• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2012/13 |OT6| Mumei almost banned EVERYBODY (but just Wilbury)

Diablos54

The whole management does, not 1 man. Plus, if they didn't have the money, they wouldn't win. So money should deserve a medal here.
I'm not saying it's just 1 man. But there is 1 man who chooses the team, who gives the team talks, who (Depending on the club) buys the players, chooses the tactics. Some teams fall apart if their manager is suspended in the stands, why would that happen if the manager didn't matter? There's a reason why United have been so consistent during the last few decades, and that reason is Sir Alex Ferguson. To say managers don't matter is an insult to all he's done in his managerial career.

Why has Madrid come along so far under Jose if managers didn't matter? Why is Arsenal consistently in the top 4, despite the fact they've sold their best players over the last few years? Why does Liverpool suck since Rafa left?

Wilbur

Banned
I can introduce a new system and motivate some players.

If we win, I'm a good manager

If we don't, I suck.

That's it. That's life.

Yeah, that's correct. How does that mean managers don't matter? If your system you introduce doesn't work, you've done something wrong. If it does work, you've done something right.

Diablos54

If they get something right, it doesn't mean they are good. They got lucky and won.

LOL. Are you fucking serious? All good managers are just lucky? Really? Lucky is Arsenal winning today. Lucky is not Mancini bring Dzeko on near the end of the match last week and him winning the match for City, that's good management.

confuziz

Banned
Look at all the teams in Italy. They change managers three times in one season and it never works out.

It's because the players suck, not the managers.

Az

LOL. Are you fucking serious? All good managers are just lucky? Really? Lucky is Arsenal winning today. Lucky is not Mancini bring Dzeko on near the end of the match last week and him winning the match for City, that's good management.

Yea no. That was luck too.

Wilbur

Banned
Look at all the teams in Italy. They change managers three times in one season and it never works out.

The reason it never works out is because they change managers three times a season and don't give them time to implement new systems.

bud

3LylB.gif

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
Sunderland didn't have a shot on target today and have had just 12 all season.

Garjon

Yeah that's true :lol

I thought RDR was one of the most boring games I've ever played. Come at me.

THANK YOU. It's such a shame too but it seemed like Rockstar spent 98% of the development time on creating the gameworld but only realised at the last second that they were making a game and so filled it with any shit they could think of.

Mumei

Is Mumei still actually watching football?

Now that I have infiltrated there is no longer a need.
ipD8y9xtjEkKZ.jpg

Yes, I am. I'm not watching as many games, though; I've been reading more and watching other things (Mad Men, Oz, trying things at the beginning of a new anime season) the last few weeks and the games are a rather considerable time investment!

Now that I have infiltrated there is no longer a need.
ipD8y9xtjEkKZ.jpg

Yes, I am. I'm not watching as many games, though; I've been reading more and watching other things (Mad Men, Oz, trying things at the beginning of a new anime season) the last few weeks and the games are a rather considerable time investment!

Watch the Merseyside derby tomorrow. Low in quality, high in atmosphere and lols

Wilbur

Banned
One said they gotta defend more, the other one didn't agree.

You couldn't have said that yourself to the players?

Player selection, transfers, fitness regimes, diet plans, playing youth and reserves, choosing who to keep and not, substitutions, tactics, systems, motivation to individual players.

Reasons why Manchester United and Arsenal have been at the top of the English game so consistently.

Diablos54

Yep, perfect example of how managers matter. AVB tried to overhaul the squad, failed. RDM stuck with a well known system the team is used to playing, won the CL. And now is molding the team into his own image and is doing very well. It's almost as if changing manager really helped the team. How could this be possible is managers didn't matter?

confuziz

Banned
Player selection, transfers, fitness regimes, diet plans, playing youth and reserves, choosing who to keep and not, substitutions, tactics, systems, motivation to individual players.

Reasons why Manchester United and Arsenal have been at the top of the English game so consistently.

Okay.

So if United had the same budget as Reading they would still be on top?

Diablos54

Okay.

So if United had the same budget as Reading they would be on top too?
WTF? We're not talking about money, we're talking about managers. I'm willing to bet that Reading would be doing better than they are now if SAF was their manager. Same way United wouldn't be as good if, say, Neil Warnock was their manager.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso

It can be both, like with Roma. Or the players, like with Inter.

Our backline, with the exception of Lich, was basically the same shit defense that conceded a record breaking amount of goals. Conte came and made it the best defense in Europe!

Alucard

Banned
Happy to see Arsenal get the 3 points, but really dissatisfied with their play overall. They just don't feel like a cohesive unit with the way players frequently run out of position or how guys sometimes pass to no one in particular.

Wilbur

Banned
It can be both, like with Roma. Or the players, like with Inter.

Our backline, with the exception of Lich, was basically the same shit defense that conceded a record breaking amount of goals. Conte came and made it the best defense in Europe!

You see Zeman had another little pop at Agnelli?

Wilbur

Banned
AS Roma manager Zdenek Zeman has accused Juventus and the Agnelli family of failing to reform Italian football while they had the game "in their hands for 20 years".

Juventus president Andrea Agnelli said on Friday that Italian football was in need of drastic reform if it was to reverse a dramatic decline at domestic level during which it lost its fourth Champions League place to Germany.

Zeman, who has been frequently critical of Juventus, resumed hostilities by suggesting that the Turin club should have looked to reform Italian football while they were in charge of the game.

"Agnelli said that the system of Italian football is going through a period of rapid decline. I think he's right, there is need for reform, a need to improve," Zeman told reporters in the leadup to Roma's match with Udinese on Sunday (1945 GMT).

"The thing is that it's something that everyone says, meanwhile it's another thing altogether that they (the Agnellis) had football in their hands for 20 years and there was all the time needed to make those improvements."

Agnelli said Italian football was in need of drastic reform on Friday, saying that the present structure was like a local sports club and not appropriate for a multi-million euro business.

"We support a structural reform of professional football ... those who don't condemn Italy to being marginalised in Europe and the world," he told a Juventus shareholders' meeting.

"Reform of the league, the number of professional clubs and the youth sector. Reform of the status of professional sports, currently governed by a law from 1981 - trademark protection, stadium regulations.

"Comprehensive reform of sporting justice, which cannot deal with investments worth millions of euros as though they were a dispute in a local sports club."

Top Bottom