• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2013/14 |OT5| Levy to Woodward "You're nobody. Pass me the ball"

Status
Not open for further replies.

jtb

Banned
Tough for me to consider someone like Isco the signing of the summer when he's pretty much a like for like replacement for Ozil. Is he really bringing that much more to the table besides a net gain of 20m? A transfer like Tevez or Gomez is a lot more interesting, imo.

Wilbur

Banned
I know it's goal.com, but just for the sake of encouraging discussion :p

I think its a good list; their top three is probably my top 3. Higuain and Bale are the only ones that stand out for me; I don't rate Higuain very highly at all and Bale's price tag is so much more than everyone else's that he has the most to prove.

Like I said earlier, I think Isco's going to be better than Bale and Ozil so 30m is a bargain for me.

Koko

Banned
Isco is first? wut?

tumblr_mslt51JdIC1rshrcvo1_250.gif

For me these are the good ones:

2. David Villa (Barcelona - Atletico Madrid €2.1m + add-ons)

3. Carlos Tevez (Manchester City - Juventus €9m + addons)

6. Paulinho (Corinthians - Tottenham €20.6m)

7. Radamel Falcao (Atletico Madrid - Monaco €60m)

8. Juan Quintero (Atletico Nacional - Porto €5m)

10. Neymar (Santos - Barcelona €57m)

11. Jesus Navas (Sevilla - Manchester City €17.6m)

13. Kevin Strootman (PSV - Roma €17m)

16. Erik Lamela (Roma - Tottenham €30m)

17. Eric Abidal (Barcelona - Monaco free transfer)

18. Henrikh Mkhitaryan (Shakhtar - Dortmund €27.5m)

Willian, Bale, Cavani, Gotze and Cavani are odd cus they're unnecessary vanity purchases imo.

I think Quintero will end up being the best deal.

Lightning

Banned

Where's Mitra Matri?
Ozil should be higher on the list. At a good price too!

50m and Arsenal! Ha, NO ONE would have thought they would ever see that so we should get the biggest surprise transfer!

For me these are the good ones:

2. David Villa (Barcelona - Atletico Madrid €2.1m + add-ons)

3. Carlos Tevez (Manchester City - Juventus €9m + addons)

6. Paulinho (Corinthians - Tottenham €20.6m)

7. Radamel Falcao (Atletico Madrid - Monaco €60m)

8. Juan Quintero (Atletico Nacional - Porto €5m)

10. Neymar (Santos - Barcelona €57m)

11. Jesus Navas (Sevilla - Manchester City €17.6m)

13. Kevin Strootman (PSV - Roma €17m)

16. Erik Lamela (Roma - Tottenham €30m)

17. Eric Abidal (Barcelona - Monaco free transfer)

18. Henrikh Mkhitaryan (Shakhtar - Dortmund €27.5m)

Willian, Bale, Cavani, Gotze and Cavani are odd cus they're unnecessary vanity purchases imo.

I think Quintero will end up being the best deal.
And you skip Ozil!

Lightning

Banned
Yep, cus he's so fucking expensive and wasn't key to what you needed imo.
50m is not that expensive for a player like Ozil in the current market. He is up there with Fabregas in terms of creativity.

And imo he was needed. Having Ozil makes it even easier to attract the best strikers knowing Ozil will help set them up.

Wilbur

Banned
50m is not that expensive for a player like Ozil in the current market. He is up there with Fabregas in terms of creativity.

And imo he was needed. Having Ozil makes it even easier to attract the best strikers knowing Ozil will help set them up.

Who do you define as the best strikers? I can't think of one that I'd call 'best' that would be interested in Arsenal whether or not Ozil is there.

jtb

Banned
Who do you define as the best strikers? I can't think of one that I'd call 'best' that would be interested in Arsenal whether or not Ozil is there.

obviously it's not happening and I don't even rate him that highly, but Suarez?

I can't wait for the international break to end so all this 'Ozil not being key' or 'Ozil is a luxury signing' shite can go away.

On the face of it, its true. He's a hell of an upgrade though. Hyperbolic, but I think he single-handedly puts you back on a par with Spurs, squad-wise

Arnie

obviously it's not happening and I don't even rate him that highly, but Suarez?

The sticking point with Suarez wasn't your playmaker situation, it was that we'll never sell him to you.

Ozil changes nothing in that regard.

Lightning

Banned
You would have said the same about Ozil before he signed for us. You would have said the same about us spending 50m until we done it.

Benzema for example is totally attainable but not at the moment because he's Madrid main striker.

Wilbur

Banned
You would have said the same about Ozil before he signed for us. You would have said the same about us spending 50m until we done it.

Benzema for example is totally attainable but not at the moment because he's Madrid main striker.

When Bale signed for Real Madrid I wouldn't have ruled out Ozil going to Arsenal. And even so it still seems like he was forced out and didn't particularly want to go, he's said as much.

I don't rate Benzema as one of the best strikers.

K1LLER7

Ozil is a great buy for Arsenal.

Don't expect him to have the same stats he had a Madrid. Mainly because he isn't supplying to Ronaldo.

But he'll make Arsenal a better attacking team. They still need to fix the defence so I expect them to fight for 4th this season. Make some defensive improvements, maybe add a striker and some squad depth, then they'll fight for the title.

Salvadora

On the face of it, its true. He's a hell of an upgrade though. Hyperbolic, but I think he single-handedly puts you back on a par with Spurs, squad-wise
It isn't, creativity was a huge problem for us last season. So many 1-0s, so much reliance on Cazorla (something like 35% of goals!).

Nobody denies the need for a striker, CB or goalkeeper but it was absolutely needed.

jtb

Banned
The sticking point with Suarez wasn't your playmaker situation, it was that we'll never sell him to you.

Ozil changes nothing in that regard.

I know, but Wilbury was saying that Arsenal can't attract world class strikers either way. Suarez was open to a move so not all hope is lost. The pipe dream is that Suarez moves to Madrid next summer and we get Benzema.

Spurs' defense is pretty shaky, their midfield creativity relies solely on Eriksen, Lamela is a question mark, strikers are a question mark (Defoe is pretty limited, Adebayor is shit... we'll see how long it takes for Soldado to gel), etc. Their squad is pretty lopsided imo, a lot of quality in midfield, but lacking proven quality on the wings, behind the striker, etc. We'll see.

It isn't, creativity was a huge problem for us last season. So many 1-0s, so much reliance on Cazorla (something like 35% of goals!).

Nobody denies the need for a striker, CB or goalkeeper but it was absolutely needed.

With Cazorla, creativity from behind the striker should not be a problem. A top class left winger would have been more of a focus if I was Wenger, but Ozil is so good, it dosn't matter :p

Was £38 million actually. Goes up to 42.5 if targets are met.

bjaelke

That depends if we're talking starting XI or entire squad.
David Villa is definitely coming to the Premier League this summer, and Arsenal, Tottenham and Liverpool are all in for the Barcelona striker.
My favourite transfer story this Summer courtesy of the Mirror.

Salvadora

With Cazorla, creativity from behind the striker should not be a problem. A top class left winger would have been more of a focus if I was Wenger, but Ozil is so good, it dosn't matter :p
Cazorla played in every away game last season, that isn't sustainable. Relying on a player so much, especially one adapting to a new league, is disastrous.

Part of the reason Giroud got so much stick last season was missing chances. Arsenal created so few that if he didn't score the trickle that we created, we would lose or draw. That shouldn't happen now.

Cazorla to the left of me, Ozil to the right, here I am, stuck in the middle Giroud

Mastadon

Banned
Creativity was definitely an issue last season, Özil should help with that. I expect a top striker next summer though, no excuses.

I must admit I didn't watch an awful lot of Arsenal last season, but wasn't part of your lack of creativity due to the fact that opposition teams were able to exert so much pressure on the Arsenal midfield and defence? I know you had the second best defence last season etc, but that was because you were having to play deeper and more restrained to help support your defenders, especially with the lack of a DM.

I think Ozil is fantastic, I really do, but if I were an Arsenal fan I think I'd probably be happier if other areas were strengthened first to support players like Cazorla.

Arnie

I know, but Wilbury was saying that Arsenal can't attract world class strikers either way. Suarez was open to a move so not all hope is lost. The pipe dream is that Suarez moves to Madrid next summer and we get Benzema.

Aye, bit of confusion there.

Suarez saga was a weird one, it's extremely rare for a striker of his ability to be at a club without Champions League football, and that's something he was desperate for. I don't really think his desire to join Arsenal stemmed from Arsenal being a "desirable" destination for a top striker, but given that you offered Champions League football and were the only club legitimately interested, he seemed intent on moving south.

Would that change with Ozil and a 2nd or 3rd place finish this season? Perhaps.

And regarding Benzema I'd much rather have Giroud. Benzema is lazy and wasteful.

Wilbur

Banned
Giroud vs Sturridge poll yesterday. First to twenty

Oh yeah hahaha, silly me

Don't think there's too much between the two if I'm being honest. I quite like Giroud, I give him far more stick here than I actually believe just to wind up Arsenal fans. Different players, but if both are on top form they're pretty close.

And I agree with Arnie re: Giroud > Benz

That is so abstract...

Jelavic is 3/27 is that is the case. But I think McCarthy will bump him into 8/33

Jelavic's shiteness transcends ratios and statistics, and can only be described in binary code

01001010 01100101 01101100 01100001 01110110 01101001 01100011 00100000 01101001 01110011 00100000 01110011 01101000 01101001 01110100 01100101

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom