• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2013/14 |ot21| Get a refund.

Status
Not open for further replies.

jtb

Banned
Torres: 5 league goals in 28 games

Eto'o: 9 league goals in 21 games

Ba: 5 league goals in 19 games

None of that is good enough. Today alone Torres could have had a hattrick with some of the chances he pissed away.

We need to hit on a striker this summer or next season is going to be just as disappointing. I don't know if Costa or even Cavani are the answer but it's the games that those type of players score in that cost us silverware in 13/14.

please sell us Ba

Plasma

Banned
Jenko believes.
dQIp9oN.jpg

Chuffed that he got a goal.

Clegg

Yeah of course - our outlay of £50m on Torres makes us look mugs though.

It's not all about money though - Kompany, Zabaleta, Clichy and Demichelis (sp?) cost about the same as Glen Johnson.

And speaking of wages - I can't believe United pay more than we do. Insanity.
Tbf United's team had won three of the last five league titles and still contained players who'd won the Champions League in 2008. Wages were always going to be extremely high. There's been a very sharp decline this season with players who were on massive wages being the worst performers. Chelsea have gotten rid of a few high earners in recent years which balances the books nicely for you.

Rio, Vidic and Evra must be on a combined 250-300k per week and they're all leaving. Not sure if we'll end up with a wage bill any less for next season tho. We're in the market for some v expensive players.

sohois

Real are constantly reported as being interested in Suarez but never from legitimate angles - not like, for example the Modric or Bale interest, where the players make it fully known that a transfer is on the cards. Makes me suspicious of any chance of them actually going in for Suarez. I think Real would only buy Suarez if they ran out of other ideas.

Probably the biggest reason I don't see Suarez going to Real is that I don't see how he fits in, on footballing terms. Benzema isn't amazing, but he has tidy footwork and can play the ball like a midfielder around the box to put in Real's real goal threat, which is Ronaldo and Bale. Suarez has an admirable amount of assists to go with his goals, but he has a lot of freedom to just terrorize as much as possible and doesn't really pass consistently, which is important for the role that Real has their strikers play.

I think Aguero is the one they have their cross-hairs on, and I don't think that's happening either, personally. Aguero is the perfect compliment to Suarez, too bad we'll never see them on the same team. Cavani/Suarez is pretty excellent though.

I can imagine Aguero, Falcao, Cavani, even Costa would all be targets ahead of Suarez. All would be cheaper and with less baggage.

Can't believe we are going to lose this match. Estoril haven't had a shot on target for 90 minutes. At least Shikabala looks like a good player for next season.

GorillaJu

Yeah of course - our outlay of £50m on Torres makes us look mugs though.

It's not all about money though - Kompany, Zabaleta, Clichy and Demichelis (sp?) cost about the same as Glen Johnson.

And speaking of wages - I can't believe United pay more than we do. Insanity.

Drogba, Malouda, Mata, Kalou and other big earners leaving probably cuts a large chunk off the top. I imagine Ferrera and Alex were earning a lot. Bosingwa, too. I think Van Ginkel, Schurrle, Salah, Azpilicueta and Oscar are probably on the lower end of Chelsea's wage structure considering the clubs that they came from and their ages.

United signing RVP, Mata and Rooney's contract renewal, plus a few high-earners at the tail-end of their contracts (Vidic, Evra, Ferdinand, Giggs) probably weighs down their wage bill quite a bit. And I imagine they gave Fellaini a pretty nice contract as well.

jtb

Banned
jtb, the best we've played this season was the home leg against Napoli. An utterly dominant performance from the first to the last minute and had everything I'd look to see in the team.

I think Walcott played in that game, right? He's going to make such a huge difference to our team next season, he barely played at all this season and we really missed him.

The 2 season-defining moments for me are Gerrard's slip and Hart's save from Naismith

That's where the title was lost. Been a boss year though. Let's make next year even bosser.

GQman2121

Banned
Gerrard post match interview: "obviously devastated to come close and fall away from the title."

Poor choice of words there mate....

i4ERdzMEYZlWr.gif

Clegg

Ba wouldn't be a bad signing for Arsenal. Other than Giroud you have no senior strikers. Doesn't mean he'd be your only signing for that position either. You need depth.

GorillaJu

BnXpv7gIEAM5eXa.jpg:large

I think we can abolish the myth that this club do not have a spirit.

It's a very likable team outside of a few characters... well, just Nasri, really. Pretty much everyone else there is a respectable personality. And Pellegrini is pure class, too.

Sherwood asked on @bbc5live 'where's the fan you put on the bench in the betting for the manager's job?' 'No chance. He's English'

We'll miss you and your Tactics, Tim.

Wtf?

I was kind of sad when Liverpool lost to Chelsea, but after the Palace game it was obvious they didn't deserve the title.
You just can't let a 3-0 slip. It's Rodgers fault.
Next season without Suarez I don't see them in the top4, they blew their chance.

City is the deserved champ, congrats.

What makes you think Suarez is gone? Didn't people say the same thing in the summer and the summer before that? And yet he is still at Liverpool. You jokers just love making assumptions.

pulsemyne

Well it'd the end of a very topsy turvy season for Swansea city. The europa league obviously contained some great highs (beating Valencia for example) but it really took a toll on our players. We skirted with religation for a while but powered through towards the end and find ourselves in mid table. Obviously the back room bust ups and Laudrup not giving a toss were low points. Monk has come in and after an amazing start (beating cardiff 3-0 was glorious) he had a few dodgy games but things have turned a corner and we can look forward to maybe a better season next year.
The big thing this summer will be can we hang onto Bony? Swansea would want at least 20 million for him, maybe more. There's also rumours that newcastle want shelvey but I think that maybe unlikely as there would be little to gain career wise. Besides it's not like swansea are strapped for cash we are the second most profitable club in the league after tax (only man united make more money). It should be an interesting summer. If Bony has a good world cup then who knows what price we could ask.

sohois

I cannot bring myself to 'like' City; as a club they are just a disgrace, along with Chelsea. Some posters mentioned earlier how Liverpool fans would support other clubs over United, but I would honestly rather have United in the top 4 over either of the oil clubs.

I will continue to root for their downfall, just as everyone does with QPR but neglects to do with City or Chelsea for some reason.

Thank fuck Spurs got that EL spot btw.

Man Utd have a squad and funds to handle it much better than Spurs, may well prevent Spurs from challenging for 4th next year

Don't have a clue what Man Utd will be like next year. Can see them coming anywhere between 3rd and 7th.

jtb

Banned
You'd be an idiot to spend significant money on Benteke right now. Leave him at Villa to show that this season is an exception rather than becoming the norm.

totally agree. I wasn't convinced Benteke was anything more than a one season wonder at the beginning of the season and he's not progressed at all this season. we can't afford to waste away more seasons playing a project up front. if he's available for a cheap price while everyone's getting fired, it's worth a gamble if only for his physical tools, but right now, I'd play Giroud ahead of him. Giroud.

Louis Saha ‏@JosephMahon96 18m

Villa fans dressed as Traffic Cones are blocking traffic in London singing "We're Aston Villa, the traffic is ours".. pic.twitter.com/ysb8ju2X4T

BnXni0FIQAAsgPe.jpg

lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom