• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2013/14 |OT5| Levy to Woodward "You're nobody. Pass me the ball"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes.

It's well fancy.

But I'm about to apply for a job as a Liverpool FC multi-media journalist at the Echo. London and PR are slowly eating me alive.
Ah.

Well, I'm saddened to hear London hasn't won you over and brought you over to the dark side but that job opportunity sounds pretty great. Liverpool is a nice city and football is quite nice too.

My ex's sister does PR at some big firm in London, absolutely loves it and gets headhunted every month.

but the new one sounds better for you.

If I have an English degree, I could theoretically apply for journalism posts without having done journalism courses, couldn't I? I didn't really have any desire to do it until quite recently but writing about football would be lovely. It's only after I missed all the journalism courses at uni lol.

I don't have any placements or anything either

im FUCKED
You can.

One of my friends did English at University and got into journalism. He had to start at the Mail mind you but after doing 2/3 years there he is now moving onto the Indy/Guardian.

Pretty sure...like so many professions, its one of those that does require some kind of work experience, even if its just within your own University and their paper/media.

Arnie

My ex's sister does PR at some big firm in London, absolutely loves it and gets headhunted every month.

but the new one sounds better for you.

If I have an English degree, I could theoretically apply for journalism posts without having done journalism courses, couldn't I? I didn't really have any desire to do it until quite recently but writing about football would be lovely. It's only after I missed all the journalism courses at uni lol.

I don't have any placements or anything either

im FUCKED
It's a very female dominated industry. Picture the conversation between women where they go 'oh your hair looks nice' and you've got PR. It's bullshit. It's shmoosing people. It's making things look better than they are. That's just not me.

Regarding journalism jobs I'm really not sure. This one that I'm applying for requires NCTJ qualifications (national council for the training of journalists), but there are probably jobs out there that don't ask for that.

Wilbur

Banned
You can.

One of my friends did English at University and got into journalism. He had to start at the Mail mind you but after doing 2/3 years there he is now moving onto the Indy/Guardian.

Pretty sure...like so many professions, its one of those that does require some kind of work experience, even if its just within your own University and their paper/media.

I've done a bit for my secondary school and my university's newspaper but I dunno if I've got copies anywhere haha. Got a few things posted online on that film website as well. I should start a fucking blog or something.

footygaf pls

It's a very female dominated industry. Picture the conversation between women where they go 'oh your hair looks nice' and you've got PR. It's bullshit. It's shmoosing people. It's making things look better than they are. That's just not me.

Regarding journalism jobs I'm really not sure. This one that I'm applying for requires NCTJ qualifications (national council for the training of journalists), but there are probably jobs out there that don't ask for that.

Yeah you are a cynical cunt. Love you for it, but maybe PR isn't for you haha.

What did you do at Adidas, was that the same thing? ask them 4 a job

rodvik

Hmm tasty.

move.gif

Arnie

Try a life of it dude. Try living and breathing it.
I do, man. I wake up at 7, and get in at 7. It's the majority of my day.
Ah.

Well, I'm saddened to hear London hasn't won you over and brought you over to the dark side but that job opportunity sounds pretty great. Liverpool is a nice city and football is quite nice too.

You can.

I feel so isolated here. Like, none of my friends are here, my family are in the North West, and at work I'm pretty much the only Northerner. Every time I say something slightly northern I get funny looks. I feel like I'm being poked with a stick, constantly.

And it's one of those industries where you just can't be proud of your work. PR's jobs is to hound journalists to run shit stories or talk about shit products that you know they aren't that interested in. I have to ring people and try to be excited about a fucking washing machine.

I don't feel like it's challenging me in the right ways, and I don't feel like it's fulfilling me, either. If they offer me the job in October I'll take it until I can get another, but I know for a fact I'm getting out of PR as soon as I can.

Arnie

Yeah you are a cynical cunt. Love you for it, but maybe PR isn't for you haha.

What did you do at Adidas, was that the same thing? ask them 4 a job

I'm as pessimistic and cynical in real life as I am on here, so picture that having to sell vacuum cleaners and washing machines. I get to do the odd thing for Sony, the sort of thing that'd probably give Kyoufu a prolapse (I knew the Gamescom conference script weeks before it happened), but it's not enough icing to make the rest of the cake at all palatable.

At Adidas it was a lot of sending clothes out to famous people, and cataloguing what was leaving the office and what was coming in. I quite enjoyed it, though. Mostly because I knew it was temporary. Wouldn't want to do it as a career though. They had a PR office upstairs, but again I'm not sure if that's my thing.

I'll either return to journalism or look at advertising. At least in advertising the creative element is something you can be genuinely proud of; it's intelligent creativity. In PR a creative campaign is something utterly dumb like building a cafe where everyone has to eat in silence. When I'm in brainstorms I'm open mouthed and frowny.

Yen

PR's jobs is to hound journalists to run shit stories or talk about shit products that you know they aren't that interested in. I have to ring people and try to be excited about a fucking washing machine.

1. Wilbz becomes journalist
2. Arnie Draper sends PR stuff to Wilbz J Jameson
3. ?????
4. Profit

Just went to watch Firefly on Netflix and the first episode was Serenity an hour of a half, I thought Serenity was the film? Didn't it come out after the show? I'm confused.

Arnie

1. Wilbz becomes journalist
2. Arnie Draper sends PR stuff to Wilbz J Jameson
3. ?????
4. Profit

I wish I was Don Draper, hence why I'm eyeing up advertising jobs.

Right now I'm more Pete Campbell, I've been told to take journalists out for lunch as a way of buttering them up. Would rather suffocate my bollocks with a looping curly wurly.

omgkitty

I wish I was Don Draper, hence why I'm eyeing up advertising jobs.

Right now I'm more Pete Campbell, I've been told to take journalists out for lunch as a way of buttering them up. Would rather suffocate my bollocks with a looping curly wurly.

You can be Ken Cosgrove instead. Pete's a twat.

Linius

Listening to the hero of canton now, so much good stuff in this show. Why Fox?!!!1?!1 Why?!!1

EDIT

That's it, I'm watching Serenity tonight. Still haven't seen it because I don't want to conclude the story :(

Messi

Listening to the hero of canton now, so much good stuff in this show. Why Fox?!!!1?!1 Why?!!1

Its better this way, it burnt bright and I have no doubt it would have gotten run into the ground. I am glad we have what we have.

EDIT

That's it, I'm watching Serenity tonight. Still haven't seen it because I don't want to conclude the story :(

Oh Linius, please let us know what you think of it.

Its great but has a slightly heavier tone than the show.

dat ending, dont click if you have not seen it

Poor Book, Poor Wash :( Like a leaf on the wind, watch me soar!

Linius

Its better this way, it burnt bright and I have no doubt it would have gotten run into the ground. I am glad we have what we have.

No way man, this show could have easily had another few solid seasons. Weedon was on this, the cast is great and there's a universe that's big enough to keep interesting. This train stopped too early because people have shit taste and didn't watch this show.

but keep this in mind, they were aired out of order fucking things up. watch them like this

correct order of firefly episodes

Enjoy

Oh I never knew. That's so weird, I will follow this. What's Serenity Part 1 and 2 btw?

Also, episode 1 is different than the film with the same name?

Thanks btw.

You are doing the right think here Sleepless. Get your tissues ready when you reach "Out of Gas".

Hoping to finish it by next week!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom