• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2012/13 |OT3| Two-sided triangles

Status
Not open for further replies.

sixghost

One thing that strikes me is his complete lack of pace, you'd honestly think he was 10 years older. People were talking about his aerial ability but I can't remember him winning anything which was disappointing. That missed chance was unfortunate but I saw some great movement so I won't jump in with people here and call him the next Chamakh. I'd love to see him work a bit harder to be honest as it didn't look like he even worked up a sweat at times.

Why do you think Wenger keeps trying to find a target man that fits his system? They always look out of place. A false 9 like Van Persie seems like a better fit for the way they play.

jtb

Banned
One thing I loved about today's win at Anfield: no Theo in sight. You don't pay a bench-quality player 100k/week, and you sure as hell don't reward that kind of bullshit with a run of games. Hope he starts in the Carling cup though; really really hoping that if he signs a new contract, Wenger finally starts playing him down the middle now that we have just one back-up striker (since Podolski plays on the wing as well).

Another random note: Uh, was it just me, or was Jenkinson not complete shit? Hell, the team as a whole was pretty solid defensively and for the first time in years, there was a coherent shape to the team. Very promising.

Giroud will come good. He's a bit slow, but that's all right. He just needs to work on his hold-up play a little bit more, and score to give him that confidence boost and, while slow, he'll really add some dynamism to our attack. Don't forget, RVP was slow too. But it was all right since all the attacks went through him; Giroud doesn't play as deep, and that's fine (as long as he starts scoring.)

Why do you think Wenger keeps trying to find a target man that fits his system? They always look out of place.

because without one, we are far too predictable and vulnerable. Plus, we thrived with Adebayor in 07-08 (which, not coincidentally, was the only other time we've come within touching distance of the PL title)

dc89

Ex Liverpool, a few people requested a scouting report when they signed him.

Moor park, across from Deepdale, or Avenham?

There's some shit going on in Avenham now, my mum and step dad are about to walk down (live about 10 minutes away) but I can't be arsed.

Avenham. I like that park, pretty nice really though I wouldn't trust it at night :p

My GF was doing a event there with UCLAN. So I nabbed her backstage pass :p

Arnie

Another random note: Uh, was it just me, or was Jenkinson not complete shit? Hell, the team as a whole was pretty solid defensively and for the first time in years, there was a coherent shape to the team. Very promising.

I thought he did alright to be fair.

There is something inherently funny about him, but it's not a reflection of how he played today, which was by all accounts pretty solid.

Avenham. I like that park, pretty nice really though I wouldn't trust it at night :p

My GF was doing a event there with UCLAN. So I nabbed her backstage pass :p
Yea, that's basically at the end of my road. Avenham as an area is really, really rough, so I wouldn't go into the park at night either (obviously it'll be fine tonight because there's a huge event on). They have done the park up recently though, and it's looking great.

Salvadora

One thing I loved about today's win at Anfield: no Theo in sight. You don't pay a bench-quality player 100k/week, and you sure as hell don't reward that kind of bullshit with a run of games. Hope he starts in the Carling cup though; really really hoping that if he signs a new contract, Wenger finally starts playing him down the middle now that we have just one back-up striker (since Podolski plays on the wing as well).

Giroud will come good. He's a bit slow, but that's all right. He just needs to work on his hold-up play a little bit more, and score to give him that confidence boost and, while slow, he'll really add some dynamism to our attack. Don't forget, RVP was slow too. But it was all right since all the attacks went through him; Giroud doesn't play as deep, and that's fine (as long as he starts scoring.)

because without one, we are far too predictable and vulnerable. Plus, we thrived with Adebayor in 07-08 (which, not coincidentally, was the only other time we've come within touching distance of the PL title)
He made a terrible error in the first half that could have lead to a goal but overall I was pleased.

To be honest with you Chamakh was great for us when he had a run of games. People complained he didn't score enough - did they see how often he played? In his first season, he scored 1 goal in the league after making 11 appearances, 10 of which came as substitutes (probably late in the game). Why is this? It's simple; Wenger played with one man up front and that was RVP.

When RVP suffered that injury, it meant Chamakh started games. He scored 7 goals in 29 appearances, 11 of which were substitutes. So 7 goals in 18 starts. That's a fantastic stat. He was also brilliant in the air and a good finisher. I would love to see him start ahead of Giroud if he continues to disappoint in front of goal.

Arnie

To be honest with you Chamakh was great for us when he had a run of games. People complained he didn't score enough - did they see how often he played? In his first season, he scored 1 goal in the league after making 11 appearances, 10 of which came as substitutes (probably late in the game). Why is this? It's simple; Wenger played with one man up front and that was RVP.

When RVP suffered that injury, it meant Chamakh started games. He scored 7 goals in 29 appearances, 11 of which were substitutes. So 7 goals in 18 starts. That's a fantastic stat. He was also brilliant in the air and a good finisher.
My friend's an Arsenal fan and he genuinely said he'd take Chamakh over Jelavic near the end of last season.

I laughed, ridiculed, pointed, insulted, and mocked him.

I love this song and this performance!

---

Lollerpool. Sounds like Suarez was flopping all over the place for a change. Kinda gutted to hear Sahin didn't play well, want him to come good really even though he's playing for Liverpool. Sounds like Allen had another good game, expected him to do quite well for Liverpool but it seems like he is off to an absolute flyer.

Also, seems like Usho was right about Reina :lol

Well done Arsenal fans! PODOLSKI, HE'S GERMAN! HE KNOWS WHAT TO DO!

What I really need to know though - were there any 2 sides tri-angles? GIFS PLZ.

---

RVPPPPP.

Other than that, sounds like we were absolute shit and the midfield is still bollocks. We aren't gonna win shit this season even with RVP being a God. Sigh.

jtb

Banned

When RVP suffered that injury, it meant Chamakh started games. He scored 7 goals in 29 appearances, 11 of which were substitutes. So 7 goals in 18 starts. That's a fantastic stat. He was also brilliant in the air and a good finisher.

Exactly; he was Adebayor's replacement that arrived a year late, but rather than play him like he did Adebayor, Wenger stuck RVP up front as lone striker. Big big waste. Should've played RVP/Nasri in the hole, Chamakh/Bendtner up front in a quasi 4-4-2.

I am hoping, hell, expecting, RVP's departure to really free up this team in the same way Henry's departure did. Giroud, Podolski, Chamakh, and hopefully Theo, all offer something a bit different up front and I like having those options.

If Walcott signs a new contract, I really can't see how Wenger can't stick him up front anymore. There are seriously zero excuses left.

Another victim to RVP was Eduardo, who despite his long-term injury, still illustrated lethal finishing when given the chance. Except he barely got a chance. The hilarious thing is, you would often see Chamakh, Eduardo or Bendtner coming on to play on the wing just to allow RVP to be the lone striker. I need not tell you none of them did well in their brief midfield cameos.

Arnie

Weighing up buying a ticket to United now. The seats left are utter wank though.

In a quandary. Wish I was German, then I'd know what to do.

Lightning

Banned
Another victim to RVP was Eduardo, who despite his long-term injury, still illustrated lethal finishing when given the chance. Except he barely got a chance. The hilarious thing is, you would often see Chamakh, Eduardo or Bendtner coming on to play on the wing just to allow RVP to be the lone striker. I need not tell you none of them did well in their brief midfield cameos.
Yeah but remember RVP spent half of most seasons on the medical table. So that doesn't apply to the whole season.

jtb

Banned
Plus, Chamakh immediately settled into the team where it took Adebayor and certainly Giroud now far longer to settle in. I don't want to rewrite history or anything, but to think of what could (perhaps, should?) have been if Wenger wasn't so fucking stubborn with his tactics. At least now, Arsenal doesn't really have a best XI off the top of my head, and that's a good thing. Options, tactical choices, depth... These are good things that are far more valuable than a star player.

and I fucking hate Wenger refusing to buy wide players. Nasri, Eduardo, Bendtner, fucking Chamakh?!?, Theo, Arshavin, Diaby (albiet, only during injury crises), Rosicky, etc. are NOT wide players. So even if I have to watch Gervinho, I'm not complaining because at least he's a natural winger.

Salvadora

Plus, Chamakh immediately settled into the team where it took Adebayor and certainly Giroud now far longer to settle in. I don't want to rewrite history or anything, but to think of what could (perhaps, should?) have been if Wenger wasn't so fucking stubborn with his tactics. At least now, Arsenal doesn't really have a best XI off the top of my head, and that's a good thing. Options, tactical choices, depth... These are good things that are far more valuable than a star player.

and I fucking hate Wenger refusing to buy wide players. Nasri, Eduardo, Bendtner, fucking Chamakh?!?, Theo, Arshavin, Diaby (albiet, only during injury crises), Rosicky, etc. are NOT wide players. So even if I have to watch Gervinho, I'm not complaining because at least he's a natural winger.
It's insulting to tell you the truth.

Sleepy

One thing that strikes me is his complete lack of pace, you'd honestly think he was 10 years older. People were talking about his aerial ability but I can't remember him winning anything which was disappointing. That missed chance was unfortunate but I saw some great movement so I won't jump in with people here and call him the next Chamakh. I'd love to see him work a bit harder to be honest as it didn't look like he even worked up a sweat at times.

I thought he looked tired. He didn't chase; he may have been able to catch the Reina rebound if he would have attacked.

Wilbur

Banned

Throwing his toys out of the pram.

Intriguing. Wonder if it's Mou.

And FORZA ROMA TOLD YOU FUCKERS ZEMAN WOULD WIN ALL

Looking forward to MOTD tonight/tomorrow, want to see the second half. I'm really disappointed we got bosses by Southampton. No disrespect to 3Sixty and Southampton themselves because the half I saw they were really good and they will be fine if they can sort their defence, but someone of Carrick's experience should not have such poor games. Kagawa was marked out the game from what I saw, they kept getting to him before he could trap the ball. It's odd because he thrived at Everton. Just an off day I suppose.

I'm already happy with RVP despite my misgivings, but can't believe we might be a one man team hahaha

Sleepy

Wenger just plays players where he thinks they will fit. Ruined many a good player that way, it seems.

Hilarious CR7 quote.

Wilbur

Banned
Ronaldo: "I didn't celebrate because I'm unhappy with some people in the club & they know who they are"

FAGIE.

PLEASE!

Don't even fucking dare to dream. Don't even think about it. Before you know it I'll be erect and there will be semen in the gutters of Watford tonight (sorry Kyoufu).

Also PSG winning at Lille.

Arnie

I didn't miss the dismal weekends that football throws at you on a regular basis :(

Does me in.

Just chose not to buy that United ticket. Including train fees from Uni the whole thing would cost about £80, and I really can't see us pulling a win out in the next few weeks against United. That's such a shit mindset to have, and I sound like a wank fan, but money's tight because I didn't get a summer job.

Hopefully next summer I'll have a full time income though. Might just become a midafternoon milkman on the Wirral when I finish, spend my days earning a cool £16k a year and banging scouse milfs. Go the match every weekend.

Salvadora

Does me in.

Just chose not to buy that United ticket. Including train fees from Uni the whole thing would cost about £80, and I really can't see us pulling a win out in the next few weeks against United. That's such a shit mindset to have, and I sound like a wank fan, but money's tight because I didn't get a summer job.

Hopefully next summer I'll have a full time income though. Might just become a midafternoon milkman on the Wirral when I finish, spend my days earning a cool £16k a year and banging scouse milfs. Go the match every weekend.
I reckon you've got a good chance from what I saw of United/Liverpool today. Put them under pressure and you'll be banging them in.

Don't even fucking dare to dream. Don't even think about it. Before you know it I'll be erect and there will be semen in the gutters of Watford tonight (sorry Kyoufu).

Also PSG winning at Lille.
Sell Rooney, Sell Robin, Sell the stadium, SELL SOME MORE SHARES JUST BRING HIM BACK.

Already posted.

You've been off the pace today, Viva.
Sorry! Been out all day, it's all just too much.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom