• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2013/14 |ot21| Get a refund.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
BniOjUlIIAA28Ne.jpg

What a dashing young cad.

hey isn't that Yara Greyjoy?

That's a fair comment but Nasri takes it to another level. I don't blame Deschamps for not wanting him anywhere near the dressing room or a microphone given past behaviour.

Ribery is a paedophile, bullied another player to the point that the squad fell apart on a world stage and they went home in disgrace, and has been dogshit since February.

If anyone should be left at home, it's that cunt.

Can't wait for Digital Foundry's WatchDogs report

Meier

nasri's such a generic player. had a wonderful spell at arsenal at one point, but, overall, he's just... there.

He had a great season this year -- by far the best of any French creative midfielder in the world (yes, even better than Ribery IMO if you want to call him a midfielder). His 92 chances created were tied with Hazard for the most in the PL. He didn't expect to make the squad though.

Feel bad for Clichy. I'm not a big fan of his to be honest, but he's definitely better than Evra at this point in their careers.

Tc91

they're both cunts innit

and I'm pretty sure that was him tweeting to begin with

In reply to a Arsenal fan:

Anara ‏@_Anara_ 13m
@santasballsack actually no hes top of the league i guess once again u guys are bottom for the spot of champions league? Thought so

Nasri confirmed.

digital?

Yeah, that
video
power

Takes so long, way too repetetive, no skill involved, not much of a danger, takes fuck all damage from the mst powerful attacks and is basically just a timesink. Not looking forward to redoing it on Hard

LOL DARREN FERGUSON

Meier

isn't "chance created" just counting the pass before a player takes any shot? yet another worthless stat.

I don't believe there's a better metric for showing how helpful a creative midfielder is to his team. You do see some unofficial "big chances created" type stats tracked but I'm unsure what distinguishes whether a chance is considered "big" or not.

Clichy is shit. You brought a dud but thanks for the money.

I don't agree that he's shit, but I don't think he's good enough for us either. He's kind of one dimensional (defense) and he isn't great there. He was cheap though and qualifies as HG so he has his uses.

jesalr

Van Gaal said: "I'm here as Dutch national team coach, not the future Manchester United coach.

"You must wait until the process is complete. If you want to know more, then you must put questions to Manchester United, or perhaps to another club.

"I cannot say anything further about it.

"I said a few words last week about Manchester United because there were uninvited English journalists here and I thought it would be a little mean spirited if I did not answer a few of their questions.

Yes Ra's, let the Levy flow through you. LET IT FEED YOU. RISE! (And then fall in November when you haven't won all 13 games)

WJD

Yeah, that
video
power

Takes so long, way too repetetive, no skill involved, not much of a danger, takes fuck all damage from the mst powerful attacks and is basically just a timesink. Not looking forward to redoing it on Hard

LOL DARREN FERGUSON

Yeah it's really shite. Didn't find any of the boss battles particularly enjoyable to be honest.

I don't believe there's a better metric for showing how helpful a creative midfielder is to his team. You do see some unofficial "big chances created" type stats tracked but I'm unsure what distinguishes whether something is "big" or not.

Agreed

The stat is useful because of the quality of player that occupies it's top spot. If it was as useless as some claim, there'd be some right shite occupying the top spots, since it's theoretically easy to create a chance

I made it up just then.

But I put quote marks and the name Beckenbauer underneath just so it doesn't sound like I am saying it.

Accept my apology.

I wondered, but assumed it was a real quote given Becekbauer's reputation for rancid sewage pouring out of his mouth whenever he expresses an opinion :p

dc89

Clichy is shit. You brought a dud but thanks for the money.

Can you tell me how many trophies he's won whilst at City? How many have you won in the same time frame?

How did arsenal invest the money?

---

Lets just get this straight! Im not mad i get my bf for 2 months.... I just think theres a level of respect to be had!

#ShouldOfBeenSpanish

She's...winning twitter.

Lightning

Banned
Monreal has only really looked poor when he has had Cazorla in front of him offering 0 protection.

He is also a backup.
Monreal is not bad but he gets exposed against quick counter attacking teams like Liverpool and Chelsea because his transition from defense to attack and vice versa is slow so he's out of position a lot. Most of this is Wenger's fault as he wants players to play to a system they are not suited, Monreal is not this type of player, and as a result our players look bad when the tactics are bad.

When Monreal focuses on defending he's quite decent. Things go wrong when he's expected to run up and down the touch line like Gibbs does.

Can you tell me how many trophies he's won whilst at City? How many have you won in the same time frame?

How did arsenal invest the money?.
City brought trophies and had success inspite of Clichy not because of him.

Anyone played Walking Dead S2 E3 yet?

Released today I think. I swear they never tell you when they release this stuff. I just check my Steam downloads and it's there.

jtb

Banned
Nasri can't get into the France squad, a team that has routinely crashed out of every tournament early post Zidane, and he thinks he has a better shot with Spain? Good luck.

anybody that says "should of" should be shot.

Agreed

The stat is useful because of the quality of player that occupies it's top spot. If it was as useless as some claim, there'd be some right shite occupying the top spots, since it's theoretically easy to create a chance

correlation =/= causation. all the top players at chance created also play for top teams; having quality players around you would (assuming that's the way the stat is measured, I honestly am not sure) mean more shots are taken following your passes.

The problem with a stat like the assist or chance created is that it measures one thing (the number of a certain pass made), and then everyone uses it as evidence in a totally different context. it's like the RBI in baseball (when a batter's hit results in a run being scored), a stat commonly derided as being meaningless with the advent of sabermetrics.

But the real problem with RBI’s is the second question; they measure a
lot of things which are not the player’s own contribution. You cannot
drive in runners who are not on base (except with home runs), but your
own batting doesn’t put them there; if you bat behind good players, you
will get a lot of chances. In fact, the league leaders in RBI are much
more likely to be the players who batted with the most teammates on base
or in scoring position (not the batter’s contribution) than those who
hit the best with runners on base or in scoring position. Thus RBI are
a better measure of who had the most chances to drive in runners than of
who was the best at driving in runners.

do these stats measure something? yes. does what they measure accurately and reliably reflect an individual player's performance? no. because it measures and relies upon what other players do, not the player in question.

dc89

City brought trophies and had success inspite of Clichy not because of him.

I disagree. You can't carry players at the top level. Arsenal surely have learnt this over the past few years, everyone has to play their part or you win nothing. Win. Nothing.

FootballFan

^^Damn, DC going in hard. Hard.

Oof. If this game doesn't even have good graphics, and is as repetetive as it seems...

I've said it(and so have many others) since the 2nd video/reveal.

It looks worse and worse, every, single, time, they show more of it. I don't even know how that is possible lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom