• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2012/13 |OT3| Two-sided triangles

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wilbur

Banned
For me, The Wire was the first show I had watched where it didn't treat you like an idiot. It doesn't say, 'Oh, here's something we showed you last time, let's have the characters talk about it the whole way through the episode!'. It expects you to remember these things so it can hit you with a great conclusion, like a well-written novel. It also has all these different characters that are so far removed from one-another, and gives you time to connect with them, learn their stories etc. I've never seen anything like it before. It is the best of its medium. Fuck, I wanna watch it again :lol

I'm not in the same house right now so I'm allowed to respond but if this was the first show you watched that didn't make you feel like an idiot, then it must be the first show you have ever watched because you are an idiot

Conor 419

Banned
Pecking Order

1. Planet Earth
=2. The Wire
=2. Breaking Bad
4. Arrested Development/Trigger Happy TV
5. Game of Thrones

While Trigger Happy TV is definitely capable of taking the #1 spot, it really requires a surreal mindset to gel with. It's one of the least conservative comedy shows around.

rvy

Banned
Witsel and Hulk? Well fuck. When they get used to the weather, that league is wrapped up.

Another CM we've missed out on.

Rvy must be fuming, Witsel and Garcia gone in a few days

Fuck that shit, brah. No left back and no midfield. I gave up thinking about winning anything during the pre-season. What bothers me about Witsel is that he should be playing in a better league. I can understand why someone would leave when he gets paid like 5x more though.
Javi did what any player would, he went on to play for the EPL champions.

€40 millions is insane.

ATF487

Only seen a few episodes of breaking bad (and going to continue to watch it after I browse gaf for a bit) but there's no way it shits on Mad Men.

Mad Men is one of the most interesting and watchable shows of all time. It never bores me, but it's also very thorough in the way it fleshes out characters. I ran through 5 seasons in a few weeks because I'm unemployed I was blown away

Only seen a few episodes of breaking bad (and going to continue to watch it after I browse gaf for a bit) but there's no way it shits on Mad Men.

Mad Men is one of the most interesting and watchable shows of all time. It never bores me, but it's also very thorough in the way it fleshes out characters. I ran through 5 seasons in a few weeks because I'm unemployed I was blown away

Shame arseholes like Fry can't give it the love it deserves.

I have no idea what I'm saying

Arnie

Breaking Bad is very good, but it isn't in the same territory as The Sopranos, Mad Men, and The Wire, for me.

It's thoroughly entertaining, but it's also overtly contrived. Everything is made for entertainment, every character is clearly delivering a performance. The plot points are there to entertain, rather than fascinate, educate, and draw me into a place, a period, and a specific context.

I would personally rather watch a programme about the schooling system in Baltimore, or the advertising agencies of the late 60s, than watch a dad turned drug dealer. I appreciate the way that sounds, but it's an example of how well made the first two shows are that such plot points can engage and ultimately fulfill me more than the latter.

Choc

Banned
splash_home1_1577802a.jpg

I still haven't found a show that has matched the highs and lows of The Wire. When it was on, it was the best TV I'd ever seen - when it was off (e.g. the entirety of the 5th season) it was nigh unwatchable.

Dechamps is pissed that Villas-Boas said Brad Friedel would keep his place for now.

What he said makes sense though:

"Brad is doing extremely well and deserves to be playing and he'll continue to do so. The Premier League's a specific league and we want to build for the future, so we decided to bring in Hugo now as he can be our keeper in future. We have to work with that and he will have to adapt to the Premier League. There are players that need more time, players that need less time. But again, when you have a keeper that gives so much confidence to the team and is doing so well like Brad, he deserves to be in goal."

elsk

Banned
apparently he wants 12m pounds a year after tax

which in a few years will fall under the 52 percent tax rate bracket and for him to get 12m pounds he needs to be paid 25m before tax... thats 480,000 a week

according to the sun

Yeah, they're saying the same thing on TV. Sounds logical, that's the kind of things that would make him "unhappy", what a JT.

Slizz

That's why he cried 20 minutes in the dressing room?

YEAH, SURE.

Lol honestly.

"Oh no, new tax brackets I'm about to fall into... Scored 2 goals didn't celebrate because of tax brackets... Won La Liga last year... but the tax brackets"

Mumei

I'm still waiting for it to grip me, and I'm about 2/3 of the way through season 2.

It's good with some great scenes but not the God-tier show that everyone makes out.

Oh, it is more certainly the God-tier show everyone makes it out to be.

I think for me what makes it special it is that it has more substance than most other shows. There is actually something there beneath the surface to think about and unpack, and as a sociology of the malaise gripping a particular sort of American city, it is truly gripping. I know that does not necessarily have an appeal to everyone, but it is probably the biggest part of the appeal for me. The stories, the powerful tragicomic themes, the multi-season arcs for so many characters, the characterization, the acting, the relentless dedication to showing and not telling, and so forth are all wonderful and add so much to the experience of the show, but if it weren't in service of doing the deeper analysis I would not care so much. That it manages to paint a nearly complete picture of the city and its institutions while doing the aforementioned nearly perfectly - the hiccup of the last season aside - puts it beyond anything else I have seen.

apparently he wants 12m pounds a year after tax

which in a few years will fall under the 52 percent tax rate bracket and for him to get 12m pounds he needs to be paid 25m before tax... thats 480,000 a week

according to the sun

Flat 13 percent tax in Russia....
welcome to Anzhi

elsk

Banned
Here you are talking about social issues when you're from the murder capital of the world of the world

Something about glass houses, no? ;)

But yeah, that anthem is indeed bad ass.

EDIT: I hope that didn't come off as confrontational. Just trying to engage in some badinage.

Haha, actually at first I was like "woah, he thought I was being serious". Hey! I would move to Russia (or any decent country) any day if I had the chance :(

Soi-Fong

Who here is getting FIFA 13 and which platform?

Thinking about PC just so it runs at 60 fps and resolution is higher and cleaner.

elsk

Banned
LOL think of all the shit you have to put up with being the 'second best' player in the world for the rest of your life... even after you win la liga

Yeah, what a tragic life... and I don't really consider him the 'second best' player in the world anyway. That's just media BS because he plays for Real Madrid and they needed someone to 'fight' with Messi.

Kozak

Banned
Yeah, what a tragic life... and I don't really consider him the 'second best' player in the world anyway. That's just media BS because he plays for Real Madrid and they needed someone to 'fight' with Messi.

Who do you think is better than Ronaldo? Apart from Messi of course.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
(On CR7) some are saying it was his father's anniversary and he requested a minute's silence.

Armband would've been nice, Perez.

FootballFan

Iniesta you could make a case for, but Xavi??

Fixed.

Iniesta has been out performing Xavi in the last year, maybe even 2 years. If elsk thinks someone is better than Ronaldo then it has to be Iniesta, don't see any other logical option.
elsk to say Lahm is 2nd best.

elsk

Banned
What's your top 3?

It's very subjetive but:

1. Messi
2. Iniesta

For the third position I can't say just a name, I think there are various choices (Cristiano Ronaldo included). It depends on who is in better form.
Robben in the 09/10 season was easily the second best player in the world, but since he wasn't Real Madrid or Barcelona players they didn't see the need to 'label' him. And I think at that point, he was closer to Messi than CR7 has ever been.

Fixed.

Iniesta has been out performing Xavi in the last year, maybe even 2 years. If elsk thinks someone is better than Ronaldo then it has to be Iniesta, don't see any other logical option.

Haha, I just read that. Actually I think Lahm has been the best full-back in the world for some time now but we all know the 'best player' label is for offensive players.

Choc

Banned
(On CR7) some are saying it was his father's anniversary and he requested a minute's silence.

Armband would've been nice, Perez.

This sounds very plausible. And RM are fucking morons if they rejected an armband. I guess it made CR7 realise they only care about him as a footballer and market item rather then him personally

Kozak

Banned
Fixed.

Fair enough but I'll always consider Xavi > Iniesta just based on their impact on Barcelona.

I get the impression that the vast majority of people who consider Fake Ronaldo the second best are United or Real Madrid fans.

I'm neither but I do get the impression that the vast majority of people who don't consider Ronaldo at least the second best don't like Ronaldo.

I don't understand how Ronaldo could not be at least the 2nd best in the world? Could you say he has ever had a bad year? He has been a decisive factor in his teams seasonal performance since 2006.

I hope we're talking football here and you guys aren't basing your decisions on emotions..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom