• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2014/15 |OT1| - Mes Que Un... Community

Status
Not open for further replies.

Timbuktu

Sterling has been the best for his age, the best prospect perhaps, but he never performed as the 'best player' as such at Liverpool.

Glad to see football gaf muppetry coming back. The place has been so dead without this thread to lurk.

Sterling has been the best for his age, the best prospect perhaps, but he never performed as the 'best player' as such at Liverpool.

Glad to see football gaf muppetry coming back. The place has been so dead without this thread to lurk.

Agreed. He wasn't the best player when Suarez and Sturridge were firing and he wasn't our best player last season either.

This year's signings are all about stabilisation anyway. It doesn't matter if Milner, Ings and Clyne aren't as glamorous or exciting as whatever United picks up. It matters that they're an improvement on the guys they are replacing.

Last season showed just how much Sturridge, Suarez and Sterling covered up Liverpool's fragility in other areas of the squad. The transfer committee (lol) has at least moved to address that.

He's had patches of being our best player, never been our best across a season though which is fair enough as he's had 2 seasons in which he's played in most of our games.

Certainly was on track to being our best player, which is the entire reason I'm annoyed rather than devestated that he's gone. Replacing what he gave us last year shouldn't be too much of an issue, but we've lost someone who could well be world class in 3 years' time.

Also, Milner and Clyne are huge upgrades on what we had last year to slot straight into the first 11, and it'd be very disappointing if Firmino can't at least be the equal of last season's Sterling. So that's 3 signings to go straight into the first 11 no question, and you criticise us for pissing about with bench players? You can do both at the same time, crazy I know.

Losing Sterling really shouldn't cause us to crumble (further), so its pretty plausible to have a good window despite selling him.

Meier

Well, whether or not you consider him the best player I guess is open to interpretation, but he was certainly their most prolific last season.

CJvaU5uWgAA7QxJ.jpg:large

Losing Sterling really shouldn't cause us to crumble (further), so its pretty plausible to have a good window despite selling him.

I agree with this. You all have done quite well when your English additions and will certainly add another solid player or two. Firmino is very, very talented and I think he'll be a great signing. I'd be surprised if Origi scored more than 5 or 6 goals though.

Well, whether or not you consider him the best player I guess is open to interpretation, but he was certainly their most prolific last season.

I agree with this. You all have done quite well when your English additions and will certainly add another solid player or two. Firmino is very, very talented and I think he'll be a great signing. I'd be surprised if Origi scored more than 5 or 6 goals though.

If Origi contributes anything it'd be a bonus tbh. Unreasonable to expect much from him when he was poor by all accounts in Ligue 1 last year. Maybe he'll surprise us, not sure he'll get much chance to though. Reckon he might go on loan to Norwich or somewhere in January if he's not getting enough minutes.

That image must be from before the season ended. Stevie scored nine and was our top scorer in the league, Raheem scored seven, Coutinho five. But he was one of our most prolific as you said, it can't be debated.

Also, beware those stats for his shooting. Its the area where he really does need to improve massively if he's to be the player he's capable of being. Everything else important is very good for his age, his shooting is genuinely poor though.

Skii

If Wenger had the sack to play two forwards again this would have already been done. Kill the boy Arsene and let the man be born.

Lacazette isn't very good though. Imagine spending £30m on him.

Also, Arsenal don't need to play 2 forwards. No top team in Europe does that anymore. I wonder why...

Jarnet87

Lacazette isn't very good though. Imagine spending £30m on him.

Also, Arsenal don't need to play 2 forwards. No top team in Europe does that anymore. I wonder why...

Atletico have played 4-4-2 recently, I also think Arsenal have the quality to play something other then 4-3-3/4-2-3-1 if they added a good striker. Ramsey and Arteta is more then good enough for most premier league fixtures as a central midfield pair. They've got lot of pace on the wings with Walcott, Oxlade, and Sanchez.

Don't think I've seen Lacazette play, was more just linking him to Arsenal because he's french lol, but I do feel like another quality striker is what they are most in need of. Giroud can't do it alone.

Meier

Sounds like Vidal to Bayern is picking up a lot of steam. Supposedly told his family at a BBQ that he was headed to Bayern and now many outlets are reporting it as nearly done. €30-40m fee.

Skii

Atletico have played 4-4-2 recently, I also think Arsenal have the quality to play something other then 4-3-3/4-2-3-1 if they added a good striker. Ramsey and Arteta is more then good enough for most premier league fixtures as a central midfield pair. They've got lot of pace on the wings with Walcott, Oxlade, and Sanchez.

Don't think I've seen Lacazette play, was more just linking him to Arsenal because he's french lol, but I do feel like another quality striker is what they are most in need of. Giroud can't do it alone.

Atletico play 4-4-2 because of the way they are regimented. Very unique team. Has players that are average technically but have such a strong mentality and cohesive unit that they can compete at the very top. They are an exception for me.

I don't like the idea of deviating from 4-2-3-1 just yet. Still feel like it is the superior formation in Europe at the moment. Gives you such a good advantage in midfield which is paramount for any big team. Walcott also plays like a second striker when he starts on the right so we don't really miss out on the 4-4-2. Just feel like it is inferior given the current state of football.

Lacazette was poor when I watched him (granted only a couple of times). He's similar to Bent. No real technical ability but a great goal scorer. Afraid that isn't enough at the top level.

All these stories with Pedro possibly leaving Barca, I really thought Arsenal would make a hard push after him. Seems to be a perfect fit.

Not a perfect fit for Arsenal at all. Very similar to Walcott and not adapted to the league. He'd be the last person we'd sign. We only need a class striker and possibly a left winger/left midfielder.

Sounds like Vidal to Bayern is picking up a lot of steam. Supposedly told his family at a BBQ that he was headed to Bayern and now many outlets are reporting it as nearly done. €30-40m fee.

Very good signing for them if it goes through. They lack dynamism and pace in midfield. So easy to overrun Alonso and Lahm because of age.

Blablurn

----------------------Neuer

Lahm - Boateng-----------Benatia - Alaba

--------------------Vidal-----------------------------

-------------------------------Thiago-----------------

Robben --------------Müller--------------Ribery

-------------------------Lewandowski

i2jh80atGPQWU.png

Second squad

----------------------------Ulreich

Rafinha ----------- Dante ----------- Badstuber ---- Bernat

---------------------- Alonso --------------------------

------------------------------------Martinez

Götze ---------------- Höjbjerg --------------- Costa

---------------------- X

Not a perfect fit for Arsenal at all. Very similar to Walcott and not adapted to the league. He'd be the last person we'd sign. We only need a class striker and possibly a left winger/left midfielder.

He would be absolutely perfect. Works like a mad man without the ball, harasses defenders with constant high pressure, tremendous quickness which would work perfect with guys like Sanchez/Ox/Walcott, can play as winger or poacher...

i2jh80atGPQWU.png

How many matches, though?

Blablurn

He would be absolutely perfect. Works like a mad man without the ball, harasses defenders with constant high pressure, tremendous quickness which would work perfect with guys like Sanchez/Ox/Walcott, can play as winger or poacher...

How many matches, though?

You marked the wrong guy. The question probably concerns Ribery more.

You marked the wrong guy. The question probably concerns Ribery more.

Tore his abs, comes back, couple days later tears his calf muscle. His injuries keep getting worse and worse. It used to always small ailments here and there, but I'm afraid late last season was a sign of things to come.

Actually, should've marked both.

Jarnet87

Atletico play 4-4-2 because of the way they are regimented. Very unique team. Has players that are average technically but have such a strong mentality and cohesive unit that they can compete at the very top. They are an exception for me.

I don't like the idea of deviating from 4-2-3-1 just yet. Still feel like it is the superior formation in Europe at the moment. Gives you such a good advantage in midfield which is paramount for any big team. Walcott also plays like a second striker when he starts on the right so we don't really miss out on the 4-4-2. Just feel like it is inferior given the current state of football.

Yes the three in midfield is better suited for Europe, but I think 4-4-2 could help them in the Prem. I thought last season that they could have gone with a 4-3-1-2 with Giroud and Sanchez up front.

i2jh80atGPQWU.png

Second squad

----------------------------Ulreich

Rafinha ----------- Dante ----------- Badstuber ---- Bernat

---------------------- Alonso --------------------------

------------------------------------Martinez

Götze ---------------- Höjbjerg --------------- Costa

---------------------- X

were talking about Pepern here, watch him play Vidal as a CB like Macherano, and keeping Lahm in midfield.

Van Gaal just said Victor Valdes will be sold according to Sky Sports News. Probably means De Gea is going to Real on a free transfer next season

A lot of people thought we were just signing him so he could get back on his feet and into training, the routine and all. I still think we lose De Gea but I'm glad van Gaal and Woody appear to be playing hardball.

Nicktendo86

Van Gaal just said Victor Valdes will be sold according to Sky Sports News. Probably means De Gea is going to Real on a free transfer next season
Basically said he is being sold as he refused to play in the reserves.

That's two players lvg has a long working relationship with who he has fucked out of the club, love it. No time for sentiment.

Fdkn

Basically said he is being sold as he refused to play in the reserves.

That's two players lvg has a long working relationship with who he has fucked out of the club, love it. No time for sentiment.

Actually he had that same problem with Valdes back in... 2002 I think, when he refused to go back to play a match with Barça B.

Firmino isn't similar to Sterling...

"A good young player" lol. Last summer, most Liverpool fans were hailing him as the greatest young player in the world. Sterling is certainly as talented as Sturridge, not as injury prone and has more scope for improvement because of age.

I like how you are saying this as if people were saying that halfway through the season or even towards the end of the season. People had very high expectations of Sterling after how well 2013-2014 went as well as his performance during the World Cup. While he was excellent during the first half of Liverpool's abysmal season, where he was the only shinning bright light, he got completely overshadowed by Coutinho by the second half of the season so much so that he won Liverpool's best player of the year award and was in the BPL team of the season starting XI. Sterling's end product was absolutely trash and he was often criticized about this. It only got worse once the news broke that he didn't want the 100k contract and people just got fed up overtime due to his performances just not being up to snuff.

Seriously, the only reason Sterling commanded such as high price was his potential, his homegrown status and more importantly his nationality. We've known for ages how the English tax affects the price of English players. Quick to forget the 30 million price tag of Luke Shaw? Where has he been lately?

Coutinho was out best player last season, hands down. At the moment, Sturridge and Coutinho have that spot as well. We'll see how they do along with Firmino next season. With that being said, you are correct about the rest as to how Clyne might disappoint and how we need better players who aren't squad players.

Best wishes.

Yeah a few days ago I started to play with the idea of De Gea going on a free next summer now I'm positive this will happen and I'm actually ok with it.

Unkle

Yeah a few days ago I started to play with the idea of De Gea going on a free next summer now I'm positive this will happen and I'm actually ok with it.

Same. He's probably our best player and will prove invaluable for a season that'll include the Champions League, too. It also sends out a message that we won't be taken for mugs with regards to his transfer - it'll be done on United's terms and nothing else. The fee being bandied about the past few months is a drop in the bucket for a team of United's finances so it makes sense to keep him.

DBT85

I'm hoping something happens or he realises Madrid are cunts and just signs on.

I'm not expecting it to happen though.

Tubie

Same. He's probably our best player and will prove invaluable for a season that'll include the Champions League, too. It also sends out a message that we won't be taken for mugs with regards to his transfer - it'll be done on United's terms and nothing else. The fee being bandied about the past few months is a drop in the bucket for a team of United's finances so it makes sense to keep him.

You get to keep an unhappy/unmotivated player that wants to be somewhere else and then get nothing in return a year after that ordeal.

And a player of that caliber going to a CL rival for free to me is worse than "being taken for mugs".

fuenf

QwBge0H.gif

I haven't changed. Bayern has changed.

Over the last two seasons, we saw the Guardiola proclaim that our time for change has come. But there were those who doubted this club's desire for something new, who said the triple was a fluke, not to be repeated again.

The change we seek has always required great struggle and great sacrifice. And so this is a battle in our own hearts and minds about what kind of club we want and how hard we're willing to work for it.

So let me remind you that change will not be easy. Change will take time. There will be setbacks and false starts and sometimes we'll make mistakes.

Don't tell me we can't change.

Yes, we can. Yes, we can change. Yes, we can.

Fo27a9M.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom