• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2013/14 | OT3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zabojnik

Marotta:"I won't mention any names, but we currently have six strikers and we need to end up with four"

It's no secret that we're looking to offload Quaglia and Matri ... but does he really have to say it, ffs? I'm sure it will make negotiating the price that much easier. For the buyers.

bobito

Banned
It doesn't have to be the same for you to draw a comparison to it.

My point is that there's been decades of human rights abuses, an illegal occupation, collective punishment of people living in Gaza and a humanitarian crisis caused by Israel. Barcelona playing in Israel is good PR for Israel, makes it look like the situation is normal and ok. The club has pretensions of humanitarianism and being 'more than a club' etc so it's hypocritical.

If you boycotted countries, organizations or people based on human rights I doubt Israel would be top of the list. I don't have an opinion either way on israel but not sure why they are picked out especially compared to other comparable situations

It doesn't have to be the same for you to draw a comparison to it.

My point is that there's been decades of human rights abuses, an illegal occupation, collective punishment of people living in Gaza and a humanitarian crisis caused by Israel. Barcelona playing in Israel is good PR for Israel, makes it look like the situation is normal and ok. The club has pretensions of humanitarianism and being 'more than a club' etc so it's hypocritical.

It was even stupider that they got the Euro u-21's.

They're not even in Europe.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
The booing of Higuain pretty much sums up the delusion of some Arsenal fans. Haven't a clue what's actually going on.

It's no secret that we're looking to offload Quaglia and Matri ... but does he really have to say it, ffs? I'm sure it will make negotiating the price that much easier. For the buyers.

One day it's "have some respect for our players" and the next "we're selling two strikers".

I'd be very happy indeed if we had a reinvigorated Nani this season.

It would be nice.

Sadly it won't happen...Nani was at his very best playing on the RW (although he can still be good on the LW, no doubt). We have Valencia and Zaha there now...so he probably won't get too many games on the RW.

And just as a general point - he needs a run of games and to be told he is the man, I just can't see that happening in our team with so many wide options - unless he really starts to show incredible form.

Ah well. I'm glad we aren't selling him for a ridiculous fee though.

kharma will be along soon...

If they are going to be allowed to be a part of Uefa, why is it outrageous for them to host a tournament?
I don't think they should be a part of UEFA either.

And the fact they were hosting the u21's is especially embarrassing when you look into how they treat the Palestinian FA and block their matches and training facilities. I don't think states and FA's like that should be allowed to host international football tournaments.

They're booing Higuain every time he touches the ball. What is their problem?

He was very close to signing for Arsenal earlier in the summer. His father came out saying it was going to happen, etc. Then Napoli became flush and bid about 15 million more than we did. I like to think that they're not booing at him in particular, but booing when he has the ball so that Wenger/the board know how they feel about our continue inadequacy in the market despite their constant talk about how much money we have. Arsenal fans booed at halftime in our game yesterday too.

demonkaze

He was very close to signing for Arsenal earlier in the summer. His father came out saying it was going to happen, etc. Then Napoli became flush and bid about 15 million more than we did. I like to think that they're not booing at him in particular, but booing when he has the ball so that Wenger/the board know how they feel about our continue inadequacy in the market despite their constant talk about how much money we have. Arsenal fans booed at halftime in our game yesterday too.

As an arsenal fan, i'm pretty embarrassed with our fans here. To boo Higuain is completely stupid. If they're booing about our board not buying him then they should chant about it/demonstrate outside of the stadium (not that it will do much good), booing Higuain is just stupid.

bobito

Banned
I don't think they should be a part of UEFA either.

And the fact they were hosting the u21's is especially embarrassing when you look into how they treat the Palestinian FA and block their matches and training facilities. I don't think states and FA's like that should be allowed to host international football tournaments.

I get your point and do not disagree that in a fairer world they wouldn't. But if you are going to let Russia host the world cup while banning gay people I think it is unfair to ban Isreal.

You could say the same thing considering racism and ban Spain tbh too!

fuenf

Poor Martinez is going to get trouble with that shirt. Hoeneß won't like this, not wearing the glorious FC Bayern's basketball shirt...

Speaking of Bayern's basketball team, it's funny that Bayern's officials don't talk too nicely about clubs like City, PSG, etc. yet they do the same shit with their basketball team lol

It's fine. Adidas is making the NBA shirts. ;)

Still my favourite Hoeneß quote from this year:

Such a huge fucking cunt lol

best part about it is that RedBull (!) will most likely build the new arena in Munich (it's for their ice hockey team but they asked Bayern to join them) :)

I get your point and do not disagree that in a fairer world they wouldn't. But if you are going to let Russia host the world cup while banning gay people I think it is unfair to ban Isreal.

You could say the same thing considering racism and ban Spain tbh too!

I agree, and with hosting tournaments it's aways a political/financial decision more than a footballing/humanitarian one - but a point worth making nonetheless.

With regards to specific clubs, I think it is sad that worldwide renowned clubs go to places like this for the money. In fairness to Barcelona I think they were in Palestine yesterday - so they visiting both areas. United for example had a soccer school launch out in Bahrain and sent Dennis Law out there to launch it, this was when the situation there was really escalating, he had to field questions about why MUFC were co-operating with a regime like that. I feel uncomfortable about things like that especially when it involved my own club, maybe it is just a footballing choice and they want to help kids play football out there...but I find it hard to believe there wasn't a financial impact swaying their choice.

Salvadora

#Arsenal team: Szczesny, Jenkinson, Sagna, Mertesacker, Gibbs, Arteta, Ramsey, Oxlade-Chamberlain, Cazorla, Walcott, Sanogo #AFCvGAL

SANOGO.

Time to see if he makes £50m-£100m headlines on the pitch.

#Arsenal subs: Martinez, Miquel, Koscielny, Zelalem, Podolski, Giroud, Akpom #AFCvGAL

So they'd rather boo higuain than say a bad thing about wenger despite the fact that all this is fault. Amazing

Yeah, it's bad form. Our fans aren't averse to a "SPEND SOME FUCKING MONEY" chant, so I dunno why they're going with booing Higuain. Probably because the crowd here is more casual and mixed supporter than usual.

Higuain absolutely can't be faulted for not coming here, especially since Madrid probably even denied him the right to negotiate with us once that Napoli bid came in.

EDIT: Sanogo starts? That should be interesting to see.

So, Braunschweig is already out of the DFB cup after losing to a second division team.

I think it's kinda cool that they are back in the Bundesliga but it's not going to be nice for them. Free points for everyone!

GHG

#Arsenal team: Szczesny, Jenkinson, Sagna, Mertesacker, Gibbs, Arteta, Ramsey, Oxlade-Chamberlain, Cazorla, Walcott, Sanogo #AFCvGAL

SANOGO.

Time to see if he makes £50m-£100m headlines on the pitch.

#Arsenal subs: Martinez, Miquel, Koscielny, Zelalem, Podolski, Giroud, Akpom #AFCvGAL

First look at Sanogo... Should be interesting.

fuenf

So, Braunschweig is already out of the DFB cup after losing to a second division team.

I think it's kinda cool that they are back in the Bundesliga but it's not going to be nice for them. Free points for everyone!

they might have a shot against Bremen, lol

Salvadora

Damien Comolli - who signed Suarez for the club - told BBC Radio 5 live: "It looks like a very messy situation.

"When I was there, we knew it would be hard to keep players like Reina, Agger, Luis if we couldn't get into the Champions League. Luis is extremely ambitious and with all due respect to Liverpool, they're a top eight side, not top four like Arsenal."
Comolli laying into his former employers.

He's right

Edit: Hahahhaa Bumble during tea in the cricket "I love football, I love the formations, I like 4-4-3, now you might think that's 12 but not if one of those midfielders just drops back a bit. 4-4-3, it's the future. It's like Naan bread"

Ahahahahahahahahaha

justjohn

Not sure why anyone takes suarez's words as gospel. This is the same guy who initially wanted to leave England because of press intrusion now all of a sudden its because of ambition.

Yeah thats right, arsenal is definitely the club to go to for ambitious players looking to win champions league and league titles.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL

Barcelona President Sandro Rosell has sent a letter to Manchester United asking them to abandon their pursuit of Cesc Fabregas.

Marca have claimed that the Blaugrana chief has penned a note to the Premier League champions confirming that the midfielder will not be leaving Camp Nou.

David Moyes’ side have already made two offers for the 26-year-old, and there are rumours that the Old Trafford club could make a third bid of €40m.

However, the Catalan side are not worried about the future of the Spain international, who they believe will stay.

Arnie

Comolli is right, technically, but I think the mass confusion as to why Suarez would make the move to Arsenal comes from him being a player that should be aiming higher than fourth place.

Everyone understands that he's above Liverpool's level, and thus is no doubt wanting to move, but he's well above Arsenal's level, too. Yet if he chooses to go there he almost certainly prevents himself from making that final huge move of his career. Arsenal aren't going to sell him on for at least two years, by the time that comes around he'll be closing in on 29.

If a top tier club don't want him this summer he should wait for the next, and move on to win trophies. Moving to have eight games in the Champions League, not winning it, and subsequently sacrificing his hope for trophies in the coming few years seems nonsensical.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom