• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2013/14 |ot21| Get a refund.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yen

Not happy with this in the slightest. FWIW I take no pleasure at all in City take the title over Liverpool.

This season's been beyond a disgrace and I dearly hope our players are watching the City celebrations and feel fucking ashamed of themselves.

Based on their attitude when Moyes was there - that is, not playing for your manager - I don''t think this'll be the case.

Regression to the mean is a very well known and proven part of mathematical statistics, in fact a great deal of common human error is due to ignorance or underestimation of regression to the mean.

jtb brought it up originally and I was simply replying that a large regression is unlikely due to a number of factors.

Yeah, got that.

I mean specifically in regards to sport and especially football, how successful is this type of prediction. Because there are alot of factors which you can't even consider yet because they haven't even happened...

Scum

Ever since i've retired from sports betting i.ve been getting so much done. Feels like a weight have been lifted off my shoulders.

FLm9W.jpg

WJD

Only watching through this shite cause Sky's end of season's montages are usually pretty good, even considering our awful year.

Walshy

Despite the disappointment in the end, what a wonderful season this has been.

I loved the majority of i and feel like we can only get better from here. No shame in competing with two financially doped clubs and taking the title race to the last game.

Young squad who can all still improve and more investment and we can only get better.

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
Thats great, cant imagine Fergie deoing that :D

Scum

Yeah, got that.

I mean specifically in regards to sport and especially football, how successful is this type of prediction. Because there are alot of factors which you can't even consider yet because they haven't even happened...

Fuck stats. I want to see Ra's shitting on people! Announce him already!!

faridmon

Don't see why you'd think that. Ronaldo is at his zenith and playing for the biggest club in the world. Coleman is at Everton.

Similar poetic words were uttered before:

Bayern are on the brink of becoming the major force of Europe, already are dominant in their home turf, have one of the most stable stets of ideology and terrific fans and fans are only an icing of the cake. You are at Everton!

Salva pls

Sharing is caring.

OK, fine, straight swap him for Ramsey?

Enjoying the ManU mental breakdowns. No Champions League, no hope for the future, it's truly a dead team. Making fun of Liverpool going from 7th to 2nd while your team went from 1st to 7th, well, you have a lot of Gaal.

Mascot

Congratulations, City and City fans. Deserved winners.

Great season by Liverpool but we just came up a little short at the end.

Still: lots to be proud of, and lots of thrills along the way.

Suen

the first 10 minutes against Bayern was literally the only time we played good football this season. and it wasn't just good football, we were actually outplaying Bayern. it was a beautiful 10 minutes. oh, what could have been.

that's one of Wenger's biggest failings—he doesn't have the players or the tactical nous to implement pressing properly. a possession game without pressing is just lifeless and not really penetrating enough to win games.
I remember those ten minutes, fuck we looked so great then. The kind of football I wanted to see, like killing machines. Pep looked absolutely terrified, Bayern were all over the place and then Özil choked.

Walshy

He deserves this. The players love him.
Congratulations, City deserved it in the end!

Pellegrini has been really classy this season, especially when we beat you guys at Anfield and he waited to shake the hands of every Liverpool player, even Moses :lol.

Turok_TTZ

he shouldnt be playing because he should be resting you fruit, not because we dont want him lol

he's player of the season imo

I do agree modric needs a rest but pots?
up for debate. Real Madrid has exceptional players. Di maria for example. Or Sergio Ramos. CR7. Benz. Contrao, Pepe, Even Bale.

Very tough to say who is RM's PotS.

jtb

Banned
79 points to finish 4th this season. that has to be a record, right? A couple seasons ago, 79 points would have won you the title.

sohois

Yeah, got that.

I've never seen any analysis of basic regression to the mean as a tool of prediction in football; every statistical model out there is far more sophisticated than basic regression to the mean and there is little need for them to analyze when it is most certainly already included in the models.

I think when we consider that in pretty much every single area statisical analysis outmatches human intuition, including football, regression to the mean will most likely be a fairly good layman tool for some basic predictions.

I loved the majority of i and feel like we can only get better from here. No shame in competing with two financially doped clubs and taking the title race to the last game.

Young squad who can all still improve and more investment and we can only get better.

I agree, but I was desperate for Gerrard to win it, and I can see him retiring before it happens now.

First order of business is asking Suarez if he'd want to leave if Madrid come calling, just so we can get a contingency plan in action. Then we consolidate the squad and make sure we don't see a repeat of 09/10. Then we think about challenging for the league next year.

Can't hate Kompany. Nasri though... :p

GorillaJu

79 points to finish 4th this season. that has to be a record, right? A couple seasons ago, 79 points would have won you the title.

Table is weighted on both edges this season, lots of congestion at the top and bottom, very few teams in the middle.

Clegg

Sorry, it must have been someone else that posted the Blue Moon lyrics in all caps over 5 or some odd posts.
No but it was you who tried tarring United fans with the same brush, called me an idiot, then a tool and is acting like a very unpleasant person.

Moobabe

Liverpool did really well - I wrote them off big time at the turn of the year, but happy to eat crow on that.

But let's not pretend Liverpool haven't spent big money over the past few seasons.

Barzul

the first 10 minutes against Bayern was literally the only time we played good football this season. and it wasn't just good football, we were actually outplaying Bayern. it was a beautiful 10 minutes. oh, what could have been.

that's one of Wenger's biggest failings—he doesn't have the players or the tactical nous to implement pressing properly. a possession game without pressing is just lifeless and not really penetrating enough to win games.

Napoli, Norwich, Newcastle at home. We've had good games.

OT: Zabaleta's English is pretty darn good.

I agree, but I was desperate for Gerrard to win it, and I can see him retiring before it happens now.

First order of business is asking Suarez if he'd want to leave if Madrid come calling, just so we can get a contingency plan in action. Then we consolidate the squad and make sure we don't see a repeat of 09/10. Then we think about challenging for the league next year.

I wouldn't trust anything he says tbh. You're not gonna sell him no matter what anyways.

Giggseh says new manager this week.

subtles

Bit of a sad ending to a phenomenal, quite arguably our best, season in the PL era. The team will hopefully learn from this and we'll improve in the upcoming months. I look forward to our CL campaign but the wait will be excruciating.

Congrats CityGaf.

Walshy

By all accounts, when we qualified for the Champions League, Suarez's release clause jumped into the £100m range.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom