• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2013/14 | OT3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Salvadora

What silence?

When he was in Uruguay he couldn't stop saying shit.

Now he's back Liverpool have finally managed to get the muzzle back on him.
The silence since returning to Liverpool, obviously.

Arsenal have made some very high profile bids and we've heard nothing. I would expect a character like Suarez to comment on a disputed release clause or comment at all. He's never been the type to be 'muzzled'.

LTWheels

This is probably the only good thing, in that we can (and seem to be in the process of doing so) strengthen our squad and first team, regardless of whether Suarez is staying or going.

For some reason, Wenger is fixated on this deal. The sensible thing would have been to walk away and focus on other areas, then see what the situation is in mid August.

Yeah, if Arsenal fixation too much on this transfer and don't get Suarez.; they could miss out on other transfer targets. Soldado and Higuain are already gone. Costa, could be going. There is not much striking talent around that is able to move this window.

Plasma

Banned
Guardian's back page tomorrow.

BQ2fEChCUAAsUWC.png

This is going to get very bitter soon.

Haha, Liverpool's owner came out and asked what are they smoking at the Emirates and he thinks we have no class? Ok.

GQman2121

Banned
You are voicing all my fears. Even in the old Tomb Raider games, I didn't care for her having human enemies. I wanted to be in an ancient tomb, isolated and in fear of animals and traps. Single opponents were ok, if they had a reason to be there, i.e. my rival tomb raiders. This also bothers me in Uncharted (although to a lesser extent). I open the secret entrance to this long-forgotten ancient city and armed thugs are waiting for me in there. Did they use the service entrance?!

Anyway, seeing all the trailers and reviews, it seems this game has very little to do with the Tomb Raider I like. I am trying my best to make myself aware of that so I will hopefully simply enjoy it as an Uncharted clone and not see it as a Tomb Raider at all.

It seems, even that might be a stretch.

It's not even an Uncharted clone. It tries, but it's just not. The writing is so poor that it detracts from the few decent ideas it offers. I hope you didn't pay too much for it.

Arsenal doesn't need a Suarez type of player, anyway.

They need an entirely new defense and a new manager.

Disagree.

They definitely need a top level striker/forward, which Suarez obviously is.

And I think Suarez in particular would suit them very very well. Would be a really lethal point in their attack, which is very good at building up play, Suarez's directness and unpredictability would be ideal for them. Considering they play a fairly versatile and free front 3 he would be perfect.

Facism

I didn't mean it with any disrespect to Gal or Turkish league. I think they still have the ability to perform with a really top side in Europe and do well too.

yes apologies on my behalf for taking it so. You're right, they do have the ability to perform anywhere and at the highest levels in Europe. Wes still has years left, man even drogba looked like he still does. I could see USA being a destination for drogba eventually, if only to be able to push his charitiable endevours into a bigger marketplace and gain more support for all the good work he does
outside of diving

again, apologies, no excuse for my snarky tone.

Fry

Disagree.

And I think Suarez in particular would suit them very very well. Would be a really lethal point in their attack, which is very good at building up play, Suarez's directness and unpredictability would be ideal for them. Considering they play a fairly versatile and free front 3 he would be perfect.

But do you think they should be going all out for him instead of addressing their other problems?

FootballFan

:loooooooooooooooool 3-0 fucking Inter.

Jonas scores then gets fouled by one of the Inter cunts. Still on the ground holding his neck.

Gambit

It's not even an Uncharted clone. It tries, but it's just not. The writing is so poor that it detracts from the few decent ideas it offers. I hope you didn't pay too much for it.

15€, so that'll be fine. Because of my concerns, I waited for a good offer.

We will see. At least I won't start it with too lofty epectations

But do you think they should be going all out for him instead of addressing their other problems?

Oh, yeah for sure they're playing a really risky game pinning their hopes on him.

I don't think there is any chance of them getting him anyway. The price it would take is way beyond what they would (and should) pay. Liverpool won't sell unless the price is ridiculous, which from their point of view is the absolute right thing to do.

But I can see why Arsenal are trying so hard, he would be amazing for them. And to me it seems like Arsenal/Wenger will only try to sign players at the top of their list. As in, Suarez or bust. They probably won't bother going for somebody else or making smaller improvements in other areas - which I agree with you, they should be doing.

Suen

Wasting their time with a league win, champs league quarterfinal and AMPLE playing time and good money/good food and a fanbase that loves them.

But i see where you're coming from, god knows i only hope to know as much about the league they play in as you do.

The man's killer reaction and instinct hasn't left him, what a way to sell the defence a lemon with a inside cut from the pass.

Because I like their team, i like what their board of directors are trying to do for domestic football and it's visibility across the world, in regards to both popularity and attracting class, non-Turkish players. It's a shame the TFF want to destroy that with yet more foreign player restrictions in the 2014/2015 league. Eventually they'll close the tax loophole too making it even less attractive. They're trying to be a positive driving force for Turkish football in every arena and it's something that everyone who watches Turkish football should be supporting.
Didn't know they had such a huge impact on Turkish football. I mean I realize they are one of the bigger (if not the biggest) team in Turkey and overall a pretty strong side in European competitions but that's about it.

I always thought Turkish football is on a rise, that the teams are starting to become more visible and starting to attract more players from abroad compared to...say ten years ago. Anyway from what I've heard the Süper Lig is supposed to be fairly competitive so to consider it somehow weak would be wrong. I think the result of how far the teams make it in EL/CL speak for itself. I've never watched Süper Lig but from this season I'll keep an eye on Çaykur Rizespor and see how well they do. They have a player who's development I'm following so it will be fun to see :)

Clegg

Arsenal need better forwards. Giroud, Walcott and Podolski aren't going to win you Championships. Suarez is exactly what they need.

The best best wat to describe Arsenal would be that they're solid. No glaring faults but no real standout areas of strength either.

Suen

Ooo post.

Inter lucky.

I think Bernat will have a really good season for Valencia.

wtf Feghouli, score there.
Feel so as well. Think Banega could also do pretty well this season. Valencia's situation, like many other La Liga teams is sad but I hope it can come back strong.

Clegg

Oh, yeah for sure they're playing a really risky game pinning their hopes on him.

But I can see why Arsenal are trying so hard, he would be amazing for them. And to me it seems like Arsenal/Wenger will only try to sign players at the top of their list. As in, Suarez or bust. They probably won't bother going for somebody else or making smaller improvements in other areas - which I agree with you, they should be doing.
Eerily similar to out situation.

Although I don't think we're going to be in a position where its Cesc or bust. At least I hope we won't.

Eerily similar to out situation.

Although I don't think we're going to be in a position where its Cesc or bust. At least I hope we won't.

It is similar.

But I would argue that we genuinely are in a position where we should be seeking to add only high quality players to our team (apart from in CM), whereas Arsenal could improve almost every part of their team a fair bit still without necessarily going for the best players.

Suen

Arsenal need better forwards. Giroud, Walcott and Podolski aren't going to win you Championships. Suarez is exactly what they need.

The best best wat to describe Arsenal would be that they're solid. No glaring faults but no real standout areas of strength either.
Giroud could become better but he's still slow.

Walcott has such a good pace, he's really fast but can't pass or go through defense for shit. He's good when we're building up play and he's on the receiving end, when it's the opposite he kills it.

Podolski is just Podolski, would take the former two over him.

I agree with you, we need someone of Suarez class. None of those three are CL or League-winning players, at least not at this very moment.

Inter are super shit.
Not even Walter can save them.

Feorax

Yet another article in the Mirror. John Cross is absolutely obsessed with Suarez.

Unfortunately, he seems to be the only journalist who is still absolutely confident Suarez will force a move, and that he'll sign for Arsenal.

Salvadora

Yet another article in the Mirror. John Cross is absolutely obsessed with Suarez.

Unfortunately, he seems to be the only journalist who is still absolutely confident Suarez will force a move, and that he'll sign for Arsenal.
Wasn't there a BBC article from only a few days ago saying that he is considering legal action? It made it clear he wants out.

Disagree.

You probably haven't seen us play much for the last 24 months; we have as much imagination in our final third as Ned Flanders at a rave

Feorax

Wasn't there a BBC article from only a few days ago saying that he is considering legal action? It made it clear he wants out.

BBC are all over the place. They've reported that Suarez accepts the terms of his contract and wont force a move, then that he will force a move and hand in a transfer request, then again that he won't.

I agree that he wants out though. It's just whether he wants it enough to burn bridges and forego his loyalty bonus.

Facism

Didn't know they had such a huge impact on Turkish football. I mean I realize they are one of the bigger (if not the biggest) team in Turkey and overall a pretty strong side in European competitions but that's about it.

I always thought Turkish football is on a rise, that the teams are starting to become more visible and starting to attract more players from abroad compared to...say ten years ago. Anyway from what I've heard the Süper Lig is supposed to be fairly competitive so to consider it somehow weak would be wrong. I think the result of how far the teams make it in EL/CL speak for itself. I've never watched Süper Lig but from this season I'll keep an eye on Çaykur Rizespor and see how well they do. They have a player who's development I'm following so it will be fun to see :)

They've recently adjusted the TV revenue streams so each club gets a fairer share of the spoils, as to bring some sort of fair financial standing between clubs in the top division.

However, the league suffers with a governing body full of political stooges and people who shouldn't be anywhere near football. The aformentioned plans for reducing foreign players limits, for instance. As it stands now, every team is allowed a maximum of 10 foreign, non-turkish descent players to be registered per team. That breaks down to 6 at the most on the pitch, 2 on the bench and the remaining 2 sitting out watching from the stands somewhere.

The TFF have reduced that to 6 foreign players MAXIMUM on matchday for the 2013/2014 league. They want to reduce it further in the 2014/2015 league to 8 total foreign players in the squad and a maximum 5 on the field come matchday. They worry that foreign players negatively impact the development of domestic players. It's total bullshit and will likely harm domestic development.

The teams have issues that they need to overcome in regards to longterm objectives and planning. Managers and players are too easily sacked and marginalised because of some fat impatient board member didn't like a particular result. Besiktas suffered hardcore with this over the last few seasons. Quaresma was mistreated harshly and they essentially cut of their own nose to spite their face.

He's a biased, deluded moron.

dc89

both

http://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n119/yoshi2542/ibtlg35J1a09bW.gif[/IMG

[IMG]http://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n119/yoshi2542/i3AtpYvwBLA56.gif[/IMG[/QUOTE]

I think I'm actually in a position to sympathise with you as a Spurs fan. I know what it's like to have your best players took away.

I remember when Shaun Wright-Phillips left for Chelsea. :(

Clegg

It is similar.

But I would argue that we genuinely are in a position where we should be seeking to add only high quality players to our team (apart from in CM), whereas Arsenal could improve almost every part of their team a fair bit still without necessarily going for the best players.
You could argue that we are in need of a high quality winger. But otherwise, yeah, we're pretty everywhere apart from midfield.

Just bring in Fellaini and we've already improved it quite a bit.

pulga

Banned
I love it when the spanish newspapers use this image to highlight Messi and his entourage's evildoings.

1375603633_684803_1375603946_noticia_grande.jpg

Apparently, Messi and co aren't happy Neymar is on higher wages than him and are looking to renegotiate his contract, 6 months after his last upgrade lololol

His father looks like Emperor Palpatine

Suen

Yeah as long as he doesn't run over his own leg with his car.. :lol

Tino Costa was good, too bad he decided to become Sviat's nightmare and join Spartak.
:lol :lol :lol

I wonder if Jonas will get more opportunities now that Soldado has left. Too bad we have no Valencia supporters here :(

You probably haven't seen us play much for the last 24 months; we have as much imagination in our final third as Ned Flanders at a rave

Doesn't mean Arsenal don't build up phases of play well, they do. They often control possession and get into threatening areas. Suarez is the extra creativity which the team lacks.

You could argue that we are in need of a high quality winger. But otherwise, yeah, we're pretty everywhere apart from midfield.

Just bring in Fellaini and we've already improved it quite a bit.
That's what I mean, at CB, LB and on the wings you could justify a world class signing...but not somebody like, say Garay.

In CM Fellaini isn't world class but he would improve us alot.

Salvadora

I wonder whether he's doing Arsenal more harm than good at this point though. The barrage of articles in the national rags comes off as a bit desperate.
It's that which makes me question whether or not he's actually in our pocket or a massive fan.

I'd like to think we would be a little more subtle. It's literally daily articles at this point.

FootballFan

I love it when the spanish newspapers use this image to highlight Messi and his entourage's evildoings.

1375603633_684803_1375603946_noticia_grande.jpg

Apparently, Messi and co aren't happy Neymar is on higher wages than him and are looking to renegotiate his contract, 6 months after his last upgrade lololol

His father looks like Emperor Palpatine

pls stop believing everything you read. There are 5 players in our squad with higher wages than Neymar last I heard, unless Neymar signed a new contract in the last week.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom