• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2013/14 |ot21| Get a refund.

Status
Not open for further replies.

wedward

interesting video on how to make your own distressed jeans.
gzdtIVu.png

She forgot the scissors.

LegoArmo

I was mainly asking because LvG likes to play DMs as CBs. But I think you're safe.

I hear he likes ball playing centre backs, and a left footed player on the left. I think he'll like Jonny Evans and Phil Jones.

United should probably buy a Vidic replacement, but I don't think it's the end of the world if they don't. Their centre backs are often left completely exposed by the midfield and left fullback, improving those should change popular opinion about the other defenders.

I was mainly asking because LvG likes to play DMs as CBs. But I think you're safe.

Evans is good with the ball. If he prefers someone like Hummels, he'll like Evans. Smalling isn't good with the ball, while Jones is only slightly better. I feel Smalling is underrated as a cb due to him constantly embarrassing himself at rb. He's been better than Jones for example and nobody rates him better than Jones.

Obviously none of these guys are as good as Rio, Vidic, or Stam in their primes. They're solid though. If a cb is bought, the new manager needs to make he's absolute quality as numbers aren't a priority.

Elchele

Yeah, the CBs are basically the ones initiating the play. They have to be good passers and one has to be RCB and other LCB (left footed). Doesn't matter if they are shit on the rest of things

I still remember this beauty:

Kraft
Lahm - Tymo - Badstuber - Luiz Gustavo
Pranjic - Ottl
Altintop - Schweinsteiger - Ribéry
Gomez

Huge part of defending is tactics and organisation anyway.

Yep. Both of those things doesn't exist to LvG. :lol

Clegg

Jones was looking quite decent in few centre back appearances this season. But then he kept breaking himself a couple of games after.

Van Gaal would like Thorpe over Keane. Thorpe can play it out from the back and isn't afraid to dribble up the field when there is space and no one to pass to. It's a shame he's being hampered with injuries.

Keane gets all the hype because he's able to score goals out on loan and for England u21 matches.

LegoArmo

Van Gaal would like Thorpe over Keane. Thorpe can play it out from the back and isn't afraid to dribble up the field when there is space and no one to pass to. It's a shame he's being hampered with injuries.

Keane gets all the hype because he's able to score goals out on loan and for England u21 matches.

I want Stones from Everton, he's like Jones, but with a brain, and not shit.

I hope our next cb that is bought is in the Stam and Vidic murder mold.

Lol. I much prefer the Arsenal CB's to the tripe at United.

It would have been a joke to consider Arsenal having the better cbs last season. I think I agree with your opinion after this season. Merte has been solid, and while Koscielny has had some errors, he's been better than any of our cbs.

LegoArmo

Lol. I much prefer the Arsenal CB's to the tripe at United.

I checked your squad on your website, and you literally do only have 3 first team centre backs. That seems like a bad idea. Especially when one of them is Verm.

Your defence has looked good on occasion in the last season or so, but it's most of the same players who looked hopeless just prior to that. Similarly to the United lot, poor performances could be down to other factors, like no midfield protection, or lack of decent defensive coaching. I wouldn't be quick to give up on the younger guys at United.

K1LLER7

I hope our next cb that is bought is in the Stam and Vidic murder mold.

It would have been a joke to consider Arsenal having the better cbs last season. I think I agree with your opinion after this season. Merte has been solid, and while Koscielny has had some errors, he's been better than any of our cbs.
Yeah, Jonny is similar to Rio who was good on the ball and played as a sweeper to Vidic who would harder hitting defender.

Would love to have Garay. Been impressed by his performances in the EL.

Elchele

I checked your squad on your website, and you literally do only have 3 first team centre backs. That seems like a bad idea. Especially when one of them is Verm.

Your defence has looked good on occasion in the last season or so, but it's most of the same players who looked hopeless just prior to that. Similarly to the United lot, poor performances could be down to other factors, like no midfield protection, or lack of decent defensive coaching. I wouldn't be quick to give up on the younger guys at United.

I remember Arsenal's defense to be a huge mess a couple of seasons ago. It has got better, hasn't it? I've only watched Arsenal in the CL and like 3 EPL matches, so my 'vision' is limited

We went thru this season with only 3 CBs. One of them being Daniel van Buyten.

LegoArmo

I like the look of Garay, would definitely be a good option, and not too expensive.

Plus, set piece goals can be vital, see Skrtel at Liverpool this season. Evans, Jones and Smalling aren't exactly beasts in the air, Smalling should be, but I don't know, he's busy trying to badly emulate the already terrible crossing of Valencia.

Lightning

Banned

Arsenal have 16 clean sheets so far this season and when you factor in those 4 shit games where Wenger's tactics were up the poo and we conceded heavily we have been incredibly consistent in the other 33 games and thats with Arteta's aging protection. Vermaelen is a weak point, but he does an okay job, he hasn't been terrible this season when he's played. Sagna is the 4th emergency CB but he's now gone.

Arsenal's defence has become quite reliable since Bould took over from Pat Rice. Depth is needed but the main guys are very good imo.

United's defence is okay for the most part. Left back a known issue, solid centre back pairing another issue and Rafael injuries have been an issue. You need a back 4 that plays,together more often.

LegoArmo

Shawcross, innit.

Arsenal have 16 clean sheets so far this season and when you factor in those 4 shit games where Wenger's tactics were up the poo and we conceded heavily we have been incredibly consistent in the other 33 games and thats with Arteta's aging protection. Vermaelen is a weak point, but he does an okay job, he hasn't been terrible this season when he's played. Sagna is the 4th emergency CB but he's now gone.

Arsenal's defence has become quite reliable since Bould took over from Pat Rice. Depth is needed but the main guys are very good imo.

United's defence is okay for the most part. Left back a known issue, solid centre back pairing another issue and Rafael injuries have been an issue. You need a back 4 that plays,together more often.

I am impressed with the amount of control, and calm Arsenal display in defence in most games, then equally perplexed when Wenger's tactics let the top teams tear you apart.

I definitely agree United need to have a first choice back 4, that plays together, more often than not. I think the raw talent is there, and with a new coach (and hopefully his own staff), it's a new start.

pulga

Banned
why are United fans in here throbbing over Bayern players?

That just means you'll be easier to beat once the time for La Onceava comes around
Uus4Plt.png

Wilbur

Banned
Moyes has killed you inside.

but you and suen returning from the deepest recesses of the Pyrakip has resurrected me

SAVE ME RA'S AL GHUL, YOU'RE MY ONLY HOPE

wait r2, play that message again! it was a woman!

c3po do you know what that means?

someone go get crazy old ben

no luke

i am your father

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom