• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2013/14 | OT3

Status
Not open for further replies.

GHG

Well now he has a trophy to show for it!

He already did. He got 2 infact:

7105275881_3401905af8_z.jpg

Bernard has been posting pictures of himself at the London Hilton on Instagram. Could mean anything, though. Most likely waiting for a flight back to Brazil. Reckon we would have heard something if Arsene had rekindled his interest.

Remember when Micky was in London? Bernard to BVB is happening.

I'm sorry, Arnie.

Seems like a good move for both parties. Eredivisie is obviously a good move for a young striker to get experience.

Agreed, I'm pleased with the move. We have another youngster on loan at Vitesse so I might have to watch some Eredivisie this year.

Hixx

"The Danish domestic season has already begun, with Ulvene (‘The Wolves’) sitting top of the pile with three wins from three games.
Glen Riddersholm’s side won 2-1 at home to SonderjyskE last Friday, following victories against AGF (2-0) and Kobenhavn (1-0)."

lmao Wooden

l.m.a.o.

Salvadora

Yeh about that...:

Sánto ‏@Zizouology 42m
NOTE: Bernard arrived at London for connection flight to Ukraine to meet Shakhtar representatives and NOT to sign for Arsenal or Spurs.
Ah, thought that might've been the case.
We didn't even bid for him.
We told his club we would, strangely. This is turning into quite a strange summer.
Remember when Micky was in London? Bernard to BVB is happening.
Every club must have representatives in London :lol.

GHG

Not sure if its already been discussed but all the papers are now reporting that Bale has been removed from the scum's Twitter page.

Lightning

Banned
We told his club we would, strangely. This is turning into quite a strange summer.
As long as we get Suarez this summer has been perfect.

We've shipped all deadwood while keeping our starting team and best reserves in tact and brought through talented youngsters.

ShogunX

Ah, thought that might've been the case.

Every club must have representatives in London :lol.

Raiola holds his meetings in London at the home of Martin Jol. Weird but true.

Meier

Reus' won't activate before 2015.

City will try and go balls deep on that clause I'm sure.

Not sure if its already been discussed but all the papers are now reporting that Bale has been removed from the scum's Twitter page.

Yeah, it was posted yesterday. Their background page was Bale and Deuce but it's now Sandro and somebody else. Walker maybe? Doesn't really confirm anything but it makes it seem more likely.

Salvadora

We've shipped all deadwood while keeping our starting team and best reserves in tact and brought through talented youngsters.
I would disagree with this. Other positions desperately need strengthened and to be honest the later part of your post is something we should be expected to do anyway.
Raiola holds his meetings in London at the home of Martin Jol. Weird but true.
There is something very murky about that haha.

FFS. Source?

Keith Mills just said if Bale is desperate to go then they can't make him stay. That's as close to an official confirmation before the official confirmation is done. It's the best way to prepare fans of what's about to happen.

Suarez and Rooney next. Is it possible that Suarez might just go to Tottenham? The stars are aligning. Wenger cock blocked again...

Shagwell

Why FFS? Greatly weakens Spurs is good for Liverpool....

In the long run AVB can do a lot with 100m. They've already got a decent squad. For the short-term it hurts them though because I really don't think there's a lot of quality left in the market to spend that money on before the window closes.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
Keith Mills just said if Bale is desperate to go then they can't make him stay. That's as close to an official confirmation before the official confirmation is done. It's the best way to prepare fans of what's about to happen.

Suarez and Rooney next.

Oh, I though you had some actual info. Mills is right but he has nothing to do with the negotiations. If we get £85m and Morata then we've done well. Bale is a great player but that's an absurd deal. We can easily replace his 20 goals a season with that money.

If we don't get offered what we want then Bale will stay. We've been though this with Modric once already and he played a full season to a high standard when we refused to sell him.

dc89

Why not just wash it yourself? Do you get a head massage as well?

A friend of mine(male) goes for a monthly manicure at a local health and beauty shop. I'm not sure what to make of it.

Well you get it scrubbed with shampoo and conditioner. It's awesome.

Oh, I though you had some actual info. Mills is right but he has nothing to do with the negotiations. If we get £85m and Morata then we've done well. Bale is a great player but that's an absurd deal. We can easily replace his 20 goals a season with that money.

Please tell me you don't think that a club director won't know exactly what's happening with a major transfer.... The dude knows everything, and if he's foreshadowing that's all you need to know.

He's getting sold, period. Right now it's just a game of inches, one million here and there that's all. And you aren't going to get Morata.

subtles

Why wont he renew it? He's got the cushiest job in football. 7million a year and no pressure to win anything. Just finish 4th and your bosses are happy.

Press speculation has it that he is PSG's number one choice for manager next season, and their obsession with him put off managers who couldn't be guaranteed long term support.

Ancelotti was in the final year of his contract and the transition to Wenger was suppose to be smooth, but Mou/Madrid screwed it all up. It's just Speculation mind, but surely Wenger would have signed an extension by now?

Lightning

Banned
In the long run AVB can do a lot with 100m. They've already got a decent squad. For the short-term it hurts them though because I really don't think there's a lot of quality left in the market to spend that money on before the window closes.
Unless they get CL football, without Bale they are worse than last year, that money won't help them that much because they will have to overpay to convince the best players to join them. The best players don't like Europa and want a lot of money to compensate for it something Levy doesn't offer.

GHG

Nah I don't think Suarez is enough personally. We need a playmaker type AM in addition to him. Someone like Ozil/Cesc/Mata (or even someone at the Nasri/Hleb level dare I say it...) who can pick a final pass but also dictate play through the middle when in deeper situations if necessary. We desperately lack someone like that which is why our attacking play tends to be slow to transition up the pitch quickly and we become predictable.

Look at the pass Cesc picks out at about 12 seconds:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NU4EnS2ziEc

We currently have nobody with that ability, awareness and quickness of thought to play that sort of ball. Those sorts of passes are goal defining.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
Please tell me you don't think that a club director won't know exactly what's happening with a major transfer.... The dude knows everything, and if he's foreshadowing that's all you need to know.

He's getting sold, period. Right now it's just a game of inches, one million here and there that's all. And you aren't going to get Morata.

If we aren't going to get Morata then the price goes beyond £100m. Even Madrid can't afford that.

As I said, Mills is not involved in the negotiations and is not telling us anything new, he's a non-executive director. We already know Bale wants to leave.

justjohn

Press speculation has it that he is PSG's number one choice for manager next season, and their obsession with him put off managers who couldn't be guaranteed long term support.

Ancelotti was in the final year of his contract and the transition to Wenger was suppose to be smooth, but Mou/Madrid screwed it all up. It's just Speculation mind, but surely Wenger would have signed an extension by now?
Wenger will not leave arsenal until he's sacked. Unless psg are happy to spend billions and win fuck all then wenger is perfect for them.
As a manager his best days are far behind him.

Unless they get CL football, without Bale they are worse than last year, that money won't help them that much because they will have to overpay to convince the best players to join them. The best players don't like Europa and want a lot of money to compensate for it something Levy doesn't offer.

Managers like AVB don't need to buy the biggest names. They buy the talent you think is good, and then they make it great.

Gareth Bale breakout season was under Villas Boas.

If we aren't going to get Morata then the price goes beyond £100m. Even Madrid can't afford that.

As I said, Mills is not involved in the negotiations and is not telling us anything new, he's a non-executive director. We already know Bale wants to leave.

He's not involved as in, he doesn't make the call. He's involved in the sense that he knows everything about it, including what Levy is going to do. If he takes the liberty to public say you can't make a player stay when he doesn't want to, he's just telling you what the plan is.

Morata leaving will depend on whether he even wants to leave. Which is sad in itself, that a kid won't want to play for Tottenham and a star would rather leave. Coentrao and Di Maria are more likely to be in the mix, and Madrid will pay the money.

Don't forget Madrid hasn't spent all that much at all.

ShogunX

Why FFS? Greatly weakens Spurs is good for Liverpool....

The FFS was because a big claim like Bale has all but joined Real Madrid requires a very good source. With the amount of shit doing the rounds at the moment it's hard to take anything that is not official seriously.

Lightning

Banned
Managers like AVB don't need to buy the biggest names. They buy the talent you think is good, and then they make it great.

Gareth Bale breakout season was under Villas Boas.
And much like last season fall just short of their objective, despite Bale's best ever year.

I also disagree slightly as Bale was progressing year on year. Real Madrid's interest didn't just arise this year, it's been there for a while so AVB can't take full credit for Bale as the season he just had has been brewing but he still has a ways to go.

L1NETT

Nah I don't think Suarez is enough personally. We need a playmaker type AM in addition to him.

Pretty sure I big enforcer and a class goal keeper are much bigger priorities. In Arteta and Cazorla you have two of the best passers in the PL.

Put it this way. Arsenal get Begovic, Suarez and Fellani/Capoue/a good enforcer I can't think of right now. Enough to contend for the top 3 providing none of the first team leave? I reckon so.

The FFS was because a big claim like Bale has all but joined Real Madrid requires a very good source. With the amount of shit doing the rounds at the moment it's hard to take anything that is not official seriously.

Big claim? I would call it 10:1 that Bale is leaving this month, and I bet it will be announced within 10 days.

And much like last season fall just short of their objective, despite Bale's best ever year.

I also disagree slightly as Bale was progressing year on year. Real Madrid's interest didn't just arise this year, it's been there for a while so AVB can't take full credit for Bale as the season he just had has been brewing but he still has a ways to go.

A breakout season is a breakout season. A manager can't ever take full credit, because it's the player talent that will speak in the end.

And if I may, Arsenal is in the CL and they don't have one player that is close to Bale's talent. So the jury is still out if they can take the money and build a team that is greater than the sum of its parts.

Salvadora

Nah I don't think Suarez is enough personally. We need a playmaker type AM in addition to him. Someone like Ozil/Cesc/Mata (or even someone at the Nasri/Hleb level dare I say it...) who can pick a final pass but also dictate play through the middle when in deeper situations if necessary. We desperately lack someone like that which is why our attacking play tends to be slow to transition up the pitch quickly and we become predictable.

Look at the pass Cesc picks out at about 12 seconds:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NU4EnS2ziEc

We currently have nobody with that ability, awareness and quickness of thought to play that sort of ball. Those sorts of passes are goal defining.
Cesc was a true joy to watch at Arsenal.

If Zelalem is anything like him we are very lucky indeed. Certainly some his passes are very reminiscent of Cesc. At 16 he has a very long way to go before he is ready for the first team.
Pretty sure I big enforcer and a class goal keeper are much bigger priorities. In Arteta and Cazorla you have two of the best passers in the PL.

Put it this way. Arsenal get Begovic, Suarez and Fellani/Capoue/a good enforcer I can't think of right now. Enough to contend for the top 3 providing none of the first team leave? I reckon so.
I love Cazorla as much as anyone else, but he isn't at the same level as Cesc.

Meier

I love Cazorla as much as anyone else, but he isn't at the same level as Cesc.

Cazorla disappeared for a bit at times, but production wise, his first season was better than almost every year Cesc played at Arsenal. He had a pretty fantastic year and could be even better this season. I'm sure if he had a high quality striker, he would have bagged another 5 assists or so.

Lindegaard; Rafael, Evans, Vidic, Evra; Nani, Carrick, Anderson, Zaha; Giggs, van Persie

Nani and Zaha wings, yessss.

If Kagawa was playing instead of old man Giggs it would be perfect.

You are suggesting that the move is done and we are just waiting for a statement. Thats a big claim.

Whatever. The guy is out, there's no other end to the story and if you wanna get hung up on details go ahead. The outcome is the same.

At this point you really are just waiting for an official statement, to know for how much he has been sold. Nothing else.

Dragon's Crown looks pretty good, even though I've never really tried playing a beat'em up aside from that sidescrolling mode in Tekken :p

Shame about the sporadic DOAitis which, to be honest, makes the game look a little puerile

Wilbur

Banned
Lindegaard; Rafael, Evans, Vidic, Evra; Nani, Carrick, Anderson, Zaha; Giggs, van Persie

Nani and Zaha wings, yessss.

If Kagawa was playing instead of old man Giggs it would be perfect.

Missing the game because of work, but yeah, swap Giggs and Lindegaard, arguably Vidic/Evans, and that's our strongest team. Come on Moysey. Just a bit more. A bit more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom