• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2014/15 |OT1| - Mes Que Un... Community

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blablurn

CKC2eH8UAAASZXz.jpg

Kirchoff looks so dead

Can't see Bayern giving up their strongest and main striker (especially one who is easily world class and up there with Suarez) and after they said there would be no more transfers to United this window.

I think there's more chance of Cavani or Kane happening. As long as it's not Higuain. Lacazette is a bit of a risk.

For the price Lacazette is a risk but if Benteke is worth £30m then they can get top dollar for him.

Kane is most likely, but Lewo would be my top target.

Can't see Bayern giving up their strongest and main striker (especially one who is easily world class and up there with Suarez) and after they said there would be no more transfers to United this window.

I think there's more chance of Cavani or Kane happening. As long as it's not Higuain. Lacazette is a bit of a risk.

Higuain still scored 18 goals last season. Just don't let him take PK's and he should be good.

Meier

Our new away kit was shown today as well. It's not too shabby.

Very sharp.

It took him a little while but Benteke seemed to be past the injury as the season wore down so I don't think it's that bad of business in this market. They'll have about £4.5m of the Sterling sale left to spend after the Benteke.. unless Villa are willing to allow some of the transfer to be incentivized.

RagingPhoenix

Neo Member
If Benteke pulls in 32m (yea yea release clause), then I can't imagine what unholy sum Kane would command.

Its Spurs,they'd probably quote Ronaldo's fee for him.

Ah yes, fair point. Lacazette would still be better value than Kane imo. Hernandez is definitely off then?

Hmmm.

I'm reconsidering my lukewarm reaction to Benteke having now watched a few YT videos of his goals from last season.

Watched one of Firmino too. He seems to have pace to spare.

No. His agent said that they dont even think about this. Bayern wont let him leave, not for a 100 million. Götze will stay in munich too.

His agent is fucking idiot, though.

"There must be a signal from the club. There is none, so we don't think about a transfer because just thinking about a transfer would be unfair to the current employer."

That guy is fucking hilarious
when Lewa's not at you club :lol

I don't really see how you can compare the two players since they're completely different players.. but no, no he's not. He's a very good player though and I've no doubt that he will bag 15 goals for Liverpool.

Its impossible to judge whether he's better than Sterling. He came into form just as Sterling started playing like complete shit at the back end of last season. As you say though, pointless comparing them directly anyway. Sterling is no striker, even if he had to play up front regularly last season

Meier

remember when Schneiderlin dump him on his arse?

http://i.imgur.com/3RcfJ9z.gif[IMG]

liability m8[/QUOTE]
He definitely was a liability at times last season. No doubt. Better down the stretch though.

But honestly, that gif is fun and funny to watch, but it's not like anything came of that so its kind of pointless.

Nyx

Just watched the friendly game between Utrecht and Dundee United (4-0), pretty sure this guy is going to be a fan favorite this season:

louis-nganioni-vous-raconte-son-parcours_136480.jpg

Louis Nganioni, U-21 French international on loan from Olympique Lyon. Attacking left-back.

Unkle

I would've said Benteke was overpriced but since Sterling I just don't know anymore...

This being an almost carbon copy of Torres = Carroll is pretty funny though.

United show interest in Firmino, Pool pay more than they would've. A few well-known journalists say that United are looking at Benteke, and now Liverpool rush and pay a little over the odds for the Belgian.

That said, I think he's a stunning buy.

United show interest in Firmino, Pool pay more than they would've. A few well-known journalists say that United are looking at Benteke, and now Liverpool rush and pay a little over the odds for the Belgian.

That said, I think he's a stunning buy.

What was the expected price of Firmino? Sky has the transfer fee down as 21.5m, which seems to be about what players his age/ability/rep go for.

Unkle

What was the expected price of Firmino? Sky has the transfer fee down as 21.5m, which seems to be about what players his age/ability/rep go for.

Most places (BBC, Guardian, even Sky etc) have the fee down as £29m for Firmino, which is a lot more than what it was reported United were going to get him for.

Makes sense, though. Feign interest and it'll spook your rivals into action. Plus the selling club gets an extra chunk of change in the process! It's probably no coincidence that the day after there's 'interest' from United for Benteke Liverpool go and pay his buyout.

Sunderland have signed Tottenham defender Younes Kaboul for an undisclosed fee.

The 29-year-old, who has agreed a four-year deal with the Black Cats, will end his second spell as a Spurs player.

The move comes seven years after the Frenchman's agent said his client "wouldn't join Sunderland even if there was an earthquake".

Amazing.

Most places (BBC, Guardian, even Sky etc) have the fee down as £29m for Firmino, which is a lot more than what it was reported United were going to get him for.

Makes sense, though. Feign interest and it'll spook your rivals into action. Plus the selling club gets an extra chunk of change in the process! It's probably no coincidence that the day after there's 'interest' from United for Benteke Liverpool go and pay his buyout.

This was what I was referring to:

http://www.skysports.com/liverpool-transfers

I don't know how much media reports actually play into these things. Their effect is probably greatly overstated - especially when you consider how bunk most of the transfer-rumiur reportage tends to be.

I don't know how much media reports actually play into these things. Their effect is probably greatly overstated - especially when you consider how bunk most of the transfer-rumiur reportage tends to be.

Yeah

Firminos price wouldn't have just jumped from 21 to 29m because we thought Man Utd were interested, and if it happened gradually as the result of a bidding war, more reports would have come out about Man Utd trying to sign him. iirc, there was a flurry of Man Utd reports when the season ended, then they just stopped, and a couple of weeks later we'd signed him.

Maybe paid a premium to get it done early and prevent competition for it.

Benteke was always going to go for the release clause as well. With so much time left when we first set him in our sights, it was worth trying to get him for lower, but it was never likely to happen and we're at the point now where we just accept that we'll be meeting the clause, and want him involved in our preseason as much as possible

Unkle

It depends, really. Sometimes a band of in-the-know journalists can be briefed on certain bits of information by the club itself, you can usually tell if it's a load of well-known journalists breaking the story at roughly the same time. Each club has its own well-known journalists, Ogden for United, Barrett for Liverpool etc. For the majority of outlets, however, their overall effect is definitely overstated but there is times when certain information is 'leaked out' for specific effect by the clubs themselves.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom