• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2013/14 | OT3

Status
Not open for further replies.
We've loaned Piazon to Vitesse for the year. God, I hope he comes good for us next year.

I was hoping for a premier league loan personally. I thought Loftus Cheek was going to go on loan after impressing in the post season US tour but he is playing tonight at the u21s. I guess he still has time as McEachren and Chalobah are both playing too.

jtb

Banned
Oh come on, you don't think it would cause massive problems for Henry if he sold Suarez to Arsenal now? Have you seen our fanbase? He'd be crucified.

And of course it'd be embarrassing. He's made a promise that he won't be sold and given reasons why. If he sold to Arsenal he'd look incredibly weak.

I can't fathom why he'd feel the need to say what he said only to go back on it. It would have been different if it was Rodgers, or Ayre, but this is the owner.

It's over, let it go.

He'd be crucified... and then what? He owns the club.

Arsenal being the weakest club in the top 4? that's a reason not to sell. No replacements available? that's a reason not to sell. Suarez worth more than 40m? that's a reason not to sell.

Embarrassment and posturing? I don't really think that's a factor at all. The fans are powerless and likely pretty forgiving; they know they can't hurt Henry without hurting the club, and Henry (and every club owner out there) knows that too. If Liverpool sell, it'll be because it's a good business decision (or the best bad one) for the club and I don't think looking weak really matters. Liverpool said they wouldn't sell Torres, and now Torres plays for Chelsea; Wenger said he wouldn't sell both Nasri and Fabregas in the same summer, and then proceeded to sell them both.

A promise is meaningless.

Lightning

Banned

Arsenal being the weakest club in the top 4? that's a reason not to sell. No replacements available? that's a reason not to sell. Suarez worth more than 40m? that's a reason not to sell.

Embarrassment and posturing? I don't really think that's a factor at all. The fans are powerless and likely pretty forgiving; they know they can't hurt Henry without hurting the club, and Henry (and every club owner out there) knows that too. If Liverpool sell, it'll be because it's a good business decision (or the best bad one) for the club and I don't think looking weak really matters. Liverpool said they wouldn't sell Torres, and now Torres plays for Chelsea; Wenger said he wouldn't sell both Nasri and Fabregas in the same summer, and then proceeded to sell them both.

With 51m you can find a replacement for Suarez. That is just PR bullshit.

Mastadon

Banned

Yeah, that really worked out well for Hicks and Gillett, didn't it? I understand what you're saying, but there was no reason for Henry to come out and say this. I can't understand why the owner of a club would come out to say that they 100% will not sell to a club, and then sell to him down the line. You can understand why manager's say things like that, because they're asked by the media all the time, and sometimes might not be privy to boardroom decisions. If it was to drive the price up, or to goad Madrid in to buying, then why wouldn't Rodgers or Ayre be sent out to say these things?

There's is absolutely no benefit or sense to Henry sticking his neck above the parapet if he didn't mean what he said.

With 51m you can find a replacement for Suarez. That is just PR bullshit.

Go on then, £51m to replace 23 goals and 5 assists in the League, without having Champions League or Europa League to offer. Who do you sign?

spidye

The stadium must be full of Blablurns.

Bayern fans would feel more joy if there were guys pissing on a BVB logo on the pitch for 90 minutes than they'd feel seeing Bayern play football and win 2-0.
Dortmund fans pissed at the bayern bus after winning the title. Your point?

It's normal rivalry.

Meier

United just lulling us all into a false sense of security. In all honesty, I really don't think they have a chance at the title. If Kondogbia bosses them, I wonder if they'll try and figure out his weird ownership issue and make a bid.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom