• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2013/14 | OT3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Salvadora

Cazorla disappeared for a bit at times, but production wise, his first season was better than almost every year Cesc played at Arsenal. He had a pretty fantastic year and could be even better this season. I'm sure if he had a high quality striker, he would have bagged another 5 assists or so.
Those statistics are a bit deceiving as Cazorla played considerable more for Arsenal in his first season than Cesc did in any of his later seasons. But yeah you're right, in terms of goals and assists his first season draws favourable comparisons to Cesc and with a better striker he could have perhaps got quite a bit more. But in terms of passing I don't think he quite belong at the same table (yet, perhaps).

Kagawa not in the squad. Adnan not even on the freaking plane.

Bebe on the bench.

When will this nightmare end.

Shinji isn't even on the bench. What's the point of bringing him then Moyes?
So annoying. Guess that means he will play on Friday against Sevilla with the others but I'm gonna miss that game :(

fuenf

City? For those €35m he can choose any club he wants.
I hope it's BVB lol

Does he even wish to play abroad? I could see him staying in Dortmund for a really long time as Bayern will most likely go for Draxler instead and Barca doesnt need him anymore. If Real gets Bale they should be out of the running too, what's left? I can't envision him at PSG, City, Chelsea or Monaco. That makes United the only wild card left.

The Anzhi dream might be over folks. Rumours that the team will have a drastically reduced budget and will ship out some of their more expensive players.

Good work secret agent Denisov!

Kagawa not in the squad. Adnan not even on the freaking plane.

Bebe on the bench.

When will this nightmare end.

So annoying. Guess that means he will play on Friday against Sevilla with the others but I'm gonna miss that game :(

I don't understand Moyes. Why bring Bebe at all? He's not going to contribute shit this season. Why not use his spot towards someone that will contribute or can at least excite fans?

And bringing a first team player, but not even using him is pointless. If you're not planning on using Shinji, just let him stay with De Gea, Chicha, Fabio, etc...

Showaddy

Whatever. The guy is out, there's no other end to the story and if you wanna get hung up on details go ahead. The outcome is the same.

At this point you really are just waiting for an official statement, to know for how much he has been sold. Nothing else.

Eh frankly Real Madrid just saying fuck you not worth it is getting more and more likely by the day.

Jonathan Barnett being Bale's agent just makes this whole 'saga' way to dodgy for me.

subtles

Dragon's Crown looks pretty good, even though I've never really tried playing a beat'em up aside from that sidescrolling mode in Tekken :p

Shame about the sporadic DOAitis which, to be honest, makes the game look a little puerile

I was playing multiplayer with my friends earlier and the game is really fun. I haven't encountered any of the reported frame-rate issues (?) nor have I had any problems with losing my characters due to blending. (I've been playing Vanillaware's games since GrimGrimoire/Odin Sphere so I may just be oblivious to it as my friend was complaining).

I don't understand Moyes. Why bring Bebe at all? He's not going to contribute shit this season. Why not use his spot towards someone that will contribute or can at least excite fans?

And bringing a first team player, but not even using him is pointless. If you're not planning on using Shinji, just let him stay with De Gea, Chicha, Fabio, etc...
I have no idea dude. All I can think of is that either he wants to "give everyone a chance" or he thinks he can somehow flog Bebe.

Think Kagawa travelled so he could train with the most of the first team though, he's quite behind the rest in terms of pre-season. I'm quite worried Hernandez and Valencia haven't featured at all, they're gonna be slow going into the season.

Edit - He might be injured though, guess we'll find out when the broadcast starts.

Wilbur

Banned
Yeah, I don't understand why Kagawa even travelled.

Wonder what our community shield line up is gonna look like? Similar to today's I think, but with Kagawa, DDG and maybe Rooney.

The Anzhi dream might be over folks. Rumours that the team will have a drastically reduced budget and will ship out some of their more expensive players.

Good work secret agent Denisov!

:lol

Maybe you will get CL after all. Feel for Rene tho.

GHG

Pretty sure I big enforcer and a class goal keeper are much bigger priorities. In Arteta and Cazorla you have two of the best passers in the PL.

Put it this way. Arsenal get Begovic, Suarez and Fellani/Capoue/a good enforcer I can't think of right now. Enough to contend for the top 3 providing none of the first team leave? I reckon so.

We don't play with an "enforcer type". It doesn't fit our system in the same way that Man United don't play with an "enforcer", nor do Barca. I'm a believer that the "enforcer" is not a necessity if you are playing with a 3 man midfield because you cover more ground and give up less space automatically if you have 3 midfielders in there rather than 2. That is, provided all 3 midfielders have defensive and tactical discipline.

Fellaini, although capable of playing that role, is probably more comfortable playing in the most advanced midfield position, similar to the way that Yaya Toure is. Fellani would be a good buy because he can fill in any of our 3 midfield roles, but for the money being touted I'm not sure he'd be worth it.

Arteta assumes the role of a deep lying playmaker for us, its his job to mop up and distribute, not provide direct assists. Wenger seems to prefer for Cazorla to play in a free role from the left wing to provide us with more defensive balance and better ball retention capabilities in comparison to when Podolski plays out there. On the other side Theo frequently makes runs in between the fullback and centreback so his defensive duties will always be limited so we can't afford a situation where we are exposed on both flanks immediately if we lose the ball high up the pitch. That leaves 2 spots next to Arteta in the midfield.

One player as the box to box ball carrier (Wilshire/Ramsey/Diaby and Ox more recently) who can run all day and provide a direct link between the defense and attack but also support Arteta when necessary when it comes to winning the ball back. The other should be an out and out AM who plays in between the lines and can make the final decisive pass. Rosicky is currently favored in this position but apart from that we have nobody else who can play here unless we move Cazorla into this role. Rosicky is good at ball carrying, but not good enough at picking the right pass. Someone like Hamsik/Coutinho would be perfect. If not then we should get someone like Bernard to play in the Wide playmaker role and brink Cazorla inside to Rosicky's position.

We also need cover for Arteta. So:

---------arteta/cover-------Wilshire/Ramsey-------
Theo---------------New AM-----------Cazorla
---------------------Suarez------------------------------

or:

---------Arteta/cover-------Wilshire/Ramsey-------
Theo---------------Cazorla-----------New Wide Playmaker
---------------------Suarez------------------------------

Sorry for the longish post but it grinds my gears when people say we need an enforcer type of midfielder, it couldn't be further from the truth based on the system that we have played since 2009.

Eh frankly Real Madrid just saying fuck you not worth it is getting more and more likely by the day.

Jonathan Barnett being Bale's agent just makes this whole 'saga' way to dodgy for me.

Florentino needs a galactico signing. It's not just a player he needs, and right now Bale is the only one who fits the bill.

I have no idea dude. All I can think of is that either he wants to "give everyone a chance" or he thinks he can somehow flog Bebe.

Think Kagawa travelled so he could train with the most of the first team though, he's quite behind the rest in terms of pre-season. I'm quite worried Hernandez and Valencia haven't featured at all, they're gonna be slow going into the season.

Edit - He might be injured though, guess we'll find out when the broadcast starts.

:lol at the Japanese fans that payed for PPV and no Shinji.

iAL9HWIkiK0CZ.gif

kharma45

Just got a text offering me a part in the new Dracula film as a peasant, pity I'm working tomorrow already. Pay was awesome.

Showaddy

Florentino needs a galactico signing. It's not just a player he needs, and right now Bale is the only one who fits the bill.

Yeah but if the rumours are true, are RM fans going to be happy seeing their club get absolutely rinsed for an absurd sum of money + their most promising home grown player? It would kinda defeat the purpose of a 'Galactico' signing.

Which is ignoring the fact RM can't even afford the sums of money that are being thrown about and they still owe Tottenham £15 odd million for Luka Modric.

Out of interest, why exactly is there a gap of months between releases of a Japanese game in the USA, and in Europe (especially the UK)

Same game, same language. The only difference is the Region number as far as I can tell

confuziz

Banned
Out of interest, why exactly is there a gap of months between releases of a Japanese game in the USA, and in Europe (especially the UK)

Same game, same language. The only difference is the Region number as far as I can tell

Multiple translations, complex infrastructure etc.

Sviatoslav, is Djordjevic any good?
He definitely has potential, but he got barely any playing time with us. I like him and I think this loan is exactly what he needs. might bandwagon Twente this season if he gets significant playing time for them.

Is it good? I have Tales of Abyss on 3DS.

Well I just got it so I haven't played it but I know I'll enjoy it since I'm a huge fan of the series. If you like Abyss though, then you should definitely give Xillia a try.

subtles

Started it the other night. So good.

3DS Bros - anyone looking forward to Bravely Default? I know I am.

While I'm very happy Bravely Default is getting exposure/love, it saddens me that FF: the 4 heroes of light (great game) was basically left for dead, and this game is suppose to be a spiritual successor of sorts. Whatever Nintendo did right this generation, (Directs,Marketing) has made previously niche titles like Fire Emblem break previous sales records. Very encouraging.

confuziz

Banned
He definitely has potential, but he got barely any playing time with us. I like him and I think this loan is exactly what he needs. might bandwagon Twente this season if he gets significant playing time for them.

Well I just got it so I haven't played it but I know I'll enjoy it since I'm a huge fan of the series. If you like Abyss though, then you should definitely give Xillia a try though.

Well Twente only has 1 striker atm (Castaignos) and he is probably the worst striker I have ever seen (well not counting Marcus Berg) so he will probably get a lot of minutes with the first team.

Apparently him calling off the move was just a misunderstanding. I expect this will happen quickly, Steaua play their CL qualifier tonight and after that he can leave, with our CB situation we need him ASAP.

Wouldn't that make him unavailable for Europa League matches?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom