• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2013/14 |OT5| Levy to Woodward "You're nobody. Pass me the ball"

Status
Not open for further replies.

confuziz

Banned
fixed.

he'll be gone... eventually. i say we nail him to a lower case "T", that should do the trick.

Okay Lambda. Seriously.

You can ask the entire Eredivsie GAF about Sulejmani, especially Ajax GAF.

Sulejmani is...incredible..but not in a positive way.

This will be your worst purchase in the history of the club.

LTWheels

Just finished watching Prometheus. Quite enjoyed it. Was expecting it to be far worse based upon what people have said about it.

Jack cw

Ozil said he was happy to be joining up with Germany team mates Lukas Podolski and Per Mertesacker at Arsenal and the fact that the London club's manager Arsene Wenger spoke German would help him to settle in.

He did the right choice. He loved Madrid but he didnt get that love back so he went for Arsenal. A perfect fit, they need a playmaker since Fabregas left and they got one of the best.

Galatasaray say that we 'indirectly' bid for Sneijder. I'm past being embarrassed now.

jamie jackson ‏@GuardianJamieJ 3m

"Sneijder received an indirect offer from Manchester United two weeks ago but it was not accepted," Bulunt Tulun, Galatasaray

dc89

Manchester City FC

9/10

Positive
+ Pellegrini.
+ Fernandino. Looks a very competent player.
+ Navas. Just what we've not had since Shauny-Wright was good, a winger who can go past a player and cross the ball.
+ Negredo. Looks quality, I hope he is more than just a super sub.
+ Jojo. Yurt tells me he's good.
+ Shedding like... £500k a week off the wage bill, even after making the above signings.
+ Signing a shed ton of commercial deals, thank you #BasedGlick
+ The new kits are nice, especially the rumoured third kit.
+ Aguero's contract extension
+ Zabaleta's contract extension
+ Rekik going out on loan, he looks a unit. I expect him in the first team next year.

Negatives:
- Loaning Barry. He's useful and maybe we should have gone for a fee.
- Selling Carlos. He's a marvelous cunt.
- These early injuries to Kompany and Nastasic, I hope it's not a sign of things to come as we look shite without them.
- Denis Suarez. :(
- Joe Hart looks sketchy as fuck. St.Iker remains on the bench in some far flung land, waiting for Txiki to come a'knocking.

Highlights
- Txiki proving GAF wrong.

Okay Lambda. Seriously.

You can ask the entire Eredivsie GAF about Sulejmani, especially Ajax GAF.

Sulejmani is...incredible..but not in a positive way.

This will be your worst purchase in the history of the club.

meh. Coentrão looked good here, we can make anyone world class.

edit: wait a minute, did United signed anyone?

Meier

Treat him well. Do not bemoan his lack of pace, instead enjoy the football brain, the distribution and the assassin style tackles.

He's so underrated, a big part of our title winning side. I ain't joking.

I think anyone who has watched the team would probably rather we have kept Barry and sold off Javi Garcia but who would want him at this point? Hopefully he can come good some day... Godwell should definitely be above him in the pecking order.

I really hope we figure out a loan move for Guidetti. I know some other countries have their windows open a day or two later than England usually.. that may not be the case this year due to the Monday closure though (I dunno).

I think we've done fanstastic business this summer. Mkhitaryan already showed the class to decide a match on his own, Aubameyang is a constant threat with his speed and Sokratis is a fantastic 3rd CB.

Also left some room for young players to break through, which Hofmann has done quite well.

Losing Götze obviously was shit but we didn't really have a choice. And from today I wouldn't even say it's all that bad. Mkhitaryan looks like he can fill the role how Klopp wants his CAM to play a bit better than Götze (more direct/quick passing, better finishing, maybe better defending).

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
Someone put a copy of FM 2013 on Woodwards desk when he got the job of securing transfers, Im sure he believes that like fm if you bid for every cm and am in the world at grossly below their price eventually the game will bug and accept one.

Jack cw

Losing Götze obviously was shit but we didn't really have a choice. And from today I wouldn't even say it's all that bad. Mkhitaryan looks like he can fill the role how Klopp wants his CAM to play a bit better than Götze (more direct/quick passing, better finishing, maybe better defending).

You had a good start but lets wait how this is going when the CL starts. Injuries, red cards etc. You had a great squad last season too, and lost on all competitions because you simply dont had enough quality players. I hope this will be better this time. I dont wanna see another boring Bundesliga :)

dc89

BTPe5szCEAAgw1A.jpg:large

Messi flying pleb class*?

* - anything but private jet.

I think we've done fanstastic business this summer. Mkhitaryan already showed the class to decide a match on his own, Aubameyang is a constant threat with his speed and Sokratis is a fantastic 3rd CB.

Also left some room for young players to break through, which Hofmann has done quite well.

When's Piszczek coming back?

Manager

Manchester City FC

9/10

Positive
+ Pellegrini.
+ Fernandino. Looks a very competent player.
+ Navas. Just what we've not had since Shauny-Wright was good, a winger who can go past a player and cross the ball.
+ Negredo. Looks quality, I hope he is more than just a super sub.
+ Jojo. Yurt tells me he's good.
+ Shedding like... £500k a week off the wage bill, even after making the above signings.
+ Signing a shed ton of commercial deals, thank you #BasedGlick
+ The new kits are nice, especially the rumoured third kit.
+ Aguero's contract extension
+ Zabaleta's contract extension
+ Rekik going out on loan, he looks a unit. I expect him in the first team next year.

Negatives:
- Loaning Barry. He's useful and maybe we should have gone for a fee.
- Selling Carlos. He's a marvelous cunt.
- These early injuries to Kompany and Nastasic, I hope it's not a sign of things to come as we look shite without them.
- Denis Suarez. :(
- Joe Hart looks sketchy as fuck. St.Iker remains on the bench in some far flung land, waiting for Txiki to come a'knocking.

Highlights
- Txiki proving GAF wrong.

If City would have sold Barry, I doubt they'd get anyone to pay for him since everyone know City don't need him. And if City would let him go on a free, they'd have to pay a loyalty bonus when he left.

This way, no money is needed to be paid, and he won't be able to play against City.

Looking at the injury bit, Kompany literally had nothing to do against Newcastle so I hope it was because he didn't move much after halftime and went a bit stiff. Nastasic is hard to judge since the Sunderland player apparently stepped on his leg, it apparently wasn't the pitch.

More worried about Richards though, he's really needed this year with Maicon gone and more or less no CB capable as right back with Kolo gone.

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
Opened FM 2011 a couple of days ago.

Started with Liverpool. Gave up after 3 days. Far too depressing.

I remember old champ man games I used to load up 2 owners, one as United and one as Liverpool and literally sell every good player livepool had then retire and just resume my United account, the results were hilarious to me. Then over the years doing this felt counter productive as there was no-one to sell and it made little difference if i did. I think im going to have to start doing it again :s

LTWheels

My favourite parts of these kinds of movies is seeing everyone going their daily life before things turn to the worse.

I really like the concepts and ideas behind the universe that it created, more so than the 'horror/action/suspense' elements.

I like it when a world feels lived in.

Right seeing as the transfer window is over I'm gonna order my shirt/shirts.

United home - RVP
United away - Who do I get on it? It's between Rafael, Chicharito or Welbeck.

And maybe 1 more, Barca/Juve/PSG/France away with Pogba.

Help.

p.s I'm not getting Fellaini.

I got Chicharito and it is fantastic. It's my good luck shirt, I always score when I wear it.

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
Looks like West Ham are resigning Carlton Cole after releasing him in the Summer...that's got to be embarrassing for everyone involved.

if Arsenal fans really expect Fabregas kind of plays from Özil they'll be in for a massive disappointment. I'm still not sure whether I like the transfer or not, to me Özil is more of luxury type of player. I believe the CR7 & Özil Combo was a match made in heaven and that they'll both miss each otther. I mean just watch one of Özil's highlight reels, yeah he provides a ton of incredible assists but some of Ronaldo's finishes are out of this world.

I expect the Arsenal Özil to be more akin to his national team self rather than the Real Madrid version. He'll most likely do as many things to piss you off as he does good. In Madrid the scale shifted towards the genius aspect of his game, because the squad was well suited to mask his inadequacies (work rate, lack lustre attitude, will to win) and to take advantage of his stengths.

If you could combine Khedira and Özil you'd have the perfect football player, but as seperate players they represent totally different ends of the skill / physicality / football intelligence spectrum. That's why it kinda made sense for Real to have both of them in the team.

I agree there. I think his 09/10 season at Bremen is the one to look at when you want to see how Arsenal could do this season. Certainly good enough to improve the team but he's not the kind of player that will save the day when everyone's having a bad day. All while having a few matches in which he's doing fuck at all.

faridmon

If City would have sold Barry, I doubt they'd get anyone to pay for him since everyone know City don't need him. And if City would let him go on a free, they'd have to pay a loyalty bonus when he left.

This way, no money is needed to be paid, and he won't be able to play against City.

I hear that it cost us 3 Million to loan him and that includes his wages. Do you know if there is any truth behind that. I am glad we got him, but I really don't think he is worth that adamant wages he is asking for.

Manager

I think anyone who has watched the team would probably rather we have kept Barry and sold off Javi Garcia but who would want him at this point? Hopefully he can come good some day... Godwell should definitely be above him in the pecking order.

I really hope we figure out a loan move for Guidetti. I know some other countries have their windows open a day or two later than England usually.. that may not be the case this year due to the Monday closure though (I dunno).

I really have no idea what kind of player Rodwell is anymore. When he arrived he was seen as some kind of DM who could play CB but also box-to-box. Then Mancini used him as some kind of attacking midfielder the few times he played.

I don't understand why Manuel never tried him as CB in pre-season. Rodwell himself recently said he'd think he'll end up there later in his career.

I don't understand Garcia. I just see him running around aimlessly in circles when he's defending outside the penalty area, the opposition just pass it around him and he never learns. He's the anti-Barry.

__

The loan window is open for a bit longer, a couple of weeks (it was posted a couple of pages back).

don't forget us. we got Siqueira, Markovic, Sulejmani and didn't lose any of the vitals (Cardozo, Garay, Matic).

You spent almost 13 Million in players that didn´t even played a single official match before being loaned to other clubs : Lisandro Lopez, Pizzi and Fariña. Only a delusional man would say that Benfica had a good transfer window.

You had a good start but lets wait how this is going when the CL starts. Injuries, red cards etc. You had a great squad last season too, and lost on all competitions because you simply dont had enough quality players. I hope this will be better this time. I dont wanna see another boring Bundesliga :)

No, this squad is definately better.

Sokratis > Santana
Sahin >>> Leitner
Aubameyang > Perisic
Hofmann > Bittencourt

Especially Sahin and Aubameyang are players you can field without worrying, that was definately not the case with Leitner and Perisic. Also, they are much more flexible. Sokratis can play as RB, Aubameyang as striker.

When's Piszczek coming back?

Won't play before January :(

Peco

Milan

6/10

+ Signed Poli who has already proven to be good
+ Sold Boateng
+ Kept El Shaa in the team
+ Petagna on loan, hopefully he'll play more at Sampdoria
+ Flamini gone
++++++++ ANTONINI IS GONE

- No new CBs, Zapata is still shit, we had Astori right there
- Still missing another midfielder
- Petagna on loan, I was sure we would've kept him at least until January, I was hoping to see him play again some low table teams

TBD:
_ Kakà, Saponara and Vergara: I have high expectations for Saponetta and Vergara but they still have to play an official match. Kakà? Not really, but if he plays even at 60% of what we were used to see, it's all good.
_ Matri: he took Petagna's place, he's far from being the top striker we could ever buy, but I'm looking forward to him.

All in all I have good feelings about this team. They're young yet a good part of them already has some experience even in the CL, the third place is in our reach. Getting there might mean more money next summer, better signings and a project that somehow keeps going on. I hope to see us getting past the group stage in the CL too.

Solid summary. I just want to add that the new formation, 4-3-1-2 or whatever, is total crap imo. And Allegri is a douche.

Manager

I hear that it cost us 3 Million to loan him and that includes his wages. Do you know if there is any truth behind that. I am glad we got him, but I really don't think he is worth that adamant wages he is asking for.

Several sport chief editors on Twitter, Sun and Guardian I think, said Everton told them they're paying Barry's whole wages. At just under £100k, that makes around £5m.

omgkitty

Sokratis > Santana
Sahin >>> Leitner
Aubameyang > Perisic
Hofmann > Bittencourt

Especially Sahin and Aubameyang are players you can field without worrying, that was definately not the case with Leitner and Perisic. Also, they are much more flexible. Sokratis can play as RB, Aubameyang as striker.

Won't play before January :(

Where does Aubameyang play for you guys? I know he can play on the wing and up front, but I'd assume Lewandowski would be up there.

Jack cw

I agree there. I think his 09/10 season at Bremen is the one to look at when you want to see how Arsenal could do this season. Certainly good enough to improve the team but he's not the kind of player that will save the day when everyone's having a bad day. All while having a few matches in which he's doing fuck at all.

Its not like Özil hasnt improved at its time in Madrid...
He and Toni Kroos are the best german playmakers and he will be an assist machine with Arsenal. Giroud is an excellent finisher that will shine because of Özils work. There arent many offensive midfielders that could save a day... Honestly I havent seen one since Zidane....

I really hope so. Wolud be good for german football in general. I like a strong opponent for Bayern.

You spent almost 13 Million in players that didn´t even played a single official match before being loaned to other clubs : Lisandro Lopez, Pizzi and Fariña. Only a delusional man would say that Benfica had a good transfer window.

we do that every season. Markovic alone means the transfer season was a sucess.

omgkitty

Its not like Özil hasnt improved at its time in Madrid...
He and Toni Kroos are the best german playmakers and he will be an assist machine with Arsenal. Giroud is an excellent finisher that will shine because of Özils work. There arent many offensive midfielders that could save a day... Honestly I havent seen one since Zidane....

I just love all the "Oh well Ozil isn't that good, and he's kind of shit actually. He can't win you every single game and he can be lazy. You also don't have Ronaldo on your team, so who's he going to pass it to score for you?" I mean for fucks sake. Why don't we reserve judgments and watch him play for Arsenal first.

spidye

if Arsenal fans really expect Fabregas kind of plays from Özil they'll be in for a massive disappointment. I'm still not sure whether I like the transfer or not, to me Özil is more of luxury type of player. I believe the CR7 & Özil Combo was a match made in heaven and that they'll both miss each otther. I mean just watch one of Özil's highlight reels, yeah he provides a ton of incredible assists but some of Ronaldo's finishes are out of this world.

I expect the Arsenal Özil to be more akin to his national team self rather than the Real Madrid version. He'll most likely do as many things to piss you off as he does good. In Madrid the scale shifted towards the genius aspect of his game, because the squad was well suited to mask his inadequacies (work rate, lack lustre attitude, will to win) and to take advantage of his stengths.

If you could combine Khedira and Özil you'd have the perfect football player, but as seperate players they represent totally different ends of the skill / physicality / football intelligence spectrum. That's why it kinda made sense for Real to have both of them in the team.

we should not forget that for the first time he has a capable manager. if he doesn't develop into a world class player he never will

mourinho is the worst manager for a young player. has there ever been a football player who developed into a better player under him?

faridmon

I just love all the "Oh well Ozil isn't that good, and he's kind of shit actually. He can't win you every single game and he can be lazy. You also don't have Ronaldo on your team, so who's he going to pass it to score for you?" I mean for fucks sake. Why don't we reserve judgments and watch him play for Arsenal first.

Wat

We are just saying it like we see it, whether he plays along side Ronaldo or Khadeira is irrelevant. Also, this is just an echo of what we have been saying for ever really. Its not like we hold a grudge against Arsenal or anything. Its a good buys, don't get me wrong, but is it what you need?

Meier

Several sport chief editors on Twitter, Sun and Guardian I think, said Everton told them they're paying Barry's whole wages. At just under £100k, that makes around £5m.

Wow, that's fantastic for us if they agreed to pay his whole wage. Honestly, that's a pretty fair price anyway at this point. I think he still has a few years left of top flight football and he'll undoubtedly be keen to re-sign for them in January once he is free to do so as well.

I think Rodwell will probably slot back in as a "DM" but make some box to box runs a la Ferna and Yaya. All 3 are similar types of players (in varying levels of ability of course hah).

How I rate Chelsea's transfer business

Signings

Eto'o: We will have to see if he can still cut it at this level but I think we need someone with experience in our attack and he has bags of it. Hopefully his natural goalscoring ability should make up for any loss of pace that comes with age.

Schurrle: At first I questioned why we need him but seeing his energy, drive and pace in recent games its quite clear what he can bring to the side. I think he will suit Mourinho's system down to the ground and will be the perfect player to counter any opposition who likes to attack down the wings.

Van Ginkel: I have been really impressed by him in preseason, He has the positional and tackling ability to play a defensive midfielder but also the vision and the passing to start attacks. I think in the long term he will be our best signing this summer.

Will.I.An: He is a very good player but I really have to question why we need him, I really don't know what he will bring to the side that we don't already have. Hopefully we will see that in the coming weeks.

Schwarzer: Best back up keeper in the premiership. Second best back up keeper in the world after Casillas.

De Bruyne: I really like this guy, he had a poor game against Man Utd but I think nerves got the better of him. He is a really good crosser of the ball and has probably the best passing ability of anyone in our squad. I think he will become a really useful player over the course of the season and offers something different from the other AMs.

Outgoings:

Lukaku: Sad to see him go on loan again, I think it was between him and Ba who would go on loan and in the end Ba's move to Arsenal never happened. Could be a blessing, as Lukaku should get plenty of games for Everton, most likely more then he would have got for Chelsea if he stayed. Still think he is an excellent player and we will miss him.

Moses: Sad again, I guess there just isn't enough room in our squad for him but he is a very good player and hopefully he will do well at Liverpool.

Overall: Our best business this summer was getting Mourinho back, he should make us serious title contenders again. I am happy with most of our signings the only worry is we now have too many attacking midfielders and some might get upset if they don't get played.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom