• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2012/13 |OT3| Two-sided triangles

Status
Not open for further replies.

PJX

No, we definitely should have let Carroll go. We should just have replaced him like Rodger's wanted.

But as a manger shouldn't you actually have a replacement available before sending out your only out and out striker? I mean make sure the deal is actually done.

Also the formation is wrong, Suarez should play out wide which I think eh is more comfortable with and Borini comes in the middle.

Wilbur

Banned
This from someone on the Guardian liveblog made me laugh. Bit unfair, but still funny:

"It's 1986 and Manchester United were a faded giant, they hadn't won the league for over 20 years and they were regularly deluding themselves that the odd cup run was sufficient in asserting their status as a 'big club'. They were over reliant on an, often injured, central midfielder who was England captain, and a temperamental, skilful centre forward who often struggled for goals. To arrest that slide they appointed a man who had successfully broken up the old firm duopoly and improbably taken a small provincial team to League and European glory, a man who then went on to prove his management genius.

"It's 2012 and Liverpool have Brendan Rodgers, who was sacked by Reading. Good luck with that."

Lightning

Banned
In my opinion Rodgers has a lot to prove that he is ready for a big club like Liverpool where finishing mid table is not good enough. I've seen nothing so far that he is up to the task.

Results matter Rodgers.

flyover

Clearly we needed more energy in the middle and with Gerrard awful he could've moved him wide right and stuck Henderson and Shelvey on in the middle to give energy.
I think this would make a lot of sense, at least while Lucas is out. I'd rather have Gerrard in the front three than the mid three right now. Start most games with Allen and any two of Sahin/Shelvey/Henderson, as Sahin integrates and becomes match-fit.

ATF487

Can't believe Gerrard wasn't subbed off today.

I don't want to be entirely negative, since there were some decent parts about the team's play today. Shelvey looked good when he came on (I like him since no one else on the team likes a shot from distance), Sterling worked his ass off and Joe Allen looks almost like a bargain at 15m, something I didn't think I'd be saying a few weeks ago.

But it's going to be a similar season to last year. Some nice football without the results to show it.

Enrique? WTF? completely shut down their right side today, absolutely no idea why you would single him out.

Does absolutely nothing in attack. Wasn't so much a case of him shutting down their right hand side as Chamberlain failing to boot up. Slows down every single attack he's involved with due his obsession for spinning on the ball, takes about 5 seconds to pick out a pass, goes for spectacular goals which will never, ever come off, crosses like Bebe, randomly swinging his foot at the ball in the vague hope that it will connect properly.

He didn't cost us the game today, but he didn't help much imo

bud

In my opinion Rodgers has a lot to prove that he is ready for a big club like Liverpool where finishing mid table is not good enough. I've seen nothing so far that he is up to the task.

Results matter Rodgers.

liverpool have been shit for years now. it's unfair to immediately expect results.

he deserves at least two seasons before they can fire him.

you don't just let a team like liverpool play football within a couple of weeks when they've gotten used to doing the complete opposite for quite a few years.

Lightning

Banned
Bould has been such a great influence. I noticed Podolski did some great defensive work as well.
As long as Bould doesn't hamper our attacking play. I don't want our players to go into their shell or play to cautiously. We won't score enough goals if we do that.

liverpool have been shit for years now. it's unfair to immediately expect results.

2 seasons? Liverpool honestly dont look any better this season than last season. They haven't got a prayer in making the top 4 unless something dramatically changes but at the moment they look very average making very average decisions.

A striker situation should have been sorted at the start of the season as it hampered them last season so everyone knew about it and Rodgers is not defensively disciplined which is shocking for Liverpool. Not defensively disciplined with a attack as shitty as theirs is a recipe for finishing outside the top 6 which is not good enough.

Wilbur

Banned
Fergie confirms DDG dropped because of the own goal last week. Sigh. That was Vidic's fault I thought.

Di Matteo was sacked by West Brom. Won FA Cup and CL with Chelsea and secured a contract with the Devil.

B-Rod needs to have a meeting with the Devil.

Di Matteo is the luckiest fucking manager of all time

GorillaJu

Does absolutely nothing in attack. Wasn't so much a case of him shutting down their right hand side as Chamberlain failing to boot up. Slows down every single attack he's involved with due his obsession for spinning on the ball, takes about 5 seconds to pick out a pass, goes for spectacular goals which will never, ever come off, crosses like Bebe, randomly swinging his foot at the ball in the vague hope that it will connect properly.

He didn't cost us the game today, but he didn't help much imo

Our attack doesn't look like they believe they can score any goals. It needs work, badly, but we had plenty of possession, some good passing, and promising sign from the youngsters. Not ready to start placing blame on anyone - in the end the result today means very little.

He doesn't necessarily deserve more than a few months. Not that I think he should be fired but if there's warning signs that the club isn't going anywhere or getting better, you fire the manger before he fucks it up completely.

sohois

i would have liked Carroll to stay at Liverpool but I don't thin having him today would have helped Liverpool's cause at all. I wonder what happened to Assaidi, injured one would presume.

Couple of other thoughts:

-People saying things like "Allen, Stirling Shelvey, only players deserving of the shirt,etc." think they're being a bit harsh on the back 4 who did their jobs, not much they could about the goals, they were fine generally though.

-Sahin wasn't really firing on all cylinders, but looked to be growing into the game as it went on which was promising. Made it all the more baffling that Gerrard was not subbed off for Shelvey really

-On that note, Rodgers is hardly the first to cling too much to old stars, Dalglish faced just the same problem with choosing Carra over Coates, as well as countless others. I suppose there is always the feeling, particularly with someone like Gerrard, that they can still produce a moment of brilliance even if they have been poor. With a youngster, there is often the opposite feeling, never expecting some brilliant bit of play but rather being surprised when it happens

-Liverpool were very shot shy from outside the box, always seeming to play one pass too many, understandable with someone low on confidence like Downing but you really want to see Suarez, Stirling, Gerrard, Shelvey, Sahin have more shots. For all that Borini didn't play well, he at least was looking to shoot often.

Mastadon

Banned
But as a manger shouldn't you actually have a replacement available before sending out your only out and out striker? I mean make sure the deal is actually done.

It's pretty obvious that Rodgers was given assurances that a striker would be brought in, and was let down at the last minute.

This from someone on the Guardian liveblog made me laugh. Bit unfair, but still funny:

We hired a bloke who managed to win a league dominated by two teams much better than Rangers and Celtic. Didn't exactly work either!

Results matter Rodgers.

That's ridiculous, we're three games in. Imagine if Wenger was a new manager last season, and people were judging him after the start you had to the season. He's implemented a new system that has already improved the way we play, and going forward will prove successful.

Clegg

You shouldn't bench a goalkeeper after making an error. He should be picked for the next game in order to make amends.

We benched De Gea for a while last season and he was even shakier when reintroduced to the starting XI. He started looking so good at the end of last season because he was getting a consistent run of games.

Soi-Fong

DDG benched because of the OG. Knew it. For Fergie, it must have been that if DDG is going to go out like that he has to commit fully which he didn't do.

I reckon you might. Would be ridiculous to keep a goalie of Lloris' quality stuck on the bench.

So is Friedel getting dropped for the season or Lloris benched?

He said Friedel would keep his place. For now.

I should clarify what I said. You don't rotate keepers for Premier League games like this. Lindegaard had a great game on Wednesday and Ferguson was there to see it. He's being given a chance. If this was the Capital One Cup then yes, you could say it's rotation.

GorillaJu

Don't think people will be after you for saying that. He could cost Liverpool a lot this season.

He has cost us at least one goal every game this season so far.

I don't want to sound reactionary, but we really should sign Jack Butland. It's all well and good having Gulasci as a backup, who is maybe above average, but I think we need someone to threaten Pepe's position.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom