• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2013/14 |ot21| Get a refund.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GorillaJu

No but it was you who tried tarring United fans with the same brush, called me an idiot, then a tool and is acting like a very unpleasant person.

Whatever you say man, this discussion has way outlived its purpose. Sorry if I've bothered people with my unpleasantness.

Clegg

clegg, you're the one who's acting like a tool here.

your team has been utter shit this season, and here you are celebrating liverpool not winning the league.
I'm not celebrating City winning or Liverpool losing. I feel bad for their fans and some of their players who I quite like.

But then I see rubbish like the stuff posted earlier.

jtb

Banned
By all accounts, when we qualified for the Champions League, Suarez's release clause jumped into the £100m range.

By all accounts, you had a 40m release clause last summer and didn't sell anyways. Liverpool's not selling and Suarez isn't going anywhere.

Turok_TTZ

I agree, but I was desperate for Gerrard to win it, and I can see him retiring before it happens now.

First order of business is asking Suarez if he'd want to leave if Madrid come calling, just so we can get a contingency plan in action. Then we consolidate the squad and make sure we don't see a repeat of 09/10. Then we think about challenging for the league next year.

Can't hate Kompany. Nasri though... :p

If madrid successfully renew Benz, we will not go after a new cf.

Suen

man Catania really killed Roma. Unlucky Pogba.

If madrid successfully renew Benz, we will not go after a new cf.
Don't think we should be going for anyone this summer. I'm satisfied with the current team, although a bit worried about Illara and Carvajal.

I wouldn't trust anything he says tbh. You're not gonna sell him no matter what anyways.

Giggseh says new manager this week.

I know, but we need to try and get an idea of where we stand with him, otherwise we risk him trying to force his way out in August and refusing to play, leaving us with £80m+ in the bank and no time to spend it on replacements.

Enjoyed that Suarez free kick, was shite (again) aside from that though. We could do with managing his energy expenditure next year, looked properly burnt out since the start of April. The way he plays I don't think we can stop him from putting in 100% every game, but worth a try.

dc89

Man City win the league having done everything by the book..... Sheikh Mansour's chequebook.

F2nXgM9.gif

GorillaJu

By all accounts, you had a 40m release clause last summer and didn't sell anyways. Liverpool's not selling and Suarez isn't going anywhere.

There was this report of John Henry meeting some press (or was it a fan's group? I can't recall), and said that Suarez is happy in Liverpool but still dreams of playing for Real. We'd sell to Real and no one else, and only for an exorbitant fee.

Salvadora

jtb, the best we've played this season was the home leg against Napoli. An utterly dominant performance from the first to the last minute and had everything I'd look to see in the team.

faridmon

where would you be without Lukaku and Barry this season? players of that quality (especially at striker) aren't always going to be available for loan every season. I'm not complaining, I'm just stating the obvious. Good players helped you have a great season and you're going to be losing a few of those in the summer.

I don't think you are stating any fact. Barry is staying and the If we didn't have Lukaku, we still would have done good, considering there were loads of games where he didn't showed up at all and we still won.

Also, you are undermining the form that our newly acquired players have had and how much they have strengthen our team. McCarthy, McGeady, Stones, Barkely and Naismith have all done more job than our loanee.

So stop, pls!

I'm not celebrating City winning or Liverpool losing. I feel bad for their fans and some of their players who I quite like.

But then I see rubbish like the stuff posted earlier.

You kinda were, man.

I feel bad for those in Anfield too, didn't watch the game so was it a decent last hurrah for the season?

Suen

We will get a new striker.

Benz is not cutting it.
Benz is good and I still think he does a very good in assisting despite his position. But I do believe we could have a better finisher, thing is that we are still too dependent on CR (not as much as last season which is a good sign) and we now have Bale as well. So how will the play be distributed between CR - new CF - Bale (or heck even Di Crotch)?

Don't forget that we already have Jese. I believe he'll be a good replacement for Benz. Give him another season.

sohois

I know, but we need to try and get an idea of where we stand with him, otherwise we risk him trying to force his way out in August and refusing to play, leaving us with £80m+ in the bank and no time to spend it on replacements.

Enjoyed that Suarez free kick, was shite (again) aside from that though. We could do with managing his energy expenditure next year, looked properly burnt out since the start of April. The way he plays I don't think we can stop him from putting in 100% every game, but worth a try.

Rodgers seemed pretty loathe to ever sub him, you can understand him starting every game but there were often times when Sturridge or Stirling would go off despite Suarez being worse or more fatigued. I have criticised Rodgers subs so often and I really hope that it is much more to do with the quality of bench and can be remedied next season.

Walshy

Liverpool have spent money, but we've reduced our wage bill this year and only spent £20m in net transfer spend this year.

Not anywhere close to what City and Chelsea have spent and the wages they give their players, but for a club like Liverpool to spend £83m in net transfers since 09/10 season isn't exactly spending big money.

In that same period Chelsea have spent £292m net and 366m net. Chelsea's b-team that came to Anfield was more expensive than our first team. We spent big money for one summer with Downing, Adam etc.

Kickz

Congratulations, City and City fans. Deserved winners.

Great season by Liverpool but we just came up a little short at the end.

Still: lots to be proud of, and lots of thrills along the way.

Better defense and you guys win 10 points clear

Rodgers seemed pretty loathe to ever sub him, you can understand him starting every game but there were often times when Sturridge or Stirling would go off despite Suarez being worse or more fatigued. I have criticised Rodgers subs so often and I really hope that it is much more to do with the quality of bench and can be remedied next season.

Yeah, I was thinking about the subs after the Chelsea match, and it was worse against Palace. We seem to play worse after the subs far more often than we play better.

That'll get better when we have Konoplyanka coming on for Sterling instead of fucking Moses, at least :p

Started to play okay today after Coutinho came on.

I like Noel Gallagher, but I hate the way he's like some fucking spokesman for City.

Moobabe

Liverpool have spent money, but we've reduced our wage bill this year and only spent £20m in net transfer spend this year.

Not anywhere close to what City and Chelsea have spent and the wages they give their players, but for a club like Liverpool to spend £83m in net transfers since 09/10 season isn't exactly spending big money.

In that same period Chelsea have spent £292m net and 366m net. Chelsea's b-team that came to Anfield was more expensive than our first team. We spent big money for one summer with Downing, Adam etc.

Yeah of course - our outlay of £50m on Torres makes us look mugs though.

It's not all about money though - Kompany, Zabaleta, Clichy and Demichelis (sp?) cost about the same as Glen Johnson.

And speaking of wages - I can't believe United pay more than we do. Insanity.

Yeah, got that.

I mean specifically in regards to sport and especially football, how successful is this type of prediction. Because there are alot of factors which you can't even consider yet because they haven't even happened...
There's a book called Thinking Fast and Slow and regression to the mean is covered with analysis on golfing tournaments and as far as I remember it makes for some pretty accurate predictions.

pulga

Banned
I'm so glad Liverpool bottled it big time. Bunch of shitehawk scumbags.

BLUEMOOOOOOOONNNNNN

YOU SAW ME STANDING ALOOOOOOONE

WITHOUT A DREAM IN MY HEART

WITHOUT A LOVE OF MY OWN

BLUE MOOOOOOOOON

Wes, if you ever catch me singing my fierce rival's anthem, ban me on the spot

spare me from further embarrassment, im clearly broken at that point

GQman2121

Banned
Torres: 5 league goals in 28 games

Eto'o: 9 league goals in 21 games

Ba: 5 league goals in 19 games

None of that is good enough. Today alone Torres could have had a hattrick with some of the chances he pissed away.

We need to hit on a striker this summer or next season is going to be just as disappointing. I don't know if Costa or even Cavani are the answer but it's the games that those type of players score in that cost us silverware in 13/14.

GorillaJu

Real are constantly reported as being interested in Suarez but never from legitimate angles - not like, for example the Modric or Bale interest, where the players make it fully known that a transfer is on the cards. Makes me suspicious of any chance of them actually going in for Suarez. I think Real would only buy Suarez if they ran out of other ideas.

Probably the biggest reason I don't see Suarez going to Real is that I don't see how he fits in, on footballing terms. Benzema isn't amazing, but he has tidy footwork and can play the ball like a midfielder around the box to put in Real's real goal threat, which is Ronaldo and Bale. Suarez has an admirable amount of assists to go with his goals, but he has a lot of freedom to just terrorize as much as possible and doesn't really pass consistently, which is important for the role that Real has their strikers play.

I think Aguero is the one they have their cross-hairs on, and I don't think that's happening either, personally. Aguero is the perfect compliment to Suarez, too bad we'll never see them on the same team. Cavani/Suarez is pretty excellent though.

cremino

man Catania really killed Roma. Unlucky Pogba.

Don't think we should be going for anyone this summer. I'm satisfied with the current team, although a bit worried about Illara and Carvajal.

I think you need a couple of defenders especially if Arbeloa or Coentrao are leaving and maybe a midfielder if Khedira is definitively broken or sold

Walshy

Yeah of course - our outlay of £50m on Torres makes us look mugs though.

It's not all about money though - Kompany, Zabaleta, Clichy and Demichelis (sp?) cost about the same as Glen Johnson.

And speaking of wages - I can't believe United pay more than we do. Insanity.
I think Carroll for £35m was much worse :lol

That's true, our best buys have never been the big money ones, hoping that changes soon though.

Scum

Real are constantly reported as being interested in Suarez but never from legitimate angles - not like, for example the Modric or Bale interest, where the players make it fully known that a transfer is on the cards. Makes me suspicious of any chance of them actually going in for Suarez. I think Real would only buy Suarez if they ran out of other ideas.

Probably the biggest reason I don't see Suarez going to Real is that I don't see how he fits in, on footballing terms. Benzema isn't amazing, but he has tidy footwork and can play the ball like a midfielder around the box to put in Real's real goal threat, which is Ronaldo and Bale. Suarez has an admirable amount of assists to go with his goals, but he has a lot of freedom to just terrorize as much as possible and doesn't really pass consistently, which is important for the role that Real has their strikers play.

I think Aguero is the one they have their cross-hairs on, and I don't think that's happening either, personally. Aguero is the perfect compliment to Suarez, too bad we'll never see them on the same team. Cavani/Suarez is pretty excellent though.

Messi's signing Aguero, mate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom