• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2012/13 |OT3| Two-sided triangles

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fry

I'm still in awe of how much Rodgers is an upgrade on previous managers.

And I'm not even strictly talking about the football played on the pitch.

Both their goals were gifts, unfortunately. Especially the second - Liverpool was in complete control and dominating after that initial patch of quality from City.

Skrtel received the ball from Reina, dawdled on the ball looking for a pass, and eventually sent back a really weak back pass to Reina. Got picked up by Tevez and became a goal.

United's shitty midfield is shitty by United's standards and I've always maintained this. It's a decent midfield, it's just not PL champions level.
Gah so Liverpool should have won.

Well, at least City dropped points and it sounds like they didn't play too well. Managed to snag some good fantasy points from Tevez and Yaya too.

Very promising for Liverpool then - thought Allen, Coates and Sterling all looked very capable in that first 45. Trip to Anfield in a couple of weeks isn't going to be a tough one.

Salvadora

Yes please. Montpelier connection w/ Giroud, versatile, young, but proven given his Ligue 1 exploits, and allegedly leadership quality (captained Montpelier last season). Would be good Squillaci/Djouru replacement. Kos/Verm/Per/Mbiwa would be a solid defensive lineup. He also only has one year left on his contract, according to wikipedia, so price should be low, and he's French so he should have no problem joining Arsenal.

Make it happen Wenger!

Yeah I haven't seen much of him but it seems like a good buy.

rififi

Wait, am I looking at this replay of the first barca goal correctly or is it just the angle - two offsides during that play?

Brøndby equalizes and are now above the relegation line. Terrible day. Bjaelke must be ecstatic that his teams actually are managing to get draws though.

GorillaJu

Gah so Liverpool should have won.

Well, at least City dropped points and it sounds like they didn't play too well. Managed to snag some good fantasy points from Tevez and Yaya too.

Very promising for Liverpool then - thought Allen, Coates and Sterling all looked very capable in that first 45. Trip to Anfield in a couple of weeks isn't going to be a tough one.

To say Liverpool should have won is putting lightly, really. It almost feels like we won, because the performance level was so positive. Two defensive flukes, two goals. :p

Arnie

Most important thing for me was that we haven't abandoned our ability to pressure and raise our game in the big matches, which I thought could be the case given our new style and the defeat last week had me worried about our mentality. Can't be faulted today though, a couple of mistakes led to the goals conceded, but those things happen in football. If we play like we did today for large parts of the season we'll do very well.

Excited to see Agger and Sahin in the team next week.

Is this Montpellier player a defender? If so then that's a positive move by Arsenal.

Salvadora

Most important thing for me was that we haven't abandoned our ability to pressure and raise our game in the big matches, which I thought could be the case given our new style and the defeat last week had me worried about our mentality. Can't be faulted today though, a couple of mistakes led to the goals conceded, but those things happen in football. If we play like we did today for large parts of the season we'll do very well.

Excited to see Agger and Sahin in the team next week.

The Emirates is a fortress.

Blackhead

Redarse
To say Liverpool should have won is putting lightly, really. It almost feels like we won, because the performance level was so positive. Two defensive flukes, two goals. :p

Not really a defensive fluke when Skrtle had a similar brain fart in the previous game. He clearly hasn't adapted to this new style of play and unless he shapes up, or you get a better ball playing defender, these flukes will become a regular hazard.

odd_morsel said:
I believe it was a second yellow for a player arguing with the ref over the offside goal

Wow. I'm starting to believe in the Barca conspiracy theory now. That's crazy, especially since the guy was right.

As I said before only saw 45 mins today but between today, last week and another 45 minutes midweek I am having doubts over Borini.

Obv it is still too early to judge and he is young but it doesn't seem like he has enough individual quality from what I've seen. He gets the ball in wide positions but never really commits defenders. I'd heard his finishing was the best part of his game so maybe he just needs to get a first goal.

GorillaJu

Not really a defensive fluke when Skrtle had a similar brain fart in the previous game. He clearly hasn't adapted to this new style of play and unless he shapes up, or you get a better ball playing defender, these flukes will become a regular hazard.

It wasn't really like his mistake last week. Last week he just got skinned by a player. Today was a real brain fart of the highest order.

He should have known when the right time to just launch it is, it's not something inherent in the system. He doesn't need time to adapt, he just needs to cut the errors out.

Arnie

In fairness, he was playing on his less favoured side, so perhaps on his right he might've felt more comfortable playing the ball down the line, or looking for a trickier ball inside. And has been said, the angles for him weren't the best so he doesn't shoulder all the blame. Skrtel was boss today, and I'm reluctant to start pillaging his performance because of said unfortunate error.

Zabojnik

The Zeman era begins.

romazeman.png

AS ROMA SCUDETTO WINNERS 2012/2013. I'm calling it.

GorillaJu

As I said before only saw 45 mins today but between today, last week and another 45 minutes midweek I am having doubts over Borini.

Obv it is still too early to judge and he is young but it doesn't seem like he has enough individual quality from what I've seen. He gets the ball in wide positions but never really commits defenders. I'd heard his finishing was the best part of his game so maybe he just needs to get a first goal.

He played much better in the second half. The best part of his game is winning the ball high up on the pitch. He had a beautiful disguised pass in for Suarez that you probably missed.

I'm less skeptical about him now than I was before the game about Borini. But to be starting for Liverpool, you'd hope for more of an impact, especially on the score sheet. Think he'll eventually play in the middle, but at the moment its too big an ask for a 21 year old who is new to the PL.

Arnie

Yeah Yanga-Mbiwa can apparently play across the whole back line but is primarily CD

He can play anywhere in the defence? Fucking snap him up then. Love it on FM when I find a quality wingback who can play both sides. Perfect utility.

Speaking of, we looked far more dangerous when Enrique came on and Johnson could shift back to his preferred side. Kelly put in a top performance though, and it was great to see him do that on the back of some criticism last week, when people thought he couldn't adapt to the wingback system.

Afrikan

"Look at his ribs....soooo big......his heart......his ribs can't contain dat heart!" Speaking of Puyol laying on the ground breathing hard.

O'g goltv announcer dude must be good with the ladies...i can only imagine his words with woman.

panty

I await similar critiques when Madrid plays.

You have always been the biggest Barca-lover even when they've made some serious faults so I'm not expecting anything from you.

Similar critiques? You know there will be a shitty ref who gives advantage to Real?

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
Great stuff winning in this stadium. Osasuna was in better physical shape and this stadium has always been tough for us. glad that we got this tie done with early in the season with a win.

have to say putting Alexis as a 9 and Messi behind him when Pedro came in decided this match, good coaching by Tito.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom