowd. Big guns headlining. Think it was them Red Hot Chilli Peppers on my night (yes it was!). The show itself was OK. Not bad. It certainly broke the run of amazing shows that's for sure. The best thing about it was I was introduced onstage by Vincent Kompany, Manchester City's captain. He's from Brussels see? And me and him were going to do the launch of the new Manchester City kits for next season. Both of these occurrences were a true honour. Vinnie's a top boy. Might actually be the coolest lad on the planet. We hung out after the show and watched the Euro Championship final. Happy days!!

The next day I had to be up early to do the football kit thing. Hadn't actually gone to bed 'till 4am so I wasn't feeling (or looking!) the best. Vinnie on the other hand had managed an early night and turned up looking like the super-cool, well oiled athlete he is. I on the other hand stunk of cig's and alcohol looking every bit like the 45yr old father of 3 that I am. Not good. Not good at all. In all my time in this game that might have been the single most difficult thing I've ever had to do.

At one point I think I was sweating pure alcohol. Imagine doing that while one of your heroes looks down on you and asks if you're alright, while a photographer snaps away asking you if "you could just get a bit closer?" Did it though and the kit looks the bollocks.

This part made me laugh too:
So . . . after that we flew here to the south of France. Fucking plane was full of young people (off on their holidays one would imagine). Giggling girls and boys with sideways haircuts and girls jeans on . . . that's what it looked like to me anyway.

Rad-

Wow at Coentrao at that list. He was shit for Madrid, only had few decent games there. Great for Portugal though so I guess that's the reason?

Speaking of that... How does he look so good for Portugal and so mediocre for Madrid? Same for Khedira I guess. Weird. It's usually the other way around (like Messi and Ronaldo being better in their club teams versus their national teams).

dc89

6 City Players.
1 United Player.

6-1. Now that's familiar...
Kagawa doesn't count.