• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2013/14 |OT5| Levy to Woodward "You're nobody. Pass me the ball"

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's a tough one, but I think, at this point, a new contract would be the right move.

He's addressed the weaknesses in the squad (minus defense.... but at least Per/Kos is a good pairing) and actually attempted to fix them. Which is more than I can say for the past couple seasons. We'll see, I think our biggest problem is that if Wenger goes, the potential replacements are probably all going to be a step down.

Not really

Nah US is Xbox country, MS outsold the Sony last gen by over 10m units, launching a week earlier isn't going to be the reason Sony overtakes MS as market leader. It will come down to price, games and which console appears to provide more value.
Is this because of the "buy American" thing?

Salvadora

That's a tough one, but I think, at this point, a new contract would be the right move.

He's addressed the weaknesses in the squad (minus defense.... but at least Per/Kos is a good pairing) and actually attempted to fix them. Which is more than I can say for the past couple seasons. We'll see, I think our biggest problem is that if Wenger goes, the potential replacements are probably all going to be a step down.
It is interesting that the defensive improvements Arsenal have made have been done completely without buying any new players. Steve Bould is an unsung hero.
Not really
Lack of creativity was a major issue.

Meier

1185455_518305234910574_924206124_n.jpg

Look at that sexy beast. Matt Smith looks so weird with his hair like that.. yikes. Particularly outclassed next to The Chief.

Dibbz

We need to get Wenger's contract sorted too. Stay or go in your opinion?

C'mon son. Why is this even a question? Wenger is the reason Özil came to us. Just think about it. Özil, fucking prime of his career, playing for Real Madrid with essentially guaranteed trophies and he left them to join us? Something is brewing and I god damn want to see it over the next couple of seasons.

The way the fifa ratings are done is terrible anyway, I did edit some data for it last year and got a few things changed in the Danish league, but the "main researchers" are usually a bunch of fucking idiots and does their "but how long has he performed like that?". Seriously Cornelius kept being easily Copenhagens worst striker, despite him being easily the best player of the whole team...

Carbonox

How are Fletcher and Giggs 80? This is why I think fifa ratings need to be scrapped and just come up with another way of showing their attributes.

Yup. Ludicrous ratings. One's a paraplegic bowel syndrome wheelbarrow dweller who's irrelevant now and the other is a 56 year old yoga instructor with a penchant for in-laws and sent his brother's relationship status to Belize.

danwarb

The way the fifa ratings are done is terrible anyway, I did edit some data for it last year and got a few things changed in the Danish league, but the "main researchers" are usually a bunch of fucking idiots and does their "but how long has he performed like that?". Seriously Cornelius kept being easily Copenhagens worst striker, despite him being easily the best player of the whole team...
They should just use weighted stats like whoscored.com with opta. Then people can blame the players for being shit, or the system.

Aside from striker and maybe GK yes he did.

Forgot about Viviano so GK is fair enough, you really should have been going all out for a centreback, a DM and a striker imo. Even though you targeted Higuain and Suarez, once they became impossible you seem to have given up altogether

Salvadora

C'mon son. Why is this even a question? Wenger is the reason Özil came to us. Just think about it. Özil, fucking prime of his career, playing for Real Madrid with essentially guaranteed trophies and he left them to join us? Something is brewing and I god damn want to see it over the next couple of seasons.
Klopp would've done the same.

:)

Timurid

Forgot about Viviano so GK is fair enough, you really should have been going all out for a centreback, a DM and a striker imo. Even though you targeted Higuain and Suarez, once they became impossible you seem to have given up altogether

Flamini, Diaby, Verm, and Bendtner will carry them to a title.

That's exactly what he wasn't going to though.

Meanwhile he was still too cheap to get a decent CB and DM in.... and probably need another striker too, one or two injuries and you're kind of fucked in the defense or attack.

Lightning

Banned
Lets see here.

Attempted to sign Higuain - Failed
Attempted to sign Rooney - Failed
Attempted to sign Suarez - Failed
Attempted to sign Benzema - Failed

We ended up signing Ozil despite Wenger 1 and half weeks ago saying we don't need more creativity, Rosicky, Cazorla and Wilshere are enough

Attempted to sign Lars Bender - Failed
Attempted to sign Asier - Failed
Attempted to sign Gustavo - Failed

Ended up with free transfer Flamini

Enquired about Begovic - Failed
Enquired about Cesar - Failed
Tried to sign Guatia - Failed

Ended up with Seria B goal keeper.

That was out transfer window in a nutshell and as for the amount of deadwood we needed to get rid off, I wonder who's fault that was? All Ozil did was paint over one complete fuck up of a transfer window.

Wilbur

Banned
Young actually plays matches and have proven himself to at least at one point being competent at the highest level. Januzaj is a kid who hasn't done shit but impress some fans during pre season and reserve matches.

but young is the devil incarnate
januzaj is sweet and has nice cheek bones

jtb

Banned

I don't really buy that. Wenger is keeping us in the CL, which is great, but Ozil really didn't have all that many potential suitors. Very few clubs can afford the 42m fee + his wages, are in the CL, are in the PL (occasionally a factor, I guess it was here), and could guarantee him a first team place. If we beat PSG to the punch, that's definitely to Wenger's credit but I'm skeptical just how much of a factor Wenger was.

Fifa ratings are like IGN review scores.

You think if the clubs invites EA to come and visit them and give them some free shit, they will get good scores? I actually read IGN's barf worthy GTAV previews yesterday, just the same old filled hyperbolic BS from them, wonder if they can out do themselves with a new quote similar to "oscar worthy story".

Barzul

Lets see here.

Attempted to sign Higuain - Failed
Attempted to sign Rooney - Failed
Attempted to sign Suarez - Failed
Attempted to sign Benzema - Failed

We ended up signing Ozil despite Wenger 1 and half weeks ago saying we don't need more creativity, Rosicky, Cazorla and Wilshere are enough

Attempted to sign Lars Bender - Failed
Attempted to sign Asier - Failed
Attempted to sign Gustavo - Failed

Ended up with free transfer Flamini

Enquired about Begovic - Failed
Enquired about Cesar - Failed
Tried to sign Guatia - Failed

Ended up with Seria B goal keeper.

That was out transfer window in a nutshell and as for the amount of deadwood we needed to get rid off, I wonder who's fault that was? All Ozil did was paint over one complete fuck up of a transfer window.
Wenger must really regret not completing the Higuain deal. Although, I think we can get someone better next summer or even Jan (who knows). The player we should have signed was Villa on a 2 year contract, he would have been cover for LW and ST.

jtb

Banned
A serie b keeper that never actually played in the league though and for a long time was the second choice for the Italian national team.

Will probably be decent at Juve or whatever league he goes off to when he wants some playtime.

I take it you rate Viviano? I've read mixed reports on him... do you think he's an upgrade on Chesney?

Salvadora

I don't really buy that. Wenger is keeping us in the CL, which is great, but Ozil really didn't have all that many potential suitors. Very few clubs can afford the 42m fee + his wages, are in the CL, are in the PL (occasionally a factor, I guess it was here), and could guarantee him a first team place. If we beat PSG to the punch, that's definitely to Wenger's credit but I'm skeptical just how much of a factor Wenger was.
To add to that, Wenger tried to get Viviano last summer. He tried to get Cazorla the summer before he joined us. He was going to sign Monreal this summer before his hand was forced.

It doesn't paint a pretty picture. He either gets who he wants, or no one at all.

Barzul

Nah I think Wenger was an immense factor, substitute Wenger for Moyes in Arsenal's current position and imo, this signing would not have happened.

I take it you rate Viviano? I've read mixed reports on him... do you think he's an upgrade on Chesney?

Hard to say, was a bit shaky after injuries. But if he regains previous form I have no doubt he will be better than Chesney. The reason Palermo were desperate to get rid of him was his big wages, him not wanting to play Serie B and Palermo having 2 other keepers of way too good quality for Serie B, not his actual quality.

Lightning

Banned
A serie b keeper that never actually played in the league though and for a long time was the second choice for the Italian national team.
I don't know that much about him. Is he good? Better than Szczesny or at least can give him the boot up his ass he needs to perform?

My main point though was we went into that window knowing we needed a GK. We sold Mannone early to push this further then proceeded to fail to land our targets.

Hard to say, was a bit shaky after injuries. But if he regains previous form I have no doubt he will be better than Chesney.
Ah cool. We have a buy option so hopefully he gets his chance,

Scum

Ouch @ Rooney's cut.

You think if the clubs invites EA to come and visit them and give them some free shit, they will get good scores? I actually read IGN's barf worthy GTAV previews yesterday, just the same old filled hyperbolic BS from them, wonder if they can out do themselves with a new quote similar to "oscar worthy story".

"Tour de Force"
"Epic triumph!"
"Great send off into next gen!"

A man can dream right. I really love Pogba, he just reminds me of Viera every time I see him play. His technique is just sublime. And yeah I just looked it up, looks like Reus does infact have a 30 million euros release clause that is active in 2014, wonder how that one will play out.

No, Reus does infact not have a 30m release clause in 2014. I don't even know where you guys get that shit from. It's like the 5th time that I had to say that's bullshit.

In the interview for DFB.de, Özil sounded like Mertesacker and Podolski playing for Arsenal were a bigger factor than Wenger. But he's not the best rhetorically, so I could be wrong.

jtb

Banned
Whaaaat? People don't play with the 3D match engine?! This is so old school.

Laptops, man... the new 3-D engine is optimized horribly. It plays exactly the same anyways, you just miss out on all the hilarious buggy shit players do.

Barzul

No, Reus does infact not have a 30m release clause in 2014. I don't even know where you guys get that shit from. It's like the 5th time that I had to say that's bullshit.
Oh well. Seems smart that Dortmund ditched the release clause nonsense after the Gotze and Sahin deals.

Whaaaat? People don't play with the 3D match engine?! This is so old school.

I have gone back to the 2d match engine for the most part. 3D one sucks and I just prefer to look at the small dots and read the text instead, only switching over to 3d when something weird as fuck happens that I don't understand how could be possible.

Remember when it was just purely text? that was great too!

jtb

Banned
Nah I think Wenger was an immense factor, substitute Wenger for Moyes in Arsenal's current position and imo, this signing would not have happened.

Maybe not a like for like parallel, since Ozil is a far more high profile player, but Van Der Vaart had no problem moving to Spurs with wheeler dealer extraordinaire 'Arry at the helm. CL football + pay up + being forced out of Madrid... it happens. Arguably the same thing with Robben to Bayern; they were in a pretty shitty place after Klinnsman, right? You just have to move quickly, and we did.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom