• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2012/13 |OT3| Two-sided triangles

Status
Not open for further replies.

Meier

I recommend Tiny Telephone by The Sunday Drivers. Great album.

I'll add it to my rdio queue. They must not have much of a presence in the US.. no wiki entry as far as I can tell!

Edit: Looks like they're from Spain. I'm guessing they sing in English though?

Premierleague moves one step closer to domestic FFP

As many as 17 Premier League teams are in favor of introducing financial control measures in an effort to prevent soccer’s richest league from operating with losses, West Ham co-owner David Gold said in an interview.

Representatives of the English top division’s 20 teams met today in London to discuss the possibility of adding rules requiring fiscal restraint. A briefing document outlining a range of potential proposals, including limits to wage bill raises or a break-even clause, was handed out.

UEFA, European soccer’s governing body, has already created so-called Financial Fair Play regulations that aim to punish clubs that spend beyond their means from 2014. English soccer’s second-tier Championship division has also introduced fiscal controls. At least 14 member teams must agree to proposals before they can be brought in by the Premier League.

“I think that there are 14 clubs that are ready for change,” Gold said in an interview after the meeting at the Bloomsbury Hotel in London. “I think there are more. I think there are as many as 17 clubs.”

English soccer’s elite teams have record revenue, yet much of it is spent on players’ salaries. Twelve Premier League teams operated at a loss, according to the most recent filings.

Teams including Chelsea and Manchester City have been fuelled to success on the back of lavish spending by billionaire owners. Months after City announced a record loss of $311 million pounds ($495 million) for the year ended May 31, 2011, Sergio Aguero, a striker purchased for 38 million pounds, scored an injury time winner that delivered the team its first league title since 1968.

“There’ll be a few who this won’t suit but you’ve got to say what’s in the best interest of the league as a whole,” said Gold, who with business partner David Sullivan, took over West Ham in January 2010 after its former Icelandic owner went bankrupt. “Some will vote against what we’re trying to achieve, but the vast majority supports some form of control that’s in the best interests of not just the football clubs but the family which includes the fans.”

Two Groups
The group will meet again to discuss the issue at the end of the month. Before that, two groups each with executives from 10 clubs will discuss the options in more detail.
The Premier League previously strengthened financial rules in 2010 following the bankruptcy of Portsmouth. They include provisions like proof that tax liabilities have been paid, debts to rivals teams are accounted for and proof owners have the wealth to run teams.

Clubs such as Manchester United and Liverpool are in favor of rules similar to UEFA’s.
Manchester United Chief Executive Officer David Gill said in an interview last week that all Premier League teams should be able to break even in light of a record 3 billion-pound domestic television rights contract announced in June.

“If you look at it, we’ve got financial regulations in the league below us, the Championship, and the competition above us, the Champions League, so we need to do it,” Gill said. “The Premier League being the best league in the world, the most commercially effective league in the world, I think there’s a real opportunity to introduce some sensible rules that effectively improve and enhance the long term or medium term financial stability.”

Opponents of financial controls in the Premier League, which include Fulham, argue that the regulations would put English teams at a disadvantage to those playing in rival leagues.

#basedglazers

Salvadora

Diaby's physical trainer for past 4 months talks
after 8 min mark.
Basically, he said the following:
- Diaby had massive muscular imbalance issues and the rehab at Arsenal was not done well (implied on second part).
- Diaby had one leg that was a footballer's and another leg that was fit for a 10 year old (exact quote).
- The last 3 months were spent to strengthen his injured areas and regain proper balance.
- Also spent a lot of time working on getting the body to release the scar tissue from his injuries, which created irritation, and to reestablish proper flexibility in those areas.

This trainer was the one who trained Diaby during his only injury-free season (2009-2010). After that, Arsenal wanted Diaby to use the club's training and recovery methods (because they're cheap). Only in the last 4 months did Diaby request and receive authorization to return to this trainer.
Translation from a French video.
http://video.lequipe.fr/video/football/foot-and-co-diaby-peut-on-croire-en-lui/?sig=b9c51839e5cs
http://goallegacy.forumotion.com/t24365-diaby-s-physical-trainer-for-past-4-months-talks
I don't know who to blame regarding this but I'm fucking angry. Knew something was up with our injuries. That's not even taking into account our high level of long term injuries.
Since the year 2002, Arsenal have had the highest average amount of injuries per calender year: 67. That's over 10 more than Manchester United who average 56 per season

Salvadora

Who knows what has gone on with other players who've been injured for long periods. AFCCAMDEN said Van Persie brought his own trainer in. Don't forget that was before he finished the whole season without injury.

jtb

Banned
Diaby stuff is completely unsurprising. Probably similar stories with RVP. The good news is Diaby looks completely fresh (one might even suggest he looks to be like a new signing) and RVP went the whole season without injury, so maybe there is hope for Jack too? We'll have to see how carefully he was rehabilitated.

Meier

Cool! One of my favorite albums of the 90s is called Isola from a Swedish band named Kent. For a period, they put out their albums in English as well as Swedish, but they didn't really catch on and abandoned the English versions. :(

G17

He did not mention Arsenal once in the Diaby video. As for our over 30 policies.. Rosicky and Arteta have nice deals I would say.

Messi

tumblr_m5wljmtWLn1qf7kqjo6_250.gif

Cameo from Carles Puyol? In the ass?

jtb

Banned
He did not mention Arsenal once in the Diaby video. As for our over 30 policies.. Rosicky and Arteta have nice deals I would say.

Rosicky was offered/signed a one year extension I thought? And Arteta wouldn't apply since he signed a long contract when he transferred.

Salvadora

Cameo from Carles Puyol? In the ass?

the talent agent claims: “The video lasts about 15 minutes….it’s filmed with a cell phone, which I guess, belonged to Shakira’s employee who was at the helm of the boat that night. The images are not steady and it’s out of focus.”
Sounds arousing.

Facism

love how footballers get away with driving offences. Next up, Andre Santos will have the government pay for his insurance.

Garjon

love how footballers get away with driving offences. Next up, Andre Santos will have the government pay for his insurance.

It's not just footballers; pretty much any decent lawyer in this country will get you off on a technicality or on some loophole in the law.

elsk

Banned
I can't keep this straight, but I thought you didn't like Muller, elsk?

He was terrible last season but mostly because Gomez was playing as striker so he had to limit himself to a supporter role. He was also crying about being benched every now and then last season when he was doing nothing for the team. But he's awesome again thanks to Mandzukic :)

El Shaarawy scored 2 goals and served 1 assist in the U21 match earlier today. I really hope that this will help him to gain some more confidence, he badly need it: he's talented, but he has to be more cynical.

No one watching the Germany U19 vs England U19 game?

It's really a nightmare to be dropped from the Spurs squad, I'm guessing he will get the same treatment as Gio Dos Santos.

Dos Santos' parents came to apologise to Redknapp for his lack of professionalism.

Feorax

Apparently whilst Lucas is injured, Rodgers is going to be sending him out to matches with his analyst to do some scouting.

Future captain? I reckon so.

Empty

Apparently Rodgers invited a group of fan sites/groups to Melwood today for an hour long session.

Dat PR.

he's very smart at these things isn't he.

honigstein mentioned this on twitter - the way rodgers made all the media coverage post the arsenal result about carroll/dempsey and spending instead of the teams poor performance was masterful.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom