• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2012/13 |OT3| Two-sided triangles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Don't you guys have a great youth academy? Surely you can promote a few good players.
You already have good players in the squad, only left is some positions. Is Frimpong any good for the DM position?

Frimpong is very raw. Needs to grow up too. Has potential though.

kharma45

We didn't add? Wait what? We got Kagawa and RVP and a LB cover. For CM, as much as I hate it Fergie still sees something in the Anderson Cleverly partnership we got beginning of last season and we have Carrick as well.

Don't judge as off two games when our main midfielder was used as backup in defense

Plus we've Fletcher coming back it seems as well as Vidic back again, we've had a very good window and are in a much, much better position than last season.

Soi-Fong

Plus we've Fletcher coming back it seems as well as Vidic back again, we've had a very good window and are in a much, much better position than last season.

I'm optimistic on Fletcher and hopefully, Ferdinand comes back soon and Vidic gets back to his usual baddass self.

It wouldn't take a significant investment for Arsenal to become competitive. What is happening at the club?

Factor in that and we've probably made money. I want to wake up from this nightmare.

It's a good question, where the club is now doesn't really make much sense from any perspective. Before this window I assumed the owners were just content with top 4, CL money and all that, but now Arsenal are at a real risk of being left behind and falling out of those top 4 spots.

Salvadora

That loan would have done him good if he hadn't been injured.

It's a good question, where the club is now doesn't really make much sense from any perspective. Before this window I assumed the owners were just content with top 4, CL money and all that, but now Arsenal are at a real risk of being left behind and falling out of those top 4 spots.
And yet no-one at the club seems to give a fuck.

kharma45

I'm optimistic on Fletcher and hopefully, Ferdinand comes back soon and Vidic gets back to his usual baddass self.

He's lasted the full 90 minutes in the last two U21 games which is much better than I expected for this stage of his comeback, I'd say he could be back by the end of October if he keeps this up.

elsk

Banned

Central midfield is the hardest position to fill for young players, but I think you guys should give Frimpong and other players their chance. It worked well for Bayern giving Badstuber, Contento, Mueller, Alaba a chance back in the 09/10 season. It's very shitty at the start, but they improve really fast.

Soi-Fong

He's lasted the full 90 minutes in the last two U21 games which is much better than I expected for this stage of his comeback, I'd say he could be back by the end of October if he keeps this up.

Fergie has taken a big risk by not upgrading our midfield, but it says a lot when he's putting faith on Carrick, Cleverly, Anderson and even Fletcher.

I just can't see Fergie being blind to the midfield problem.. He hasn't bought yes, but there must be something else to it.

Lightning

Banned
Factor in that and we've probably made money. I want to wake up from this nightmare.
Not only that, we're only paying a high quality player like Cazorla 80k a week? That is diabolical. How can we expect to keep our best players if we refuse to pay them the going market price. Because of this any player who has a blinder for us will leave because Chelsea, Man U etc... will all offer better wages then we will. It's just not good enough. All that talk from Gazidis about fixing our wage structure and all we've done is make it worse.

Our wage structure cost us Ashley Cole, Samir Nasri, Alex Song and very soon Theo Walcott and if nothing changes Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain, Jack Wilshere and Aaron Ramsey as well.

Arsenal gaf relax for a second. Let's see what happens against Liverpool first.
I won't relax. We sold Alex Song, who openly admitted wanted to stay on a long term deal with a better contract and not only did we not replace him but it looks like we didn't even try. There is no way Liverpool should have beaten us to Sahin and they only done it because of Wenger's stubborness. Not only that but Wenger comes out and takes the piss by saying "We could have signed Sahin if we really wanted him" What the fuck is that shit Wenger?

That loan would have done him good if he hadn't been injured.

Yup. Should go on loan to somewhere like Bolton or Swansea. Coyle and Wenger have a good relationship.

Central midfield is the hardest position to fill for young players, but I think you guys should give Frimpong and other players their chance. It worked well for Bayern giving Badstuber, Contento, Mueller, Alaba a chance back in the 09/10 season. It's very shitty at the start, but they improve really fast.

But only Mueller and Alaba are good :p

Salvadora

Not only that, we're only paying a high quality player like Cazorla 80k a week? That is diabolical. How can we expect to keep our best players if we refuse to pay them the going market price. Because of this any player who has a blinder for us will leave because Chelsea, Man U etc... will all offer better wages then we will. It's just not good enough. All that talk from Gazidis about fixing our wage structure and all we've done is make it worse.

Our wage structure cost us Ashley Cole, Samir Nasri, Alex Song and very soon Theo Walcott and if nothing changes Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain, Jack Wilshere and Aaron Ramsey as well.

When Wenger leaves we'll be up shit creek without a paddle.

jtb

Banned
Arsenal gaf relax for a second. Let's see what happens against Liverpool first.

We always do well at Anfield. most own goals of any PL fixture too, according to the Guardian :lol. It's the fixtures deep into the season when key players get injured that we go off the boil. When Cazorla gets injured or we lose any of the first choice back line, we're going to be in big trouble.

ShogunX

I've only been in 305 once and that was City in the Carling Cup. By far the best atmosphere I've experienced since Champions League. Stood the whole match too, was brilliant.

I was a bit lower for that game (208) and it was amazing but even then I was glancing up at 305 with envy. By attending about 90% of our matches last season I now get priority access so have made sure I am in either 305 or the surrounding area for this season.

Worst experience I have had at Anfield was the 1-1 draw against Villa. I was at the back of Anny road surrounded by fucking tourists and nobody sang a single song and constantly moaned about people standing up. Never sitting in lower Anny Road again.

I can see totally the similarity between Klopp and Rogers...

You just have to be patient....Under Klopp's first year we got knocked out from Europa league's qualifier.....Before the last match day that year We're 3 points away from obtaining a spot for Europa league and somehow we end up drawing gladbach(who's fighting for survival at the time) at home....He sold our fan favorite Alex Frei (Oh god I still miss him =(), sold Petric who'd been very good for us only to get Zidan(like a poor man's Suarez, can't score ffs) and an unproven defender from 2nd division......I have to admit there were times I wished him to be fired...Glad the club executives had more patience than I did....

Albeit the competition in EPL is fiercer, Liverpool already has a very good side consisting of many promising youngsters.... Just don't exert too much pressure now...You can't expect your side to push for CL place when half your squad are new signings...Give the project sometime and I can see you becoming a competitive force in a few years time.

I don't think Liverpool had a bad transfer window at all. The players who left are of questionable value, and the players who came in are all improvements to the squad. Rodgers will just have to get value for money out of Downing and Henderson. I think it can be done!

I'm not sure what to make of Spurs.

Salvadora

We always do well at Anfield. most own goals of any PL fixture too, according to the Guardian :lol. It's the fixtures deep into the season when key players get injured that we go off the boil. When Cazorla gets injured or we lose any of the first choice back line, we're going to be in big trouble.

Apparently Wilshere and Diaby will save.

Soi-Fong

I can see totally the similarity between Klopp and Rogers...

You just have to be patient....Under Klopp's first year we got knocked out from Europa league's qualifier.....Before the last match day that year We're 3 points away from obtaining a spot for Europa league and somehow we end up drawing gladbach(who's fighting for survival at the time) at home....He sold our fan favorite Alex Frei (Oh god I still miss him =(), sold Petric who'd been very good for us only to get Zidan(like a poor man's Suarez, can't score ffs) and an unproven defender from 2nd division......I have to admit there were times I wished him to be fired...Glad the club executives had more patience than I did....

Albeit the competition in EPL is fiercer, Liverpool already has a very good side consisting of many promising youngsters.... Just don't exert too much pressure now...You can't expect your side to push for CL place when half your squad are new signings...Give the project sometime and I can see you becoming a competitive force in a few years time.

Can't be done without the help of the board though and judging from that quote a few pages back, FSG isn't gonna support the club as much anymore.

I said anyone else today. United's defense and midfield has a few holes that needed to be filled still.

It's only our midfield that needs help. We have plenty of cover for defense, but they all happen to be injured right now (though Evans is coming back). We're not like City and will immediately try to spend based off knee-jerk reaction similar to what dc had when Aguero got injured.

sixghost

Some people are saying Everton snuck Vadis Odjidja-Ofoe through in time. He's a Belgian DM from Club Brugges. Loan with an option to buy. Hopefully this means less Neville in the midfield.

Great summer for everton.

Can't be done without the help of the board though and judging from that quote a few pages back, FSG isn't gonna support the club as much anymore.
Just to clear this up, cos I originally posted about it.

Not that FSG will not support the club. The suggestion was that they had planned one original and big spending spree, which was last summer, and from now on the spend needs to be funded fully by the club itself.

We shall see if it actually works out like that, and if Liverpool can keep their players than perhaps that's enough to get by on anyway, I don't think they need massive investment from outside, especially with the new TV rights deal coming in.

Some people are saying Everton snuck Vadis Odjidja-Ofoe through in time. He's a Belgian DM from Club Brugges. Loan with an option to buy. Hopefully this means less Neville in the midfield.

UK media reporting it as confirmed.

jtb

Banned
Liverpool gaf must be shaking in their boots.

I think you're being overly pessimistic (not that I blame you). Liverpool are far from the finished product. It'll be a good, open game. Lots of goals, less than a point would be a disappointment.

Salvadora

Will be a good game for sure. Excited for it! :)

It'll be the first team we come across that isn't defending deep. Our defence's first test really.

I think you're being overly pessimistic (not that I blame you). Liverpool are far from the finished product. It'll be a good, open game. Lots of goals, less than a point would be a disappointment.
Yeah I suppose they'll miss quite a few of the chance's we'll give them.

Soi-Fong

Nothing against you guys, but I'm hoping Sahin does really well! Dude deserves it after what he had to go through at Real.

Lightning

Banned
To be honest I have no fear of Liverpool. They're in a worse position than us imo, our midfield and attacking line is much better than theirs imo. I have no fear of Spurs either as I feel the loss of Modric and VDV is really going to hurt them.

Yeah I suppose they'll miss quite a few of the chance's we'll give them.
If Arteta wasn't playing I would be worried about our defence but he's playing so I am not as worried. I hope Szczesny is back though otherwise that could be a problem. lol

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member

Nice. I was hoping we'd sign N'Zonzi but Vadis will do. I don't know a thing about him but like you would like to see less Neville.

jtb

Banned
Nothing against you guys, but I'm hoping Sahin does really well! Dude deserves it after what he had to go through at Real.

Same; very disappointed he didn't join us but I'm not too concerned. I know Wenger would have balked at his huge wage and (the dealbreaker) him potentially interrupting Wilshere's progress. Esp since Arteta is great cover for Wilshere already. And he certainly won't be enough to propel Liverpool anywhere near a top 4 position, so who cares?

Bigger problem is the gaping hole in the DM position...

He's good, hard working CM, tireless and technical enough. A bit on the weak side but he makes up for it with nasty tackles. He's had some serious attitude problems in the past though but he's matured now apparently.

Pretty funny how even the more obscure Belgian players like Vadis or Benteke are picked by PL clubs, there sure is a trend. Probably means Fellaini won't go back to playing as a DM for Everton now.

Think Benteke at Villa is a bit risky but he's been doing well for the last two years, he's a more complete striker than Lukaku atm but he doesn't have quite the same physical potential.

Fergie has taken a big risk by not upgrading our midfield, but it says a lot when he's putting faith on Carrick, Cleverly, Anderson and even Fletcher.

I just can't see Fergie being blind to the midfield problem.. He hasn't bought yes, but there must be something else to it.

This faith makes no sense. A lot of other big clubs have a world class midfield and yet they continue to buy midfielders. It's still the weakest area at United even if they stay fit.

As if yesterdays Chocolate digestive disaster wasn't bad enough, I've just had a helluva 1on1 with the biggest spider I've ever seen.

This can't be good for me.

Not that FSG will not support the club. The suggestion was that they had planned one original and big spending spree, which was last summer, and from now on the spend needs to be funded fully by the club itself.

We assume they spent around, what, 35-50 million (I can't see any reliable figures) last summer on Adams, Enrique, Henderson, and Downing. This year about 25-30 million was spent on Allen, Borini, Sahin and Assaidi? To me that's not a sign that Liverpool will now have to be 'self sufficient'.

Salvadora

Manchester City, predictably, were big spenders as they parted with £38m to sign Benfica's Javi Garcia, Fiorentina defender Matija Nastasic, Maicon from Inter Milan and Swansea City winger Scott Sinclair.
Spent more than us on the final day than we spent in the whole window disregarding sales.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom