• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2012/13 |OT3| Two-sided triangles

Status
Not open for further replies.
My wife bought me them before I went on my stag do, i went to Riga and it was like -20 or so, all the lads took the piss something rotten but envied my toasty toes

Looking back I think it may have been a plot by the wife to make it impossible for me to cheat on her, with a woman at least

It's honestly the best fan made football vid. True passion and sincerity there, gets me emotional whenever I see it. The man even made his own scarf and trophy from cardboard and gets on camera to sing every song until he is out of air. If I had the money, I'd fly him out to as many Arsenal games as he wants

gun__1265971025_fan_of_india.jpg

Proper fan

It's honestly the best fan made football vid. True passion and sincerity there, gets me emotional whenever I see it. The man even made his own scarf and trophy from cardboard and gets on camera to sing every song until he is out of air. If I had the money, I'd fly him out to as many Arsenal games as he wants

Damn that Indian guy. :lol

It doesn't match the awesome lyrics of this though
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G-Lq2_s9vaw

Arnie

I love toms but these were the kind with the toggle on the back, the size was totally different to their classic ones so I returned them and bought another pair of classic ones in wine colour

I also own a pair of men's uggs but that's a whole different story for a whole different day - I regret nothing

Student > Ugg wearing male

So after people here and elsewhere said TheAnfieldWrap is really great, I decided to listen to the latest version to see what they're saying about the owners.

One point which was raised on there which is something I've thought about to and is a legitimately good point - if you don't know anything about a business sector/market, why spend money/invest in it?

That's basically what FSG have done with Liverpool. They've basically admitted they know very little about football but they've gone into it...that it has to be said does make you wonder, why are they there? They're not football fans...

FWIW I really don't think FSG have any devious plans for Liverpool, but it does at least seem like a pretty naive thing to do.

K1LLER7

Fergie talks up this idea of a quicker and more direct team but I've seen little evidence of it. All we do is pass the ball either backwards or fucking sideways.

lol yeah, it was there against Fulham in the first half but we never seem to start playing with pace and urgency until we're a goal down.

PJX

Carlo Garganese: "If you ask me whether I think Ronaldo should win the Ballon d'Or, then I say that he deserves to. He was the most decisive player in club football last season, had a great European Championship, and when all things are taken into account I believe he did more than his main rivals Lionel Messi, Andres Iniesta and the media-promoted Iker Casillas.

That is probably one of the biggest bullshit I've ever read in regards to football.

WJD

And that square ball he put wide.

That was a bloody difficult chance. If the ball had come from the opposite direction then yeah, but opening your foot out like that is much harder than it looks. Very similar to Balotelli's first from the 6-1, which was an excellent finish.

Salazar

That was a bloody difficult chance. If the ball had come from the opposite direction then yeah, but opening your foot out like that is much harder than it looks.

To be fair, if we'd won the game 4-2, we would just have deserved it less.

K1LLER7

That was a bloody difficult chance. If the ball had come from the opposite direction then yeah, but opening your foot out like that is much harder than it looks. Very similar to Balotelli's first from the 6-1, which was an excellent finish.

yeah, think he would have had a better chance if he took a touch. He's been brilliant so far and hopefully he carries this on as long as possible.

Fergie has to drop Welbeck for Nani/Young at the next match. He's not started the season of well and he doesn't offer much on the wing.

I'm about to start Season 4 of Mad Men so once I've caught up, shouldn't be too long now, I will start on Breaking Bad.

I really hope this show is seriously out of this world omg amazing because the way GAF goes on about it...anything less than it being the best show I have ever seen, will be very disappointing.

Lightning

Banned
Just listened to The Anfield Wrap and I'm still pissed off with the whole sequence of events, which is in turn still souring me to football in general. When I read that open letter from John Henry this morning I mouthed 'fuck off'. Words are wind. Hold your hands up instead of harping on about 'the Liverpool way'.

If you were actually in Liverpool you might've been able to rectify the situation. Instead we've got Ian Ayre, a glorified marketing man shutting up shop and driving home at half 9.
I can't help but find it a bit funny. The letter from Henry reeks of something you would expect to come from Arsene Wenger. First the list of "quality players" brought in followed by we will by the "super super super quality" players if the opportunity arises finished off with underlining that they won't spend outside budget.

near

Gold Member
Spot on. I've managed to get sucked in to a ridiculous debate in that thread though :lol

Kind of briefly read through that thread, don't want to engage in any real discussion in fear of people tainting my last impressions of that episode. lol. I loooooved
the fly scene
at the begin. Pure genius.

Wilbur

Banned
I'm about to start Season 4 of Mad Men so once I've caught up, shouldn't be too long now, I will start on Breaking Bad.

I really hope this show is seriously out of this world omg amazing because the way GAF goes on about it...anything less than it being the best show I have ever seen, will be very disappointing.

It's not. It doesn't have the same amount of fantastic characters as Deadwood, or the incredible scope of The Wire. It's extremely well acted, very well written and immensely entertaining though. I can't really fault it but it's not the best show ever.

Fry

It's twice as better as The Wire and shits all over Mad Men.

Wilbur

Banned
:(

RVN was a badass. I never saw him play but he looks like a straight up gangster on youtube videos.

He really was. One of my all time favourite players. Absolutely loved Ruud.

It's twice as better as The Wire and shits all over Mad Men.

Add me to the list of people that thinks it's the greatest show ever.

(BB I mean)

I can see why it might be, but to me it's a very very entertaining show as opposed to being something great, if you know what I mean. Doesn't mean it's not great, but it's not great. I love Anchorman and I love The Godfather, but one is vastly entertaining and one is that as well as great great film making. Breaking Bad is stylistically excellent, looks excellent, is excellently acted and written, but it doesn't feel to me like this incredible incredible television show that The Wire and Deadwood felt it. Still love it though.

The Wire > Breaking Bad > Arrested Development.

BB has the potential to jump ahead of The Wire, but it'd have to be absolutely incredible to do so.

Empty

:(

RVN was a badass. I never saw him play but he looks like a straight up gangster on youtube videos.

he was so cool. kinda like falcao now - just absolutely deadly whenever the ball was in the penalty box whether the ball needed a nice dink over the keeper, a smash into the corner, a header, a clever turn and shot or a tap in.

there's a nice clip of him training with a very young wellbeck

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vf9SOUOiNHQ

feel free to compare it to owen being a twat to some thirteen year old keeper. bet rvn never had to make a brochure to sell himself as a clean and fresh global brand to clubs.

near

Gold Member

If you expect BB to slap you in the face with 'omg amazing' straight away that won't happen. BB is all about patience, the story builds and builds and even when you think your at climax you haven't even got a boner yet. Its entertaining from the get go, but you definitely don't know what your in for and it is way above your expectations if go into it with a neutral mindset. It's definitely the greatest series to ever hit television imo and I came to that conclusion at the end of S4 and it was reaffirmed with this latest episode. Its the most consistent series out there, every season has it's genius moments and everyone I've introduced the show to - loves it.

Sorry for derailing the thread with BB again, but I'm still in 'OMG that was amazing' mode.

I can see why it might be, but to me it's a very very entertaining show as opposed to being something great, if you know what I mean. Doesn't mean it's not great, but it's not great. I love Anchorman and I love The Godfather, but one is vastly entertaining and one is that as well as great great film making. Breaking Bad is stylistically excellent, looks excellent, is excellently acted and written, but it doesn't feel to me like this incredible incredible television show that The Wire and Deadwood felt it. Still love it though.

I think it's great because there is no series out there similar to it that does it as good as this. You actually have to compare it to movies, because there is nothing on television in its category. And when you do compare it to films, it's with The Godfather, Scarface and Goodfellas, because those are that good in there field.

Tegris

It's not. It doesn't have the same amount of fantastic characters as Deadwood, or the incredible scope of The Wire. It's extremely well acted, very well written and immensely entertaining though. I can't really fault it but it's not the best show ever.

I've just started watching Breaking Bad (up to the sixth episode of Season 2), and so far this about how I feel about it. The acting is excellent, and it's enthralling, but it lacks the kind of artistic merit it would need to be in a discussion of 'Best Show Ever.' I guess the best point of comparison would be something like 24 on steroids (meth?).

I'm obviously willing to be converted if subsequent episodes/seasons are better, and I'll certainly watch all of it eventually.

kharma45

ixjTXYH9jNRTb.jpg

Child, we need to talk.

I haven't even seen Breaking Bad, but I'm still right. The Wire is that good.

I'm still waiting for it to grip me, and I'm about 2/3 of the way through season 2.

It's good with some great scenes but not the God-tier show that everyone makes out.

Wilbur

Banned
I've just started watching Breaking Bad (up to the sixth episode of Season 2), and so far this about how I feel about it. The acting is excellent, and it's enthralling, but it lacks the kind of artistic merit it would need to be in a discussion of 'Best Show Ever.' I guess the best point of comparison would be something like 24 on steroids (meth?).

I'm obviously willing to be converted if subsequent episodes/seasons are better, and I'll certainly watch all of it eventually.

To be fair to it, it does get better and better (and this might be why it's so revered); something like The Wire to me was consistently quality throughout its whole run, like nigh on perfect from start to finish. Breaking Bad has always been good but has improved as its gone on a great deal - but for me it hasn't hit the heights yet. I'm on Season Four, Episode Six and I'm not knocking the show, I think it's wonderful and entertaining and great television; but it's lacking that little something that makes it great television.

To be fair to it, it does get better and better (and this might be why it's so revered); something like The Wire to me was consistently quality throughout its whole run, like nigh on perfect from start to finish. Breaking Bad has always been good but has improved as its gone on a great deal - but for me it hasn't hit the heights yet. I'm on Season Four, Episode Six and I'm not knocking the show, I think it's wonderful and entertaining and great television; but it's lacking that little something that makes it great television.

I'll be surprised if you're saying that at the end of season 4.

For me, The Wire was the first show I had watched where it didn't treat you like an idiot. It doesn't say, 'Oh, here's something we showed you last time, let's have the characters talk about it the whole way through the episode!'. It expects you to remember these things so it can hit you with a great conclusion, like a well-written novel. It also has all these different characters that are so far removed from one-another, and gives you time to connect with them, learn their stories etc. I've never seen anything like it before. It is the best of its medium. Fuck, I wanna watch it again :lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom