• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2013/14 |ot21| Get a refund.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why couldnt they have kept mancini?

:(

We'll never get a better chance. That's not to say we'll never do it, but things will never fall into place for us so kindly

They literally picked the biggest team in the league to support, with the most fans and the best record of success over the last two decades.

And here they are, cheering for their rivals cross town, admitting they'd rather lose out on European football than see Liverpool win.

How are people acting like rooting for another team to spite your rivals is some how novel to United fans today. Lpool fans have rooted for other teams to spite United for the last decade. It wasn't like we played City today and I was cheering for them against us. We bottled this season months ago. It was simply picking the lesser of two evils. If Chelsea were playing for the league today, probably would have been cheering for them over City or Lpool. We had no stake in the title today, consolation prize is all there was to be had.

Abraxas

Something just feels right about this, you know. Rock solid defence. Great team spirit. Hull. No injuries. Ramsey.

We've already lost.
CE4T7.gif

Never forget.

GorillaJu

NOW I'M NO LONGER ALONE

I am 100% cool with City taking the title, I backed them from the start of the season to win it and only ever thought we had a chance for about a week or so, after we beat them.

You're just making yourself look like an idiot, which is pretty typical, but not to this degree.

faridmon

I still think Liverpool will compete with the title next season. Their defence have let them down this season, and if they strengthen that, I don't see them slipping down, especially if the keep Suarez.

and Everton to flirt with the relegation :(

Baki

Fucking football players these days. Stop filming with your fucking phones and enjoy the moment instead.

Kicked out by a German team in CL
End fourth in the league
Lose the FA Cup

Arsenal's treble.

#InWengerWeTrust

Hahaha.

I hope the Ballotelli rumour is true. If we can bring in Ballo, Coleman and Bender. We will have a lethal team.

this season, they played considerably worse than they're capable of. next season, we'll see a regression to the mean, I think. RVP, Rooney, Mata is just too much quality to not at least mount a serious top 4 challenge. at worst, they finish 5th. no way they finish behind Spurs again.

Everton also could fall off considerably next season given how many of their transfers were short-term loan deals this season.

LvG can be a game changer. Especially if he gets a nice transfer kitty. I mean, Mata/RVP/Rooney strikeforce combined with a competent midfield. Fuck me, they will be lethal.

sohois

this season, they played considerably worse than they're capable of. next season, we'll see a regression to the mean, I think. RVP, Rooney, Mata is just too much quality to not at least mount a serious top 4 challenge. at worst, they finish 5th. no way they finish behind Spurs again.

Everton also could fall off considerably next season given how many of their transfers were short-term loan deals this season.

Averaging their scores for this season and last gives them 76/77 points, which still isn't enough for top 4. Then when we consider the loss of players and aging of others it becomes even less likely that such a regression is even possible

jtb

Banned
the first 10 minutes against Bayern was literally the only time we played good football this season. and it wasn't just good football, we were actually outplaying Bayern. it was a beautiful 10 minutes. oh, what could have been.

that's one of Wenger's biggest failings—he doesn't have the players or the tactical nous to implement pressing properly. a possession game without pressing is just lifeless and not really penetrating enough to win games.

Clegg

They literally picked the biggest team in the league to support, with the most fans and the best record of success over the last two decades.

And here they are, cheering for their rivals cross town, admitting they'd rather lose out on European football than see Liverpool win.

I am 100% cool with City taking the title, I backed them from the start of the season to win it and only ever thought we had a chance for about a week or so, after we beat them.

You're just making yourself look like an idiot, which is pretty typical, but not to this degree.
Excuse me.

I congratulated City and Liverpool on successful seasons but your bitterness very much annoyed me.

G Neville: "It's the greatest moment of your life. People will mention kids, but everyone has kids. Not everyone has a Premier League title"

Not happy with this in the slightest. FWIW I take no pleasure at all in City take the title over Liverpool.

This season's been beyond a disgrace and I dearly hope our players are watching the City celebrations and feel fucking ashamed of themselves.

faridmon

jtb said:

Oh pleas, give me a break. Complaining about our loan player again.

If we slip up, it won't be because of any Loan transfer we have done in the past.

Salvadora

Think Arsenal, Chelsea and Liverpool are only going to get better over the summer. Spurs and Everton are somewhat of a mystery, but they'll be around the same places as usual fighting for Europa spots with United. Don't imagine RVPs fitness issues will go away, and the rot needs more than a summer to remove. That defence is woeful to say the least.

Congrats Liverpool fans. All in all a great season all things considered / against all odds!
See you in CL.

Can't believe SC Paderborn made it to BL. Their wage budget is 6m euros right now meaning that Rooney could easily finance 2 Paderborns and still lead a comfortable life (maybe without hair transplants though).

Averaging their scores for this season and last gives them 76/77 points, which still isn't enough for top 4. Then when we consider the loss of players and aging of others it becomes even less likely that such a regression is even possible

I'm really not sure we will get into the top 4 next season but for the life of me I don't get why you think this type of statistical analysis is any type of hard evidence for it.

Genuine question - is that type of calculation proven to give a good indication of future finishes?

Stubo

Getting a bit crazy in here today.

Congrats to City, a great squad with a clearly capable manager. It does concern me what this team could become with stability and another summer of investment, it's going to be tough to catch up over the next few seasons.

As bitter a pill it is to swallow to see them win the league again, I don't think I could take the extremely vocal Liverpool fan at work for a whole season if they'd pulled it off...so I'm "happy" about this, I suppose.

Scum

Congrats Liverpool fans. All in all a great season all things considered / against all odds!
See you in CL.

Can't believe SC Paderborn made it to BL. Their wage budget is 6m euros right now meaning that Rooney could easily finance 2 Paderborns and still lead a comfortable life (maybe without hair transplants though).

Paderbon made it? Excellent.

Even if our new defenders are shit, they'd struggle to do worse than the current ones

#clutchingatstraws
That needs sorting out, pronto.

jtb

Banned
Oh pleas, give me a break. Complaining about our loan player again.

If we slip up, it won't be because of any Loan transfer we have done in the past.

where would you be without Lukaku and Barry this season? players of that quality (especially at striker) aren't always going to be available for loan every season. I'm not complaining, I'm just stating the obvious. Good players helped you have a great season and you're going to be losing a few of those in the summer.

Suen

Hahaha.

I hope the Ballotelli rumour is true. If we can bring in Ballo, Coleman and Bender. We will have a lethal team.

LvG can be a game changer. Especially if he gets a nice transfer kitty. I mean, Mata/RVP/Rooney strikeforce combined with a competent midfield. Fuck me, they will be lethal.
Wouldn't recommend getting Balotelli for any price now. He has lots of potential yeah but his current form is subpar, would probably even go with Giroud before Balotelli. Besides, would Milan be willing to sell him? I'd rather get Shawarma if we are looking at Milan.

I hope Atletico win the double.
You're dead to me.

GorillaJu

Excuse me.

I congratuleted City and Liverpool on successful seasons but your bitterness very much annoyed me.

You're excused.

I am not bitter, man, I was the first one to congratulate them, like I said it's been there's to lose for a while and they were the best team this season, thus they're winners.

My beef is with some of the Utd boys - most of them aren't regulars and just pop in to make themselves look like tools on occasions such as this. Unfortunately you're always doing it.

sohois

I'm really not sure we will get into the top 4 next season but for the life of me I don't get why you think this type of statistical analysis is any type of hard evidence for it.

Genuine question - is that type of calculation proven to give a good indication of future finishes?

Regression to the mean is a very well known and proven part of mathematical statistics, in fact a great deal of common human error is due to ignorance or underestimation of regression to the mean.

jtb brought it up originally and I was simply replying that a large regression is unlikely due to a number of factors.

Baki

Lol

Ronaldo joining Arsenal is more probable than that.

Aesenal pls, don't even try!

Sharing is caring.

Wouldn't recommend getting Balotelli for any price now. He has lots of potential yeah but his current form is subpar, would probably even go with Giroud before Balotelli. Besides, would Milan be willing to sell him? I'd rather get Shawarma if we are looking at Milan.

You're dead to me.

El Sharawaay has a long term injury right?

Clegg

You're excused.

I am not bitter, man, I was the first one to congratulate them, like I said it's been there's to lose for a while and they were the best team this season, thus they're winners.

My beef is with some of the Utd boys - most of them aren't regulars and just pop in to make themselves look like tools on occasions such as this. Unfortunately you're always doing it.
Mate I'm not the one acting like a tool in this situation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom