• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2011/2012 | OT12 | All the clowns were offside...

Status
Not open for further replies.
ahahaha

His passing stats are some of the best in the PL same for chances created. If only the big clubs thought so little of him, might have a chance if keeping him.

I'll repeat that he's good, but I've rarely seem him turn it on against a good side. It must be a luck thing because whenever i watch him he's mostly a sideways and backwards merchant. That's fine but i'd want more for my money. He wouldn't get into Spain's midfield, for easy example.

GorillaJu

Saying that he wouldn't get into Spain's midfield is pretty much impossible to disagree with, all you're saying is that he's not one of the best three midfielders in the world. Top 10? Definitely. Maybe even top 5

Lightning

Banned
I'll repeat that he's good, but I've rarely seem him turn it on against a good side. It must be a luck thing because whenever i watch him he's mostly a sideways and backwards merchant. That's fine but i'd want more for my money. He wouldn't get into Spain's midfield, for easy example.
Is that fair? Fabregas is forced to play striker because even he can't get into Spains midfield despite being a much better player than Modric.

Ashes

Banned

You say that like it's all logical, and coherent. Mata hasn't had a single minute. David Silva who went off the boil in the second half of the season makes the first 11.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
More stats:

http://thinkfootball.co.uk/a-statistical-look-at-europes-top-centre-midfielders/

edit: I should make clear that I think -pound for euro- he is overated at £30M+

According to that, Modric is second only to Pirlo in key passes, and his overall rating is 4th behind Xavi, Pirlo and Schweinsteiger.

Some would say Silva is.

Nobody would say Silva, he's been crap for 6 months. Yaya is much more consistent and much more important to City.

Lightning

Banned
Lol Cesc Fabregas is NOT a better player than Modrić.
Dont agree. Fabregas when playing for Arsenal was the best midfielder in the PL. He has dropped down for Barcelona/Spain but only because they are playing him in wrong positions. I remember watching a game where Barcelona deployed him as a winger. A freakin winger? Argh no just no...

Salazar

This is subjective.

Some would say Silva is. Others Cleverley.

aqqEW.gif

If only Silva could finish.

Ashes

Banned
According to that, Modric is second only to Pirlo in key passes, and his overall rating is 4th behind Xavi, Pirlo and Schweinsteiger.

Nobody would say Silva, he's been crap for 6 months. Yaya is much more consistent and much more important to City.

In the table yeah. And the text goes into some depth:

While passing statistics have been already been discussed, one type of pass not included were key passes. As mentioned, these are a pass which leads to a shot on goal by a teammate.

The proprietor here is Andrea Pirlo, who has so far made 90 key passes in 29 games, an average of 2.9 per game. Not far behind again is Miralem Pjanic, who, along with Etienne Didot of Toulouse and Fulham’s Danny Murphy, makes 2.4 key passes per game. Yet again, Xavi Hernandez ranks highly, making 2.3 key passes per game.

I think Modric is brilliant. Him and Fabregas are the same type of player IMO. Creative, controls a game, makes key passes and assists. Although Cesc has scored more goals ;)

Lightning, just accept that he'll never come back to us :(

Cesc is better than Modric. At least he was when he played in England anyway.

Modric is brilliant. I don't think he is worth £40m but then he doesn't really have to be for Madrid or Chelsea. For United our financial plight means we have to think long and hard about transfer spending and maybe Modric isn't perfect for us.

If we spent £40m on him I would be delighted though. I say he's worth £30m but sometimes you have to overpay for what you need. Our CM is so bad it would make a huge difference to us.

Modric can be a little inconsistent at times and against the best teams he can sometimes struggle a little...but really what more can you expect. Very few players dominate all the games against the best sides. Modric would be playing with better players at United IMO and that would only help him.

Anyway we won't be signing him so really I don't care where he goes. I'd like Spurs to keep him cos I love watching him and like to see them do well.

Kem0sabe

Have to congratulate our Spanish friends, it was a tough fought match and either team could have won.

Best of luck for the final. :)

Lightning

Banned
I think Modric is brilliant. Him and Fabregas are the same type of player IMO. Creative, controls a game, makes key passes and assists. Although Cesc has scored more goals ;)

Lightning, just accept that he'll never come back to us :(
I know he wont but I can dream. How I fucking hate that transfer lol.

I do believe he is better than Modric though. Fabregas can cut through any defece, Modric plays deeper and I don't believe he's as creative as Cesc. I just don't.

I know he wont but I can dream. How I fucking hate that transfer lol.

I do believe he is better than Modric though. Fabregas can cut through any defece, Modric plays deeper and I don't believe he's as creative as Cesc. I just don't.

I didn't mind that he went back to his boyhood club, the club he was always destined to go back to. What I hated was how little we got for him. €34m apparently! We should have held out for 40-50m.

GorillaJu

Cesc is injury prone and gives away goals with atrocious passing sometimes. He's a better goal scorer than Modrić and can play further up the pitch but as a central midfielder I would have Modrić over him.

Cesc is like Rooney in that he plays shit for much of the game then comes out with some brilliant (or not) goal out of nowhere. If I were building a team I wouldn't give preference to this skill.

I think Cesc is a fantastic passer of the ball. I can't say I remember him making too many mistake that lead to goals, only one I can think of is the one against Barca.

Cesc used to dominate games in the PL from a very young age. At Barcelona he doesn't look as great but this is a guy who had something close to 20 goals and 20 assists a couple of years ago in the PL, pretty incredible and he is still relatively young.

madmackem

FootyGhana understands on loan Sunderland and Ghana striker Asamoah Gyan is set to sign a 5-year permanent deal with Al Ain after a loan spell with the UAE Champions expired this summer.

This 5-year deal could see the Baby Jet (as he is affectionately called) go home with a ‘whopping’ £140,000 weekly wage in a £15 million additional transfer fee. Sunderland will therefore milk a total of £21 million from Al Ain for the Ghanaian striker.

Good god we got £21m in total for him, daft money.

Ushojax

Good god we got £21m in total for him, daft money.

Great deal for Sunderland. I can't believe how much of a twat Gyan ended up being, I thought he could have done really well in the PL but it was obvious that he didn't want to put the work in.

Hmm apparently we showed interest in loaning Lukaku after getting Ariel Jacobs as a manager, who was the man first putting Lukaku on the first team in Anderlecth when he was 16. Chelsea are saying no though because he will lose his homegrown status. Shame, would have been a perfect solution for when N'Doye goes.

dc89

Woo Amazon order has finally arrived.

A Clash of Kings & Collateral on BluRay. Never seen that movie so I'm looking forward to it!

Oh no! Those picks are fair enough but I so wanted Beckham to be there, he's done so much for the bid itself aswell.

Ah well. The great thing about Beckham is although he will be devestated he won't say much about it and help support the cause in any way he can.

Ushojax

I feel a bit sorry for Beckham. I don't really understand why Bellamy is there when Giggs and presumably Bale will also be involved.

Sahin:

‘I have no intention of changing teams. I am at the best club in the world. Playing for Real Madrid is like living a dream,’ gushed Sahin, who made just eight appearances for the Spanish champions last season.

That will be £40m cash then.

Also Guti thinks Modric is not good enough for Madrid.

Just read a rumor from an Italy that says Juve will offer Matri for Hummels and just Matri, no money on top or anything.

Why you so crazy Italy?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom