• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2012/13 |OT3| Two-sided triangles

Status
Not open for further replies.

dc89

BREAKING: Scott Sinclair will complete his move from Swansea to #mcfc on Tuesday after the clubs agreed a £6.2million fee. [Sky Sports]

@City_Watch

bud

these allen-related masturbation sessions are getting out of hand.

i'm curious about how many actual risky passes he gave. i don't think there were too many of those.

a couple of years ago, a certain brazilian playing for arsenal named denilson had similar stats. but then you'd look at where he actually passed it to and it was immediately 80% less impressive.

TeegsD

BREAKING: Scott Sinclair will complete his move from Swansea to #mcfc on Tuesday after the clubs agreed a £6.2million fee. [Sky Sports]

@City_Watch

I was actually thinking of getting rid of him on my FF team since I have two other SC players but this can work out. Do you think he'll be getting game time right away?

PaulLFC

i'm curious about how many actual risky passes he gave. i don't think there were too many of those.

a couple of years ago, a certain brazilian playing for arsenal named denilson had similar stats. but then you'd look at where he actually passed it to and it was immediately 80% less impressive.
Just because he doesn't pick out hollywood passes all game doesn't mean his overall play is less impressive. If he helps to control the game, keep us in possession (obviously if the other team can't get possession they can't do anything) and keep the ball away from the opposition, who cares where his passes go, as long as they go to one of our players? Risky passes are exactly that - risky. The risk being he could give the ball away and then the other team go and score. I'd take 100 two-yard sideways passes over one risky pass that gifted the opposition a goal any day.

Whoever said the Barca shirrts would look good on camera in action was crazy btw, it only looks much more vomit inducing now, of course that was to expected when Alves, Sancez and Bicsuits were wearing them but... They look really bad.

Arnie

Sure, a large proportion of them were simply keeping the play ticking over, but it's still not easy to do that against the best opposition in the league. And there were quite a few forward, risky passes that I noticed too, where he'd squeeze it between two helpless players. The important thing is that he's getting on the ball and dictating play, and that he got man of the match shows the stat isn't wholly superficial.

Another thing about Allen is his confidence to not just get on the ball, but once he's got it. He likes to make quick bursts past players and into pockets of space, and he's very unpredictable. Also telling that I couldn't tell you which foot he prefers, either.

Had Yaya and Tevez in my FF today too, never been less enthused about getting points.

GorillaJu

For me, it's not really his passing, as it is all elements of his game, plus how cool and composed he is on the ball. He reads everything at a level far higher than his age would point to. He took the ball off some players much bigger than him today, and when he takes the ball he keeps it, he doesn't just tackle it into whatever space is in front of him.

Beside that, I'm mostly tongue in cheek. It's fun, as a fan, to have a player that you can really appreciate. God knows people here do it for their favorites, regardless of how good they actually are.

LegoArmo

United's shitty midfield almost always has pass percentages in the mid-90s. In the case of Scholes, often higher.

Allen does look very tidy though.

Can I get the lowdown on the second half?

Watched the first half and was impressed by Liverpool. City looked dominant in the first 15/20 mins but then Liverpool kicked into gear and had a lot of momentum.

Heard City were lucky to draw in the end?

Fry

Well, one thing is for certain, it's exciting to watch Liverpool playing once again. And with Agger and Sahin included in the first XI, things should only get better. Who knows if a striker won't come in either.

But the results need to come and fast, so a win against either of Arsenal and Man Utd is mandatory.

GorillaJu

Can I get the lowdown on the second half?

Watched the first half and was impressed by Liverpool. City looked dominant in the first 15/20 mins but then Liverpool kicked into gear and had a lot of momentum.

Heard City were lucky to draw in the end?

Both their goals were gifts, unfortunately. Especially the second - Liverpool was in complete control and dominating after that initial patch of quality from City.

Skrtel received the ball from Reina, dawdled on the ball looking for a pass, and eventually sent back a really weak back pass to Reina. Got picked up by Tevez and became a goal.

United's shitty midfield almost always has pass percentages in the mid-90s. In the case of Scholes, often higher.

United's shitty midfield is shitty by United's standards and I've always maintained this. It's a decent midfield, it's just not PL champions level.

Arnie

Well, one thing is for certain, it's exciting to watch Liverpool playing once again. And with Agger and Sahin included in the first XI, things should only get better. Who knows if a striker won't come in either.

But the results need to come and fast, so a win against either of Arsenal and Man Utd is mandatory.

If we perform like we did today against both Arsenal and United I'd be surprised if we didn't come away with 4 points.

Osasuna just missed a sitter.

GorillaJu

Wow... What a chance. Busquets in rare form there. You almost never see him knocked off the ball. Definitely doesn't look like a foul to me, he just flopped since that's what he does.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
If Sampdoria can maintain that form against other midtable sides this year...

ibvaZLZuTtb10H.gif

LegoArmo

United's shitty midfield is shitty by United's standards and I've always maintained this. It's a decent midfield, it's just not PL champions level.

Exactly. Something I think people fail to realise. United fans usually hold their players to a very high level of performance, there's usually a couple of scapegoats and a couple of fan favourites who can get away with poor ones though.

GorillaJu

I love Barça, but it's hard not to feel aggrieved for Osasuna there as underdogs. They should be ahead still with those chances they've had.

They're going to win this now.

jtb

Banned
Arsenal are seriously interested in Yanga Mbiwa apparently.

Yes please. Montpelier connection w/ Giroud, versatile, young, but proven given his Ligue 1 exploits, and allegedly leadership quality (captained Montpelier last season). Would be good Squillaci/Djouru replacement. Kos/Verm/Per/Mbiwa would be a solid defensive lineup. He also only has one year left on his contract, according to wikipedia, so price should be low, and he's French so he should have no problem joining Arsenal.

Make it happen Wenger!

feel

Osasuna were brilliant most of the match then just imploded after that offside goal for the tie. Oh well

edit-
Alexis was offside, not messi on the last pass

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom