• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2013/14 | OT3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
Wouldn't that make him unavailable for Europa League matches?

I don't think playing in the qualifiers stops you playing in the group phase if you transfer. He might not be able to play in our Europa qualifier (if we have to play one, I can't remember).

subtles

Out of interest, why exactly is there a gap of months between releases of a Japanese game in the USA, and in Europe (especially the UK)

Same game, same language. The only difference is the Region number as far as I can tell

Some companies don't have branches i.e Atlus, and others take the existing translation and do their own QA, adding languages, etc. I guess more than anything the parent company wants the revenue spread out over the financial year.

Bloody hell Paddy Crerand is a twat.

Just said Valencia going to Benitez's funeral was a "daft little thing" disrupting our pre-season.

Some companies don't have branches i.e Atlus, and others take the existing translation and do their own QA, adding languages, etc. I guess more than anything the parent company wants the revenue spread out over the financial year.

Lame. I understand why it takes a while longer in mainland Europe, but in the UK we'll be basically getting the American version, with added language options that will only be used by like 5% of the buyers.

Wonder if the online would be screwed up if I imported it.

@Viva, he should be discliplined for that, and MUTV should use it as an excuse to sack the cunt

@Usho and Splatt, cheers :)

subtles

Lame. I understand why it takes a while longer in mainland Europe, but in the UK we'll be basically getting the American version, with added language options that will only be used by like 5% of the buyers.

Wonder if the online would be screwed up if I imported it.

@Viva, he should be discliplined for that, and MUTV should use it as an excuse to sack the cunt

@Usho and Splatt, cheers :)

Fire Emblem: Awakening is a great example. Here is one such translation (edit:not really) change:

NA:
"And they said they bet your boingy bits are white as snow and soft as pillows."

EU:
"You know! Your Hair! it's so sleek, and shiny and stylish!"

LTWheels

Out of interest, why exactly is there a gap of months between releases of a Japanese game in the USA, and in Europe (especially the UK)

Same game, same language. The only difference is the Region number as far as I can tell

Because the Japanese companies don't have official distributors in Europe to publish the game. Mainly if the company is too small, it's probably not cost-effective for them.

So what ends up happening is very small publishing/distributing houses in Europe but in bids to distribute the game. This can take time. in some situations it can be resolved even before the Japanese release.

Apparently the changes needed to make the game work on European consoles and past certification actually have to be done by the Japanese development studio. This is as the publishing studios in Europe are so small they have no development team to make the changes.

This is where the problem occurs and why games take ages to come out in Europe. The actual changes needed to make the game run on European consoles is very small. The problem arises as the Japanese development teams have already moved onto other projects and can't really be arsed about making the required changes. The European publishing houses don't have the 'power' (due to their size) to force the Japanese devs to hurry up.

Apparently Atlus and Arcs only sent the European versions of P4A to the European publishers in April this year. Considering that the game came out in the US in September last year. P4A was finally released in Europe in May. The European publisher was expecting to have the game released around October to the end of the year, but they had to wait for the Japanese teams that took their time. In the end their were no differences in the EU version. No extra languages or nothing.

Some times the Japanese devs making the changes don't even bother to properly bug test. Take Devil Survivor Overclocked. Came out in the US in August 2011. In the EU it came out at the end of March 2013. The game was full of bugs that were not in the US version. On character creation first names would swap with last names, and the game would always crash when trying to summon a monster.

It really comes down to the bargaining power between the Japanese company and the European distributor. The games don't sell well enough in Europe for the Japanese company to set up their own distributor or sign with a big publisher in Europe. The small distributors competing for the game have no power to speed up the Japanese developers.

ShogunX

Apparently him calling off the move was just a misunderstanding. I expect this will happen quickly, Steaua play their CL qualifier tonight and after that he can leave, with our CB situation we need him ASAP.

He's such a stereotypical mobster -

Jan 2011: Becali is given a warning by the Romanian FA for cancelling a transfer because he thought the player was gay - "I'd rather dissolve the club than allow a gay to play for Steaua."

Mar 2011: Becali, asked on live TV how he feels about Rapid Bucharest president Dinu Gheorghe making public reference to Becali's first job as a shepherd. "What? He is a filthy jerk. A fat bum. I'll force this Gypsy back up his mother. I'm tired of him, all his irony and jokes. He forces me to lose control! He's way out of line."

Apr 2011: Becali says outgoing FC Dinamo chairman Cristian Borcea's decision to divorce his wife and marry a model is "fine by God". "A man can choose. As God said: man is man and woman is whore."

What the fuck.

subtles

Because the Japanese companies don't have official distributors in Europe to publish the game. Mainly if the company is too small, it's probably not cost-effective for them.

So what ends up happening is very small publishing/distributing houses in Europe but in bids to distribute the game. This can take time. in some situations it can be resolved even before the Japanese release.

Apparently the changes needed to make the game work on European consoles and past certification actually have to be done by the Japanese development studio. This is as the publishing studios in Europe are so small they have no development team to make the changes.

This is where the problem occurs and why games take ages to come out in Europe. The actual changes needed to make the game run on European consoles is very small. The problem arises as the Japanese development teams have already moved onto other projects and can't really be arsed about making the required changes. The European publishing houses don't have the 'power' (due to their size) to force the Japanese devs to hurry up.

Apparently Atlus and Arcs only sent the European versions of P4A to the European publishers in April this year. Considering that the game came out in the US in September last year. P4A was finally released in Europe in May. The European publisher was expecting to have the game released around October to the end of the year, but they had to wait for the Japanese teams that took their time. In the end their were no differences in the EU version. No extra languages or nothing.

Some times the Japanese devs making the changes don't even bother to properly bug test. Take Devil Survivor Overclocked. Came out in the US in August 2011. In the EU it came out at the end of March 2013. The game was full of bugs that were not in the US version. On character creation first names would swap with last names, and the game would always crash when trying to summon a monster.

It really comes down to the bargaining power between the Japanese company and the European distributor. The games don't sell well enough in Europe for the Japanese company to set up their own distributor or sign with a big publisher in Europe. The small distributors competing for the game have no power to speed up the Japanese developers.

Fire Emblem was a great example because the game took two months after the US release to make it to the EU and NOE doesn't have the same logistics issues as a company like Atlus.

Sometimes the opposite is true, NOA waited to see how the market in the EU responded to the Operation Rainfall games before making a commitment. iirc Reggie said the games coming over had a lot less to do with the actual campaign than Market viability. Inazuma Eleven only sees EU releases due to this outlook.

Cheers. That sucks :(

You'd think the publisher of the American version would just say 'it'll probably take us about a day to get the game localised for the UK, we might as well take those rights as well.'

:p

LTWheels

Cheers. That sucks :(

You'd think the publisher of the American version would just say 'it'll probably take us about a day to get the game localised for the UK, we might as well take those rights as well.'

:p

That's what NIS America is starting to do. They have been picking up the European rights for 'bigger' niche games. They published P4G in Europe. It was only 3 months after the US compared to the normal 6 months-2years. They have got Dragon's Crown for Europe as well. So far they have said 'fall'. Hopefully this means our definition of Autumn. Not too big of a gap.

With Nintendo, I think it's a case of them trying to space out their releases around third party releases so there is no drought and constant release of games for the 3ds.

Brinbe

Can't finish for shit
LLShC.gif

Poor Nani. He was beasting this pre season (the u21 game, the betis game, and this game) too.

And now Gohan is playing out of position.

dc89

City struggling to get the ball against Bayern was one thing. This is just silly, United can't keep the ball!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom