• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2012/13 |OT3| Two-sided triangles

Status
Not open for further replies.

Soi-Fong

You know, in a way I have to disagree with this.

To an extant money does dictate where players will go to play etc. But realistically, players looking for bigger wages or more success are always going to find themselves in the most competitive clubs anyway.

So when it comes to clubs with money and the topic of transfers, the likes of City, Chelsea, PSG and so on are only standing in the way of other top clubs who just happen to have less money. That's to say, football wouldn't be any more fair with less money, because the Hazard's of the world were never going to sign for the Wigan's.

Are you serious? Nobody would have given a shit about City if they didn't win the lottery. Money counts for a lot in football these days. Players went to City for the incredible wages.

If Wigan happened to win the lottery instead of City, then we might just see Aguero and the like playing for that team instead.

Football would be more fair if money was less involved, but the fact of the matter is that money is god in football nowadays.

I'd like to see Abramovich just abandon Chelsea and let's see who's gonna pay those sky-high wages. Maybe then Newcastle will have a chance against you guys after half your players defect to other clubs.

Karakand

Porto need to sell a big name player in order to make a profit for the year. They have loads of players on their books, TV revenue and matchday revenue is relatively low too.

Its actually a very dangerous financial model that Porto have adopted. You can see how much money Porto would lose every year if it wasn't for player sales.

3%2BPorto%2BProfit.jpg

BUSINESS needs to conduct BUSINESSACTIVITY to turn a profit? This is some heavy stuff, I think I need to sit down.

Wilbur

Banned
you have 2 options -

hire a dynasty building manager that nurtures a youth system that brings in beckham, 2 nevilles, scholes, giggs, keane, butt, buy a mental french magician, bid for shearer, and when that JT rejects bring in some Norwegian whose name you cant pronounce and win the treble

or get a russian money laundering thief or some arab shiek to buy you out

if you cant do either, you become liverpool and compete for swansea players for the rest of your lives. choices are yours

I love you.

Kyoufu

you have 2 options -

hire a dynasty building manager that nurtures a youth system that brings in beckham, 2 nevilles, scholes, giggs, keane, butt, buy a mental french magician, bid for shearer, and when that JT rejects bring in some Norwegian whose name you cant pronounce and win the treble

or get a russian money laundering thief or some arab shiek to buy you out

if you cant do either, you become liverpool and compete for swansea players for the rest of your lives. choices are yours

Pretty much this.

Lunchbox may piss everyone off but he's right.

:(

That's how I feel about Football anyway. I understand there are passionate fans who don't take anything for granted and are happy with whatever they get, which is great but unfortunately I am a glory seeking bastard who started supporting Newcastle when we were title contenders. :(

I should perhaps learn to accept how things have turned out for us. Maybe I'll sleep easier that way.

Blame the goddamn clubs with sugardaddies of which Chelsea, City and PSG are guilty of.
Blame them for what? Like I said in my post above, Chelsea or City aren't standing in the way of Newcastle (for example) because Newcastle aren't competing at our level (so to speak). These tams stand moreso in the way of the top four team, who realistically, are the only teams that top flight players would go to anyway.

I don't see why you put United and Tottenham up there when both clubs buy players with money earned on the pitch, and not from a third party and actually run their clubs with profit. United may be in debt, but that's a completely different matter that United had nothing to do with.

I'm still hoping FFP can hamper City and Chelsea. I'm actually starting to hate more and more the Chelsea fans who believe that they have a right to any player out there just because their owner is willing to fund it.
And this is absolutely ludicrous. Chelsea fans feel we have "the right" to any player? Any team has the "right" to any player who is willing to play for them for whatever reason they see fit. If a player wants to come for money, so be it. "History", so be it.

Soi-Fong

Pretty much this.

Lunchbox may piss everyone off but he's right.

:(

That's how I feel about Football anyway. I understand there are passionate fans who don't take anything for granted and are happy with whatever they get, which is great but unfortunately I am a glory seeking bastard who started supporting Newcastle when we were title contenders. :(

I should perhaps learn to accept how things have turned out for us. Maybe I'll sleep easier that way.

I kinda hate that you're begging for an oil-rich bastard to take over your club.

You maintained your squad though and brought in a couple of players. Arsenal, Spurs and Liverpool all lost some key talent.

In that regard the transfer window wasn't that bad for you.

In that regard no. My frustration stems on the fact we were actively trying to do business (Luuk de Jong, Debuchy, Douglas etc) but could only complete one of those big deals (Anita). Had we gone into the window with only the intention of keeping our first time together it would have been a success and, to be honest, more than I expected at the start.

As it stands though we did try to improve the first team and in that regard we failed.

Soi-Fong

And this is absolutely ludicrous. Chelsea fans feel we have "the right" to any player? Any team has the "right" to any player who is willing to play for them for whatever reason they see fit. If a player wants to come for money, so be it. "History", so be it.

I mean this for example, with the transfer of Hulk who most Chelsea fans were expecting him to sign, but then out of nowhere signs for Zenit and suddenly tells him to fuck off.

Lunchbox

Banned
I always wonder regarding Fenway Sports Group if they even give a crap about Liverpool.
yeah cause its the owners fault that donkey dalglish wasted a fortune on Carroll, Adams, Downing, Henderson and the Muppet brigade

if a competent manager had that cash, liverpool would be challenging for the title right now. but scousers will never admit that cause they would rather keep KING KENNY'S legacy sacred and rot in the relegation zone

Are you serious? Nobody would have given a shit about City if they didn't win the lottery. Money counts for a lot in football these days. Players went to City for the incredible wages.

If Wigan happened to win the lottery instead of City, then we might just see Aguero and the like playing for that team instead.

Football would be more fair if money was less involved, but the fact of the matter is that money is god in football nowadays.

I'd like to see Abramovich just abandon Chelsea and let's see who's gonna pay those sky-high wages. Maybe then Newcastle will have a chance against you guys after half your players defect to other clubs.
So what? City now attract better players because of the good fortune they happened to have. That doesn't change the fact that every other team who wouldn't have been in the running for top players before are any less in the running for them now.

The only teams who are put out are the bigger teams with less money. United, Arsenal etc. And that's where the real sour grapes come from.

Of course if Wigan got a rich owner they would then compete, but again, that wouldn't change the fact that all their new top signings would never have signed for, let's say Reading, in the first place.

So of course money changes football, but in reality, the smaller teams are probably least effected.

I mean this for example, with the transfer of Hulk who most Chelsea fans were expecting him to sign, but then out of nowhere signs for Zenit and suddenly tells him to fuck off.
Who told Hulk to fuck off? I can't speak for every Chelsea fan, but when I heard Hulk had signed for Zenit I didn't say dick about it. And that's an anecdote for you, but it's as good as yours.

Bollocks. Had a daddy long legs flying about in my room making a racket so I jumped to slap it out the air but clipped the light fixture on my ceiling and knocked it clean out. So now the only source of light I have is my bloody laptop. I can't see a thing :lol

jtb

Banned
I think these days oil is used as a crutch by lazy or greedy chairmen (like Hill-Wood/Kroenke) to justify pulling money out of the club, rather than reinvesting it on the pitch. Fact is, with smart investment, you can continue improving your squad without pulling a Portsmouth or relying on oil money. Not to say that oil money doesn't distort the game, it does... but its effect is overstated. Every year the PL has gotten weaker and weaker, but clubs like United and Arsenal know that they don't really have to worry too much about it since they can cash out while telling the fans "we can't compete in this market."

Arnie

Not in the mood for Lunchbox's trolling anymore so I've sent him to the naughty step. He can go make more cardboard trophies to wave about on a Youtube channel somewhere singing 'glory, glory, man united'.

About to start the second Dark Tower book; I'm well aware that the series degenerates into utter shit but I enjoyed the first book so I'll take it as I go. I'm also in the process of reading Pepe's autobiography, but his recent raft of mistakes have neutralised any urgency to read it over a range of other things on my shelf.

I think these days oil is used as a crutch by lazy or greedy chairmen (like Hill-Wood/Kroenke) to justify pulling money out of the club, rather than reinvesting it on the pitch. Fact is, with smart investment, you can continue improving your squad without pulling a Portsmouth or relying on oil money. Not to say that oil money doesn't distort the game, it does... but its effect is overstated. Every year the PL has gotten weaker and weaker, but clubs like United and Arsenal know that they don't really have to worry too much about it since they can cash out while telling the fans "we can't compete in this market."
Pretty much.

It also bother me when people like Soi-Fong get on their high horse about oil money, when the truth is, if United got bought over tomorrow, he'd hardly lose any sleep over it. Who here would seriously dislike their club to suddenly get a long term injection of money?

Yen

Arnie, I finished the third a few weeks ago. Very good, as is the second. Have a (King) backlog to get through before I continue the series.

WJD

Pretty much.

It also bother me when people like Soi-Fong get on their high horse about oil money, when the truth is, if United got bought over tomorrow, he'd hardly lose any sleep over it. Who here would seriously dislike their club to suddenly get a long term injection of money?

I'd love someone rich to buy us and eradicate all our debt. The ludicrous wage bills, not so much.

Kyoufu

Pretty much.

I would suck John Terry's cock for an oil-rich businessman to buy my club.

Wilbur

Banned
First Bella cheats on Edward then Pogbatrayer leaves Man United for Juve then Kevin Butler does Wii adverts now I'm no longer Wilbury's favourite?!

2012 YEAR OF THE BETRAYER

You're only my favourite when you're in optimistic 'let's troll everyone mood'. Now you're crying over Roman Abramovich! MAN UP KYOUFU

No one cries over Roman Abramovich. The only people that do are yacht salesmen (and that's in pleasure), Andriy Shevchenko and Blablurn.

Not you.

Not my boy.

Until you are in good spirits and trying to persuade Arsenal to sell you Koscielny for £50 million, you are not my boy.

Lightning

Banned
Arsenal's board are a joke. There was no reason for us to finish another transfer with a profit. There is something wrong when this happens year after year. I mean, last season we were saved because RVP and Arteta had fantastic seasons in their respective roles and pulled us up yet we still didn't invest into the club.

I think we finished the window with a pretty strong squad. Not where we want to be but a squad that will allow us to compete with any side in the league. Just not enough depth is the problem for me.

Pretty much.

Obv. I wouldn't say no to the money but there are some things about the way these rich business men go about their business which I would hate to have at my club.

For example the way Roman sacks managers. I'd hate that.

Of course, if my club weren't going to really be winning too many things and stuck under a glass ceiling the way Chelsea were, I'd take it. But luckily for me, my club are fortunate enough to be able to be successful without that double edged sword - though of course we now have another problem of our own.

It's one thing to say everything about "oil money" is evil. But it is definitely not all good either.

Arnie

Arnie, I finished the third a few weeks ago. Very good, as is the second. Have a (King) backlog to get through before I continue the series.

Good stuff, the first one really struck a chord with me, so I'm looking forward to continuing. Started a book called 'Great Apes' by Will Self the other day but his writing style really wasn't for me. Too abstract.

Kyoufu

Obv. I wouldn't say no to the money but there are some things about the way these rich business men go about their business which I would hate to have at my club.

Of course, if my club weren't going to really be winning too many things and stuck under a glass ceiling the way Chelsea were, I'd take it. But luckily for me, my club are fortunate enough to be able to be successful without that double edged sword - though of course we now have another problem of our own.

It's one thing to say everything about "oil money" is evil. But it is definitely not all good either.

SAF is one of a kind though. Once SAF retires you'll be sacking managers left and right. Don't you doubt it.

I'd love someone rich to buy us and eradicate all our debt. The ludicrous wage bills, not so much.

I would suck John Terry's cock for an oil-rich businessman to buy my club.
Kyoufu, it really isn't that ridiculous to hope this would happen to Newcastle, nor would it be for any team. City and Chelsea fans know how lucky we are.

Let's get some perspective here though, Newcastle were in the Championship in the 09/10 season. They've done incredibly well to get back up and have a season like 11/12. Newcastle have more then been competitive relatively speaking. If anything, they've dominated.

Now I know that doesn't change the fact that you aren't pushing for Champions League or Premiership titles. And yes, that's what every team wants to be doing. But Newcastle are doing alright for themselves.

You're assuming that every oil rich owner is going to have a trigger finger on power with Roman's.

I would never suggest that oil money is all good. I just can't abide this idea that it stifles everybody else. Because it most definitely doesn't, it just helps the particular lucky team go toe to toe with the big boys. The other teams are just as they were.

Kyoufu, it really isn't that ridiculous to hope this would happen to Newcastle, nor would it be for any team. City and Chelsea fans know how lucky we are.

Let's get some perspective here though, Newcastle were in the Championship in the 09/10 season. They've done incredibly well to get back up and have a season like 11/12. Newcastle have more then been competitive relatively speaking. If anything, they've dominated.

Now I know that doesn't change the fact that you aren't pushing for Champions League or Premiership titles. And yes, that's what every team wants to be doing. But Newcastle are doing alright for themselves.

Hell yes we are.

SAF is one of a kind though. Once SAF retires you'll be sacking managers left and right. Don't you doubt it.
And if we do I will hate it and I won't pretend I don't or try to cover it up.

The club has certain traditions and a legacy which defines it. If a rich businessman wanted to buy the club and sacrifice all of it - id rather he didn't.

Because then it isn't the same club.

Wilbur

Banned
If we don't give any new manager time I'll fucking flip. I don't expect us to win titles immediately when Fergie's gone if we go for someone like Moyes. I see a few years of third and fourth for sure but the replacement has to be told that it won't lose him his job if he can only make third, fourth, fifth. It's going to be the most daunting task in football to replace Fergie. If Mourinho comes in, we could have immediate success but it won't be long term.

Arnie

I see a few years of third and fourth for sure but the replacement has to be told that it won't lose him his job if he can only make third, fourth, fifth.

We're talking about Manchester United fans here. Gone are the days where three years without a title challenge are acceptable for the club.

Wilbur

Banned
We're talking about Manchester United fans here. Gone are the days where three years without a title challenge are acceptable for the club.

I would hope that the majority of them would understand that it's Alex Ferguson who is leaving.

Having said that, they probably won't.

Arnie

I would hope that the majority of them would understand that it's Alex Ferguson who is leaving.

They definitely won't.

Overwhelming pragmatism and understanding doesn't often preside in majorities, let alone within football communities, let alone Manchester United.

Its very difficult to judge.

United fans demand absolute success today largely because of Ferguson himself. That's the standard he sets throughout the club and the fans have bought into that.

When he leaves it will just be such a drastic change that there is no way of knowing what will happen or how people will react.

K1LLER7

Its very difficult to judge.

United fans demand absolute success today largely because of Ferguson himself. That's the standard he sets throughout the club and the fans have bought into that.

When he leaves it will just be such a drastic change that there is no way of knowing what will happen or how people will react.
yeah, a lot of it is depending on the team Fergie leaves behind and the manager United bring in, it'll most likely dictate what most fans would expect.

The new manager will most likely introduce a new playing style and have the players adapt to that which will definitely take time. AVB is an example of that both at Chelsea and now at Spurs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom