• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2011/2012 | OT12 | All the clowns were offside...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arnie

This latest terrorism storm is going to be very bad for the sport I feel.

Just seen this:

@Ibby_Farah: I remember jonjo shelvey callled me and @N_Jarvis terroist in a youth game aganist charlton.#whataidiot

Now I really don't want to believe that.

Fucking sigh.

Wilbur

Banned
[/B]

Go on....

Everyone else was all suited and booted for a charity event, he turns up in a polo with paint on and sits on his phone.

I went up and said 'Did you pick the name Minty?'.

He said no.

Walked away.

Saw him eating a sausage roll off the buffet plate later on without using his hands.

Maybe it was a compliment! As in, you terrorised me out there!

Got to say that if that is true then why didn't they make a complaint? Not saying that proves it's made up or they don't have the right to mention it now but if that kinda thing is happening you should be making it known.

Salvadora

Bit of irony in the #whataidiot hashtag.

O5Q49.jpg

LegoArmo

Got to say that if that is true then why didn't they make a complaint? Not saying that proves it's made up or they don't have the right to mention it now but if that kinda thing is happening you should be making it known.

I've read a lot of reports saying it happens all the time in football, and no one ever speaks out. Well, very rarely.

I hope it's getting better in recent years, though.

Yen

Exactly. Serves no purpose but to publicly chastise Shelvey, guilty or not. And because it was never reported, it can never be followed up, and racism accusations will always be put towards Jonjo.

BTW, last time I tweeted about Jonjo, 30 seconds later I broke my back. Goodbye chaps.

Zabojnik

That's unfortunately true. And Ciro was with Conte in Siena for half a season right?

Yep. Didn't play much, though. 4 matches, 1 goal. After that he went on loan to Grosseto, where he didn't exactly impress either. 16 appearances, 1 goal. He exploaded at Pescara (27 goals in 38 matches). Before all that he had a fantastic season with our primavera, 26 goals. Before even that he was a beast at Sorrento, 30 goals.
Wikipedia to the rescue.

I think he has the markings of a true old-school prima punta. I'm looking forward to following him at Genoa this season. If we lose Destro to Roma, as seems likely, he could be the one to go for next year. We already own half of him anyway. :)

Ordered a Real Madrid jersey from Soccer Triads, wanna see what all the fuzz is about. Does anyone know if those guys slap on Juve's three stars?

They probably will, yeah. You should wait another month or so, though.

Arnie

Of course it happens, these are young, unintelligent kids playing competitive football. It's terrible, and should be stamped out, but whoever this kid is who's tweeting about it now should've gone straight over to the referee and complained at the time.

Serves no purpose tweeting (or RTweeting) it now. Won't, and in all probability can't, be investigated so all it does is create rumours about Shelvey's personality when he's about to break into the Liverpool first team.

Imagine how much abuse Shelvey must have had so far in his career though, especially at youth level. "Keep ya hair on", etc... he's such an easy target.

Salvadora

Carroll improved massively by the end of the season so I'd like to see how he does next season with Liverpool. Kind of a shame he doesn't gel with Rodger's system.

Arnie

Imagine how much abuse Shelvey must have had so far in his career though, especially at youth level. "Keep ya hair on", etc... he's such an easy target.

From zero to hero.

SUPER JONJO

fuck tha haters

Rory Smith can fuck off too, tweeting to specifically announce that Athletico have confirmed that they haven't accepted a bid from LFC for Muniain.

3Sixty

Don't know why everyone keeps saying Carroll doesn't fit Rodgers system, its not like Danny Graham is a cultured center forward.

Arnie

Don't know why everyone keeps saying Carroll doesn't fit Rodgers system, its not like Danny Graham is a cultured center forward.
Carroll didn't score a single goal at Anfield in the league last season. Missed a handful of sitters.

Hard to think of a system he does fit into.

Apart from a Sam Allerdyce 'project'.

Speaking of Shelvey, Rodgers' ideas should suit him down to the ground. Think he could be a good player, got some tekkers.
He's already looking class. Bossed the Championship in his short stint at Blackpool, clearly above that level already. Oozes technique and ability. One of the only youth products I'm 100% sure has what it takes to be a consistent first team player for us going forward.

3Sixty

Carroll didn't score a single goal at Anfield in the league last season. Missed a handful of sitters.

Hard to think of a system he does fit into.

Apart from a Sam Allerdyce 'project'.

I'm trying not to imagine a team with Carlton Cole and Andy Carroll upfront.

Arnie

Liverpool in general were abysmal at Anfield last season, were they not?
Abysmal's an overstatement and a smokescreen for the plethora of simple chances Carroll squandered in front of goal. It's easy to say Liverpool were shit and thus Carroll didn't score, but it wouldn't be true. Everyone rags on Downing for his 'stats', but our profligacy in front of goal was more central to that than anything Downing did himself(which wasn't a lot).
Rumours on twitter stating we're trying to lure Lewis Holtby from Schalke as a Walcott replacement. Anyone know of him and if he's any good?
We're tracking him as well. Confirmed by Duncan Jenkins and Tony Barrett from The Times, the most credible LFC source there is. If you go for him we'll be forced to play our hand too.

kharma45

Forbes still ranking United as the most valuable sports team in the world

http://www.forbes.com/sites/kurtbad...ops-the-worlds-50-most-valuable-sports-teams/

#1 Manchester United ($2.23 billion)

#2 Real Madrid ($1.88 billion)

#3 New York Yankees ($1.85 billion)

#3 Dallas Cowboys ($1.85 billion)

#5 Washington Redskins ($1.56 billion)

#6 Los Angeles Dodgers ($1.4 billion)

#6 New England Patriots ($1.4 billion)

#8 Barcelona ($1.31 billion)

#9 New York Giants ($1.3 billion)

#10 Arsenal ($1.29 billion)

I'm trying not to imagine a team with Carlton Cole and Andy Carroll upfront.

How about Carroll & Vaz Te? Rumour making the rounds now is that Stoke offered £11m for Cole and we'll sell him if we bring in Carroll :lol - many 'ITK' sources claim Carroll will come to us for £15m, but I just can't see the club spending that big. The Daves have continually stressed that because of our debt we have a structured cap on how much we can spend until the debt is paid and that it would be foolish, and potentially dangerous to the future of the club to break that cap.

We're tracking him as well. Confirmed by Duncan Jenkins and Tony Barrett from The Times, the most credible LFC source there is. If you go for him we'll be forced to play our hand too.
If you take Walcott from us I would hope you drop the interest.

What do you think about selling Walcott for 15m?

For £15million I would be happy to lose him, as long as we replaced in kind. He's homegrown so he's overpriced and for £15million I think we could get a better player than him.

Arnie

If you take Walcott from us I would hope you drop the interest.
I know we've enquired but I'd be very surprised if we signed him. Somebody high up inside the club was quoted as saying 'no more of that English shit'. Walcott falls directly in that category.

Think Rodgers would rather have Holtby, and our interest in him has been stronger than it has in Walcott.

Arnie

Wise man.You're looking good for this season.

I'll wait until we've played a competitive fixture. All signs point to that conclusion but there's no actual, physical, real world evidence to suggest we're going to start improving to where we'd like to be. I know my muppet senses went into over drive this last month, but it's time for me to get a bit more cynical, and a bit more realistic, in how I see us progressing next season.

I want us to challenge for that fourth spot, not necessarily get it, but challenge. I'd be satisfied with that.

Salvadora

Real Madrid president confident of signing Tottenham's Luka Modric
Real Madrid believe they are the only club that Luka Modric wants to join this summer, and the president, Florentino Pérez, has told friends he is supremely confident of closing the deal.

Modric, who is determined to leave Tottenham Hotspur, has also attracted the interest of Paris St-Germain, who have made contact with his representatives, as well as Chelsea and Manchester United.

The midfielder failed to force a move to Chelsea last summer, when Daniel Levy rejected a £40m bid, and the Tottenham chairman has resolved not to sell to a Premier League rival.

PSG would appear outsiders in the fight for Modric's signature as he has his heart set on Madrid. Pérez is attempting to finalise the structure of the fee, with the offer to Tottenham of performance-related add-ons, and he hopes that the total will come in below £40m, which was the benchmark that Levy effectively set last summer.

Levy, though, will sell only on his terms and, as history has shown, he is relaxed about going to the final moments of the transfer window to drive the hardest bargains, which could make for another tense summer for Modric.

Tottenham's new manager, André Villas-Boas, has identified Porto's João Moutinho as his priority midfield target and reports in Portugal have said that the club have turned down an offer of €20m. Porto would want €30m.
http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2012/jul/16/real-madrid-president-tottenham-luka-modric

3Sixty

How about Carroll & Vaz Te? Rumour making the rounds now is that Stoke offered £11m for Cole and we'll sell him if we bring in Carroll :lol - many 'ITK' sources claim Carroll will come to us for £15m, but I just can't see the club spending that big. The Daves have continually stressed that because of our debt we have a structured cap on how much we can spend until the debt is paid and that it would be foolish, and potentially dangerous to the future of the club to break that cap.

Can't really see Stoke signing another big lump with Jones, Crouch, Sidibe and Jerome still on their books. Hope Vaz Te gets a good run this season, was great last year. Can't see Carroll really going there but he definitely fits their style, my neck still hurts from watching them down here last season.

I'll wait until we've played a competitive fixture. All signs point to that conclusion but there's no actual, physical, real world evidence to suggest we're going to start improving to where we'd like to be. I know my muppet senses went into over drive this last month, but it's time for me to get a bit more cynical, and a bit more realistic, in how I see us progressing next season.

I want us to challenge for that fourth spot, not necessarily get it, but challenge. I'd be satisfied with that.

One things for sure,that fourth spot is going to be very hard to get for a number of clubs and will make for an extremely competitive season between a few of us.But I can say this, so far I am jealous of you're transfer intent/dealings.

3Sixty said:
Can't really see Stoke signing another big lump with Jones, Crouch, Sidibe and Jerome still on their books.

Even if they did want him, I can't see anyone paying anywhere near 11m for Carlton. He's such a frustrating player.

Can't see Carroll really going there but he definitely fits their style, my neck still hurts from watching them down here last season.

Lol, yeah, some of our fans seem to have deluded themselves into thinking that just because we played some attractive football at the arse-end of last season, we'll do likewise in the Premiership. Anyone coming to the Boleyn next season is likely in for some ugly, ugly football.

Arnie

One things for sure,that fourth spot is going to be very hard to get for a number of clubs and will make for an extremely competitive season between a few of us.But I can say this, so far I am jealous of you're transfer intent/dealings.

Borini is one sexy bastard. I'm actually excited about the idea of buying with a style in mind. I know some are down about us trying so fervently to ship Carroll out, but to me it's a great indication of clarity when it comes to transfer dealings. Better get him out now and flirt with disharmony during pre-season than risk the possibility of Carroll throwing a wobbler in October when he's sitting on the bench.

OMGWTFBBQ HOLY SHIIIIIIIIIT
I'm up to Episode 4, season 4. Can't wait, yo. (was going to say 'bitch' but didn't want to give any particular mod the ammunition.)

3Sixty

Lol, yeah, some of our fans seem to have deluded themselves into thinking that just because we played some attractive football at the arse-end of last season, we'll do likewise in the Premiership. Anyone coming to the Boleyn next season is likely in for some ugly, ugly football.

Yep, certainly not one for the purists. Its funny because last year i remember 2 distinct scenarios, firstly vs us at St. Marys, 100% garbage hoof ball, it was completely ineffective and WHU looked completely devoid of any ideas. Then the 2nd half against Birmingham, long ball looked completely unplayable, Cole won every ball in the air and a WHU player was first to every knockdown. Be interesting to see which way it goes this year.

Yen

I'm positive because we couldn't possibly get any worse! Seriously though, Brendan Rodgers seems like a very wise guy with good ideas and a very good philosophy. Hopefully it works out. I think it will.

Wilbur

Banned
West Ham will stay up, Sam's got enough about him to manage that.

I'm loathe to make predictions yet without the transfer window being over, but I'll probably chip in mid August before the start of the season when there's a full 20 days left.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom