• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2012/13 |OT3| Two-sided triangles

Status
Not open for further replies.

qindarka

Banned
Hey 45 goals (9, 13, 23) over the last three seasons is not worth Charlie Adams money

He isn't or at least wasn't an out an out striker. Neither does he take penalties. I think his goalscoring record is a lot more impressive than you are giving him credit for.

Salazar

Hey 45 goals (9, 13, 23) over the last three seasons is not worth Charlie Adams money

Well, the conspiracy angle does appeal, you know. Fulham doing everything in their power to dick Liverpool, just like the rest of the world.

He isn't or at least wasn't an out an out striker. Neither does he take penalties. I think his goalscoring record is a lot more impressive than you are giving him credit for.

Sarcasm.

GorillaJu

Jesus would you calm down? We had a budget and we spent it all. We only had a few million left and bid that for Dempsey and it wasn't enough. Under no circumstances (except yours) would it be considered an attempt to offend or insult Dempsey. Had he been a younger player that represented a more sound long term investment, the owners would have dipped into their own money to finance it but for a 29 year old they felt it wasn't justified.

Charlie was in the first year of a 4 year contract and is only 26 – the fact that he went for only 2/3 the price of a 29 year old in his final contract year is enough to demonstrate what we all see, that Dempsey is a much better player than Charlie Adam. We wantde Dempsey but by the time Fulham Dealt with us we couldn't afford him. Spurs outbid us and now he's going to play for a team in a similar style and get as much playtime as he would for LFC. Just drop the offended American act.

Salazar

W5Im3.gif

elsk

Banned
What a shame Wilson Palacios couldn't join Fulham :( with Ruiz, Palacios and Berba I would actually enjoyed watching them play.

pulga

Banned
What a shame Wilson Palacios couldn't join Fulham :( with Ruiz, Palacios and Berba I would actually enjoyed watching them play.
:( we have so many unemployed players, not to mention all those playing in team reserves. 2014 dream seems impossible to me.

elsk

Banned
:( we have so many unemployed players, not to mention all those playing in team reserves. 2014 dream seems impossible to me.

They just don't give a fuck anymore. They went to a WC and that was their only goal. Look at Hendry Thomas he preferred to join Colorado Rapids than Rayo Vallecano because they don't want to fight for a starting place.

Maynor Figueroa is the only one who is a true professional.

So we get Carroll's wages off the books supposedly to free up funds for a more reliable and fitting striker, and we end up with absolutely fuck all because we left it too late to put our contingency plans into motion. I'm pretty satisfied with our summer so far, but that's genine inexcusable incompetence. lolerpool indeed

Salazar

lol Dempsey went to Tottenham?

How the fuck did that happen

Couldn't stay at Fulham. Liverpool (where Dempsey really wanted to go) didn't meet Fulham's valuation. Spurs did.

And Spurs were a better option than the other club with an accepted bid, Villa.

dc89

JskH5.png

What have I done.

Totally forgot I had Sinclair in my team, I've used my free transfer on getting Torres out because Chelsea don't play this week!

GAHHHHHHHH!!!

pappe

Dat training ground

What have I done.

Totally forgot I had Sinclair in my team, I've used my free transfer on getting Torres out because Chelsea don't play this week!

GAHHHHHHHH!!!

Sinclair would be great at City and he has a chance to start regularly as well if you play 4-2-3-1.

According to Ben Smith, "Brendan Rodgers only realised his £20m summer transfer budget included wages, very late on".

The front page of O Jogo says we missed out on Moutinho by 4 minutes...

xbhaskarx

At least the defensive Liverpool fans didn't respond with YouTube links to a handful of Stuart Downing highlights (if a non defensive player with 0 goals 0 assists can have such a thing) this time....

Sorry but I don't know how to lay on the sarcasm any thicker than that...

Suarez
Borini
Yesil
Morgan

Th latter two have what, 90 minutes of first team football between them? There's no excuse for deadline day passing with them as your options. No excuse for that. One step forward in the middle, two steps back up front. And we were already woeful there

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
Parker just two weeks away from returning according to AVB. International break is coming at a good time. Even without Moutinho, Dembele, Sandro, Parker, Huddlestone, Livermore and Jenas should see us through to January. If AVB is still here and we are in a good league position, hopefully Levy gets a big player unlike the last 2 seasons.

The front page of O Jogo says we missed out on Moutinho by 4 minutes...

Almost certainly bollocks. If it was a question of 4 minutes we would have signed him, no way the authorities wouldn't have allowed us to complete the deal. In the end the agent fee, part-ownership issue, sell-on clause to Sporting, etc just became too much.

GorillaJu

If AVB is still here and we are in a good league position, hopefully Levy gets a big player unlike the last 2 seasons.

Spurs seem like they're looking at a long term project and wouldn't require immediate success, so long as the right signs are being seen. I don't see Villas Boas getting the sack except in the very worst case scenario, where the dressing room completely turns on him again.

Ushojax

Spurs seem like they're looking at a long term project and wouldn't require immediate success, so long as the right signs are being seen. I don't see Villas Boas getting the sack except in the very worst case scenario, where the dressing room completely turns on him again.

If he goes it will be due to results not dressing room trouble. Spurs simply don't have players who behave like that, we have a quiet (too quiet really) bunch of modest lads. If we don't finish 5th or higher, AVB will be gone unless we miss out by only a point or two.

Arnie

AVB shouldn't be anywhere near the sack with the players he's currently got.

Regarding our striker situation, it's fucking disastrous.

There. Resubbed to my football channel (Sport1) again so I can watch foreign leagues again. Started missing the Premier League a bit too much and I need my weekly Barca/Real dose. 15 euro for 5 or so leagues isn't that bad I guess!

Eredivisie just isn't enough quality :(
Do you still follow the Eredivisie? Of course, the PL or La Liga are much better quality wise, but home is where the heart is.

Salazar

Carlton Cole and Big Andy are going to have to sort out their communication if they play together. Could get dangerous having two lumps charge at the same lofted ball.

Ushojax

Carlton Cole and Big Andy are going to have to sort out their communication if they play together. Could get dangerous having two lumps charge at the same lofted ball.

Surely they won't. Carroll is a bit of a donkey but Cole is a whole other level of shiteness. He is completely useless, whereas Carroll can at least put himself about a bit.

elseanio

I'm a bit disappointed that after letting go Carroll, we only had a budget of 3m and 2 targets. We supposedly have a full team of people deciding on transfers and they only came up with 2 names? It was a shame to see Ayre leaving the office at 8:30 too, in comparison to the Spurs staff still trying to make a deal at half past midnight.

We either need someone to work alongside Ayre, or replace him altogether.

Ushojax

Lennon signs a new contract till 2016. Excellent news, if he stays injury free I know he can move up a level. He was great during the run-in last season and he seems to get on better with AVB than Harry.

It'll be one or the other, I'm betting. Can't see them starting together. I'd hazard a guess as to our starting 11 looking something like;

-----------Jaaskaleinen--------------
Demel - Reid - Collins - McCartney
---------------Diame-----------------
-------Nolan----------Diarra---------
---Vaz Te-----------------Jarvis-----
---------------Carroll-----------------

Subs; Henderson, Tomkins, O'Brien, Taylor, Noble, Maiga, Cole

Not sure if he'll start with Carroll, or if Yossi will jump straight into the squad. Also, we've got so many mid-fielders, and I can't help but feel Noble and Collison will be rather marginalised this season.

Ushojax said:
Surely they won't. Carroll is a bit of a donkey but Cole is a whole other level of shiteness. He is completely useless, whereas Carroll can at least put himself about a bit.

That's a bit harsh - Carlton is an incredibly frustrating player to watch, and he's never been more than a 10-goals-a-season striker, but he does have the skill, the pace and the strength. He's wonderful at holding up the ball, and has a great first touch on occasion. The trouble comes whenever he has to use his brain. If he ever has to think about a shot for more than a split-second, he'll fuck it up. Realistically, he's not a Premiership quality player, but I'm still a fan of the man due to the fact that he took a 50% wage cut when we dropped down to the Championship. Meanwhile, piece of shit Freddy Piquionne is content to play with the reserves and the kids, 'earning' the 30k a week our former idiot manager Avram Grant insisted he was worth.

Salazar

I think Viva actually might be right about Welberg starting wide.

Frogson is unlikely to feel like he owes Nani any favours, and "he'll be in the squad" doesn't exactly sell him as a starter.

dc89

Duncan Castles reports that Javi Garcia has a clause in his contract which entitles Benfica to 50% of any fee if City sell him.

Wow.

blazeuk

as an everton fan - really happy with the summer signings.

Think we've had some good signings too, strengthened the first team and added a bit more depth to the squad. A better RB would have been good, but probably not the big priority this year over some other areas, it's not a particularly easy position to fill either (Neville/Hibbert will do the job ok even if they will probably be the weakest area in the team). Glad we've finally got some competition for LB too, will also give us an opportunity to rest Baines when needed.

It's the first deadline day which I wasn't too worried about. Getting some cover and not losing anyone was the main thing which we've done.

GorillaJu

Javi Garcia is just about to hit his prime as a footballer. City will keep him as a first teamer for a few years and then when they sign someone better he can play as back up for a year and then get moved on. At that point he'll be 29 or 30 and his selling price won't be very high, probably 5 or 6 million.

It's really not harsh at all.

Why are the Americanos so pissed Liverpool didn't bid enough for Don't Tread? It's not like they did it out of spite :lol

He got his move in the end anyway and arguably to a club in a better position to get into the CL right now.

I'm sure he's cool with it.

GorillaJu

Why are the Americanos so pissed Liverpool didn't bid enough for Don't Tread? It's not like they did it out of spite :lol

He got his move in the end anyway and arguable to a club in a better position to get into the CL right now.

I'm sure he's cool with it.

I don't know. I'm American AND a Liverpool fan and I see it as a lost opportunity but not the end of the world. I can't quite work out what is so offensive. People just really hate Charlie Adam ... or something?

Dempsey would have been a very good shirt seller for the American market. Don't think he would improve the Liverpool team vastly though they much needed an out and out striker

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom