• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2012/13 |OT3| Two-sided triangles

Status
Not open for further replies.
i fucking hate those games on sundays :(

what i even more hate is the fact that we will have another two weeks break. for fucks sake. who cares about internationals.

blatter_1842847c.jpg

Seriously? If that was Kermit, he's pretty good at putting on an entirely different personality. Didn't act at all like Kermit did and I'm not just talking about starting spats and arguments, but in general. Also, day-time in Aus/Japan is usually where Kermit came on to do his most heinous work, and Roland has been pretty absent in those hours.

Well, I understand banning him, but lol who here suggested he was Kermit? MODS prolly saw a red light on that and checked it out.

Roland was way different than the "kermit" who posted here before.

His posts reminded me of Kermit a lot. I don't know how you guys didn't see it.

GorillaJu

Also Bill Shankly's birthday.

Too bad since according to the Walrus Liverpool can't score goals and as soon as a team comes out of their own half Arsenal is going to show the league how to play football.

We're going to get trashed by the almighty Arse on the birthday of a club legend.

Such a shame.

Looks like CSKA is getting Moussa Sow from Fener for 12 million. Damn, they finally realized they're no Barca and can't get through a season without a striker. Looks like that shock Europa League elimination scared them straight.

Thankfully they have the unfortunately named Slutsky still leading them so I'm not worried.

FootballFan

They got Samedov from Dinamo Moscow who was last season's russian league leader in assists and chances created and a goalie from PAOK.

Oh man, my dad says Loskov was a huge beast in the mid to late 90s, lol.

:eek: nice.

You're dad is right lol, he seems to have had a great career, loads of goals and appearances according to wiki. His fifa stats are pretty damn good for a 38year old too. :lol

edit
Wow watch this youtube vid, freekick compilation, he scores with both feet..lol

bud23

12:30 Man City - QPR
14:30 Liverpool - Arsenal
14:30 PSV - AZ
16:30 Heerenveen - Ajax
20:00 Barcelona - Valencia
22:00 Real Madrid - Granada

My to-do list for today :p

Just point that Real Madrid plays at 20 pm and Barcelona at 21:30 pm.

20:00 Real Madrid - Granada
21:30 Barcelona - Valencia

Arnie

Fucking hell I'm dying here. Led in bed and my head feels like I've gone 8 rounds with George Ellokobi. Went out for a mates 21st after having only eaten a solitary steak all day, and then I was juggling beer, champagne, and cocktails from 7pm.

I have got dr who and match of the day on tape though, so at least I can be entertained in my misery.

Zabojnik

Six hours to Udinese - Juve! Excitment rising. Hope the weather holds.

Two things: 1) I hope we show up in better form than against Parma, where be only put the pedal to the metal for like 10 minutes in the second half. It turned out to be enough, but we can't afford to play like that. Not without a top stri... eh, nevermind. 2) I hope Udinese show up with the same form of their last three matches, where they went out of gas after a mere 60 minutes. I'm not really expecting that to happen though, since for some reason, when they're up against Juve, every team goes into "game of life" mode.

Also, if they're not 100% ready yet, I wouldn't risk Buffon, Chiellini and Giovinco.

Liverpool fans should be confident ahead of today's match - they are unlucky not to have 6 points in the bag already. Arsenal on the other hand haven't found any tempo or flow, and it wouldn't surprise me at all if we were to become perplexed by the ball in the final third let alone score. I give us about 30% chance of winning today.

:eek: nice.

You're dad is right lol, he seems to have had a great career, loads of goals and appearances according to wiki. His fifa stats are pretty damn good for a 38year old too. :lol

edit
Wow watch this youtube vid, freekick compilation, he scores with both feet..lol

This just reminded me of how good that early 2000s Loko team was. Loskov, Evseev, Khokhlov, young Bilya and Izmailov. Shame they couldn't do much in Europe.

Edit: It's disgusting how bad Bilyaletdinov has become now. He was by far the worst player in the Spartak-Fenerbahce Champion's League playoff matches. He looked so promising as a youngster too. I choose to blame Everton.

Salazar

Liverpool fans should be confident ahead of today's match - they are unlucky not to have 6 points in the bag already. Arsenal on the other hand haven't found any tempo or flow, and it wouldn't surprise me at all if we were to become perplexed by the ball in the final third let alone score. I give us about 30% chance of winning today.

Any lineup preferences/fears/ambivalences ?

GorillaJu

Nothing really unlucky about the WBA result. 1-0 could have been down to bad luck, 3-0 is a capitulation.

Either way I am confident that the Anfield roar will carry the team to a good performance, today. It should be fun to watch – I think Arsenal will be up for it more than before, too.

Just need Skrtel not to pass to Podolski.

i4uluJ5CaruK6.jpeg

Mastadon

Banned

Form tends to go out the window when it comes to games between bigger teams. Fully expect you to give us a good game today. I think we can win, but a draw wouldn't surprise me.

FootballFan

This just reminded me of how good that early 2000s Loko team was. Loskov, Evseev, Khokhlov, young Bilya and Izmailov. Shame they couldn't do much in Europe.

I only recognise 3 of those names :( lol. Assuming Bilya is Bilyanetniyov(spelling may be a bit off, the Everton guy)

Choc

Banned
its a pretty dumb time for internationals to occur

3 weeks into a season, 1 week after transfer window. Ridiculous.

If it has to happen this early it should be before the transfer window closes in case players get injured

but you know, its to logical for the fucking morons that run FIFA

and sadly i work as part of their organization as a referee

Any lineup preferences/fears/ambivalences ?

We don't have the luxury of having a preference - the team right now picks itself because of injuries. I don't want to see Walcott today though, for several reasons. Giroud has impressed me however. The guy will score goals, I'm confident of that.

I only recognise 3 of those names :( lol. Assuming Bilya is Bilyanetniyov(spelling may be a bit off, the Everton guy)

I can't blame you. I mean Russian players rarely leave Russia and people outside of Russia cared even less about the league back then than they do now. At least now people might recognize some names from Fifa!

And yeah I did mean the former Everton guy, even in Russian his name is too long and awkward.

Yesterday we had 10 out of 11 Italian players in our starting XI. :O

Good result after all, Bologna has a couple of really, really good players (especially Diamanti), I can see other teams struggling at the Dall'Ara. We still have a lot of issues: our defenders need somebody to tell them how to move around the pitch and coordinate them (this was Nesta role last year, after Maldini said goodbye) and fast, otherwise facing Juve, Inter, Roma and Napoli will be painful; our midfield need to get in shape (Nocerino in particular was awful last night, Montolivo showed once more that he need a couple of more weeks at least to understand Allegri's tactics) and our strikers need to wake up. Except for Pazzini, who may become our next Tomasson by scoring awful looking goals (yet important), El Shaarawy really need to decide his role, Bojan need to get back in shape and Boateng has to become much more deadly in front of the goal (yes, he's a AMC, but he knows how to shoot and how to score. We need him to be more precise, that's it).

The most important thing is to build up a proper defensive line, Tassotti must work with our players as much as possible, he was one of the people who made the scudetto year possible, defensive-wise. As for the rest of the team, the only thing they have to do is play and stack up minutes.

Also, I love how a week ago Milan was definitely going to Serie B at the end of the year, while now we're either going to win the scudetto or end 2nd, according to the same journalist.

I wonder how a player motivates himself if he's fallen out of love with the game. If I was a player for my club, possibly even the best player in the world, I'd want a very short contract - I'm talking week to week contract. I'm always surprised to see players stay on doing coaching roles or want to take up a faux 'Ambassador' position (the fuck does Vieira do anyway?). Jeez, do you not have a personality? Any life goals? Any interests or hobbies? It's kind of pathetic

GorillaJu

I wonder how a player motivates himself if he's fallen out of love with the game. If I was a player for my club, possibly even the best player in the world, I'd want a very short contract - I'm talking week to week contract. I'm always surprised to see players stay on doing coaching roles or want to take up a faux 'Ambassador' position (the fuck does Vieira do anyway?). Jeez, do you not have a personality? Any life goals? Any interests or hobbies? It's kind of pathetic

Same way any multi-millionaire motivates themselves for a job they dont really enjoy doing. Enjoy the money.

dc89

He's City's Football Development Executive. If you follow him on Twitter he sometimes says he's taking part in training sessions with various age groups.

Yen

Saw this on RAWK:

In 1967, we arrived at Anfield to play Liverpool and as I glanced out of the window of the coach I saw Bill Shankly standing at the main entrance. I was the first player to alight from the coach and when I reached the entrance Bill shook my hand warmly. 'Good to see you again, George,' he said. 'You're looking well, son.'

This was unusual for him, and knowing Shanks to be a wily old fox, I decided to hang around to try to find out what he was up to. As each of the United players entered Anfield, Shanks shook his hand, welcomed him and told him how good he looked. Eventually, Bobby Charlton, a born worrier, came up to Shanks.

'Bobby, son. Good to see you,' Shanks said, shaking his hand. 'But by God, if ever there was a man who looked ill, it's you, Bobby!'

Bobby's face went as colourless as an icicle. 'Ill? I look ill?' he repeated, running the fingers of his right hand over his forehead and down his right cheek. He was visibly shaken,

'Aye, Bobby, son. You look like you're sickening for something. If I were you I'd see a doctor as soon as you set foot back in Manchester.' Shanks patted Bobby on the back and took off down the corridor, leaving him trembling in the foyer.

In the dressing room, Bobby was conspicious by his absence and, ominously, there was a delay in announcing the team. We sat around kicking our heels, no one daring to get changed in case Matt Busby had a tactical plan which meant leaving one of us out. The thought of getting changed only to be told to put your clothes back on because you're not in the team is a player's nightmare.

Eventually Matt Busby entered the dressing room with Jimmy Murphy and told us they had reshuffled the team which had beaten West Ham the previous week. Bobby Charlton was unavailable. He'd suddenly been taken ill.

He's City's Football Development Executive. If you follow him on Twitter he sometimes says he's taking part in training sessions with various age groups.

Sounds like "I just wanted to find some easy money", because he probably earns a bit more than the youth coaches there

Salazar

Was Law who was always the sickly lad, wasn't it.

Opta Sports ‏@OptaJoe
19% - Only Arsenal (19%) have a lower shooting accuracy than Liverpool in the Premier League this season (24%). Duck.

I think a few clubs wouldn't mind Vieira as part of the work force. Don't hate on Vieira, he's a legend.

City fans consider Vieira a legend? That seems odd. I wonder if he'd be at City in his new role were his wages more aligned to those with similar responsibilities. In this stage of his life, I'd had hoped he'd be more motivated by a cause rather than money. Then again I'm saying this on the sole presumption he is earning a fat salary for doing horse shit

dc89

I think that's where most peoples' issue with his City employment is.

He IS a legend, just not for you guys.

An Arsenal one, yeah.

And if Vieira want's to develop his career off the field would he go do that at Arsenal, or a club who are actually showing a massive ambition on and off the field.

If he wants to get into coaching youths wouldn't he want to be at City ready for the Etihad Campus?

City fans consider Vieira a legend? That seems odd

Zidane is a legend. Can I consider him a legend because I'm a City fan? Nahhh, of course not.

Yen

And if Vieira want's to develop his career off the field would he go do that at Arsenal, or a club who are actually showing a massive ambition on and off the field.

If he wants to get into coaching youths wouldn't he want to be at City ready for the Etihad Campus?

Zidane is a legend. Can I consider him a legend? Nahhh, of course not.

I would rather be at Arsenal, as they have attack record of bringing people to the first team and a chance to play.

Stubo

Zidane is a legend. Can I consider him a legend? Nahhh, of course not.
Considering Arsenal's continued supply of young players he'd have more than enough talent to prepare. The City youths are rarely getting a look at the moment with new arrivals still coming year after year.

Long term I'd agree that your youth project is the more ambitious of the two, but it still doesn't really explain any footballing reason why he'd pick City over the club he enjoyed his playing success with.

Other reasons would dictate such a career move, of course...we're all susceptible to a nice big pile of cash monies :p

kharma45

I would rather be at Arsenal, as they have attack record of bringing people to the first team and a chance to play.

Yep. Having the best facilities doesn't mean you're gonna have the best youth set-up, if I was a young player the money at City would put me off as now you're more likely to just go out and buy a player than develop one (and yes I know United's team today will only likely have one player we trained from scratch in Jonny Evans).

Top facilities, aye nice to have but doesn't mean people will want to come if it looks like there is no progress being made through the ranks.

Article from Johnathan Northcroft of the Sunday Times on Liverpool and deadline day. Interesting read.

Sunday Times - Full Report by Jonathan Northcroft | Re: NURI SAHIN for £11m, Theo Walcott, and expectations for Rodgers.

LIVERPOOL have moved to mollify Brendan Rodgers after the manager was angered by his club’s failure to sign Clint Dempsey on transfer deadline day.

Fenway Sports Group (FSG), the club's owners, are willing to address Rodgers’ strong desire to sign a forward in the January transfer window with Theo Walcott a possible target. FSG have also reassured Rodgers that the imbalance in his squad left by Liverpool’s summer dealings – he now has just two senior strikers – will be taken into account when this season’s performance is reviewed. They see the problem as a short-term one and maintain that the goal set for Rodgers is a longer term one: delivering Champions League football by 2015.

The owners are fixing transfer policy accordingly. A move for Dempsey on Friday was abandoned after Fulham accepted an offer of £4m plus add-ons from Aston Villa for the American striker but refused to deal with Liverpool on similar terms. They then quoted Spurs a price of £8m before allowing Dempsey to move to Tottenham for £6m. FSG’s reluctance to bid higher for Dempsey was down to his age – 29. They are prepared to make much higher sums available for younger players and a £15m permanent deal for Daniel Sturridge was lined up on Friday but Rodgers’ preference was to take the Chelsea striker on loan.

Though the failure to sign Dempsey agitated Rodgers, the manager will be placated by the promise of being backed generously in future transfer windows including a bid for Walcott, a player he has long admired. Arsenal blocked Walcott leaving for Manchester City last week but cannot count on extending the attacker’s contract. Walcott has been offered £80,000 per week but, given that Arsenal use him heavily in commercial campaigns, he wants added image rights payments. Come January, Walcott will have just a few months left to run on his present deal and his enthusiasm for staying at Arsenal may be further tested this afternoon with Arsene Wenger planning to drop him for the match at Liverpool.

At 23, Walcott fits the profile of players FSG want to acquire. Despite talk of budget restraints, Liverpool spent £25m (when add-ons are included) on Joe Allen, 22, and Fabio Borini, 21 in summer and more would have been available had buyers been found for Carroll, Jordan Henderson and Stuart Downing.

The trio, and Charlie Adam, who was sold to Stoke for £4m, were bought during a £110m spree by Kenny Dalglish and former director of football, Damien Comolli. Not repeating the mistakes of Comolli and Dalglish - who rushed into paying £35m for Carroll on deadline day in January 2012 - influenced FSG’s decision not to enter an auction for Dempsey simply to address an immediate need.

There is sympathy that this has left Rodgers with only Luis Suarez and Fabio Borini as forwards but confidence that this can be corrected in January – not least because the terms of Carroll’s loan to West Ham would allow Liverpool to recall the striker then. FSG also believe it important to keep funds back to offer the option of making Nuri Sahin’s signing permanent. Acquiring Sahin on loan from Real Madrid – ahead of Arsenal – was a major coup and Liverpool can buy the former Bundesliga player of the year for around £11m should his loan spell go well.

Ian Ayre, Liverpool’s chief executive, has borne the brunt of supporters’ fury about deadline day but his position is not threatened, despite renewed speculation about his future following reports in Australia that Gillon McLachlan, chief operating officer of the Australian Football League, had turned down the chance to replace Ayre earlier this year.

dc89

Considering Arsenal's continued supply of young players he'd have more than enough talent to prepare. The City youths are rarely getting a look at the moment with new arrivals still coming year after year.

Long term I'd agree that your youth project is the more ambitious of the two, but it still doesn't really explain any footballing reason why he'd pick City over the club he enjoyed his playing success with.

Other reasons would dictate such a career move, of course...we're all susceptible to a nice big pile of cash monies :p

It's the most ambitious project in the English game.

Some of you guys get really upset over the fact Vieira is with City in a non-playing role. It's not your money paying his wages (what ever they may be) so don't get so upset over it. And as for the future youths of City not getting a chance, don't bank on that. Sustainability is the buzz word at City at the moment, they are extremely interested in having a massive home grown quota in the years to come.

Considering our current academy setup has just been granted rank 1 status (and it's one of the first) I think we'll see players come through. Unless we let them leave on free transfers to Juventus or something equally as silly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom