• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2012/13 |OT3| Two-sided triangles

Status
Not open for further replies.

elsk

Banned
fade to mediocrity?

you wont get out of the group stages of the CL without ronnie. still qualify though because how shit the spanish league is

The league is boring because of Barcelona and Real Madrid, but the league has great teams. Valencia, Atlético Madrid, Athletic (last season, at least), Malaga all are good quality sides.

I remember Athletic eliminating Manchester Utd in the Europa League last season.

And what's up with that "ronnie"?

elsk

Banned
There's conmebol qualifiers on friday. Uruguay and Colombia don't defend so it should be good. usually is for the neutral anyway

Meh, I don't really like international football that much. I even prefer youth (U17, U20, U23, etc) international football.

Lunchbox

Banned
Yes, and Man United have also lost a CL final since Ronaldo left. I guess this is evidence of their slide towards mediocrity.

Also, Zidane didn;t help Juventus to any CL title anyway.

if you look at the current man utd yes, yes it is. If fergie leaves, this team struggles to stay in the top 4. and zidane left juventus right when he hit his prime. imagine him playing in the final in 03

you cant replace players of that caliber, real madrid will be set back at least 5 years if Ronaldo leaves. it will be back to that 05-09 era team full of dutch bumble fucks

The whole team is built around him

elsk

Banned
if you look at the current man utd yes, yes it is. If fergie leaves, this team struggles to stay in the top 4. and zidane left juventus right when he hit his prime. imagine him playing in the final in 03

you cant replace players of that caliber, real madrid will be set back at least 5 years if Ronaldo leaves.

The whole team is built around him

He's good but he is replaceable. Is like Ribéry leaving Bayern, it would hurt at first but you could still replace him... or someone else in the team would get the "spotlight" just like Arsenal did when Cesc left and RvP took the main role.

Players like Messi, Schweinsteiger, Xavi are irreplaceable. They add so much to any team.

AndresON777

shooting blanks
Meh, I don't really like international football that much. I even prefer youth (U17, U20, U23, etc) international football.

Yeah club football is light years better but I still like international football as long as there's players I like

look at this cherubic face

35661_ori_james_rodriguez.jpg

FootballFan

Madrid would not be set back 5 years if they let Ronaldo go, Mourinho won CL without Ronaldo twice already. All they would do is go crazy and buy Aguero, Silva, Cleverly, Falcao etc until they fill the gap Ronaldo would leave behind. And he is not leaving anyway.

elsk

Banned
Madrid would not be set back 5 years if they let Ronaldo go, Mourinho won CL without Ronaldo twice already. All they would do is go crazy and buy Aguero, Silva, Falcao etc until they fill the gap Ronaldo would leave behind. And he is not leaving anyway.

Exactly.

Lunchbox

Banned
He's good but he is replaceable. Is like Ribéry leaving Bayern, it would hurt at first but you could still replace him... or someone else in the team would get the "spotlight" just like Arsenal did when Cesc left and RvP took the main role.

Players like Messi, Schweinsteiger, Xavi are irreplaceable. They add so much to any team.
oh so schweinsteiger is irreplaceable, but christiano fucking ronaldo is dime a dozen

who in the madrid team right now comes into the spotlight and replaces the player that plays on the wing, plays up front, scores free kicks, headers, in the box, outside the box and models underwear.

who in the world can do that right now that madrid will bring in to do those things. name a player, other than andy carroll

elsk

Banned
oh so schweinsteiger is irreplaceable, but christiano fucking ronaldo is dime a dozen

who in the madrid team right now comes into the spotlight and replaces the player that plays on the wing, plays up front, scores free kicks, headers, in the box, outside the box and models underwear.

who in the world can do that right now that madrid will bring in to do those things. name a player, other than andy carroll

Yeah for me, Schweinsteiger is way more important for a team than Cristiano Ronaldo. He moves the whole team, you can tell the difference when Schweinsteiger is playing (in form) and when he isn't playing... the team is completely different.

CR7 is a winger, I would think Ozil is more important since he's the #10 of the team. Sure, Cristiano scores a lot of goals, but if he's gone another player (or players) will score those goals.

Robben 09/10 never came back, and he was practically what Cristiano Ronaldo is for RM and still the team managed get even better now without that Robben.

FootballFan

Like I already said, they wouldn't buy 1 player to replace him, they would strengthen the whole team. No more Arbeloa, a better right back. David Silva in for Di Maria, Aguero in for Ronaldo, Falcao in for Bennz, Cleverly in for Ozil etc something along those lines. Then having players like Ozil, Benz, Di Maria, Arbeloa etc on the bench would make them an extremely strong squad.

Im just naming names, probably can think of better players but mainly explaining what they would most likely do.

Smeghead

Zidane sale allowed for 2 of Juve's best purchases, Buffon and Nedved. Not to mention Thuram and Trez.

I'd sell him a million times over if I had the choice.

Hardly mediocrity.

Lunchbox

Banned
Madrid would not be set back 5 years if they let Ronaldo go, Mourinho won CL without Ronaldo twice already. All they would do is go crazy and buy Aguero, Silva, Cleverly, Falcao etc until they fill the gap Ronaldo would leave behind. And he is not leaving anyway.

just like how they brought in Robben, Van der vaart, sneijder, Huntelaar to replace Zidane

that worked out for them.

these are once in a generation players. you cant replace them with a bunch of random names

elsk

Banned
Like I already said, they wouldn't buy 1 player to replace him, they would strengthen the whole team. No more Arbeloa, a better right back. David Silva in for Di Maria, Aguero in for Ronaldo, Falcao in for Bennz, Cleverly in for Ozil etc something along those lines. Then having players like Ozil, Benz, Di Maria, Arbeloa etc on the bench would make them an extremely strong squad.

Are you on crack?

Lunchbox

Banned
Zidane sale allowed for 2 of Juve's best purchases, Buffon and Nedved. Not to mention Thuram and Trez.

I'd sell him a million times over if I had the choice.

Hardly mediocrity.

what did you win with those guys? a bunch of match fixed scudettos and a promotion to Serie B? well done.

Madrid recouped your money in a season with shirt sales and were the team everyone envied in 2002

Wilbur

Banned
Yeah for me, Schweinsteiger is way more important for a team than Cristiano Ronaldo. He moves the whole team, you can tell the difference when Schweinsteiger is playing (in form) and when he isn't playing... the team is completely different.

CR7 is a winger, I would think Ozil is more important since he's the #10 of the team. Sure, Cristiano scores a lot of goals, but if he's gone another player (or players) will score those goals.

Robben 09/10 never came back, and he was practically what Cristiano Ronaldo is for RM and still the team managed get even better now without that Robben.

Gotta say I completely disagree with your midfield paragraph. Ronaldo isn't just a winger, nor is he automatically less important to Madrid because he doesn't play in the '10' role. He's an individual that scored 60 goals for his club last season. That's been done what, twice? Once by Muller, once by Messi. It's a phenomenal, phenomenal stat. You take him out of Real Madrid and replace him with a lesser player and the stats will probably still stay relatively equal because they are a very good team. But 60 goals isn't 10 goals here and there that another player could make up. It's 60 goals.

jtb

Banned

Im just naming names, probably can think of better players but mainly explaining what they would most likely do.

Thing is Ronaldo is the best wide player in the world by a ridiculously wide margin. Silva is shit on the wing, Aguero can't play on the wing, Cleverly... lmao, not even going to touch that one. And Arbeloa is a solid right back, certainly fits the way Mourinho plays. Just about every position Madrid are already fantastic; selling Ronaldo is just going to set them back hugely, no matter how much "depth" they have because there's very very few players who can just produce brilliance on demand consistently, and will always be able to draw defenders out because of the threat they know he is. Plus, replacing Ronaldo himself is not easy... you'd basically have to dip back for Robben, a shittier, more predictable, injury prone downgrade. If you can replace him with other world class talents like Buffon, Nedvev, then great. But those types of players aren't available.

That + having shit manager/management structure is a big reason why Madrid underperformed during that era.

FootballFan

Are you on crack?

lol I was kidding. :)

And wow so many people have grey names in that thread.. odd morsel, we look forward to your return, but my advice is before posting a comment, even if you think it might get remotely seen as ban worthy just don't bother.

lol I was kidding. :)

And wow so many people have grey names in that thread.. odd morsel, we look forward to your return. :lol

I don't understand what people hope to gain by saying anything other than 'terrible, I hope he's caught and action taken.' I could smell the bans from reading the thread title.

elsk

Banned
Gotta say I completely disagree with your midfield paragraph. Ronaldo isn't just a winger, nor is he automatically less important to Madrid because he doesn't play in the '10' role. He's an individual that scored 60 goals for his club last season. That's been done what, twice? Once by Muller, once by Messi. It's a phenomenal, phenomenal stat. You take him out of Real Madrid and replace him with a lesser player and the stats will probably still stay relatively equal because they are a very good team. But 60 goals isn't 10 goals here and there that another player could make up. It's 60 goals.

Of course, but the team would still work. Could you say the same about Barcelona without Messi? I doubt it. I think a player like Messi, Xavi, Schweinsteiger are more important not because of goals but because of how they make the team work in a special way.

Gomez scored a lot of goals the last two seasons and still I would rather have someone like Mandzukic who may not score half of the goals Gomez could score but he adds much more to the system and to the way of how the team works.

Wilbur

Banned
Downplaying the seriousness of sexual assault in a mod's eyes:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=489891&page=5

Yeah, morsel wasn't careful there.

Having said that, there's two people on that last page that, if they were banned for the comments in that thread, shouldn't be banned at all. Someone's been a bit over eager I think. Lots of deserved bannings, but someone saying 'there's some unnecessary bannings' and getting banned for that is ludicrous.

jtb

Banned
Yeah, morsel wasn't careful there.

Having said that, there's two people on that last page that, if they were banned for the comments in that thread, shouldn't be banned at all. Someone's been a bit over eager I think. Lots of deserved bannings, but someone saying 'there's some unnecessary bannings' and getting banned for that is ludicrous.

backseat modding is bannable offense, I think. So that's probably the reason. (Plus, they're probably implying they agree with the banned viewpoints downplaying harassment, which obviously isn't good either)

Done more in the game recently than long-term septum-damager Wilshere.

Can't wait for a Diaby-Wilshere permacrocked first choice midfield to pass triangles around Cleverley and the city of Manchester.

Ah good point; I didn't read it that way, and I guess the mods didn't either.

Hope this doesn't count as backseat modding, but I'd be interested to see how an appeal system could work, given the number of people who've claimed to have been banned for a misunderstanding

1) Accept your punishment
2) Appeal, another mod takes over. Frivolous appeal gets double the ban-time

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom