• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2013/14 | OT3

Status
Not open for further replies.

FuturusX

Then keep him. You won't make top 4 either way and you can enjoy the same crap again next summer only worse.

Liverpool outside of the top 4 is a very likely scenario but if Arsenal don't sign a few top players they'll be looking on from the outside too. Then you'll be wondering why you quibbled over a measly 15 million pounds.

Good luck - though I can see it already. Arsenal in a battle with Spurs for fourth relying on a Spurs choke to scrap home. If Arsenal had a little more ambition to go with the pretty football, their fortunes would be brighter.

Lightning

Banned
Liverpool outside of the top 4 is a very likely scenario but if Arsenal don't sign a few top players they'll be looking on from the outside too. Then you'll be wondering why you quibbled over a measly 15 million pounds.

Good luck - though I can see it already. Arsenal in a battle with Spurs for fourth relying on a Spurs choke to scrap home. If Arsenal had a little more ambition to go with the pretty football, their fortunes would be brighter.
According to the BBC and people with inside Arsenal knowledge we have a few deals going so we'll see what happens. They all still say Suarez is no1 target so we'll see what happens.

Arnie

According to the BBC and people with inside Arsenal knowledge we have a few deals going so we'll see what happens. They all still say Suarez is no1 target so we'll see what happens.

When you say 'we'll see what happens' in such quick succession it implies you don't have a clue what's happening.

I think what annoys me the most about Marca is the blatantly politically driven rumours they spread about RM, they might come through as incompetently made rumours but they know exactly what they're doing.

GHG

What have our footballing ambitions got anything to do with the fact that liverpool wont make it anywhere near the top 4 thus year? Don't kid yourself into thinking that a close to retirement steven gerrard backed up by stewart downing and iago fucking aspas will get liverpool anywhere near the top 4 this year. I think our squad is full if average, but theirs is just dire. The worst thing about it is most of liverpools players were bloody expensive.

Suarez made it clear that he would like to come so we bid the amount that was understood to be enough (according to his advisors) to activate a clause agreed in his contract. Now there are several theories as to why this is being disputed, one of which is that we are not in the CL proper yet so it doesn't count... Whatever it is, if it was agreed then liverpool are the ones being classless for still blocking it and publically denying it exists. Also, lets not forget, we never made the bids public, liverpool did. Now we also have every ex liverpool player/manager bad mouthing us saying how we are not worthy of suarez... And they have the cheek to talk about class?

I'm sorry, but yes liverpool have a great history, but right now in footballing terms they are irrelivant, dead. Don't even play europa league on a thursday. Why in the world would suarez want to stay there when he has the opportunity to come to us knowing that if he and a couple of other quality players come we can have a good stab of battling for the title?

If we dont need to bid an extra 15 million and we can still get our man then why should we? Even if we did there is still no promise that liverpool would accept considering the delusional statements about suarez being worth the same sort of money as bale. Fucking delusional.

What have our footballing ambitions got anything to do with the fact that liverpool wont make it anywhere near the top 4 thus year? Don't kid yourself into thinking that a close to retirement steven gerrard backed up by stewart downing and iago fucking aspas will get liverpool anywhere near the top 4 this year. I think our squad is full if average, but theirs is just dire. The worst thing about it is most of liverpools players were bloody expensive.

Suarez made it clear that he would like to come so we bid the amount that was understood to be enough (according to his advisors) to activate a clause agreed in his contract. Now there are several theories as to why this is being disputed, one of which is that we are not in the CL proper yet so it doesn't count... Whatever it is, if it was agreed then liverpool are the ones being classless for still blocking it and publically denying it exists. Also, lets not forget, we never made the bids public, liverpool did. Now we also have every ex liverpool player/manager bad mouthing us saying how we are not worthy of suarez... And they have the cheek to talk about class?

I'm sorry, but yes liverpool have a great history, but right now in footballing terms they are irrelivant, dead. Don't even play europa league on a thursday. Why in the world would suarez want to stay there when he has the opportunity to come to us knowing that if he and a couple of other quality players come we can have a good stab of battling for the title?

If we dont need to bid an extra 15 million and we can still get our man then why should we? Even if we did there is still no promise that liverpool would accept considering the delusional statements about suarez being worth the same sort of money as bale. Fucking delusional.

You'd think you guys were Chelsea judging from this. You're nowhere near the title

You could have picked better examples as well for the player comparison. Gerrard was the second best CM in the league last year imo, Aspas is an unknown quantity, and Downing was fine last season

GHG

You'd think you guys were Chelsea judging from this. You're nowhere near the title

You edited before i could quote so i'll respond to your original reply...

What was liverpools points total between january and the end of season vs ours? Who have they signed this summer that has brought then closer to us? I don't understand where this logic comes from.

Even if we are nowhere near the title, what does suarez have to gain by staying it liverpool another year? If nothing else, even if he uses us as a platform to clean up his act and perform in the CL he will still have gained a lot.

Ask suarez if downing was fine last season. Fantastic service. Depends on whose opinion you take but i didn't think gerrard had anywhere near the level of impact he used to have in the league last year. Things wont get better for him this year either unless he suddenly turns into scholes or xavi overnight.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
So it looks like unless Madrid agree to include Morata in the Bale deal, we are not going to talk to them anymore. I suppose for him + £85m I would grudgingly accept, although we've left it far too close to the start of the season.

Once again our pre-season has been shit and undermines by a classless club trying to interfere.

jtb

Banned
Liverpool aren't making top 4 anytime soon. Suarez wants to leave, but I don't think Arsenal is a big enough step up for him to force a move through. So if we're serious about him, then we should pay up ASAP. 55m. Whatever, I'm sick of this saga. Get it done Arsene.

We gain nothing by waiting.

dc89

BQ2idJzCEAICftV.jpg:large
<3

GHG

Liverpool aren't making top 4 anytime soon. Suarez wants to leave, but I don't think Arsenal is a big enough step up for him to force a move through. So if we're serious about him, then we should pay up ASAP. 55m. Whatever, I'm sick of this saga. Get it done Arsene.

We gain nothing by rushing either. The fucker is banned for the 1st 6 games.

You edited before i could quote so i'll respond to your original reply...

What was liverpools points total between january and the end of season vs ours? Who have they signed this summer that has brought then closer to us? I don't understand where this logic comes from.

Even if we are nowhere near the title, what does suarez have to gain by staying it liverpool another year? If nothing else, even if he uses us as a platform to clean up his act and perform in the CL he will still have gained a lot.

What do Liverpool have to gain by selling him to you? It would be a decent, if underwhelming, move for him to join you, as either a stepping stone or to ride it out and see where you can go. What he wants is irrelevant though considering the lack of a release clause, the 3 year contract, and his worth/value to the team.

Regarding the squad, we've signed Aspas, Mignolet and Alberto. They've bought us closer to you. Not because they've filled big gaps in the squad. Not because they're world class. No. Because they'll do more for our squad than the comparitive transfer, Sanogo.

And our form was pretty good between January and May. Not as good as your's, but not exactly something to worry about going into this season.

Points between you and the title last season: 16
Points between us and you last season: 12

So which was closer, you to the title, or us to you?

jtb

Banned
We gain nothing by rushing either. The fucker is banned for the 1st 6 games.

Liverpool will want to spend the money on replacements. I'm sure they don't want to be stuck with buying Andy Carroll because they need a striker and no one else is available. Why risk giving Liverpool a reason not to sell?

Also CL qualifiers.

Lightning

Banned

Don't you think it strange what we haven't renewed Wenger's contract yet? I wonder what's going on at Arsenal honestly and I think Suarez snubbing Gerrard's celebration is very telling. That is a slap in the face.

Is it not surprising that Rodgers takes a huge swipe at our club after Suarez takes a piss on Gerrard and Liverpool?

Hitcher, Real Madrid don't give a fuck about Suarez though. What do you expect the guy to do? Wait around in a club with no European football at all growing older while waiting in hope for Real to come in? Madrid won't pay your bs fee anymore than we will. They refused it for Cavani and Suarez is in a worse situation.

And we've let go of over 20 players this summer, cleared out virtually all our deadwood, your in fantasy land if you think players aren't coming in.

Don't you think it strange what we haven't renewed Wenger's contract yet? I wonder what's going on at Arsenal honestly and I think Suarez snubbing Gerrard's celebration is very telling. That is a slap in the face.

Is it not surprising that Rodgers takes a huge swipe at our club after Suarez takes a piss on Gerrard and Liverpool?

What did Rodgers actually say? I've seen the headlines but not the quotes

MPW

So it looks like unless Madrid agree to include Morata in the Bale deal, we are not going to talk to them anymore. I suppose for him + £85m I would grudgingly accept, although we've left it far too close to the start of the season.

Once again our pre-season has been shit and undermines by a classless club trying to interfere.

85m AND morata? fuck that shit

GHG

What do Liverpool have to gain by selling him to you? It would be a decent, if underwhelming, move for him to join you, as either a stepping stone or to ride it out and see where you can go. What he wants is irrelevant though considering the lack of a release clause, the 3 year contract, and his worth/value to the team.

Regarding the squad, we've signed Aspas, Mignolet and Alberto. They've bought us closer to you. Not because they've filled big gaps in the squad. Not because they're world class. No. Because they'll do more for our squad than the comparitive transfer, Sanogo.

And our form was pretty good between January and May. Not as good as your's, but not exactly something to worry about going into this season.

Points between you and the title last season: 16
Points between us and you last season: 12

So which was closer, you to the title, or us to you?

So you think you can make up 12 points on us this year? From where exactly? Reina has left so signing a midtable GK hasn't filled any gap apart from make you look more of a midtable team. Wake me up when aspas and alberto actually do something of note. They are bang average players that you've paid too much for. Same as borini last year. You can quote me on this, the gap between us and man united will be a lot smaller this year than it was last.

People underestimate squad stability, we have had nobody of note leave us this year. If we make a couple of solid additions before the window closes (which i fully believe we will) then you will be eating our dust all season and the gap will be larger than 12. If one of those players is suarez then you need to worry more about keeping up with everton, nevermind worry about us and a top 4 place.

Its not about whether you have anything to gain by selling suarez. I can tell you from experience over the last 3-4 years thats not a factor. Do you think we wanted to sell RVP to man united? The issue is, in footballing terms they were a much better propositon for him. The biggest issue you have is that suarez has nothing to gain by staying with you. You have nothing of worth to offer him or any other top player over the next 10 months of the season.

jtb

Banned

Rodgers was being a little petty but it's understandable. Everyone knows Suarez wants to leave, the problem is just that Arsenal are probably the smallest club that he would be interested in. The stuff I've read was pretty tame (though played up from the headlines) so I don't know much more beyond that&#8212;shades of throwing stones in glass houses, but Suarez is under contract so Rodgers can say whatever the hell he wants.

All this whining about the extra pound is comical though, how on earth is that disrespectful? The real question comes when (if?) Madrid finalize the Bale transfer because then we'll basically be the only potential suitor for Suarez&#8212;then it's do or die for all parties involved. Either Suarez gambles on Liverpool finishing 4th (not happening)/some European super club swooping for him next summer (possible, depends on if he feels like picking up another 10 game ban I suppose), or he takes the lower-risk lower-reward option and joins Arsenal.

Wenger not renewing is a bit of a worry&#8212;but I'd rather they focus on bringing in transfer targets than giving Wenger more money. I think he knows he's probably the only manager where it'll actually look worse for the team if he signs a new contract now because he's probably been cut too much slack over the years. He's the very definition of double-edged sword. Almost to the point where I'd venture that Wenger leaving is probably just what this club needs.

I don't doubt the board wants to keep Wenger so I'm sure they'll try to renew his contract but if Wenger feels his time is up then I'm not going to be particularly surprised or even worried either.

Who do you think will be our favoured pivot pairing? Both Van Ginkel and Essien looked good today.

Sorry I fell asleep straight after the match. Its hard to tell, I think Ramires will get the most games but I wouldn't be able to choose between Lampard, Essien and Mikel right now.
I have been really impressed by Van Ginkel, he seems stronger then he looks and he is also a smart player, gets in the right positions, knows where his team mates will be and does the simple things well. He will probably take a while to adapt to the premier league and be mainly used as a backup next season but I think he will be a very good player.

Lightning

Banned
Rodgers was being a little petty but it's understandable. Everyone knows Suarez wants to leave, the problem is just that Arsenal are probably the smallest club that he would be interested in. The stuff I've read was pretty tame (though played up from the headlines) so I don't know much more beyond that—shades of throwing stones in glass houses, but Suarez is under contract so Rodgers can say whatever the hell he wants.

All this whining about the extra pound is comical though, how on earth is that disrespectful? The real question comes when (if?) Madrid finalize the Bale transfer because then we'll basically be the only potential suitor for Suarez—then it's do or die for all parties involved. Either Suarez gambles on Liverpool finishing 4th (not happening)/some European super club swooping for him next summer (possible, depends on if he feels like picking up another 10 game ban I suppose), or he takes the lower-risk lower-reward option and joins Arsenal.

Wenger not renewing is a bit of a worry—but I'd rather they focus on bringing in transfer targets than giving Wenger more money. I think he knows he's probably the only manager where it'll actually look worse for the team if he signs a new contract now because he's probably been cut too much slack over the years. He's the very definition of double-edged sword. Almost to the point where I'd venture that Wenger leaving is probably just what this club needs.

I don't doubt the board wants to keep Wenger so I'm sure they'll try to renew his contract but if Wenger feels his time is up then I'm not going to be particularly surprised or even worried either.
The Rodgers quotes aren't bad but they were a swipe. He was basically calling us classlless because of the 1 pound but we made the errior of thinking we were activating a clause. That was a mistake.

The Wenger situation will get messy if we don't sign any top players and then proceed to start poorly next season again. Then I fear the patience at the Emirates will boil over and the boo's will ring very loud. It's so frustrating.

FuturusX

The price is the price. We don't really need to sell. We'll still get good money next season without selling to a rival. Our top 4 credentials has nothing to do with it. The price starts at 50. What's so hard to understand about that?

jtb

Banned
I don't understand why we aren't bidding for Rooney. Force his hand; he might prefer Chelsea, but surely Arsenal is not too far of a step down from that? And force Suarez's hand too. Let's just put some pressure on all the parties here instead of sitting around with our thumbs up our asses waiting for something to happen.

If we're willing to spend 40m on Suarez, why not 30m on Rooney? 30m on damaged goods Rooney is certainly a better buy than 30m on Higuain imo. Would he come? I have no idea. But I hope so lol

Walshy

Gerrard isn't that player he once once, but he has adapted brilliantly to his new deeper role besides a nearing full fitness Lucas. They both have been outstanding in pre-season. They aren't backed up by Downing, he is backed up by Allen and Henderson, who despite being overpriced, showed alot of promise throughout last season, Allen in the first half and Henderson in the second half. I'd argue Henderson or Allen is just as good as say, Aaron Ramsey. Diaby and Wilshere, despite being fantastic players, haven't shown they can play a full season yet.

Also I doubt you have even watched much of Aspas (who is clearly going to be a squad player).

Suarez hasn't said anything about wanting to join Arsenal in public. If he wants to move to Arsenal so much, he should put in a transfer request. Clause? There is no clause. It has been confirmed as the case by nearly every journalist with connections within Liverpool. We are been classless by being firm and strong with a player, who dragged our repuation in the dirt whilst here, is spouting a clause around to club that technically doesn't exsist, makes false reasons for leaving the club and then tries to angle a move to a team currently in the spot where we want to be? Classless?!

You lot bid £40m + 1p. If that isn't classless, then I don't know what is.

We have better recent history than you lot too, you plank. Since you last won a trophy, we have won five trophies. You haven't won a trophy in a decade. You routinely sell your best players each season. You have no chance of making the title, you are only a baby step up from us at this moment, despite us have our worst three seasons in about thirty years.

Suarez vs Bale stats. We have every right to argue to demand more money when he is:
a) being sold to a rival + someone in the country
b) when he is a vocal point of our team and best player
c) when he has three years left on his contract

We have signed a really good keeper in Mignolet. We have strengthened the squad by signing decent players which give us better depth. Allen, Henderson, Sturridge, Coutinho and Sterling are all under 25, they are now a year older and more experienced. They will only get better. We also look like we are going to sign Papadopoulos, Costa and one of Siqueira/Cissokho, which will again strengthen the squad.

What does he have to gain by going to Arsenal? He wants a move to Real Madrid or Barcelona, you won't sell him next year after one season.

Ask suarez if downing was fine last season. Fantastic service. Depends on whose opinion you take but i didn't think gerrard had anywhere near the level of impact he used to have in the league last year. Things wont get better for him this year either unless he suddenly turns into scholes or xavi overnight.
Gerrard was great last season in a subdued role. Downing was alright last season, certainly better than the turd you had on your wing by the name of Gervinho.

Baki

I don't understand why we aren't bidding for Rooney. Force his hand; he might prefer Chelsea, but surely Arsenal is not too far of a step down from that? And force Suarez's hand too. Let's just put some pressure on all the parties here instead of sitting around with our thumbs up our asses waiting for something to happen.

If we're willing to spend 40m on Suarez, why not 30m on Rooney? 30m on damaged goods Rooney is certainly a better buy than 30m on Higuain imo. Would he come? I have no idea. But I hope so lol

Rooney is on a £250K a week salary. That's the problem.

Suarez is on a £150K a week salary.

Lightning

Banned

Is Rooney damaged goods? Where does that shit come from?

Last season was not his best season but before that he was toe to toe with RVP for the golden boot and last season had to play second fiddle and in a position he doesn't really like. Under Mourinho or Wenger and Rooney will net you at least 25 goals a season probably more. Damaged goods my ass.

So you think you can make up 12 points on us this year?

Doubt it, stranger things have happened though

From where exactly?

Better goalkeeper, genuine goalscoring option in Sturridge, Coutinho could pick up where he left off. Most importantly, Rodgers is bedded in and has the team drilled to his ideals far more than they were in the first 3 months or so of his tenure. Doubt that'd be enough to make up 12 points, so we'd still be relying on yourselves and Spurs to have unexpectadly poor seasons

Reina has left so signing a midtable GK hasn't filled any gap apart from make you look more of a midtable team.

Ridiculous logic

Wake me up when aspas and alberto actually do something of note. They are bang average players that you've paid too much for. Same as borini last year.

Maybe, maybe not. Either way, they've added to the squad, which is more than you;ve done so far this summer. Ergo, we've improved from a personnel persepective more than you have

You can quote me on this, the gap between us and man united will be a lot smaller this year than it was last.

Obviously, they've gone from Alex Ferguson to David Moyes. The same will be true of everyone in all likelihood.

People underestimate squad stability, we have had nobody of note leave us this year.

Neither have we, except for Reina who we've improved on

If we make a couple of solid additions before the window closes (which i fully believe we will) then you will be eating our dust all season and the gap will be larger than 12.

We'll see

If one of those players is suarez then you need to worry more about keeping up with everton, nevermind worry about us and a top 4 place.

If we sell Suarez to you, coming 4th goes from pipe dream to one-in-a-million. Nobody has ever denied that.

Its not about whether you have anything to gain by selling suarez. I can tell you from experience over the last 3-4 years thats not a factor.

It is when they have 3 years on their contract and have promised not to act up

Do you think we wanted to sell RVP to man united? The issue is, in footballing terms they were a much better propositon for him.

You let hoim get to the last year of his contract. You had 2 options, both of which left you blushing. Sell him to Man Utd, or keep him and let him go there for free the next year

The biggest issue you have is that suarez has nothing to gain by staying with you. You have nothing of worth to offer him or any other top player over the next 10 months of the season.

Unfortunately for him, he's already signed that all-important, release-clauseless contract. What he wants is not an issue until next summer, barring the possibility of him spending the entire season moping around causing problems

Off to bed. Walshy, fight the good fight :p

Arnie and Shogun, I want you flanking. Feorax, you're Engineer, you patch up the holes when Walshy suffers a hit :p

jtb

Banned
Is Rooney damaged goods? Where does that shit come from?

Last season was not his best season but before that he was toe to toe with RVP for the golden boot and last season had to play second fiddle and in a position he doesn't really like. Under Mourinho or Wenger and Rooney will net you at least 25 goals a season probably more. Damaged goods my ass.

I dunno, I think the worry is that he is still a good player, but will he get lazy with another fat 250k contract guaranteed? His attitude and fitness have been pretty poor the past season, it seems. Having said that, I completely agree; I think he'll deliver if he moves to a new team. Hell, I think he'll deliver for Moyes if he stays.

dc89

Pikmin 3 has fallen to 15th in the UK charts. It was 2nd last week. Next week it won't be in the top 20.

What have I done?!

Arsenal and Liverpool fans really don't get along. lol

Its a weird one, we have a few things in common at an overall club level, but we treat eachother like shit :p

Maybe its like those times when 2 people are too similar to eachother, and end up getting on eachother's nerves.

You guys are fine though. The whole Suarez thing seems like a giant misunderstanding tbh

Arsenal think there's a release clause of 'over £40m', bid to that amount
Liverpool mistake spurious £1 for classlessness
John Henry makes comment about chances of Arsenal buying Suarez at all, comment misconstrued as a reference to the £1

Salazar

lol at all the

"mark my words" and "you can quote me"

It's like those insect fights they televise in Japan. Chill the fuck out

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom