• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2013/14 |ot21| Get a refund.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Salazar

HFhxGTA.jpg

Lightning

Banned
Who cares whether Shaw is worth 27m or not. He is worth that to United and they can more than afford it.

People forget how much money United have.
I don't care. Just responding to a post. Just like I don't care about Ozil's price as I believe it was worth it. Many don't, I do. When it comes to value opinions will differ greatly.

GorillaJu

United aren't in a position to be pinching every penny they can out of a deal. They'll know that without CL football this year, wages are going to be the primary selling factor for any players they sign. And the fact that they have gobs of cash means clubs will work them over for the highest fees possible.

Lightning

Banned
I would rather buy Shaw at 27mil than Ozil.
Not in Arsenal's position. Ozil lifted the entire club and it showed this season. We are Hull away from ending this annoying trophy drought and if we didn't have Ozil I doubt we would be.

Besides, Arsenal have the LB position over stocked.

Salazar

I don't imagine we care a great deal about his value rising. We're buying him to keep him.

Anderson must be a bit gutted about coming back to Manchester.

GorillaJu

I would rather buy Shaw at 27mil than Ozil.

Depends on what your team needs. If I were United I'd want both, but at neither of the asking prices. 27m is overpaying for Shaw, just as 40m was overpaying for Ozil. Could be worse though – they are both class players.

You could find yourself buying Carroll and Downing for a combined 55m. Dear god. We actually paid 55m for Carroll and Downing.

Meier

Porto-GAF: Any news on your end about Fernando? Seems there a lot of rumors that we'll announce his signing very soon.

jtb

Banned
was 40m really overpaying for Ozil? before this season, most would have agreed that he was Madrid's second best player. even if he's not suited to the Premier League, he certainly had the reputation and ability to warrant a 40m transfer fee.

I wouldn't say 27m is overpaying for Shaw either, but you're buying potential + the entire prime of his career. a potentially world class left back playing for your club almost their entire career? 27m is definitely the going rate for young players on the cusp of stardom

Lightning, I don't agree that left backs have limited value. if anything, the full backs are more important now than ever, especially with everyone playing 4-2-3-1. look at Dani Alves in Barcelona—he was a key player in Guardiola's system because he provided that width and incision

sohois

Seems O Jogo or some Portuguese newspaper has claimed that Utd have lost interest in Will Carvalho - apparently scouts stopped attending his matches once Moyes left.

The new front runner? Liverpool.

Would be pretty amusing if that happened, though I'm not sure if he's really worth his buyout clause.

Lightning

Banned
was 40m really overpaying for Ozil? before this season, most would have agreed that he was Madrid's second best player. even if he's not suited to the Premier League, he certainly had the reputation and ability to warrant a 40m transfer fee.

I wouldn't say 27m is overpaying for Shaw either, but you're buying potential + the entire prime of his career. a potentially world class left back playing for your club almost their entire career? 27m is definitely the going rate for young players on the cusp of stardom

Lightning, I don't agree that left backs have limited value. if anything, the full backs are more important now than ever, especially with everyone playing 4-2-3-1. look at Dani Alves in Barcelona—he was a key player in Guardiola's system because he provided that width and incision
On Ozil, his price was perfect. Proven and heading into the peak of his career. His talent and ability is undoubted and he will give many pundit their crow serving next season just like Ramsey gave everyone a serving this season.

On fullbacks I mean there's a ceiling on price and managers play style. They are not like strkers where no matter who the manager is your striker is priceless. No goal scorer normally equals a rather bleak season. Spurs good example and lack of goals has seen Norwich relegated. Fullbacks have high value, Arsenal are a testament to that, but that value is still limited.

GQman2121

Banned
Is Cavani even feasible?

I agree. £25m+ is like the default price these days for world class players. The price only goes up when they're young; more so when they're English.

I feel like if we do in fact close on Costa, the £32m seems like a steal.

GorillaJu

On Ozil, I think he would have went for a good 8m less if Arsenal had been negotiating a deal early on.

As for Shaw, potentially is the operating word there. He's young - not 23 or even 21... He's 19. Yes the potential is there, but United are overpaying. Overpaying on occasion isn't necessarily a bad move, strategically. You overpay for the holes you need to fill most immediately, and in the end it'll likely be seen as a good move by United as I think Shaw will fulfill his potential. However, for a 19 year old left back, I think 27m is definitely in the realm of what I'd consider "overpaying". And it may end up being higher - hasn't this first bid been rejected?

Herr K

Banned
BnfsmF6CIAABJXD.png

I can't believe this shit. Seedorf took the job, got decent results considering the 0€ squad he has, and now he's getting stabbed in the back, replaced in under 6 months and being called crazy and other stuff. Disrespecting a legend smh. What a cunt move by the club's management.

Lightning

Banned
On Ozil, I think he would have went for a good 8m less if Arsenal had been negotiating a deal early on.

As for Shaw, potentially is the operating word there. He's young - not 23 or even 21... He's 19. Yes the potential is there, but United are overpaying. Overpaying on occasion isn't necessarily a bad move, strategically. You overpay for the holes you need to fill most immediately, and in the end it'll likely be seen as a good move by United as I think Shaw will fulfill his potential. However, for a 19 year old left back, I think 27m is definitely in the realm of what I'd consider "overpaying". And it may end up being higher - hasn't this first bid been rejected?
When the transfer window opened no one expected Ozil to leave Madrid. He had a great season, looked happy, no hint of something being wrong. When that changed we went right in, even though it was finalized on deadline day negotiations had been happening 2 weeks prior and the deal was done come deadline day. It was just a formality but before that no one would have guessed he would even be on the market.

Still 40m for 20 assists, 10 goals a season for a 25yr old is worth it on today's market imo. I am so confident that Ozil is going to kick ass next season if Wenger buys a more mobile striker and Walcott stays fit.

Technical beast, aye, but he has about as much grinta as Wilbur.
He's not a Ramsey or a Fabregas who get stuck in and if the need requires run their asses off but he does so much that doesn't get noticed and gets around the park. His main issue is drifting in and out of games, many players suffer from this including Silva and Mata, but he gives the impression of not caring in his body language. My biggest issue is he tends to sulk when things don't go his way, that's highly annoying. Liverpool game for example, things were going crap and in those situations Fabregas would carry the team and get stuck in, Ozil played like absolute shit. I don't think he was even looking where he was passing it, gave the impression he didn't want the ball and there were periods he was walking. He needs to work on that, Ramsey doesn't do that.

Dead happy for B-Rod, even though it's as scant a consolation as consolations come.

Need him and Suarez to believe that we're as good for them as they are for us.

Barry Glendenning is starting to really get on my tits. I know I've been a twat for the last 2 weeks with my lack of perspective, but this cunt takes it to another level.

FA Cup final and La Liga final round are on at the exact same time. Fuck's. Sake.

@L1NETT, it's Quiche who supports Farnborough :p

Blablurn

I love Pep but it hurts that I already know that Dortmund will out-counter us. I really consider not watching the game on Saturday :/

Lightning

Banned
Which German attacking players get stuck in when the situation is bleak? Ozil doesn't, Gotze doesn't, Kroos doesn't, Draxler doesn't seem to. Maybe Mueller and Reus?

Mertesacker gets stuck in but he's defensive.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
You and me both. I think Spalletti would be a solid fit too, if it comes to it.

Btw, getting summoned like crazy at the Glass Knight boss. Sunlight medals, nomnomnomnom.

Odd morsel don't read this spoiler

did you know that he's actually summoning players during this fight? You can get summoned too using the invasion stone

Ku-xlarge.gif

CdS going with the "Conte to Milan" headline is something beautiful. Yes, of course, he'll leave the best team in Italy where he has some sort of budget and he'll sign with a 8th place team with no money.

Makes sense, definitely.

Zabojnik

Odd morsel don't read this spoiler

did you know that he's actually summoning players during this fight? You can get summoned too using the invasion stone

Yeah, he managed to do that a couple of times, but we killed him before the summoned player had the chance to do any real damage. :p

CdS going with the "Conte to Milan" headline is something beautiful. Yes, of course, he'll leave the best team in Italy where he has some sort of budget and he'll sign with a 8th place team with no money.

Makes sense, definitely.

It's all about 'the project', Luci.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
Mirror Knight was way too easy

not with me helping him
3AQmK.gif
3AQmK.gif
3AQmK.gif

Yeah, he managed to do that a couple of times, but we killed him before the summoned player had the chance to do any real damage. :p

because most players are still stuck on the loading screen (yet they can still move their characters and 'hear' everything..lol). Which is why I spam 'roll' as soon as I hear the battle during loading

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom