• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2013/14 | OT3

Status
Not open for further replies.

jtb

Banned
Loooooool! What the fuck Arsenal?!

The price jumped like 10m in the process though. I don't know if it raised because we didn't put in a bid and dragged our feet in typical Arsenal fashion or just because Madrid felt like it, but it seems like that was a pretty big reason why Napoli got him. They were willing to pay over the odds for him, we weren't.

Feorax

The price jumped like 10m in the process though. I don't know if it raised because we didn't put in a bid and dragged our feet in typical Arsenal fashion or just because Madrid felt like it, but it seems like that was a pretty big reason why Napoli got him. They were willing to pay over the odds for him, we weren't.

I get that he went for an inflated fee, but all we heard was that Real kept moving the goalposts which is why Arsenal couldn't agree a deal. How is that possible if Arsenal never put forward an offer to be considered in the first place?

jtb

Banned
I get that he went for an inflated fee, but all we heard was that Real kept moving the goalposts which is why Arsenal couldn't agree a deal. How is that possible if Arsenal never put forward an offer to be considered in the first place?

Whoever's running the transfers doesn't seem to like bidding for players during negotiations, only after a price is final (I think the Suarez release clause business speaks to this also, which makes me skeptical of whether we'll even come back with an improved bid). Bernard is another one where we were linked to him throughout the summer, apparently made an official enquiry, and then never bothered to follow it up with a bid. General incompetence at the board level, I guess.

Feorax

Whoever's running the transfers doesn't seem to like bidding for players during negotiations, only after a price is final (I think the Suarez release clause business speaks to this also, which makes me skeptical of whether we'll even come back with an improved bid). Bernard is another one where we were linked to him throughout the summer, apparently made an official enquiry, and then never bothered to follow it up with a bid. General incompetence at the board level, I guess.

If this is the case, then surely this is the last summer this should be allowed to happen.

Arsenal aren't wallowing where we are, they're a CL club, which is a position they HAVE to take advantage of whilst they can. Not unlike us in 2010, Arsenal are not in a position where they could bounce back from a season outside of the CL.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
*Random*

Happy birthday Pippo Inzaghi. :]

s071204_uefa.jpg

tumblr_m7426inysE1rwkiq1o1_1280.jpg

Pippo Inzaghi's favorite meal (as revealed in Conte's book)- penne with a little bit of pomodoro & breasaola (a lean cold cut)

Conte mentioned in his book that Inzaghi counted the amount of penne in his dish, he had that meal all the time.

GorillaJu

I believed the Suarez deal might be over after seeing JW Henrys comments today, pretty confident it's still on. It'll take a >45m pound bid for it to happen though. The kicker was when he said they wouldn't sell to a foreign club. Posturing of the highest order. Besides didn't he say similar stuff with Torres? It's between Arsenal and RM now, and I'd say it's about time for Kroenke to finally make himself useful, it didn't slip my notice that JW mentioned him in the interview.

Not sure in what other way this can be interpreted.

"For all the top clubs it's extremely important [not to sell to a rival] but especially for Liverpool because we're not in Europe this year and have not been in the Champions League for a while. To sell to a rival for those positions, or one of them, would be ludicrous. Liverpool needs to be playing in Europe. It needs to be playing in the Champions League. That's what Liverpool football club is about."

Seems pretty indicative to me. Suarez may indeed move but Arsenal just can't be the destination. You guys are the most vulnerable looking of the CL clubs. Wenger has done a good job keeping a team lacking in top class quality in the top four, but just like Unite, Arsenal have never looked completely solid, even when winning games. You guys are clearly the top target to be overthrown by all the clubs aiming for CL football.

I'm reading through ASOIAF for the first time. Currently on Storm of Swords.

Catelyn is even more of a dumb, selfish piece of shit than in the show. Christ, I hate having to read through her stupid, self-absorbed, and arrogant thought processes; it makes it much worse than in the show, where I only had to watch her do stupid things. What a shit head. I'm glad her chapters will be ending soon . . .

Arnie

hahhahahahahahahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahha\

ARSENAL

LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOLL

JOHNHENRY JUST FUCKED YOU

loool

Feorax

what happened to Diego Costa moving to Liverpool? I thought his release clause was met?

Probably one of 2 things;

1. Media have jumped the gun and we've bid under the clause to see what Atletico's position is and if there's any chance we could get him cheaper.

2. We've met the clause and are waiting to see what Costa wants to do.

I expect we'll see movement or an end to this within a week.

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
NBC's coverage looks like it will be good and I like the preview shows they're already doing. NBC seems to be making a big push with its marketing.

Lightning

Banned
what happened to Diego Costa moving to Liverpool? I thought his release clause was met?
I read Atletico don't want to sell so with Thiago and Asier's transfers Liverpool may need to bid over the release clause to get him and the player is said to not want to force the issue.

So basically player doesn't give a toss either way but Liverpool need to satisfy Atletico first.

L1NETT

Fun bit of trivia. Where did Arshavin make his debut?

Against us, in the fucking Intertoto cup lol. Great competition

That's awesome. Where is that, the van pitch side made me laugh

That's our home game yesterday against FC Norsdsjaelland. Arshavin got a goal + assist off the bench.

Fun bit of trivia. Where did Arshavin make his debut?

Against us, in the fucking Intertoto cup lol. Great competition

I remember that! That was the first year Zenit played in Europe since I was born.

Salvadora

We're heading out of the top four with the vault full of money.

bud

linked by whom? players are linked with all kinds of clubs every transfer window, but i very much doubt the validity of over 90% of those stories.

GorillaJu

I'm curious about what will come of Costa. Probably he'll just stay on at Atletico, but I'd love to see him at Liverpool. I imagine he'd be played out wide in the role that Borini hasn't managed to shine in.

bud

fair enough, that's an official source. the point i was making, though, is that so many of these rumours and news stories seem to be based on nothing other than something pulled out of someone's ass. media outlets are mostly trying to create something just because they're desperate for hits.

GorillaJu

Their president said that we told them we would return with a bid and never did.

I don't think Bernard is ready for the PL. I rarely feel like players who are slight or small will have difficulty adapting but Bernard is one who needs time to grow into the faster pace and more physicality. He wants to go to Europe right now, though.

I think that's the primary reason there haven't been firm bids from City, Liverpool, Arsenal or Spurs. All of those clubs had been reported reliably of having shown interest but none put in a real offer.

Salvadora

fair enough, that's an official source. the point i was making, though, is that so many of these rumours and news stories seem to be based on nothing other than something pulled out of someone's ass. media outlets are mostly trying to create something just because they're desperate for hits.
I think you're completely spot on, Bud.

Just pointing out the link between Bernard & Arsenal like you asked :p
I don't think Bernard is ready for the PL. I rarely feel like players who are slight or small will have difficulty adapting but Bernard is one who needs time to grow into the faster pace and more physicality. He wants to go to Europe right now, though.

I think that's the primary reason there haven't been firm bids from City, Liverpool, Arsenal or Spurs. All of those clubs had been reported reliably of having shown interest but none put in a real offer.
I feel the same way. He will be surrounded by Brazilians in the Ukraine and will have time to develop as a player, and to Europe before potentially moving to a big club. Moving to an English club now could put too much pressure on him, especially if he is responsible for breaking Arsenal's transfer record (lol).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom