• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2013/14 |OT5| Levy to Woodward "You're nobody. Pass me the ball"

Status
Not open for further replies.

faridmon

Wow, that's fantastic for us if they agreed to pay his whole wage. Honestly, that's a pretty fair price anyway at this point. I think he still has a few years left of top flight football and he'll undoubtedly be keen to re-sign for them in January once he is free to do so as well.

I think Rodwell will probably slot back in as a "DM" but make some box to box runs a la Ferna and Yaya. All 3 are similar types of players (in varying levels of ability of course hah).

Thats not fantastic, that is expensive :/

Jack cw

I just love all the "Oh well Ozil isn't that good, and he's kind of shit actually. He can't win you every single game and he can be lazy. You also don't have Ronaldo on your team, so who's he going to pass it to score for you?" I mean for fucks sake. Why don't we reserve judgments and watch him play for Arsenal first.
I just wrote the exact opposite?! As I said, Özil is Arsenals best transfer in years. But you have to understand that especially in Germany (some) people are criticizing their players more than anywhere else... but a prophet is not without honor save in his own country ;)

Its not like Özil hasnt improved at its time in Madrid...
He and Toni Kroos are the best german playmakers and he will be an assist machine with Arsenal. Giroud is an excellent finisher that will shine because of Özils work. There arent many offensive midfielders that could save a day... Honestly I havent seen one since Zidane....
At Madrid and in the national team, he could have his time off during a match or even a whole match off without problems. There were just so many other excellent players and opponents that don't have a chance.

The situation at Arsenal will be different, he'll have a much more demanding role. That could go either way. He could obviously shine in this role but also disappoint. Like I said the 09/10 season is something to go by if you ask me. 9 goals and 17 assists is something most Arsenal fans would be happy with.

Where does Aubameyang play for you guys? I know he can play on the wing and up front, but I'd assume Lewandowski would be up there.

On the wings so far.

we should not forget that for the first time he has a capable manager. if he doesn't develop into a world class player he never will

mourinho is the worst manager for a young player. has there ever been a football player who developed into a better player under him?
Mourinho and Schaaf no capable managers?

Go and get Klinsmann again lol. Can't believe that.

Into

Some really big clubs got taken to the bank, as the pressure to buy a player, any player became too big. Real, United and Arsenal overpaid for guys like Bale, Fellaini and Ozil.

City also overspent but they almost do not even count, they are Football Manager Trainer 1.1 press F3 with unlimited funds anyway.

Also Calcio quotes

“If Gareth Bale is worth €120m, then Paul Pogba is worth at least twice as much. Pogba is a Salvador Dali painting, while Mario Balotelli is the Mona Lisa.”

What painting is Bale then?

omgkitty

I just wrote the exact opposite?! As I said, Özil is Arsenals best transfer in years. But you have to understand that especially in Germany (some) people are criticizing their players more than anywhere else... but a prophet is not without honor save in his own country ;)

Wasn't attacking you. Just used your post as a stepping stone to voice my opinions towards all the negative comments so far.

Meier

For those curious, just looking through the FPL listing and here are a few new players' prices:

Özil -10m
Eto'o - 9m
McCarthy - 5.5m
Sakho - 5.5m

Thats not fantastic, that is expensive :/

Every team is getting 40m more than last year from the TV deals. You guys definitely have a net 0 spend. Don't worry! Everton should honestly have spent another 30m or so.

BTPmbfxIcAAJtTf.jpg

omgkitty

Bendtner has released a statement:

“It’s no secret that Arsenal and myself had agreed that I could leave the club during the 2013 summer transfer window subject to an agreement between all parties.
“An agreement had been reached with more than one club this week but as Arsenal were unable to secure the services of another striker, they reserved their right to not sanction any deal to be concluded…
“Naturally, I was very disappointed as I was looking forward to a new challenge, with a new club and a fresh start in English football.
“Many things have been said about my where my future lies after many years at Arsenal; the truth is I just want to play football which is when I’m happiest and Arsenal is a fantsstic environment for any professional to apply their trade.
“I still feel very strongly about Arsenal Football Club and following positive talks with the Manager, I am looking forward to working hard to regain full fitness and doing my very best to help to the team and the Manager fulfil our objectives and ambitions this season.
“I’ve learnt a lot from my loan experiences at Sunderland and Juventus and I want to assure all Arsenal fans that I will give everything I have to contribute to what I believe will be a successful season for the club.”

If he's focused and ready to work, I have no issue with him being our backup. Always thought he was a good player when he wasn't being a cunt.

Salvadora

I just love all the "Oh well Ozil isn't that good, and he's kind of shit actually. He can't win you every single game and he can be lazy. You also don't have Ronaldo on your team, so who's he going to pass it to score for you?" I mean for fucks sake. Why don't we reserve judgments and watch him play for Arsenal first.
Yeah don't really understand where that sort of stuff is coming from.

I'm baffled reading stuff like, "Cazorla goes anonymous in big games". Suppose it's the same as people calling Ozil a luxury signing, ain't watched Arsenal.

spidye

Mourinho and Schaaf no capable managers?

Go and get Klinsmann again lol. Can't believe that.

Schaaf made him what he was at madrid. he needed more years with schaaf. his transfer to real was way to early in his career. compare his bremen years to his schalke years

Mourinho is a very good manager but not for young players. It seems to me that the players get worse when they play under him.

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
Man im so glad we have Palace as our first game back, we really need momentum going into the City game, and the season as a whole, i genuinely thought the Swansea game would give us a great lift but we have done nothing but regress since then. Im not saying we'll roll over Palace but if there is a team too start things off well against its the newly promoted lot. Id take 4 points from the next 2 games.

omgkitty

Yeah don't really understand where that sort of stuff is coming from.

I'm baffled reading stuff like, "Cazorla goes anonymous in big games". Suppose it's the same as people calling Ozil a luxury signing, ain't watched Arsenal.

If you're an attacking player, and don't score a goal or get an assist in a game, you are a failure.

Bendtner has released a statement:

If he's focused and ready to work, I have no issue with him being our backup. Always thought he was a good player when he wasn't being a cunt.

Agreed. My issue with him not leaving was 100% him being a twat for the past three years and not at all a critique on his ability.

Jack cw

At Madrid and in the national team, he could have his time off during a match or even a whole match off without problems. There were just so many other excellent players and opponents that don't have a chance.
Yeah right... especially many players from Dortmund, right? We saw what happened against Switzerland ;) Özil has to play in the squad. There is no other, not even Kroos that could play the 10.

Carbonox

Some really big clubs got taken to the bank, as the pressure to buy a player, any player became too big. Real, United and Arsenal overpaid for guys like Bale, Fellaini and Ozil.

City also overspent but they almost do not even count, they are Football Manager Trainer 1.1 press F3 with unlimited funds anyway.

Also Calcio quotes

“If Gareth Bale is worth €120m, then Paul Pogba is worth at least twice as much. Pogba is a Salvador Dali painting, while Mario Balotelli is the Mona Lisa.”

What painting is Bale then?

WKOEv35l.jpg

ElyrionX

So we were in for Thiago, Cesc, Fellaini, Herrera and now Khedira and Sneijder too? What the fuck? Was there even a midfielder in the world that we were not linked with? And why the fuck did we not sign Ozil? Are we fucking Manchester United or not? Somebody needs to be fired for this shit. Fucking hell.

Carbonox

Real Madrid made good signings but not enough. One or two injuries and they'll have to play 6-a-side footy in the slums of Madrid with other street rats.

I can see them going for an emergency loan or two at this rate.

Carlton Cole is available too.

Jack cw

So we were in for Thiago, Cesc, Fellaini and now Khedira and Sneijder too? What the fuck? Was there even a midfielder in the world that we were not linked with? And why the fuck did we not sign Ozil? Are we fucking Manchester United or not? Somebody needs to be fired for this shit. Fucking hell.

And they said I was quick :D

spidye

Chelsea's first title winning squad owe much of their development to him. Prime example being Lampard.

Lampard was 25/26 when Mou became his manager. not quite the age I meant.

I'm talking about u23 players. young players who still have to develop into a top class player

qindarka

Banned
How I rate Chelsea's transfer business

Signings

Eto'o: We will have to see if he can still cut it at this level but I think we need someone with experience in our attack and he has bags of it. Hopefully his natural goalscoring ability should make up for any loss of pace that comes with age.

Schurrle: At first I questioned why we need him but seeing his energy, drive and pace in recent games its quite clear what he can bring to the side. I think he will suit Mourinho's system down to the ground and will be the perfect player to counter any opposition who likes to attack down the wings.

Van Ginkel: I have been really impressed by him in preseason, He has the positional and tackling ability to play a defensive midfielder but also the vision and the passing to start attacks. I think in the long term he will be our best signing this summer.

Will.I.An: He is a very good player but I really have to question why we need him, I really don't know what he will bring to the side that we don't already have. Hopefully we will see that in the coming weeks.

Schwarzer: Best back up keeper in the premiership. Second best back up keeper in the world after Casillas.

De Bruyne: I really like this guy, he had a poor game against Man Utd but I think nerves got the better of him. He is a really good crosser of the ball and has probably the best passing ability of anyone in our squad. I think he will become a really useful player over the course of the season and offers something different from the other AMs.

Outgoings:

Lukaku: Sad to see him go on loan again, I think it was between him and Ba who would go on loan and in the end Ba's move to Arsenal never happened. Could be a blessing, as Lukaku should get plenty of games for Everton, most likely more then he would have got for Chelsea if he stayed. Still think he is an excellent player and we will miss him.

Moses: Sad again, I guess there just isn't enough room in our squad for him but he is a very good player and hopefully he will do well at Liverpool.

Overall: Our best business this summer was getting Mourinho back, he should make us serious title contenders again. I am happy with most of our signings the only worry is we now have too many attacking midfielders and some might get upset if they don't get played.

Pretty much how I feel as well. Really need to see Van Ginkel more, hope he can be given a chance to start soon.

I'm slightly disappointed by Lukaku's loan but he was in all likelihood never going to be ready to lead the line just yet. I've noticed a lot of our fans have been ridiculously negative about Eto'o and tend to overrate Lukaku a little. Still would have wanted him ass second choice though Torres will be fine if he can keep up his performance from the Super Cup (He won't, I'm deluding myself again).

Meier

Not really. I'd say we actually got very good deals on everyone we signed. Ferna was £12.5m less than his release clause which is almost unheard of for a Shakhtar player -- £30m was probably a lot to spend on someone his age, but his UCL experience and ability was something we really needed. Navas was cheaper than expected as was Jovetic (didn't pay the entire release clause up front, heavily incentivized about 20% of it). Negredo was a pretty fair price given his success in Spain. He's younger than Soldado and at least thus far, looks better and cost less.

Dimechelis was maybe £1m more than we'd have liked to spend, but honestly, his fee was pretty much negligible to a big club.

Mourinho is a very good manager but not for young players. It seems to me that the players get worse when they play under him.

He got a whole lot of young players to overperform enough to win CL with Porto. In Chelsea obviously Roman bought some players that Mou didn't even ask for, with the at times crazy spendings and the amount of players he had at his disposal it made sense for him to just always play the best.

But hell, he made a 21 year old Cech first team keeper, do I have to post CL gifs for you to remember how well that turned out? and that was at a time where Cudicini was still seen as a top keeper and had even been player of the year a few years before. Not to mention a 21 year old Joe Cole who never got to perform as well ever again as under Mourinho and 20 year old Robben. You could say he made Mikel a worse player by getting him to be a more defensive player though, although his amazing attacking abilities were never even tested on the big stage, he was 17 when Mou really wanted him though and kept using him together with a very young Kalou too, who he also got to perform fairly well considering how shit he in reality is.

Inter was just an old ass clubs full of old ass players. Madrid has also had quite a few young players play very well for them since his arrival, although also suffering a bit of too much money to spend syndrome like Chelsea.

Meier

Real Madrid made good signings but not enough. One or two injuries and they'll have to play 6-a-side footy in the slums of Madrid with other street rats.

I can see them going for an emergency loan or two at this rate.

Barca and Madrid do have an advantage in that Barca B and Castilla have players that are good enough to slot into their first team and still win league games. Whether or not they'd be enough to cover for a major injury in the UCL is hard to say.

Those turned down bids are making me think maybe Moyes thinks our players are not good enough for champions league football. While I do agree, what baffles me is trying to figure out what is he looking for? Specifically in Khedira and Snjieder. Were they waiting for Madrid to turn us down before giving the green light for Fellain?

Right now I think we should make a move for a winger in January and start preparing a big bid for Ronaldo in the summer.

I do wonder as to who will we lose come next year, I'm thinking: Giggs, Young and Nani.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom