• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2012/13 |OT3| Two-sided triangles

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yen

Think they'll stay up quite easily tbh.

For sure, a lot of new faces and pressure but still quality players who will get them the points they need.

And Hughes isn't that bad. He's had okay/good results everywhere he's managed. Not sure where the idea he's a crap manager has come from really.

agreed

Hoplatee

There. Resubbed to my football channel (Sport1) again so I can watch foreign leagues again. Started missing the Premier League a bit too much and I need my weekly Barca/Real dose. 15 euro for 5 or so leagues isn't that bad I guess!

Eredivisie just isn't enough quality :(

They won. What more could you ask for?

and is the new TV deal really that much more money than the current one?
I believe that for the club that finishes bottom, is at least £60m.

Edit - Just to put that into context, City got £60m last year and they're Champions. Actual figure will be higher than even £60m when related rights such as Internet highlights are sold. The total package should be above £5bn for 3 years.

That's quite a lot of money.

The PL is going to stretch so far ahead of other leagues when it comes to attracting players as the clubs will afford higher fees and wages. Its gonna be so bad so the teams that come up, spend and get relegated...and you'll basically have to spend if you want to stay up.

Hoplatee

I believe that for the club that finishes bottom, is at least £60m.

That's quite a lot of money.

The PL is going to stretch so far ahead of other leagues when it comes to attracting players as the clubs will afford higher fees and wages. Its gonna be so bad so the teams that come up, spend and get relegated...and you'll basically have to spend if you want to stay up.

That is crazy. Our champion will only get 8 to 10 million. :/

Smaller country, not that interesting to other places, bla bla. But that difference is so big. Pretty much the reason Dutch football slipped down so much recent years. Just no way to catch up or being able to hold talents.

Last achievement was in 04/05 when we should have been in the CL & UEFA Cup final but both teams got knocked out in the last semi final match. Damn those last second goals. PSV would have beaten Liverpool, np!

Salvadora

bwCpG.jpg

xbhaskarx

Jimmy Nielsen was playing on goal. I refuse to believe he's the best keeper in any league of the world.

He's not even close, it was a combination of his team not giving up cery many goals, and fan voting.
---

Some random dude in an ESPN chat may have said Liverpool's bid was higher than Tottenham's 7m, but Fulham are claiming it was only 3m:

http://www.guardian.co.uk//football/2012/sep/01/liverpool-fail-clint-dempsey-financial-constraints

• Fulham claim Liverpool offered only £3m for American
• Charlie Adam joins Stoke in a deal worth £4m

The extent of the financial constraints on Brendan Rodgers at Liverpool was laid bare on Friday night as the club's owners, Fenway Sports Group, failed to agree a deal with Fulham for Clint Dempsey. The collapse of the United States international's proposed move to Anfield leaves Liverpool with only two senior forwards – Luis Suárez and Fabio Borini – until the transfer window reopens in January.

In another day of wage reductions at Anfield, Rodgers released three more players – Charlie Adam, Jay Spearing and Nathan Eccleston – but that was not enough for his employers to meet Fulham's demands for a minimum £5m fee for Dempsey. Fulham claim Liverpool offered only £3m for the American, who became the second Rodgers' target this summer to sign instead for Tottenham Hotspur following Gylfi Sigurdsson.

Fenway Sports Group had misgivings over paying a substantial fee for a 29-year-old despite Dempsey, who scored 23 goals last season, doing his utmost to force a move to Merseyside. He had informed Aston Villa, who agreed a £5m plus add-ons transfer with Fulham, that he wished to join only Liverpool.

If Liverpool offering £4 million for Dempsey as reported, was insulting, and I certainly think it was, what does that make a £3 million offer after selling Charlie Adam for £4 million, as Fulham is claiming?

ShogunX

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOR you lot are unreal the screams will be unmerciful soon enough dont say I didnt warn you !!! WHERE IS OUR GOAL SCORER? WHERE IS OUR STRIKER? WHY HAVE WE LET SO MANY PLAYERS GO OFF THE WAGE BILL AND NOT REPLACED THEM? DONT START FUCKING CRYING WHEN WE GO DOWN !!! CAUSE WE JUST MIGHT !!ANOTHER SET OF LYING BASTARDS TOM WERNER WE CAN COMPETE WITH THE BEST? REALLY? YOU COULDNT EVEN OUTBID VILLA LYING BASTARDS ALL OVER AGAIN REAP WHAT YOU SOW BUT MARK MY WORDS YOU WILL BE ALL FUCKING MOANING WHEN IT GOES PEAR SHAPED IT ALREADY HAS !!! BUT THEN AGAIN DONT SUPPOSE YOUD CARE ANYWAY WOULD YA YOU CAN EASILY JUMP ON THE CHELSEA MAN CITY BAND WAGON GLORY HUNTER.

MY CLUB IS DEAD ITS DISGUSTING THAT ANOTHER SET OF OVER SEA PEOPLE HAVE DESROYED THE MOST IMPORTANT LOVE IN MY LIFE AND THAT IS MY FOOTBALL CLUB !!!

Have it your welcome to it cause I dont give 2 fucks about it anymore !!!

I fucking love Rawk.

Arnie

I'm personally still deciding on whether I want to support Chelsea or City once Liverpool disappear from the face of the earth after failing to loan Sturridge.

My heart tells me to choose Chelsea to reunite with the love of my life, Fernando Torres, but my head tells me to choose City because they signed Richard Wright.

Salvadora

I'm personally still deciding on whether I want to support Chelsea or City once Liverpool disappear from the face of the earth after failing to loan Sturridge.

My heart tells me to choose Chelsea to reunite with the love of my life, Fernando Torres, but my head tells me to choose City because they signed Richard Wright.

I suppose Arsenal will be dropping with you.

K1LLER7

Choose Everton, they'll last :p

ShogunX

I personally would go with Man Utd. I could save a load of money not going to watch them live and instead blend into their 659 million world wide fanbase by buying a home shirt.

Michael Owen presumably still knows the way to Anfield.

Go on.

Would it surprise you to know that a few people on RAWK have suggested this? Honestly signing Owen now would bring more ridicule than not signing anyone. He's absolutely finished (Which means he will score against us for Stoke).

Sloosha

Join the Swansea revolution. They play like Barca (Better version of course) and their kit looks like Real Madrid's (Again, a better version).

Salazar

Would it surprise you to know that a few people on RAWK have suggested this?

Very few things would surprise me in relation to RAWK.

He probably still wants a proper footballer's wage, though.

see you can't say chelsea outplayed barca or bayern

Yes you can. That's what beating someone in a football game means. That's what it involves. Why is this so fucking hard to grasp.

but you can say bilbao did to manchester..

Yes, United were shite against Bilbao and Bilbao were great. It's not a basis for confident extrapolation about the standards of English and Spanish football in general.

Meier

That is absolutely amazing that Downing was 27 and they spent that much on him. Anything under £10m was an absolute steal for Clint Dempsey given the way he has played the last two years. The guy is playing at the top of his game has only been getting better for both club and country. £3m.. that's just absurd. Absolutely laughable.

Read an article that suggested we wanted to permanently sign Omar Abdulrahman and loan him out for a year (possibly to France) but he decided to stay at Al Ain in the UAE for at least one more year. Hope we consider him again. I was also impressed by Nir Biton this summer. Googled him and the Mail said Spurs were in for him about 2 weeks ago. Wonder if he signed with anyone permanently?

FuturusX

Liverpool should have signed a striker...

And what if Suarez is out, injured or otherwise? City / UTD / Chelsea / Spurs...that's your top 4. With Arsenal in the hunt too...

Time for the kids I guess...The fans wanted Kenny...(not me...all good things...) his poor spending combined with FSG's penny pinching means this is the new reality....

GorillaJu

Downing was a horrible buy at the price we've paid. This year's acquisitions are much better, some of them amazing even. Sahin for
11m next year, 1m for the best young striker in Germany, Borini was under 10, Assaidi 3m, and Joe Allen 15m. Allen's fee stands out the most obviously but we'll get the full value out of that. We kept all our good players, even despite Man City money on the table – an indulgence that Arsenal is too addicted to to go a year without.

Competition is too fierce to expect a flying start and I expect a really rough year but we had a good transfer window and of those brought in, I think the chance of us suddenly needing to offload them next year is basically nil.

AndresON777

shooting blanks
El Tigre played great but like Messi (lol) he needs to lift his National team. It wont be easy against the JTs of Uruguay and Chile but he has help with James and Ospino is a decent keeper.

Jimrpg

Some people are saying Everton snuck Vadis Odjidja-Ofoe through in time. He's a Belgian DM from Club Brugges. Loan with an option to buy. Hopefully this means less Neville in the midfield.

Great summer for everton.

as an everton fan - really happy with the summer signings.

Mirallas provides Moyes with an option to go 442 and competition for Jelavic

Oviedo will be able to provide cover for baines at left back and get some time at left midfield as well.

Odjija means Fellaini can stay in the number 10 role

Naismith is the right sided Pienaar...

Still been crying out for a right back for the last 5 years or so - but Moyes seems happy with just Neville and Hibbert and Jags as third cover.

I don't really see Matthew Kennedy getting any time in the first team this year.

Pretty interesting deadline day as a whole... did not expect van der vaart to go!

flyover

Competition is too fierce to expect a flying start and I expect a really rough year but we had a good transfer window and of those brought in, I think the chance of us suddenly needing to offload them next year is basically nil.

This is such a great post. I like the whole thing, but I especially agree with this part. LFC is thinking long-term and looking to exploit market inefficiencies -- rather than succumb to them -- and it's exactly the right thing to do. It just might not be that fun at times this year for fans. (Personally, I think it will be exciting, if frustrating at times.)

as an everton fan - really happy with the summer signings...
You should be. Looks like a very well thought out series of moves.

Jimrpg

This is such a great post. I like the whole thing, but I especially agree with this part. LFC is thinking long-term and looking to exploit market inefficiencies -- rather than succumb to them -- and it's exactly the right thing to do. It just might not be that fun at times this year for fans. (Personally, I think it will be exciting, if frustrating at times.)

You should be. Looks like a very well thought out series of moves.

LFC did everything right in the transfer window but bring in a striker...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom