• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2013/14 | OT3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Labadal

Swapped out 5 players in my FPL team. :lol:

I don't know how many changes I have made.

Mignolet

Jose Enrique
Rat
Ivanovic
Zabaleta

Coutinho
Y. Toure
Mata

Lukaku
Hooper
Soldado

I hope I do well in GW1.

Yen

I'm off all next week. Is Dishonored something I can finish in a few nights?

I thought it was ok. Bought it full price on release day, got suckered in by the launch day hype. Halfway through the game I found it quite repetitive. It's a pretty short game.

Bought Metal Gear Rising Revengeance today.

Showaddy

I can't be the only one completely unhyped for GTA V, can I? Has everyone forgotten GTA IV? All of the information coming out for V suggests Rockstar has learned nothing from their mistakes and that V will just be more bullshit that I don't care about - online being a prime example.

Though I didn't like IV much, I loved TBOGT so I'm hyped for V. Rockstar know what they're doing.

Meier

Norwich have the 4th best odds in the "stay up" bet at 2/7. That seems like a no-brainer, I'd be tempted to bet they'd finish top half even after their shrewd spending.

Wilbur

Banned
I'm really starting to worry that Levy is overspending and we are over stretching ourselves and bringing too many players in.

You've just lost two midfielders to Hull and about to lose another one to QPR, with Sandro and Holtby still having question marks about their fitness. I don't really see the point of any Willian/Lamela transfer unless Bale goes considering you have Chadli, Lennon and Townsend but the Capoue signing makes sense.

GQman2121

Banned
I thought it was ok. Bought it full price on release day, got suckered in by the launch day hype. Halfway through the game I found it quite repetitive. It's a pretty short game.

Bought Metal Gear Rising Revengeance today.

I got it for $8 a few weeks ago, so if I don't care for it it's not big loss. I just need something different after Tomb Raider and Max Payne. I didn't want to jump into Deus Ex or Spec Ops just yet.

I still need to pickup Rising myself. Demo didn't blow me away, but it was fun enough and I love MGS.

I'm just trying to knock this backlog down before GTA, PES and Batman. I've already escaped temptation with Dragon's Crown.

Showaddy

I'm really starting to worry that Levy is overspending and we are over stretching ourselves and bringing too many players in.

I think the team spending a chunk of their Holiday on Joe Lewis' super-yacht may have something to do with this. Levy & AVB had a meeting with him and he apparently agreed to invest in some players, the man's a multi-billionaire at the end of the day.

sohois

GTA IV was enjoyable. You hyperbole much.

No, it was dull and confused. The mission design was dire and got awfully repetitive awfully quickly. Not to mention that GTA IV practically invented Ludo-narrative dissonance. The plot itself was all over the place as well, there was no driving central theme like in San Andreas, Niko was always just a passive observer going around doing everyone's busy work. Not only that but there weren't even any side characters that acted as the primary driving force; they all stuck around for a couple of missions, then either died, disappeared or became a terrible 'friend'.

Of course if you didn't like the main story or missions, there was always all of the fun and exciting things to do in the world. Oh wait, no there wasn't, there was fuck all.

Though I didn't like IV much, I loved TBOGT so I'm hyped for V. Rockstar know what they're doing.

Yeah I did hear that the 2 DLCs were better but sadly never got around to them. In fact, I'm further down on V because the last Rockstar game I played was RDR, which I felt very mediocre (I understand they were different studios but both games suffered due to the same design decisions.)

I think the team spending a chunk of their Holiday on Joe Lewis' super-yacht may have something to do with this. Levy & AVB had a meeting with him and he apparently agreed to invest in some players, the man's a multi-billionaire at the end of the day.

I know Joe Lewis has a lot of money, but I don't like the idea of Spurs not being self-sufficient or relying on a sugardaddy to be successful like Man City or Chelsea. Spurs needs to be a profitable club at the end of it all to ensure its long term viability if Tavistock decides to sell up. Getting the larger stadium built is of course the main concern, and getting into the top four on a regular basis is also, but I just want to ensure that Spurs will still be around in 50 years.

Wilbur

Banned
I know Joe Lewis has a lot of money, but I don't like the idea of Spurs not being self-sufficient or relying on a sugardaddy to be successful like Man City or Chelsea. Spurs needs to be a profitable club at the end of it all to ensure its long term viability if Tavistock decides to sell up. Getting the larger stadium built is of course the main concern, and getting into the top four on a regular basis is also, but I just want to ensure that Spurs will still be around in 50 years.

If there was any year to go for it, it had to be this one. United have just lost their most important figure. Chelsea have a manager who has to prove that returning isn't always bad. City have a manager who hasn't got any experience in the league. And Arsenal are stagnating.

It's a risk that the club absolutely had to take, in my opinion. Years of being tight with money has only worked out for Levy once. They seem like they're keeping their best player, they've added a world class striker, and players like Dembele and Lloris will only improve with more time there.

If there was any year to go for it, it had to be this one. United have just lost their most important figure. Chelsea have a manager who has to prove that returning isn't always bad. City have a manager who hasn't got any experience in the league. And Arsenal are stagnating.

It's a risk that the club absolutely had to take, in my opinion. Years of being tight with money has only worked out for Levy once. They seem like they're keeping their best player, they've added a world class striker, and players like Dembele and Lloris will only improve with more time there.

Yeah. of there has ever been a season to make a go of it then it's this one. Holding on to Bale has been key in all of this. I think it shows that Levy/Spurs are no longer a selling chairman/club. The sale of Carrick, Berbatov and Modric really hurt the club so holding onto Bale despite RM's disgraceful campaign to unsettle him and try and force a move is a very pleasing sign of things to come.

The fan in me who wants us to win trophies and get into the CL is salivating at the sight of these signings, the investor/business person in me worries that they are being done on the back of shareholder loans rather than trading profits.

Meier

Chelsea fans -- any update on Mata and Luiz? The FPL site doesn't show any sort of injury indicator but I know there was talk of it last week..

Wilbur

Banned
Had myself a little FPL dilemma where I realised I had no Spurs players so swapped Bony for Soldado and then had to make up 1.5m in the squad somewhere.

Was mad stressful.

Robbie Savages 11 top tips to engineer a transfer
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/23703265

You can go one step further with the media and enlist the help of the television companies. When I wanted to put pressure on one manager, I arranged for a camera crew to meet me at the training ground when I knew everyone was enjoying a day off.

I wanted to give the impression I was being forced to train on my own. That night, the TV report went out and I thought I had accomplished my mission. Unfortunately for me, the manager saw straight through my gimmick. It was then that I knew I had made myself look a fool.

Chelsea fans -- any update on Mata and Luiz? The FPL site doesn't show any sort of injury indicator but I know there was talk of it last week..

I'd say it will be highly unlikely to see Mata start against Hull, sure he'll probably see some game time over the first 2 games though. No idea about Luiz, did he even play against Switzerland?

Showaddy

Yeah. of there has ever been a season to make a go of it then it's this one. Holding on to Bale has been key in all of this. I think it shows that Levy/Spurs are no longer a selling chairman/club. The sale of Carrick, Berbatov and Modric really hurt the club so holding onto Bale despite RM's disgraceful campaign to unsettle him and try and force a move is a very pleasing sign of things to come.

The fan in me who wants us to win trophies and get into the CL is salivating at the sight of these signings, the investor/business person in me worries that they are being done on the back of shareholder loans rather than trading profits.

If I'm honest it wasn't selling those players that hurt us so much but the fact we sold them so late without replacements.

A big part of our 2 points from 8 games run was the fact we had no replacements for Berbatov or Carrick.

bjaelke

YoXX0Ty.jpg

SqrS9Zi.jpg
This is so stupid it deserves a repost. And if I'm not DC'ing on this, then please post it again later so we can all laugh at it one more time.

Whelan

Banned

Transfers so far (OUT)
Caulker £9m
Dempsey £6m
Huddlestone £5.25m
Livermore (loan)
Dos Santos £3.5m
Parker £3.5 (Not yet)

Total £27.25

That's not a bad return. Around half of our outlay. So far.

Tc91

Mark Ogden ‏@MOgdenTelegraph 14m
Ladbrokes offering 33/1 that #mufc win none of their opening five PL games. Anyone fancy Palace for a draw on Sept 14?

Anyone fancy a little dabble?

Wes

venison crêpe
Had myself a little FPL dilemma where I realised I had no Spurs players so swapped Bony for Soldado and then had to make up 1.5m in the squad somewhere.

Was mad stressful.

I dropped Walcott for Wilshere and suddenly started rolling in cash.

Wes

venison crêpe
Is Walcott going to play against you guys?

He got a knock yesterday, I guess we'll wait until tomorrow to find out.

Sylla is out against Arsenal so we may see Tonev come in. I'm so tempted to chuck him in my team for 5.0, he could be really good, but then I'd have three players from Villa which is a tad risky.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom