• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2011/2012 | OT12 | All the clowns were offside...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Verano

Reads Ace as Lace. May God have mercy on their soul
Where the fuck is Yurt, anyway? Italy wins and he vanishes.
most likely rewatching dat italy vs germany wc final match
iVupsUJ9kQSEy.gif

GorillaJu

Just finished watching the Masters vs Stars game. Loved seeing Suarez and Cavani link up.

This was a great goal. Suarez loves to meg

ibiaVqCtEicWYr.gif

elsk

Banned
Btw, I will say this again: you guys should watch the Universidad de Chile vs. Boca Juniors match (2nd leg)... beautiful match. Nothing like the boring Euro.

Lightning

Banned
fuck yeah.

if we land M'Vila too, there's no reason why we can't mount a title challenge next season. Sure, we won't win the thing because we'll still have an abundance of shit defenders and injury prone midfielders, but it'll be nice to see a pulse.
The possibility of landing M'Vila is high.

Do you think RVP will stay? I mean Wenger is showing some change in tactics this transfer window to stregthen our squad.

Messi

Just watched the end of Misfits Series 3. Good season that. I think the show is fucked from here on out though, spoilers for all seasons including season 4 casting.
The Nazi episode was a huge misstep, fucking awful episode.

Simon and Alisha leaving the show and Kelly presumably being fired because she got jailed for racially abusing a taxi driver (they said she is gone, but not for that reason, but come on lol). Leaving Curtis (the shit misfit) and rudy. They are casting 3 new people but fuck that shit.

Rudy was a great addition and kind of soothed the wounds from Nathan leaving. I really wish Nathan didnt leave. Seeing the flashback to him in the first season made me :(. He was awesome. But with all the others leaving it would be pointless in trying to get him back also.

The guy who plays Nathan is great in the Irish drama Love/Hate.

So yeah, Misfits.

He has been injured since the match against Chelsea... he has been playing injured, he says he will rest after the EURO so I think he cares more about Germany NT than Bayern...

That's not true. Schweini said that's still the injury from back in February. Bayern players and the whole club just rush themselves back way too fast, also see Robben. We could have a fit Schweinisteiger by now but no... He can play those two matches now, too.

elsk

Banned
That's not true. Schweini said that's still the injury from back in February. Bayern players and the whole club just rush themselves back way too fast, also see Robben. We could have a fit Schweinisteiger by now but no... He can play those two matches now, too.

Well, he shouldn't. Kroos can play there.

edit, also:

Heynckes says Schweinsteiger suffered an injury to his calf 5 minutes into the CL final but still carried on playing for 115 mins, for him he is a special and exceptional player because of this as any other player would have been substituted.

tz

But yeah, he could also still be injured since Feb.

jtb

Banned
The possibility of landing M'Vila is high.

Do you think RVP will stay? I mean Wenger is showing some change in tactics this transfer window to stregthen our squad.

I think all the signs point to RVP wanting out, but I'm skeptical if anyone's going to pay. No idea why Barcelona would want him - they seem seem to abhor the idea of buying anything other than midfielders, and then converting them into false nines, false defenders, whatever. Same with Real - they already have Benzema and Higuain. RVP would be overkill. Juve would be the best option for both parties, I think, but their interest seems to have cooled considerably, leaving City as our best bet for getting a respectable fee (30m plz), and, if he goes for that - I say sell him immediately. If they want him, they'll probably pay up anyways, since they love overpaying for our players (besides Clichy. 7m was a fucking bargain, even if he is a shit defender).

Quality full-backs (back-ups or otherwise) are a must. It is no coincidence that our run of form around the North London derby occurred with the return of Gibbs and Sagna from injury. we need that width - without it, our squad is just a bunch of passers without any kind of incision. a back-up right back and another winger (a natural winger, none of this retrofitted Arshavin/Rosicky/Benayoun/Nasri/Walcottetc. garbage) - and we have a squad that has attacking versatility, a plan B, and, most importantly, depth. If RVP has to be sold in order to get there, so be it.

If he isn't sold and those purchases are made - even better. 4-4-2/4-2-3-1 are musts though. Giroud and Podolski cannot be allowed to languish on the bench just so we can build a squad around a player who is notorious for being made of glass.

Well, he shouldn't. Kroos can play there.

edit, also:

But yeah, he could also still be injured since Feb.
It's funny you say that. I recall Schweini playing although Kroos can play there for Bayern, too.

It's not translated in the right way, anyway. Schweini himself said it's the injury from February which hasn't healed 100% but it's not like he can't play or his ankle is gonna break any moment.

Hutch

Neo Member
Hey lads I'm a fairly long term lurker here who just got registered - Liverpool fan based in South Africa at the moment but originally a Sydney man!
Just wish Pool could get some confirmed signings already cos I'm itching for the new season to begin as it is!

I was also supporting England at the Euros but I'm not so disappointed or rather surprised about the exit, we were playing some truly dreadful football at times. So for now I'm supporting Spain and hoping that Busi or Ramos give Ronaldo a slap off camera, just because!

Lightning

Banned
I think all the signs point to RVP wanting out, but I'm skeptical if anyone's going to pay. No idea why Barcelona would want him - they seem seem to abhor the idea of buying anything other than midfielders, and then converting them into false nines, false defenders, whatever. Same with Real - they already have Benzema and Higuain. RVP would be overkill. Juve would be the best option for both parties, I think, but their interest seems to have cooled considerably, leaving City as our best bet for getting a respectable fee (30m plz), and, if he goes for that - I say sell him immediately. If they want him, they'll probably pay up anyways, since they love overpaying for our players (besides Clichy. 7m was a fucking bargain, even if he is a shit defender).

Quality full-backs (back-ups or otherwise) are a must. It is no coincidence that our run of form around the North London derby occurred with the return of Gibbs and Sagna from injury. we need that width - without it, our squad is just a bunch of passers without any kind of incision. a back-up right back and another winger (a natural winger, none of this retrofitted Arshavin/Rosicky/Benayoun/Nasri/Walcottetc. garbage) - and we have a squad that has attacking versatility, a plan B, and, most importantly, depth. If RVP has to be sold in order to get there, so be it.

If he isn't sold and those purchases are made - even better. 4-4-2/4-2-3-1 are musts though. Giroud and Podolski cannot be allowed to languish on the bench just so we can build a squad around a player who is notorious for being made of glass.
Yeah, that is the vibe I get as well from RVP. It doesn't matter who we bring in he wants out regardless and if he wants out he should be sold. We should only have players who want to be here playing for us. Wenger has started really well in this transfer window and the M'Vila reports are getting louder as well so there is a good chance we can land him too. If RVP leaves though, which I am not totally against, we need a world class striker to replace him. Giroud and Podolski alone would not be enough, not without a Fabregas creating chances for them to score. They can finish alright but they are hardly the most innovative players and our squad of midfielders aren't exactly great creative players either.

If RVP leaves and I fully expect him too then we will be lacking that one player who can lift us when the cards are down. RVP done it last season but before that Fabregas was magical for doing it. We will need someone brought in because jack Wilshere is not ready and not fully fit and I don't believe capable of such a burden yet.

dc89

Reading Bluemoon for glimpses of transfer activity.

According to the one person on there who genuinely knows what he is talking about Sahin is a possibility but is dependent on one or two moves Modric or Tevez to Real.

jtb

Banned
Yeah, that is the vibe I get as well from RVP. It doesn't matter who we bring in he wants out regardless and if he wants out he should be sold. We should only have players who want to be here playing for us. Wenger has started really well in this transfer window and the M'Vila reports are getting louder as well so there is a good chance we can land him too. If RVP leaves though, which I am not totally against, we need a world class striker to replace him. Giroud and Podolski alone would not be enough, not without a Fabregas creating chances for them to score. They can finish alright but they are hardly the most innovative players and our squad of midfielders aren't exactly great creative players either.

If RVP leaves and I fully expect him too then we will be lacking that one player who can lift us when the cards are down. RVP done it last season but before that Fabregas was magical for doing it. We will need someone brought in because jack Wilshere is not ready and not fully fit and I don't believe capable of such a burden yet.

I think there's a fine line between having a player that can lift us and then... using that player as a crutch so that there's no squad investment. (since that's so blatantly what happened with Henry and then Cesc). then we rely on them and they're overplayed and they get injured and our inevitable feb/march collapse ensues, etc. etc. I agree that we really need a quality midfielder to replace Cesc/Nasri... but those are two of the best midfielders in the world. Not exactly sure if there are any quality number 10-type players out on the market for a reasonable fee (both Podolski and Giroud have been pleasantly low fees) - missed out on both Mata and Hazard already... It'll be interesting to see if a more balanced midfield of Wilshere-Song-M'Vila can carry this team, even without a world-class creator.

Sahin would be nice, but he's another pivot-type player, and after years of not having enough tacklers, we're on the verge of having too many. not that I'd be complaining if we landed him on the cheap, he's been class whenever I've seen him for both Dortmund and the few times he's played for Real. RVP for cash + Sahin is a deal I could easily live with.

rodvik

Hey lads I'm a fairly long term lurker here who just got registered - Liverpool fan based in South Africa at the moment but originally a Sydney man!
Just wish Pool could get some confirmed signings already cos I'm itching for the new season to begin as it is!

I was also supporting England at the Euros but I'm not so disappointed or rather surprised about the exit, we were playing some truly dreadful football at times. So for now I'm supporting Spain and hoping that Busi or Ramos give Ronaldo a slap off camera, just because!

Welcome!

dc89

Welcome to FootballGAF!

Ashes

Banned

Get out of the Madhouse while you still can. Or come your next birthday, you'll get served with cunt-cake.

It'll be interesting to see if a more balanced midfield of Wilshere-Song-M'Vila can carry this team, even without a world-class creator.

Whenever they've had two quality defensive midfielders in the team, the team has flourished. Vieira-Petit, Vieira-Gilberto, even in 07-08 when Flamini was playing out of his skin alongside Gilberto they led the league for 3/4 of the season.

Kem0sabe

I have this great investment opportunity for you, if your interested in fish farming.

Linius

So, I just read an article about the Vertonghen / Spurs transfer. Maybe Vertonghen stays in Amsterdam for another year, Ajax is playing games. According to his contract Vertonghen has the right to get 15 percent of the transfer fee to make up for the lower salary he recieved during his Ajax period. Despite the fact that he's the captain and plays the biggest part in both championships he wasn't the one who earned the most money. Ajax knew about this before they started negotiating but now the deal is getting close they're appearently trying to get rid of that 15 percent. As a reaction Vertonghen said he 's happy to play for Ajax another year but that also means he's going to The Spurs next season transfer free. Which means Ajax basically throws away 12 million euros. I'm eager to know the outcomes of all this.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
There is zero chance Vertonghen leaves for nothing in a year. Ajax want that transfer fee, they are just being stubborn and trying to get Spurs to cover that payment to the player. They know that if push comes to shove, Spurs will pay.

Carbonox

Demba Ba is getting annoyed at the speculation suggesting he's leaving, as it's all seemingly stemming from people claiming to be his agent so that they can try and bag the big fee they'd get for helping him transfer. Apparently he wants to stay at Newcastle for at least another season, according to him and his brother.

The move for Luuk De Jong is completely separate to the Ba situation too, so if we get De Jong and Ba keeps to his word, I'd be chuffed to have them two and Cisse.

Considering I'm sure Newcastle wouldn't want to sell Ba for such a small fee, and Ba clearly wants to stay at the club, it would be interesting if a sale still goes ahead. I guess Ba could change his mind if offered a great contract from a club willing to match the clause.

Hixx

LOL. In his mind he would..... So never then? I thought so.... The guy can barely score for freakin Sunderland....

I don't even know what this means. It's harder to score for Sunderland as he didn't have the likes of Fabregas et al setting him up like he did at Arsenal.

Anyway after seeing our new kits I'm not happy. The keeper shirt would look ok if it didn't seem to have a black sweater underneath it?

And yep, our kit is £50, £55 long sleeved. Absolutely ludicrous. £6 for the Premier League badges put on, £12 for a name and number. So £68 for those so inclined. Mental.

edit: and they don't sell the retro shirts anymore. FUCK.

Hutch

Neo Member

Thanks man!

Welcome to FootballGAF!

Cheers, hopefully I'll be able to add to the madness!

Good. I would hate for some of this thread's curiosities to come as a surprise.

I've become well acquainted with these so called "curiosities" you speak of...

I have this great investment opportunity for you, if your interested in fish farming.

Well you've caught my attention hook line and sinker...
Do explain.

GorillaJu

Danny Murphy to Blackburn is a good bit of business by them. Strange to even be considering the thought. Think he's a bit too good for the Championship, but nothing to stop him from enjoying it there too.

Linius

20hUz.jpg

First Ajax training today, Anita arriving with a big smile. Just don't go to Newcastle yet please...

In other news, tonight I'm going to see Jack White. So excited :D

GorillaJu

More and more rumblings that Gylfi Sigurdsson is going to Spurs. Really hope this isn't true. Not sure why he would go to a manager-less team over the team with Brendan Rodgers, when both are in the same European competition. But if he does, not much we can do about it. Will be severely disheartened though - he is the one player I really want to happen this summer.

Here's why Pirlo was god among men, etc., yesterday:

Pirlo was always likely to be Italy's main threat, and Roy Hodgson instructed his two strikers to drop deep so England had extra bodies in midfield, where Italy used four central players. When England's shape was compact, both Wayne Rooney and Danny Welbeck were goalside of Pirlo, but it was Rooney who had the main responsibility for stopping him. Rooney's performance was reminiscent of his display in the 2011 Champions League final, when he spent the first few minutes picking up Barcelona's deepest midfielder, Sergio Busquets, before switching off and neglecting his defensive duties. That day, Sir Alex Ferguson spent much of the first half shouting at Rooney to pick up his man – here, it was Joe Hart who intervened from 50 metres away towards the end of the first half, when Pirlo's dominance had become clear.
http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/blog/2012/jun/25/euro-2012-italy-andrea-pirlo-england
I've got nothing against employing strikers defensively, but marking great midfielders through strikers - how the fuck is that supposed to work?
Good midfielders tend to play good passes when they're left alone, some play even great passes..
It's a bit similar to Schweinsteiger's good performance vs. NL.

Hixx

Joey Barton stripped of QPR captaincy and seemingly given a final warning, if something similar happens in the future his contract will be terminated.

PaulLFC

Is anyone watching Wimbledon today?

Welcome :)

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
More and more rumblings that Gylfi Sigurdsson is going to Spurs. Really hope this isn't true. Not sure why he would go to a manager-less team over the team with Brendan Rodgers, when both are in the same European competition. B

Because Spurs have finished above Liverpool (Liverpool haven't even scored a goal against Spurs in the last 3 meetings) for three seasons in a row, have just opened a state of the art new training complex, have a more exciting team and are based in London. All the stories state that we have even offered him a better financial package. The Rodgers factor would be the main selling point for Liverpool but I don't see why it would outweigh the others. Liverpool finished almost 20 points behind Spurs last season. It's probably all bollocks and I still think he'll join Liverpool, but if we were interested I think it would be a tricky decision. Would you rather player with Bale, Parker, Van Der Vaart and Walker? Or Downing, Adam, Suarez and Enrique?

It's amazing to me that Barton's contract wasn't terminated. I guess they'd rather try and move him on in January than have to pay up.

dc89

QPR have finished their investigation into Barton.

Stripped of the captaincy.
Will not join the squad for the tour of Asia.
Fined 6 weeks wages.
If he breaches the disciplinary policy again they reserve the right to terminate his contract.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom