• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2011/2012 | OT12 | All the clowns were offside...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
It sounds like Spurs are just waiting for July the 1st to announce it all due to stuff in his Chelsea contract preventing him taking a job before then. If AVB is willing to work on his man-management and be less of a dick then he could be good, he certainly has talent. If he does get the job it will be interesting to see how he does without Chelsea's many douchebags weighing him down at every turn.

GorillaJu

I have had literally more than half of my on-topic, non-inflammatory posts on RAWK deleted. I know I'm not on some kind of "invisible to others" mode because I can see other people quoting me to respond, but my original posts are nowhere to be found.

What the fuck is with the peanut-brained mods over there? It's not a fucking news aggregate, it's a forum. Can there not be one thread that is allowed to stray off of posting articles and responding directly to them? God damn...

Btw, didn't see dc post it: MCFC's new kit will go on sale July 6th. Looking forward to the third kit..heard a rumor that it's black and white? Some sort of throwback to the original kit from the club's first name (St. Mark's) I believe.
dc82 gets over excited about doesn't bother reading the thread so I'm sure he'll post about it as soon as he can.

Arnie

Modric is 27 this September and not worth 40 mil, even if spurs fans want him to be. He is not of the Alonso, xavi, schweinsteiger mould. 25 million is his ceiling.

I'd agree that he's not of the calibre of player you've listed, but he's still got 5 years of service ahead of him, and he's a fantastic player. I'd say he's worth £30 million, easily. At the end of the day, he's worth whatever value he is to the Spurs squad, not some magical qualifier that places him on a universal list of footballers.

Spurs don't have to sell, he's reaching the prime of his career, and he's central to the way they play. Spurs have every right to demand £40 million, because anyone who wants him is going to take all that away from them. Even with such huge funds, it's not an easy task for Spurs to replace him in the squad.

It sounds like Spurs are just waiting for July the 1st to announce it all due to stuff in his Chelsea contract preventing him taking a job before then. If AVB is willing to work on his man-management and be less of a dick then he could be good, he certainly has talent. If he does get the job it will be interesting to see how he does without Chelsea's many douchebags weighing him down at every turn.
I'd rather have him than Blanc. If just for the beard.

I'm happy about it because it's another interesting storyline for the league. Can't wait to see how he handles the media, and how Spurs get on under his leadership. If he does well it could cast a serious shadow over that Chelsea squad; for good reason or not.

I have had literally more than half of my on-topic, non-inflammatory posts on RAWK deleted. I know I'm not on some kind of "invisible to others" mode because I can see other people quoting me to respond, but my original posts are nowhere to be found.

What the fuck is with the peanut-brained mods over there? It's not a fucking news aggregate, it's a forum. Can there not be one thread that is allowed to stray off of posting articles and responding directly to them? God damn...

Yeah from lurking that forum, the mods are pretty shit.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5dKATlEKkAI

GorillaJu

For a PL club, Spurs should demand £35m+, but for a foreign club, 20-25 is a much better reflection of his value in the current market.

Feorax

They're going nuts basically. I have had the same thing happen.

Only RAWK though, its to be expected.

Salazar

At least Liverpool haven't had one midfielder swiped by those Juve bastards and another cock up his life so badly he is reduced to making Sam Allardyce tea with forty sugars.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
For a PL club, Spurs should demand £35m+, but for a foreign club, 20-25 is a much better reflection of his value in the current market.

This is Real Madrid we are talking about. They can pay £35m+ and they will be made to pay it. If not the player isn't leaving.

Speaking of Spurs... Vertonghen not being allowed to join due to contract issue with Ajax?

There is a small hitch between Ajax and Vertonghen but the two clubs have agreed their parts of the deal and the new contract is agreed. De Boer says he still expects it to happen.

I'd agree that he's not of the calibre of player you've listed, but he's still got 5 years of service ahead of him, and he's a fantastic player. I'd say he's worth £30 million, easily. At the end of the day, he's worth whatever value he is to the Spurs squad, not some magical qualifier that places him on a universal list of footballers.

Spurs don't have to sell, he's reaching the prime of his career, and he's central to the way they play. Spurs have every right to demand £40 million, because anyone who wants him is going to take all that away from them. Even with such huge funds, it's not an easy task for Spurs to replace him in the squad.

I can agree to that. That's why we forced you to spend that much on Downing :p

GorillaJu

At least Liverpool haven't had one midfielder swiped by those Juve bastards and another cock up his life so badly he is reduced to making Sam Allardyce tea with forty sugars.

Has Pogba actually put pen to paper yet for Juve? Anything could happen still with that one, if not. Morrison, though, is a real shame.

And we do have a 17 year old who is already on schedule to be the father of two. His two children will be born within a week of each other. :lol

Jensen

Don't worry, still plenty more in the youth team we can get overexcited about...

petrucci.jpg

...then watch leave.

Has Pogba actually put pen to paper yet for Juve? Anything could happen still with that one, if not. Morrison, though, is a real shame.

And we do have a 17 year old who is already on schedule to be the father of two. His two children will be born within a week of each other. :lol

I'm not even sure he should be ashamed of that. Hopefully he is as potent on the field as he is in the bedroom.

Wessiej

Speaking of Spurs... Vertonghen not being allowed to join due to contract issue with Ajax?

Give it a couple of days.

OH GAWD THEN I GOT TO CHANGE MY AVATAR AGAIN. Last year I had Suarez, so I think it's a curse. Who the fuck do I need to put in there again, knowing he will leave at the end of the season...

Salazar

Don't worry, still plenty more in the youth team we can get overexcited about...

Hnngggggg.

Michael Keane should definitely be sorting out a championship loan*. Petrucci-who-flames-gently-like-a-newborn-god should probably do likewise. He looks fit now.

*Will also needs to prove that he can do it, somewhere, but I understand that's probably not going to happen soon.

Give it a couple of days.

OH GAWD THEN I GOT TO CHANGE MY AVATAR AGAIN. Last year I had Suarez, so I think it's a curse. Who the fuck do I need to put in there again, knowing he will leave at the end of the season...

Hamdaoui

EDIT: Nvm. Just read about that relationship.

Schøne

Yen

Suso, widely seen as our second biggest talent, is out of contract next year. Maybe we'll get a saga with that.

Slizz

I suppose its already been discussed but Beckham should have been picked over Giggs for the Olympic squad.

Beckham really wanted to play this year and vocalized it. I can't recall hearing Giggs saying much other than he'd be honored if selected, which is a generic response to that question.

Yen

I suppose its already been discussed but Beckham should have been picked over Giggs for the Olympic squad.

Beckham really wanted to play this year and vocalized it. I can't recall hearing Giggs saying much other than he'd be honored if selected, which is a generic response to that question.

Does Beckham deserve to get it on merit?

dc89

Btw, didn't see dc post it: MCFC's new kit will go on sale July 6th. Looking forward to the third kit..heard a rumor that it's black and white? Some sort of throwback to the original kit from the club's first name (St. Mark's) I believe.

:O beat me to the PR. Yeah, St Marks was the original name of the club.

Funny you said that it could be black and white because as you said they are the original colours of the club and this summer they are opening a suite in honor of the lady who founded us.

Hmm apparently we showed interest in loaning Lukaku after getting Ariel Jacobs as a manager, who was the man first putting Lukaku on the first team in Anderlecth when he was 16. Chelsea are saying no though because he will lose his homegrown status. Shame, would have been a perfect solution for when N'Doye goes.

Jacobs pretty much loved Lukaku blindly. He's kind of a yes man though, thus why most people here don't expect him to take many (any?) good players from Anderlecht with him. That's also why Anderlecht board loved him, he never asked for players and agreed to sell off their best players "because he understands how a football club works".

Arnie

Suso, widely seen as our second biggest talent, is out of contract next year. Maybe we'll get a saga with that.

Rodgers'll have him in the starting line up by then, passing our opponents into submission with some true tiki-taka shit.

Slizz

Does Beckham deserve to get it on merit?

Maybe, but is Giggs noticeably better than Beckham at this point in their careers? Giggs needs a rest to begin with because he wasn't looking very sharp at the end of the season for United. Meanwhile Beckham is 'MLS game-shape' since they are mid-season right now.

GQman2121

Banned

Baffling omission considering how big a role Becks played over the last few years to help bring the games to London.

Yen

Maybe, but is Giggs noticeably better than Beckham at this point in their careers? Giggs needs a rest to begin with because he wasn't looking very sharp at the end of the season for United. Meanwhile Beckham is 'MLS game-shape' since they are mid-season right now.

I imagine there is quite a bit (read: a lot) of difference in the physicality and overall standard of play between the MLS and the Premier League. Beckham wasn't fit (or good enough) to play for England three/four years ago, god knows what that means for him now.

PaulLFC

Seems the latest rumours are that Gylfi was offered £25,000 a week at Swansea, so we offered £30,000. Spurs have offered him £45,000. If Rodgers really wants him I can't imagine us not at least matching that if the figure is in any way correct - I was expecting it to be closer to £60,000 but if indeed it is £45,000, I'd think Rodgers would expect us to match that if he still wants to sign Gylfi. I can't see us signing many players capable of improving our squad straight away for less than 45 grand a week.

Slizz

I imagine there is quite a bit (read: a lot) of difference in the physicality and overall standard of play between the MLS and the Premier League. Beckham wasn't fit (or good enough) to play for England three/four years ago, god knows what that means for him now.

Yeah I know thats why i put "" around MLS shape. Still, he can slot a FK in and like I said I think Giggs needs some rest.

GorillaJu

Long read but interesting insight here into Cardiff and their situation. A journalist's notes on a meeting that happened between fans and club executives (the manager has a cameo as well).

http://myonlycardiff.com/2012/06/27/cardiff-city-season-ticket-refund-meeting-270612/

If the club board members are sincerely without a clue about how the owners plan to finance and merchandise the club, as they seem to be, they're really in a cluster fuck.

Changing the badge, the mascot and the colors is a pretty big re-branding. I imagine they want Cardiff to be the favored English club in Malaysia, similar to how Venkys wants Blackburn to be India's team. The problem both have is that neither are in the Premiership, and that's going to put a very dire strain on their ability to gain recognition outside of the UK, with so few games being filmed/broadcasted, and so little exposure in the press.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom