• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2013/14 |OT5| Levy to Woodward "You're nobody. Pass me the ball"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Flamini has turned out to be a pretty astute signing. Szczesny now has actual competition too. And Ozil coming of course...

I just wish we'd got some cover up front. Oh well.

faridmon

Its ridiculous that McCarthy cost as much as Fellaini when he arrived at Everton.
Damn you Whelan!

On another news:

efc__1378209629_barry2.jpg

efc__1378167148_mccarthy-evertontv.jpg

No pic of Lukaku as of this typing.

Welcome!

omgkitty

If Löw was awesome, he'd play Kruse as striker, Boateng + Hummels and the double Bender on Friday.

But he isn't, Khedira, Mertesacker + Hummels and Gomez, here we go.

But Götze is the bigger talent.

I wouldn't exactly say Gotze and Ozil are the same player. I see Gotze more as a Santi type player with Ozil being more like Fabregas. Of course I haven't watched a ton of Gotze, so I could be wrong. No reason why they couldn't play together, but of course Germany has about 38 midfielders who are all good enough to start.

fuenf

I wouldn't exactly say Gotze and Ozil are the same player. I see Gotze more as a Santi type player with Ozil being more like Fabregas. Of course I haven't watched a ton of Gotze, so I could be wrong. No reason why they couldn't play together, but of course Germany has about 38 midfielders who are all good enough to start.

WHAT are you sure you watched either one of them ever?

Marginal.

It's probably not worth it to just plug Gotze in there and hope for the bigger talent to pan out within the next 9 months when you've got one of the 3 best players in the world at that exact position ready and raring to go.

Götze shows up in important games, Özil doesnt.

faridmon

Treat him well. Do not bemoan his lack of pace, instead enjoy the football brain, the distribution and the assassin style tackles.

He's so underrated, a big part of our title winning side. I ain't joking.

Yeah. I am well aware of his strength and weakness. I see him playing as Gibson role, Provide protection for the attacking midfield while stay in front of the Defence for more defensive duties. He should be fantastic. Not to mention experienced player whom we need. I can see him staying At Everton for another 2 years.

Why is it hasty? Its not like these were the only targets United failed to sign this season...
All Im saying its not a good sign when nearly every talented midfielder choose to go somewhere else.

Because you're basing it on one transfer window.

Thiago went to the club that won the Champions League and is managed by his former coach. Fabregas stayed at Barcelona because it's Barcelona.

faridmon

WHAT are you sure you watched either one of them ever?

Yeah, if anything Ozil is Cazorla type where both remain silent and anonymous for the bigger matches.

Is it just me or do people actually forget how good and important Fabregas was and is?

Jack cw

Because you're basing it on one transfer window.

I dont wann bash anyone its only what I see. This is akey position and if they cant get a quality player for it it will become difficult to find one later on.
EDIT:
Yes, that is what I meant. Players go for other clubs that attract them...

elseanio

Tempted to use my wildcard :(

Do we get another one in January?

edit*

You can play 2 wildcards a season.One wildcard can be played at any time. The January Wildcard can only be used after Gameweek 20 starts (1 Jan 11:30) until Gameweek 23 ends (1 Feb 11:30).

Yessss, doing it

has Lightning and the rest of the gunners proclaimed Arsenal as the champs cause they bought a froggy eyes german who's inconsistent as fuck and can't maintain form over the full season?

Only in jest so far I think.

But now if Liverpool wins the next match we know what we will have on our hand.

confuziz

Banned
Are you saying this with your PS-glasses on or not?

Would be nice to see him get to the next level. See him contributing with the national squad?

without any glasses. Go watch his next game =). Strootman will be one of the big ones for the national squad in the next few years.

bjaelke

The Club are pleased to announce that popular striker Carlton Cole is also undergoing a medical today with a view to returning to the Boleyn Ground on a short-term deal.

"pleased"

"popular"

Wilbur

Banned
Best transfer windows:

- Everton
- Liverpool
- City
- Norwich
- Spurs (on paper)
- Juve
- Fiorentina
- Real
- Atletico
- Monaco
- Bayern

Jack cw

Yeah, if anything Ozil is Cazorla type where both remain silent and anonymous for the bigger matches.

Is it just me or do people actually forget how good and important Fabregas was and is?
Fabregas is fantastic. Anyone who understands football should know this...
And Özil needs a strong partner in midfield to shine. His defensive work is non existent, so there hast to be someone like Schweinsteiger or Alonso.

arkon

I dont wann bash anyone its only what I see. This is akey position and if they cant get a quality player for it it will become difficult to find one later on.
EDIT:
Yes, that is what I meant. Players go for other clubs that attract them...

The same thing happened under Fergie too. Although obviously there's even less attraction to United now that they have Moyes in his place.

confuziz

Banned
don't forget us. we got Siqueira, Markovic, Sulejmani and didn't lose any of the vitals (Cardozo, Garay, Matic).

Sulejmani

HAAAHAHHAHAHAHAHAAAHAHHAHAHAHAHAAAHAHHAHAHAHAHAAAHAHHAHAHAHAHAAAHAHHAHAHAHAHAAAHAHHAHAHAHAHAAAHAHHAHAHAHAHAAAHAHHAHAHAHAHAAAHAHHAHAHAHAHAAAHAHHAHAHAHAHAAAHAHHAHAHAHAHAAAHAHHAHAHAHAHAAAHAHHAHAHAHAHAAAHAHHAHAHAHAHAAAHAHHAHAHAHAHAAAHAHHAHAHAHAHAAAHAHHAHAHAHAHAAAHAHHAHAHAHAHAAAHAHHAHAHAHAHAAAHAHHAHAHAHAHAAAHAHHAHAHAHAHAAAHAHHAHAHAHAHAAAHAHHAHAHAHAHAAAHAHHAHAHAHAHAAAHAHHAHAHAHAHAAAHAHHAHAHAHAHAAAHAHHAHAHAHAHAAAHAHHAHAHAHAHAAAHAHHAHAHAHAHAAAHAHHAHAHAHAHAAAHAHHAHAHAHAHAAAHAHHAHAHAHAHAAAHAHHAHAHAHAHAAAHAHHAHAHAHAHAAAHAHHAHAHAHAHAAAHAHHAHAHAHAHAAAHAHHAHAHAHAHAAAHAHHAHAHAHAHAAAHAHHAHAHAHAHAAAHAHHAHAHAHAHAAAHAHHAHAHAHAHAAAHAHHAHAHAHAHAAAHAHHAHAHAHAHAAAHAHHAHAHAHAHAAAHAHHAHAHAHAHAAAHAHHAHAHAHAHAAAHAHHAHAHAHAHAAAHAHHAHAHAHAHAAAHAHHAHAHAHAHAAAHAHHAHAHAHAHAAAHAHHAHAHAHAHAAAHAHHAHAHAHAHAAAHAHHAHAHAHAHAAAHAHHAHAHAHAHAAAHAHHAHAHAHAHAAAHAHHAHAHAHAHAAAHAHHAHAHAHAHAAAHAHHAHAHAHAHAAAHAHHAHAHAHA

cremino

Ancelotti tried to field Ozil, Di Maria, Isco and Ronaldo together with only Modric or Khedira as CM (Ilarra and Xabi were injured) in preseason and against Betis and Granada in Liga with mixed results..Furthermore it seems Ancelotti preferred Isco over Ozil (like in the match against Bilbao when Ozil was benched and Isco was pretty good in that match).... When Ancelotti was at Milan he tried to use Pirlo, Rui Costa, Seedorf and Rivaldo together...It didn't work and Rivaldo was quickly axed

Italian NT list for WCQ matches against Bulgaria and Czech repubblic:

Keepers: Buffon (Juventus), Marchetti (Lazio), Sirigu (Paris Saint Germain).

Defenders: Abate (Milan), Antonelli (Genoa), Astori (Cagliari), Barzagli (Juventus), Bonucci (Juventus), Chiellini (Juventus), Maggio (Napoli), Ranocchia (Inter).

Midfielders: Aquilani (Fiorentina), Candreva (Lazio), Cerci (Torino), De Rossi (Roma), Diamanti (Bologna), Florenzi (Roma), Giaccherini (Sunderland), Montolivo (Milan), Thiago Motta (Paris Saint Germain), Pirlo (Juventus), Verratti (Paris Saint Germain).

Strikers: Balotelli (Milan), El Shaarawy (Milan), Gabbiadini (Sampdoria), Gilardino (Genoa), Insigne (Napoli), Osvaldo (Southampton).

Balotelli, Osvaldo and Montolivo are disqualified for the match against Bulgaria.

pappe

Fabregas is fantastic. Anyone who understands football should know this...
And Özil needs a strong partner in midfield to shine. His defensive work is non existent, so there hast to be someone like Schweinsteiger or Alonso.

He will be playing ahead of Wilshere Arteta or Ramsey. Yea Arsenals defenders are gonna have to be on their toes all the time.

The thing with DMs is that with the first team like Arsenals they are gonna be attacking most of the time against smaller teams therefore against them they can do without a DM but against stronger competition and in UCL they will be carved open easily.

cremino

http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/news/football-ancelottis-trust-real-ozil-says-121711300.html

Mesut Ozil quit Real Madrid to join Arsenal because he realised he no longer had the confidence of Real coach Carlo Ancelotti, the Germany playmaker said.
The Premier League club smashed their transfer record to sign Ozil for 42.5 million pounds on Monday, days after he said he would stay with the nine-times European champions for a fourth season.

Ozil sulked after Ancelotti substituted him in last month's La Liga match at Granada and the Italian then left him on the bench for Sunday's 3-1 victory at home to Athletic Bilbao.

"I was certain...that I would stay at Real Madrid," Ozil said in an interview published on the German federation's website on Tuesday.

"Then I realised that I didn't have the confidence of the coach and the officials after all," added the 24-year-old of Turkish origin.

"I am a player who needs that confidence and I saw that I would have that at Arsenal and that is why I am going there."

Ozil's departure, which followed Real's purchase of winger Gareth Bale from Tottenham Hotspur for a world-record fee of 100 million euros (£85.3m), prompted head-scratching in Spain as he was one of Real's most creative squad members.

He made 31 assists in his last two seasons, the most of any player in La Liga, and had developed a lethal partnership with Real's Portugal forward Cristiano Ronaldo.

Ozil said he was happy to be joining up with Germany team mates Lukas Podolski and Per Mertesacker at Arsenal and the fact that the London club's manager Arsene Wenger spoke German would help him to settle in.

PSV

HAAAHAHHAHAHAHAHAAAHAHHAHAHAHAHAAAHAHHAHAHAHAHAAAHAHHAHAHAHAHAAAHAHHAHAHAHAHAAAHAHHAHAHAHAHAAAHAHHAHAHAHAHAAAHAHHAHAHAHAHAAAHAHHAHAHAHAHAAAHAHHAHAHAHAHAAAHAHHAHAHAHAHAAAHAHHAHAHAHAHAAAHAHHAHAHAHAHAAAHAHHAHAHAHAHAAAHAHHAHAHAHAHAAAHAHHAHAHAHAHAAAHAHHAHAHAHAHAAAHAHHAHAHAHAHAAAHAHHAHAHAHAHAAAHAHHAHAHAHAHAAAHAHHAHAHAHAHAAAHAHHAHAHAHAHAAAHAHHAHAHAHAHAAAHAHHAHAHAHAHAAAHAHHAHAHAHAHAAAHAHHAHAHAHAHAAAHAHHAHAHAHAHAAAHAHHAHAHAHAHAAAHAHHAHAHAHAHAAAHAHHAHAHAHAHAAAHAHHAHAHAHAHAAAHAHHAHAHAHAHAAAHAHHAHAHAHAHAAAHAHHAHAHAHAHAAAHAHHAHAHAHAHAAAHAHHAHAHAHAHAAAHAHHAHAHAHAHAAAHAHHAHAHAHAHAAAHAHHAHAHAHAHAAAHAHHAHAHAHAHAAAHAHHAHAHAHAHAAAHAHHAHAHAHAHAAAHAHHAHAHAHAHAAAHAHHAHAHAHAHAAAHAHHAHAHAHAHAAAHAHHAHAHAHAHAAAHAHHAHAHAHAHAAAHAHHAHAHAHAHAAAHAHHAHAHAHAHAAAHAHHAHAHAHAHAAAHAHHAHAHAHAHAAAHAHHAHAHAHAHAAAHAHHAHAHAHAHAAAHAHHAHAHAHAHAAAHAHHAHAHAHAHAAAHAHHAHAHAHAHAAAHAHHAHAHAHAHAAAHAHHAHAHAHAHAAAHAHHAHAHAHA

fixed.

But you still have Jesus

Benfica: Z-

he'll be gone... eventually. i say we nail him to a lower case "T", that should do the trick.

fuenf

if Arsenal fans really expect Fabregas kind of plays from Özil they'll be in for a massive disappointment. I'm still not sure whether I like the transfer or not, to me Özil is more of luxury type of player. I believe the CR7 & Özil Combo was a match made in heaven and that they'll both miss each otther. I mean just watch one of Özil's highlight reels, yeah he provides a ton of incredible assists but some of Ronaldo's finishes are out of this world.

I expect the Arsenal Özil to be more akin to his national team self rather than the Real Madrid version. He'll most likely do as many things to piss you off as he does good. In Madrid the scale shifted towards the genius aspect of his game, because the squad was well suited to mask his inadequacies (work rate, lack lustre attitude, will to win) and to take advantage of his stengths.

If you could combine Khedira and Özil you'd have the perfect football player, but as seperate players they represent totally different ends of the skill / physicality / football intelligence spectrum. That's why it kinda made sense for Real to have both of them in the team.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom