• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2013/14 | OT3

Status
Not open for further replies.

FootballFan

Whoops, I was skimming over what you said. Still, I think Lippi would be higher if not for the 2010 World Cup. That was a pathetic display you have to admit.

Looks like Ricki Herbert is finally getting the recognition he deserves.

Getting the All Whites to an undefeated World Cup journey and placing above the then World Cup champions Italy, what an achievement.

Can't blame Lippi bro.

Yeah, they wish lol

But Dutch club football gotten a lot worse over the past few years. And with more and more money in all those little countries in the east it won't get any easier for us. Especially the Russian clubs of course with their fucktons of money.

I get what you're saying but this Russian money myth has to stop though. With Anzhi capitulating Zenit will be the only Russian club with a "fuck ton of money". The budgets of the rest of the leading Russian clubs are quite modest.

jtb

Banned
time to start looking elsewhere I guess. while I don't think it's as definitive as Henry's claiming it to be, I have my doubts as to whether we're actually going to make another bid above 40m anyways so... meh.

the way I see it—it's all in Suarez's hands now. just how far is he willing to go to agitate for a move?

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
Whoops, I was skimming over what you said. Still, I think Lippi would be higher if not for the 2010 World Cup. That was a pathetic display you have to admit.

Fuck you! Don't read my posts if you're going to skim them then.
RtnGSOF.gif

And It was, yes. I expected nothing more though. :p

PaulLFC

dc'ing?

Tony Barrett ‏@TonyBarretTimes 59s

#LFC owner @John_W_Henry today told the national media that Luis Suarez will not be allowed to join Arsenal (or anyone else) this summer.
Don't even know how I feel about this any more. He'd be a big loss as a player but his attitude wouldn't. The way he's treated the fans, the club and his teammates I don't know what sort of reaction he'd get, both from within the club and outside, if he's still here in a month.

Slizz

Don't even know how I feel about this any more. He'd be a big loss as a player but his attitude wouldn't. The way he's treated the fans, the club and his teammates I don't know what sort of reaction he'd get, both from within the club and outside, if he's still here in a month.

First couple of goals probably erase the attitudes.

Because Feyenoord is gonna Feyenoord.

It's because of money. It's all just a vicious cycle. Having hard times > less money coming in > can't spend money on new and better players > don't win anything > even less money coming in etc.

Meanwhile Ajax is stuck in a cycle where they do have money so they can get better and better until they fuck up.

I said analyserssss, not just one person believes that. It's okay man, Bale is pretty marketable.

BRLDgL2CEAAAkxY.jpg

Well they're wrong. Ronaldo is more famous, is a better player, and is better looking bro. Beckham is #1 in marketability.

There wasn't any transparency to how they reached their conclusion either.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
time to start looking elsewhere I guess. while I don't think it's as definitive as Henry's claiming it to be, I have my doubts as to whether we're actually going to make another bid above 40m anyways so... meh.

the way I see it—it's all in Suarez's hands now. just how far is he willing to go to agitate for a move?

Why did you guys pass on Bernard?

sohois

I've just seen that ESPN have a countdown of greatest managers. This link on Paisley's 3 European Cups by Miguel Delaney has individual links to each case for the manager - http://espnfc.com/columns/story/_/i...-modern-management-throwing-different-demands

• No. 20: Fabio Capello
• No. 19: Udo Lattek
• No. 18: Pep Guardiola
• No. 17: Jock Stein
• No. 16: Bela Guttmann
• No. 15: Marcello Lippi
• No. 14: Ernst Happel
• No. 13: Ottmar Hitzfeld
• No. 12: Giovanni Trapattoni
• No. 11: Vicente del Bosque
• No. 10: Bill Shankly
• No. 9: Jose Mourinho
• No. 8: Valeri Lobanovsky
• No. 7: Sir Matt Busby
• No. 6: Arrigo Sacchi
• No. 5: Helenio Herrera
• No. 4: Bob Paisley
• No. 3: Brian Clough

I'm assuming Ferguson is 1 or 2, but can't think of who else. Cruyff maybe? Would have thought Paisley'd be ahead of him.

Helmut Schon is the most successful international manager who isn't mentioned, Miguel Munoz the most successful club manager, so either is a possible nominee I guess.

edit: and a more 'hipster' choice, which I could totally see them going for as click bait, would be Gusztav Sebes, who was the coach of the great Hungarian team of the 1950s.

Feorax

I think JWH has it spot on.

We can't sell to Arsenal without directly fucking our own ambitions, and if he feels it's now too late to get a suitable replacement in, then he should not be sold.

In other news, just seen the Cissokho quotes. Seems fairly nailed on now.

Linius

I get what you're saying but this Russian money myth has to stop though. With Anzhi capitulating Zenit will be the only Russian club with a "fuck ton of money". The budgets of the rest of the leading Russian clubs are quite modest.

Pretty sure Ajax already lost the battle moneywise compared to the Russian clubs. And if you go further down the rankings in our league the money they own drops big time. Meanwhile in eastern Europe clubs are on the rise. But money isn't everything of course, we can always beat City for some confidence.

jtb

Banned
Why did you guys pass on Bernard?

I suspect it's either because 1) 3rd party ownership is convoluted and a giant pain or 2) he'd replace Gervinho and we weren't actually sure if he'd be sold or not. Or maybe just general incompetence—you can never really tell with Wenger anymore.

Pretty sure Ajax already lost the battle moneywise compared to the Russian clubs. And if you go further down the rankings in our league the money they own drops big time. Meanwhile in eastern Europe clubs are on the rise. But money isn't everything of course, we can always beat City for some confidence.

Really? I remember you guys spending 16 million on Sulejmani lol. CSKA for example have never bought a player for more than 10 million. Spartak's most expensive purchase is 12 million. Loko's is less than 8 million, etc. People overrate how "rich" Russian clubs are.

Do you know how much Ajax yearly budget is approximately? I would actually be interested to see how it compares to some of the Russian teams.

Empty

it's pretty interesting how hard both rooney and suarez are pushing to leave and creating a toxic atmosphere around them at their clubs, yet how difficult both clubs have made it to justify selling them - liverpool by henry's statements on twitter and in the press, united by not signing anyone, both by having the only suitors be direct rivals

Timber

I've just seen that ESPN have a countdown of greatest managers. This link on Paisley's 3 European Cups by Miguel Delaney has individual links to each case for the manager - http://espnfc.com/columns/story/_/i...-modern-management-throwing-different-demands

I'm assuming Ferguson is 1 or 2, but can't think of who else. Cruyff maybe? Would have thought Paisley'd be ahead of him.

Rinus Michels

PaulLFC

I think JWH has it spot on.

We can't sell to Arsenal without directly fucking our own ambitions, and if he feels it's now too late to get a suitable replacement in, then he should not be sold.

In other news, just seen the Cissokho quotes. Seems fairly nailed on now.
I 100% agree that we shouldn't sell to Arsenal, in fact to anyone in the PL - I would have probably sold him to Madrid if the offer was good enough, but if the board feel that we can't get a decent replacement in in time then I'm glad we've decided not to sell.

If Suarez complains just fine him and stick him in the reserves til he stops sulking - which will be soon - he might be first choice for Uruguay but he still needs match fitness to play for them.

Hopefully it doesn't come to that and he decides to treat the club with a bit of respect.

Linius

Really? I remember you guys spending 16 million on Sulejmani lol. CSKA for example have never bought a player for more than 10 million. Spartak's most expensive purchase is 12 million. Loko's is less than 8 million, etc. People overrate how "rich" Russian clubs are.

Do you know how much Ajax yearly budget is approximately? I would actually be interested to see how it compares to some of the Russian teams.

Yeah, that 16 million was crazy. Worst player we ever bought probably considering the price we paid.

And I might be overrating Russian money. I'll do better research next time. I'm on my phone right now :p

Feorax

it's pretty interesting how hard both rooney and suarez are pushing to leave and creating a toxic atmosphere around them at their clubs, yet how difficult both clubs have made it to justify selling them - liverpool by henry's statements on twitter and in the press, united by not signing anyone

I think both would be acting differently if they had an offer that actually benefited them. As it stands, neither do, so the clubs need to appear strong.

FWIW, I don't think there is a realistic offer that benefits LFC at this point, so JWH's statement is fairly justified.

Showed this to a couple of friends and their immediate response was Herbert Chapman.

Know next to nothing about him myself.

pulga

Banned

List is bullshit, VdB should be in top 5 easily. CL+WC+Euro

jtb

Banned
this being a world cup year seems to be a recurring theme in the Rooney/Suarez sagas, but... even if Suarez and Rooney have terrible seasons or don't play for many games due to the ongoing transfer sagas/general whininess—it's still very difficult for me to see any scenario in which they don't go to Brazil. seems like match fitness would be the biggest problem, more than any worries about form/attitude.

I said analyserssss, not just one person believes that. It's okay man, Bale is pretty marketable.

You know why right? It's a prediction of the next 3 years. His big time move to Barcelona was one of the factors, but the by far the biggest factor in that prediction is the next year's World Cup in Brazil where he is a huge star.

This doesn't mean Neymar will earn more money than Messi or Ronaldo, who according to Forbes makes the same amount.

Linius

this being a world cup year seems to be a recurring theme in the Rooney/Suarez sagas, but... even if Suarez and Rooney have terrible seasons or don't play for many games due to the ongoing transfer sagas/general whininess—it's still very difficult for me to see any scenario in which they don't go to Brazil. seems like match fitness would be the biggest problem, more than any worries about form/attitude.

This being a WC year made our captain decide to stay with us :D

Feorax

Match fitness is a massive problem because neither will have another World Cup in their prime. Neither should be happy to be out of shape for this tournament above all others.

Look how much the 8 match ban fucked Suarez's form, imagine what 4 months would do.

England probably won't even get there so Wazza Roon can rest easy, he won't be risking anything.

Wilbur

Banned
Showed this to a couple of friends and their immediate response was Herbert Chapman.

Know next to nothing about him myself.

Ah yeah that's a good choice too! Plus treble winner and two club CL winner Heynckes surely should have been in with a shout. Don't think they'll have another British person though, that means their top 4 would all be British.

Unless SAF isn't even on it /twist

List is bullshit, VdB should be in top 5 easily. CL+WC+Euro

Ehh... I agree with Yurt that VdB is very fortunate to have the bulk of his Spanish players all in one Barcelona side, and the rest of such high quality. Not to say he isn't deserving of a place on the list, just that I think in context his achievements aren't as incredible as they appear.

Linius

In 20 years Frank de Boer is on that list. We'll have won the treble by then. He moves on to Barça to win another treble. Then leads The Netherlands to WC glory. Bookmark this post.

pulga

Banned
Ah yeah that's a good choice too! Plus treble winner and two club CL winner Heynckes surely should have been in with a shout. Don't think they'll have another British person though, that means their top 4 would all be British.

Unless SAF isn't even on it /twist

Ehh... I agree with Yurt that VdB is very fortunate to have the bulk of his Spanish players all in one Barcelona side, and the rest of such high quality. Not to say he isn't deserving of a place on the list, just that I think in context his achievements aren't as incredible as they appear.

So we just ignore his earlier achievements? Ligas, CLs with Madrid?

Lightning

Banned
Rooney has less to worry about. The English press and FA to spit tacks at United if he is not getting match fitness ahead of the World Cup.

For Suarez no fucks will be given by anyone.

pulga

Banned
Oh shit did anyone go to this at Chelsea's would be awesome stadium?

1150981_536712759715773_1637569995_n.jpg

Going to one here in CR on Saturday!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom