• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2012/13 |OT3| Two-sided triangles

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
Spurs squad assuming outgoings go through:

GK: Friedel, Gomes, Cudicini
DEF: Walker, Naughton, Smith, Kaboul, Dawson, Vertonghen, Gallas, Caulker, Assou-Ekotto
MID: Sandro, Parker, Dembele, Sigurdsson, Carroll, Huddlestone, Livermore, Bale, Lennon, Townsend, Bentley (lol)
ATT: Adebayor, Defoe, Kane, Giovani

We could do with a CM, an attacking midfielder/striker and maybe a keeper. There really isn't that much work to be done, most of the players who have gone rarely played anyway. King, VDV and Modric have been replaced with Vertonghen, Sigurdsson and Dembele. Now we have to fill out the squad a little but we really aren't desperate for players, assuming that's it for outgoings.

Aside from Modric, would any of the others get many games?

Well we have no RW or LW cover, so Pienaar and Kranjcar would've been nice seeing as we seem to have had bids rejected for Remy and Willian. King retiring was always coming but he still managed several games last season and right now I'd feel more confident with him in the team with Kaboul out for 4 months. Saha I'd rather have right now due to not getting in another striker....

pappe

Spurs squad assuming outgoings go through:

GK: Friedel, Gomes, Cudicini
DEF: Walker, Naughton, Smith, Kaboul, Dawson, Vertonghen, Gallas, Caulker, Assou-Ekotto
MID: Sandro, Parker, Dembele, Sigurdsson, Huddlestone, Livermore, Bale, Lennon, Townsend, Bentley (lol)
ATT: Adebayor, Defoe, Kane, Giovani

We could do with a CM, an attacking midfielder/striker and maybe a keeper. There really isn't that much work to be done, most of the players who have gone rarely played anyway. King, VDV and Modric have been replaced with Vertonghen, Sigurdsson and Dembele. Now we have to fill out the squad a little but we really aren't desperate for players, assuming that's it for outgoings.

Where is the creativity gonna come from? Modric and VDV created the most number of chances for Spurs. gylfi is more of a finishing kind of players rather than a creator same with Bale. Dembele is also not a creator as far as i can tell.

Ushojax

Well we have no RW or LW cover, so Pienaar and Kranjcar would've been nice seeing as we seem to have had bids rejected for Remy and Willian. King retiring was always coming but he still managed several games last season and right now I'd feel more confident with him in the team with Kaboul out for 4 months. Saha I'd rather have right now due to not getting in another striker....

We are trying to get Willian/Remy, if those fail we still have Gio. King was dogshit for the second half of last season and he cost us multiple games with his lack of mobility. City away, Norwich at home, Chelsea in the semi-final, he was not able to play and if we were wheeling him out again this season I would be seriously worried.

We are trying to get Willian/Remy, if those fail we still have Gio. King was dogshit for the second half of last season and he cost us multiple games with his lack of mobility. City away, Norwich at home, Chelsea in the semi-final, he was not able to play and if we were wheeling him out again this season I would be seriously worried.

We have Gio? Have you ever watched him in a Spurs shirt?

Yeah King perhaps dropped in the latter part of the season but I'd still take him in the squad.

Lightning

Banned
Spurs don't need to worry about scoring goals with AVB, imo, the goals will come. It's their defence that would concern me and I feel a goal keeper should be a priority because their current 3 are not good enough.

Wilbur

Banned
Spurs don't need to worry about scoring goals with AVB, imo, the goals will come. It's their defence that would concern me and I feel a goal keeper should be a priority because their current 3 are not good enough.

Exactly the same problem as Arsenal.

That's why they'll always be Vizekusen, i mean their summer has to be one of the worst. They could've gotten 30m for Schürrle, 25 for Bender and didnt do it. I doubt that the two will ever be worth more than that and even with them Leverkusen wont win shit. They should've sold at least one of them, and used the money to buy a few more quality players (/keep Yesil).

They're a "corporate club". They don't have a bottomless trove like Wolfsburg, but they can still do big signings if they wanted to (and if the said player wanted to sign with them <- big factor). At least they don't give a flying fuck if someone's offering 20 or 30 millions for one of their squad pillars as long as they don't see a worthwhile substitute who'd be willing to play for Neverkusen.
And if they really didn't see a chance fro Yesil to breakthrough then why not ship him off to someone else whilst securing a buy-back-option. That's fine, imho.
However I feel like they do lack strikers atm, lol

Cisse's done fuck all for us since that game btw. :lol He's been completely anonymous.
Oh :(

Ushojax

We have Gio? Have you ever watched him in a Spurs shirt?

Yeah King perhaps dropped in the latter part of the season but I'd still take him in the squad.

Gio had a great Olympics, as 4th choice he can do a job if he pulls his finger out. I really don't see the point in stressing about whether this seasons 4th choice is any better than last seasons (Kranjcar). He's hardly going to play.

The trouble with having King in the squad is that he would have been the club captain. That means he has to play and he wasn't capable of doing that. Grant Holt made him look a fool and King was lucky not to get sent off in that 2-1 defeat last season. He was not able to do it any more.

Arsenal have the same problem in the gaffe-prone Chesney. We might have an old man who doesn't like to challenge for corners but he doesn't give penalties away or come racing off his line all the time. We are trying to sign Lloris so work is being done on that front.

dc89

Thanks for everything Nigel! He was awesome, always gave 110% on the pitch and you could tell when you watched Inside City that he was a extremely popular player with the other lads.

qindarka

Banned
I don't watch Tottenham that much but Friedel has always impressed me. Would someone like LLoris really be that much of an improvement (in terms of quality, not age)?

Ushojax

I don't watch Tottenham that much but Friedel has always impressed me. Would someone like LLoris really be that much of an improvement (in terms of quality, not age)?

Not really no, but we have to sign somebody soon. Brad is 41 and while he's still better than Chesney and Reina, it's simply not possible to stay that way forever. If Lloris is available we would be foolish not to try for him.

Wilbur

Banned

Definitely. Friedel is class but his mobility isn't great at his age. Lloris is a top top goalkeeper.

D_prOdigy

Christ, you still have dos Santos? The fans loved me for selling him for £6.8m on FM :lol

Choc

Banned
A-League turning into where stars go to retire

Dwight York
Del Piero
Robbie Fowler
Harry Kewell
Juninho

just to name a few

Hixx

"10.35 Blood on the cobbles up in the North East where Newcastle and Sunderland have taken their discussion about Danny Rose outside. As things stand, it's Sunderland who are standing over their vanquished foe shouting "do you want some more?" while Newcastle pick their teeth up off the floor. This metaphor has got out of hand; I'll just hand it over to Luke Edwards:
"Newcastle never really stood a chance and my North-East face off for Danny Rose lasted less than an hour. The left-back is expected to complete his move to the Stadium of Light well before the 11pm deadline. A season's loan, although I wouldn't be surprised if it was turned into a permanent move at the end of it."

Why were the Mags in for Danny Rose?

Wilbur

Banned
They are both meh.

I still think Cech is the best keeper in the PL.

Cech's been pretty poor apart from the second half of last season since his accident. Hart's better, Friedel might be better, Krul and Vorm might be better.

De Gea is De GOAT

Oh crap, QPR signed Mbia too. He's supposed to be a good CB. So it seems like Liverpool, Newcastle, Everton, QPR are fighting over the 5-6. While Arsenal & Spurs are fighting for 4.

Lightning

Banned
Definitely. Friedel is class but his mobility isn't great at his age. Lloris is a top top goalkeeper.
Lloris did not have the best of seasons with Lyon last year and made some dreadful howlers.

But I don't rate Friedel as high as some seem to. I'd much prefer Szczesny personally.

Hixx

Oh crap, QPR signed Mbia too. He's supposed to be a good CB. So it seems like Liverpool, Newcastle, Everton, QPR are fighting over the 5-6. While Arsenal & Spurs are fighting for 4.

lol

If they finish in the top half I'll have Mark Hughes as my avatar for next season.

qindarka

Banned
Cech's been pretty poor apart from the second half of last season since his accident. Hart's better, Friedel might be better, Krul and Vorm might be better.

De Gea is De GOAT

The claim that Cech has been poor since his injury is not really accurate. He was great just after coming back from his injury in the second half of 06/07. Then he had two shaky seasons by his standards. He was very good in 09/10 and was immense in 10/11, easily being Chelsea's best player and saving them countless times.First half of 11/12 wasn;t so good but he was world-class again in the second half.

Of course, commentators and the media in general like to go along with the story that Cech has terminally declined since his injury and mention it every time he makes a mistake. That doesn't make it true.

Ushojax

Lloris did not have the best of seasons with Lyon last year and made some dreadful howlers.

But I don't rate Friedel as high as some seem to. I'd much prefer Szczesny personally.

The stats from last season massively favour Friedel, his save percentage was 10% higher than Szczesny's. We also conceded fewer goals and Friedel didn't give away any penalties.

Szczesny is a prospect but he is error-prone and too eager to leave his line.

FootballFan

Atlético de Madrid
Athletic Club

Lol I always see you correcting people on that, should be put in the OP, annoys me too :p. Also Bayern Munich/München and Bayer Leverkusen. Not Bayer Munich or Bayern Leverkusen which is a pretty common mistake too.

Where's Baconsaurus at?

:lol

De Jong to Milan?
Del Piero to Sydney?
Charlie Adam to Stoke?
Are these all confirmed?

And if they really didn't see a chance fro Yesil to breakthrough then why not ship him off to someone else whilst securing a buy-back-option. That's fine, imho.
However I feel like they do lack strikers atm, lol

I also just found out that Lewandowski was Yesil's U19 coach. There's no way Völler would have sold if Lewandowski said he wanted to keep him/has a good chance of breaking through. Considering Yesil was great in the last few years, I guess it makes sense that Fazeli promised him (Yesil) the world and Yesil didn't concentrate on just playing football anymore.

lol

If they finish in the top half I'll have Mark Hughes as my avatar for next season.

I remember them as being assholes this past season. I think it was in the game vs. Chelsea where it rained red cards or something. They did sign a few big names though :O
Can Swansea break into the said group or are they just a fluke atm?
I gotta say, EPL and Bundesliga seem mighty interesting this season unlike Serie A & La Liga.

/edit
^ I seee. Well, Lewandowski senior (lol) should know best then.

As good as Friedel was for us last season I don't have the same confidence this season due to the way AVB sets his team up and the way Friedel is too scared to come and claim balls. He is a fantastic shot stopper, probably one of the best in the league but I think bringing in a younger keeper like Lloris would be an amazing signing, even if Friedel stays as number 1 for a bit and then Lloris becomes his understudy for a few months then takes over.

Lightning

Banned
The stats from last season massively favour Friedel, his save percentage was 10% higher than Szczesny's. We also conceded fewer goals and Friedel didn't give away any penalties.

Szczesny is a prospect but he is error-prone and too eager to leave his line.
Arsenal's defence left Szczesny high and dry more and definitely exposed him more than what Spurs done. Arsenal's fullbacks are especially guilty for this but Song's bad positioning and even Vermaelen all had a habit of bombing forward and basically sacrificing Szczesny.

No doubt he did make errors but Arsenal's style of play is hard for a young keeper and he handled it well I thought.

BREAKING: Russian oligarch Boris Berezovsky has lost his High Court battle with Chelsea Football Club owner Roman Abramovich

Roman to celebrate with a few 50 mil players.

Wes

venison crêpe
Villa went from having a bid accepted to being told no in the space of 30 minutes.

If only all transfer stories were that quick.

Dempsey would be a great signing for Villa and exactly what they need but I'd be amazed if it happens. Kind of works in Fulham's and Villa's interest for it to be public knowledge. Fulham can use it to flush out Liverpool, which is where Dempsey wants to go, while Villa will hope that it prompts Genk to be more reasonable over the transfer of Christian Benteke. Villa and Genk remain miles apart in terms of their respective valuations. At the moment the only sure thing that can be said from Villa is that Jordan Bowery will join from Chesterfield. Lambert says he has no qualms about throwing the 21-year-old striker in at the deep end but Villa are going to need another proven goalscorer before the day is out or it could be a long winter.

Makes sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom