• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2012/13 |OT3| Two-sided triangles

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slizz

Theres a College American football game being played at the Aviva stadium in Dublin.

Its Notre Dame vs. Navy. I only live 15 minutes down the road from the stadium and I'm pretty sure I can hear the cheerleaders.

Awesome man. I'd go down and check it out. It's probably pretty cool, see some Americans act like complete drunk buffoons.

Also Notre Dame's cleats for the game are hot as fuck.

notre-dame-irish-flag-cleat-530x341.jpg

Arnie

Woke up from a nap to find that West Ham are three nil up, and the commentator's jizzing over Carroll's involvement. Fuck me.

Awesome, young Robert Hall getting a good 10 minutes - he was impressive against Crewe. Hope Carroll's injury isn't too serious.

*edit, Carroll apparently not too badly inured, was only brought off as a precaution.

Woke up from a nap to find that West Ham are three nil up, and the commentator's jizzing over Carroll's involvement. Fuck me.

He won pretty much everything in the air and Fulham just looked totally intimidated by him every time he got forward.

Weidenfeller - Piszczek, Subotic, Hummels, Schmelzer - Gündogan, Kehl - Blaszczykowski, Reus, Perisic - Lewandowski

Oh yeah. Just missing Götze magic, although I'm not sure where he'd even play lol

Arnie

He won pretty much everything in the air and Fulham just looked totally intimidated by him every time he got forward.

Aye, he's an absolute beast in the air. Won the most aerial duels last season.

Glad he's playing well though, at least his stock's rising.

Wilbur

Banned
Weidenfeller - Piszczek, Subotic, Hummels, Schmelzer - Gündogan, Kehl - Blaszczykowski, Reus, Perisic - Lewandowski

Oh yeah. Just missing Götze magic, although I'm not sure where he'd even play lol

Great team, although I suppose he'd take Perisic's place?

Is Bender injured?

Clegg

Awesome man. I'd go down and check it out. It's probably pretty cool, see some Americans act like complete drunk buffoons.

Also Notre Dame's cleats for the game are hot as fuck.

The game is a sellout. No chance of getting tickets.

Will watch on TV though.

Frogson said "Nani will be in the squad" - doesn't sound like a starter.

Evans will start.

--------------------------DDG
-----------------Raf-Evans-Vida-Evra/Buttner
-------------------ClevGod-Carrick
--------Valencia----------------------Welberg
--------------------------Shinji
---------------------------RVP

I like it. So long as Shinji's message of passing the ball into his feet nice and sharp got through, rather than dithering on the ball and going the - by-now irresponsibly predictable - route of sliding it out wide and stabbing the idea of penetration in the eye again and again like a zombified version of Trotsky, then all is good and fine.

Benching Nani is the right kind of man-management. He needs to wake up and graft for consistency beyond the statistics book. Already passed 25 and, given his boundless talent, he knows that he's underachieved; the window to the greatness he's capable of is shrinking.

Great team, although I suppose he'd take Perisic's place?

Is Bender injured?
Perisic looked pretty good so far, but as hard as it is, Götze in his best shape will get Perisic or Kuba benched. Maybe Reus when he's tired.

Yeah, he should be back after the international break, though.

Zabojnik

Anyone here watch Colbert or Jon Stewart?

Doesn't everybody?

colberthorse2.gif

After alllll those names............... Bendtner in the end....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4BVI5rN6bfs

Supposedly Llorente is coming in January.................Scudetto is still in the bag though......

Nah, Chelsea or some other $$$ club will offer him a hilarious salary and he'll sign with them. He's already out of our reach, just like Jovetić. Don't worry though. Marotta's contract expires in 2013. Hope.

WELCOME TO HELL

Don't really know who plays for Galatasaray nowadays apart from the unstoppable Eboue

Are you serious?

07-melo.jpg

Slizz

Some nice saves there.

Can I ask the Americans here what tailgating is?

Get to the sporting event very early, like 3 hours before it starts. Set up a grill, make food, drink beer, listen to music, chill with friends then head in to watch the game after.

Vaz Te's been great today in everything but finishing, good stuff. Noble & Diame are looking like a class midfield pairing, and Reid's been solid at the back too.

Great saves from Jussi!

Can I ask the Americans here what tailgating is?

I think it's just like a big piss-up & BBQ in the car-park before and after the game.

Clegg

Still might be worth it for the tailgating that will be done before. Plus hot female American Catholic college students.

I'm actually going out this evening. Lots of pubs around the stadium where the game is being played. Will probably be full of Americans.

Omikron

2 wins out of 3, taking that every time.

Fingers cross Carroll just has tightness in his hamstring like it was being reported late on.

Second half was largely pointless. West Ham broke Fulham in the first half.

dc89

Balotelli could be out for one month! Apparently he's having eye surgery! Must be for that infection he had a few weeks back.

Dzeko will still be on the bench.

Arnie

Get to the sporting event very early, like 3 hours before it starts. Set up a grill, make food, drink beer, listen to music, chill with friends then head in to watch the game after.

I think it's just like a big piss-up & BBQ in the car-park before and after the game.

I think its a big party/bbq that they have before going to an American Football game.
So it serves the purpose of a pub? A pre-match drinking point. Except they have food?

Sweet, I'm sure that's pretty decent.

faridmon

Everton Team against West Brom

Everton (4-4-1-1): Howard; Neville, Jagielka, Distin, Baines; Naismith, Osman, Gibson, Pienaar; Fellaini; Jelavic.
Subs: Mucha, Hibbert, Heitinga, Mirallas, Gueye, Coleman, Anichebe.

Both Neville and Hibbert fit. No Coleman at RB.

Clegg

So it serves the purpose of a pub? A pre-match drinking point. Except they have food?

Heres a pic of the tailgate party thats going on in Dublin right now. Note the inflatable goalposts are actually used for when rugby matches are being held at the Aviva stadium.

sixghost

Most people drive to American Football matches, so the stadiums are surrounded by absolutely nothing but parking lots. You can't exactly meet up at a bar then walk over to the stadium at game time.

Hoplatee

Do you still follow the Eredivisie? Of course, the PL or La Liga are much better quality wise, but home is where the heart is.

Kinda late to reply but of course. I enjoy it way more than any other league but it just isn't all that good anymore and I don't think it will get better. I predict that the gap between the the top 4/5 vs the rest will be so big in a few years. Now everyone can 'still win from everyone' which makes it one of the most fun leagues around (really!) but eh... just can't get myself excited anymore for matches like VVV - PEC Zwolle etc. Just look at Ajax winning with 5 -0 versus teams like NEC or Twente chrushing Groningen. Decline is already there. :p

Premier League is great fun to watch as neutral supporter. Though my sympathy goes to Swansea for some reason I can not explain but I would not even consider myself a fan.

bud23

Balotelli could be out for one month! Apparently he's having eye surgery! Must be for that infection he had a few weeks back.
Manchester City forward Mario Balotelli will miss up to four weeks as he is set to undergo eye surgery to correct his myopia on Tuesday.

Roberto Mancini said earlier in the week
"Mario is not ready to return to the pitch yet. He no longer seems to tolerate contact lenses. He’s feeling alright now, but the problem can return at any time."

Clegg

College football game selling out in Ireland ?

Love this time of year. So much sport on TV.

Notre Dame and Navy have brought a lot of fans with them from America. But there is still a decent amount of Irish people going to the game too.

The match itself is a 50,000 sellout.

Slizz

Notre Dame and Navy have brought a lot of fans with them from America. But there is still a decent amount of Irish people going to the game too.

The match itself is a 50,000 sellout.

Wanna hear something crazy? A college football game played in Michigan last year had a record setting attendance of 114,804. It was the first night game played at the stadium in the 84 years the football program has been around.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom