• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2013/14 |ot21| Get a refund.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think we'd be silly not to get Konoplyanka as well, since he'll probably be dirt cheap, but other than that I agree. Fullbacks, centrebacks and a defensive minded midfielder should be our priorities for the rest of the window.

Oh yeah, forgot he's gotten very close to his contract with Dnipro running out. Should be able to get that wrapped up within a day of the window open. Same wages, much lower transfer fee (if he truly wants to join us, they'll take it lest he leaves on a free, and they need to be punished for cunting it up in January), all of the unofficial work already done in theory.

I'm a tiny bit worried that we'll throw thr kitchen sink at improving the defensive personnel, and not do enough to improve the coaching side.

Wonder if Carra could juggle his Sky Sports work with being defensive coach for us. Pipe dream based on nothing, but I could see it working as a lot of the things we're missing in that backline are the things Carra had in spades. If we could even transfer 1% of his instinct for defense to the rest of them, it'd be worth it :p

I think we'd be silly not to get Konoplyanka as well, since he'll probably be dirt cheap, but other than that I agree. Fullbacks, a centreback and a defensive minded midfielder should be our priorities for the rest of the window.

didnt we almost get him in the summer but Ian Ayre was too slow?

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much

Yes and then the Dnipro president said he was more likely to join Spurs in the summer.

The window just wouldn't be the same without a Liverpool v Tottenham transfer battle.

Does this look like the kind of guy that moves too slow?

7f755_TNFS_bl12.jpg

COME ON

We took too long getting the deal close in January. We did our part in the end though, and had everything verbally agreed after weeks of negotiations, before Dnipro's president pulled the plug on the deal without warning, on the last day of the transfer window, when we'd agreed a fee and wages.

Like Henry, he basically ignored a buy-out clause apparently, but unlike Henry he saw fit to fucking string us along for ages.

We took too long getting the deal close in January. We did our part in the end though, and had everything verbally agreed after weeks of negotiations, before Dnipro's president pulled the plug on the deal without warning, on the last day of the transfer window, when we'd agreed a fee and wages.

Like Henry, he basically ignored a buy-out clause apparently, but unlike Henry he saw fit to fucking string us along for ages.

so now his hand is forced due to contract expiring? when does it expire?

Does this look like the kind of guy that moves too slow?

7f755_TNFS_bl12.jpg

Yes and then the Dnipro president said he was more likely to join Spurs in the summer.

The window just wouldn't be the same without a Liverpool v Tottenham transfer battle.

COME ON

all I heard on twitter last year regarding LFC transfers was, if we ever failed to sign a player it was his fault

and Spurs not having their own scouts

Feorax

Winter window, but yeah. We got Suarez'd out of it by the Dnipro owner. I reckon we probably ironed out the details for a summer transfer whilst Ayre was over there though.

I'm a tiny bit worried that we'll throw thr kitchen sink at improving the defensive personnel, and not do enough to improve the coaching side.

Wonder if Carra could juggle his Sky Sports work with being defensive coach for us. Pipe dream based on nothing, but I could see it working as a lot of the things we're missing in that backline are the things Carra had in spades. If we could even transfer 1% of his instinct for defense to the rest of them, it'd be worth it :p

I agree to an extent, but if you look back through the season, there have been lots of really stupid individual errors from all of the back 4. That's probably equal measures personnel and coaching. We'd need a very specific defensive coach to work with our free flowing system to fix that.

GorillaJu

No, we had the papers signed, the deal was agreed with the club well before (well, hours that is) the transfer deadline. A broadsheet (either Guardian or Liverpool Echo) confirmed that they had seen the completed and signed papers. The owner of Dnipro just refused to sell him.

The one that we fucked up by letting drag too long was Salah.

Ushojax

From Greg Stobart:

Tottenham midfielder Paulinho wants to leave the club after the World Cup and is confident of completing a summer move to Chelsea.

Paulinho is valued for his tactical and goalscoring qualities but has struggled to settle at Spurs following his £17 million move to north London from Corinthians last summer as part of the club's £100m-plus spending spree.

Paulinho has publicly admitted his frustration with his first season in the Premier League and is believed to have felt let down by Tottenham’s decision to sack Andre Villas-Boas in December and was also told that the club would keep Gareth Bale, who moved to Real Madrid in August for a world-record £86m fee.

He initially found himself out of the side under Sherwood, who was privately scathing about Paulinho's poor attitude in training after the managerial change.

The Brazilian is said to have "completely downed tools" by sources at the club and found himself out of the side as Sherwood felt that he could not trust him to follow instructions.

'Tactical qualities'? Get this lazy twat out of here already.

subtles

Brendan Rodgers on the B-League—"It's very important to give young players a competitive environment. The U21 league doesn't give you that"

Public enemy

Ushojax

I'm very confused by these rumours that we want to sign him. Surely we can do better. I mean everyone's seen what he's been like this season.

I never watched him while he was at Corinthians but the implication in all these stories is that he's been putting in minimal effort at Spurs due to the World Cup/AVB sacking. Presumably once the tournament is over he will suddenly become amazing, or at least that's what his agent wants people to think.

Levy will make Chelsea pay a lot of money if they do actually want him, after the Modric and Willian fiascos relations between the clubs are horrendous.

He is. But he's put himself in an awkward position after the reactions.

Only if people are stupid would they not understand.

All it means is that the current youth competition system is not sufficient to develop young players in the best possible way.

Fact is, a youth B team playing proper competitive opposition would be the optimal way to develop them, but that creates far too many other problems to be viable.

I highly advocate better coaching for youngsters but coaching only goes so far. There needs to be a better way to give them proper competitive game time. I suspect this will come with quota or loan system reform.

Or perhaps by preventing top teams from stockpiling youth.

subtles

how many teams are in this B league? could they also make a B league FA Cup?

10 Premier League B teams and 10 Football Conference sides.

B teams could be promoted and relegated between Leagues One, Two and Three and the Conference (i.e B league).

Championship is off limits, though.

Carbonox

received my bonus for the first quarter
bit late but the system was only changed in the last couple of months

dsadsd2aepq4.png
dsadsd2aepq4.png
dsadsd2aepq4.png
dsadsd2aepq4.png

3Sixty

Ok apparently our new sponser is Veho.

I've never heard of them either.

Sticking with Hampshire based business.

Salazar

He's completely 100% right on both counts.

1 team in the league pyramid for each club. It somewhat mitigates the fact that some clubs are astonishingly fucking rich and others are astoundingly poor.

Any scheme that even threatens to fuck with that principle is an abomination.

Chelsea's B team of expensive talent dicking on Rotherham is fine for Chelsea, but the wider interest gets a raw, raw fucking.

1 team in the league pyramid for each club. It somewhat mitigates the fact that some clubs are astonishingly fucking rich and others are astoundingly poor.

Any scheme that even threatens to fuck with that principle is an abomination.

I think the youth team system needs reform.

HOWEVER

The more I think about it, the more the whole B team concept sounds like the big teams simply employ too many fucking footballers for their own good and are now looking for ways to get them game time.

I'd definitely advocate a cap on the number of U21 aged players a club can sign. Would force them to be a bit more selective and trim their squads. Would also let other teams have a go at signing youth with potential as big teams wouldn't be able to stockpile.

If Rodgers, or anyone else, cares so much about young players getting competitive football - don't buy/poach them when they're young.

It's bullshit.

subtles

Only if people are stupid would they not understand.

All it means is that the current youth competition system is not sufficient to develop young players in the best possible way.

Fact is, a youth B team playing proper competitive opposition would be the optimal way to develop them, but that creates far too many other problems to be viable.

I highly advocate better coaching for youngsters but coaching only goes so far. There needs to be a better way to give them proper competitive game time. I suspect this will come with quota or loan system reform.

Or perhaps by preventing top teams from stockpiling youth.
Roberto Martinez also supports the idea and the backlash has been rancid.

The most sensible argument is that the youth teams of PL clubs aren't more important than the current league hierarchy.

I'd rather not get into the less sensible ones.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom